Stores > West Elm

Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.88/10 1.88/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.08/10 2.08/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.27/10 2.27/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.79/10 1.79/10
Voice your opinion! Review West Elm by clicking a star below.
2018-01-05

Worst customer service

"Terrible customer service! I was incorrectly charged for my order and had to wait over the phone for over an hour to get assistance. The order was still wrong when I received it and when processing my return it was a nightmare! Management was horrible and the overall experience was the worst. I will not be shopping with them in the future."

2018-01-03

Bookcase arrive quick and in perfect conditon

"I purchased a final clearance Sohm bookcase at the end of Nov 17 2017 It said delivery was 2-4 weeks. Within a couple of days I had an email saying it was ready for delivery. I called and set a delivery date for Dec 5. I did not have a long phone hold time like others said but I did call early in the AM on a weekday when I felt I was most likely to get the regular full time staff (vs Christmas help). A couple of days before delivery I got a call with a 2 hour window for delivery. On delivery day they called me and said they were running early--I was home and glad to have them show up ASAP before it started to rain. 2 men delivered it and set it up. They even leveled the feet so the unit was perfect and took the trash. The bookcase is super well made and I love the unique look. I did have to pay $200 for delivery as it was not available for pickup at my local store. I did find that annoying. I am completely happy"

2018-01-01

Bad customer service

"Associates at the Avalon location in Alpharetta, GA are unwilling to help you. Would prefer if you don’t ask questions and avoid you like the plague until you get to the checking counter."

2017-12-23

Almost two months of waiting & still no items!

"I ordered a headboard & bed frame from West Elm in early November. After my purchase, I realized the shipping was going to take longer than expected & we would have moved to a new address prior to the shipment even being proceseed. I called right away & had the shipping address changed on my order. After spending over 2.5 HOURS on the phone in one single day, I was assured everything was taken care of. It wasn’t. I received a call from the shipping company that my items were ready for delivery to my old address. I spoke with the shipping company & they assured me my shipping address had been updated. I reached out via phone again on numerous occasions (always with huge wait times), received two specific personal emails for Customer Service reps, one of which literally wrote to me, “I cannot help you anymore. Only the shipping company can help you now.” That is unacceptable to me. Again, I spoke with more representatives of both West Elm & the third party shipping company after again receiving notice that my items were again ready for delivery to my old address. It is now almost 2 months after I ordered this and I have no idea where my things are. We ordered a mattress from Macy’s and it’s being delivered 2 days later (even with the holiday rush). West Elm Customer Service is abhorrent, incompetent and frankly, despicable. I’ve reached out via twitter, received a generic response and still nothing. No one has contacted me or assisted me in any way in weeks. I’ve asked that my entire order & shipping be canceled if they cannot deliver and again, no response. This is unreal! Someone needs to look into their bogus business practices. (Side note: While complaining about this situation, i found that my best friend (across the country) also ordered furniture from west elm & is basically going through the same ordeal-bogus promises of free shipping, no estimated delivery date, etc. Unreal.)"

2017-12-16

Still no coffee table, keep being promised a call

"Dear West Elm,

Weeks ago, I ordered a coffee table from West Elm. I was assured in writing that it would be delivered to my house this Wednesday (see below). However, when the delivery men showed up on Monday morning, they were missing half the table. They had only the base and no tabletop, nor an explanation. So, we stood there in the cold on the porch for a half hour while I tried to get an answer from your customer service people by phone--an assurance, at least, that there would be a tabletop on the way if I accepted the base, as I didn't want to be stuck with only a base if you didn't have the tabletops in stock. Unfortunately, the person on the phone was unable to tell where my tabletop was or if you had any in stock (which is hard to understand), so she suggested I deny the order. I did, signing that spot on the delivery men's paper and noting on there that I was doing so at the customer service people's suggestion because they were missing half the table. The woman on the phone promised she would call me by the end of the business day Monday. No one called.

So, on TUESDAY at 4:30 p.m., I called your customer service people again and was told "Oh, this says the tabletop was on its way; I don't know why the first lady on the phone couldn't see that note." I asked when I could expect my table, and she said "Well this says you accepted the order of the base." I explained that not only had I denied that delivery, but that I A) had done so because YOUR PEOPLE suggested I wait until they had the whole table or a promise of one, and B) had signed the spot on the form denying the delivery AND WRITTEN A NOTE ABOUT WHY. Hearing this, she promised she would call me by close of business today (Wednesday) and a "way of making it up" to me. It is 4:30 and I have not heard a word; I tried calling your people myself, which I shouldn't have to do, and was just on hold for half an hour.

I am livid. If I buy a $500 coffee table AND, mind you, pay $100 in shipping costs, which WILL be refunded, this is NOT the level of customer service that I expect. I have wasted 105 minutes on the phone, 15 minutes writing this email, a lot of angst, was late to work Monday because I was dealing with the delivery men and phone person, and I still don't seem to deserve a call back or a delivery of my table? I don't think so.

I now have people coming to town for the holidays and no coffee table, and I am beyond unimpressed with the way West Elm has treated me.

2017-12-15

Gift Card Fraud

"I had the same experience as a former reviewer on gift cards i ordered. To make a long story short I never received my gift cards, but West Elm processed my money I paid for them. It came down to being referred to gift card dept which doesn't allow me to talk to a person, just leave a message and they will get back within 24 hours. 3 times I left my concern and never received a call back. This is after calls to customer service with same response. In the end i called my credit card company and they refunded my money and said they would try to retrieve their money for gift cards from West Elm. Good luck on that. Never deal with this unreputable company!"

2017-12-11

Horrible Reviews

"The reviews on West Elm are appalling. Booking sakes that they never deliver, failing to regund customers, etc.why aren't they being investigated for fraud? They are owned by a publicly traded company. "

2017-12-11

Shipping Nightmare

"Still waiting to receive sheets I ordered almost three months ago. No one there knows where the sheets are or when they will be shipped. They can only give estimates and say they are at the mercy of their vendor. The sheets were originally backordered, but my estimated ship dates was only 5 days after my order. Almost three months later, countless delays (which they didn't notify me of, I had to look online and/or inquire) and still waiting. "

2017-12-08

Extremely disappointed and frustrated

"I ordered a gift card on 11/25. I received a shipping confirmation on 11/27 with an estimated delivery date of 11/30. I was charged for the amount of the gift card on 11/27 as well. I finally decided I should call and check on things yesterday 12/7 since I still had not received the gift card I ordered. The first call, I sat on hold for 15 minutes just to have the call drop. I called back and this time I was on hold for 18 minutes. I did finally speak to a customer service representative. She reported the card as lost and told me it appeared it had never been delivered. Unfortunately there is no way to track it because it was mailed via USPS regular mail. She told me I should receive an email and she resubmitted the order. Fast forward to today. I still have not received any kind of email response so I decided to call again. This time, I literally sat on hold for 30 minutes before finally speaking to someone. This customer service representative told me that the order had been canceled and resubmitted but it could take up to 10 days before it is processed. That just won't work! This was a gift for someone. SOOO I asked her to just cancel the order and credit me back for the amount I spent. She could not process my request. She had to input it into the system and she said the "gift card" department would do it. At this point I have no earthly idea if I will ever get the money back I spent on this gift card. I will never do business with West Elm again. It's a shame because their store and products are nice but with such horrible online service, it's just not worth the hassle for me."

2017-12-07

Deceptive advertising

"I bought a Kasbah "100% wool" rug from West Elm. I was specifically looking for 100% wool rug. I looked at it in my local store and ended up purchasing it online for a better price. I rolled it out, examined it, liked it, placed my furniture and discarded all the packing materials. Now am looking at the tag that came on the rug with care instructions and the fiber content is listed as 44% wool, 42% cotton, 12% polyester and 2% other fibers. I contacted customer service and after a very long wait, I was curtly informed that the fiber content was indeed 100% wool and "sometimes these things happen". There was no apology for clearly making one false statement or any mention about resolving the discrepancy for future customers leaving me still feeling uncertain about the actual fiber content and feeling duped. I will not be shopping at West Elm again."

2017-11-28

Worst customer experience!!!!

"Worst customer experience. Long telephone delays, staff are unhelpful and constantly say matter is escalated. Clearly no escalation given I have to constantly follow up with them!!

Will never buy from them, can't deal with this lack of competence - call centre in usa and has been the worst call centre service I have experienced!

2017-10-25

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE ORDER FURNITURE FROM WEST ELM!!!

"I ordered over $4000 worth of furniture pieces from West Elm in Brooklyn on April 4, 2017 and I am still waiting to receive an item from this order over 6 months later.

There were so many issues with this order.

1. Mid Century Office Chair in Stone in Twill

I ordered a Mid-Century Office Chair in Stone in Twill. At the time I ordered it, this item was supposed readily available for delivery via UPS and was stated with an estimated delivery date of April 12, 2017. Well, I never received a tracking number after over a month had gone past not hearing from West Elm, I called them and was told that the chair was available for delivery, but had some how magically be misplaced and they had to reorder and resend the chair to me.

2. I ordered:
- Henry 76" sofa (delivered fine)
- 2 Henry armchairs (delivered fine)
- Mid Century Mini Desk (delivered fine)
- Hayes Media Console (originally delivered damaged and was replaced)
- Shadow Box Coffee Table (still have not received as of 10:59 am on October 25, 2017.

All totaled, I spent over $4300 in this one order.

3. Shadow Box Coffee Table

Initially this item was supposed to be delivered on July 3, 2017 with the other items mentioned above in #2. However, I received a call from the fulfillment department stating that the item arrived to them damaged and they would issue a replacement. I NEVER HEARD FROM WEST ELM after this. Fast forward 1.5 months to August 22 from July 3rd and I still hadn't heard anything. I had to call them to see what happened with my order. I spoke with a Furniture associate and she told me that the warehouse made a note to follow up on the order, but "NO FURTHER ACTION WAS TAKEN." However, in a screen that she had access to, it stated that the item was delivered. Also, on their website in my order profile, it said the item was delivered, when it had never left the warehouse. She stated that first the delivery hub in Cranberry, NJ would have to prove that they delivered the coffee table before she could initiate a replacement. She also stated that she sent an email to Las Vegas furniture. She claimed that an answer would be received from the delivery hub within 24 hours and that if there wasn't any issues she would be able to initiate a replacement order for the coffee table. I didn't hear anything in 8 days, so I called them again on August 30 and spoke to another person who said the delivery hub confirmed that the coffee table was not delivered, but the replacement ordered hadn't been initiated, so she reordered the table and gave me a new order number and it would take 4-6 weeks before the table would be ready for delivery. This item was supposed to be ready to schedule delivery by no later than October 12, but I preemptively called West Elm on October 5 because I was going to be out of the country during the time the item was scheduled to be ready for delivery and I wanted them to call my mom when the item was ready so that the delivery could be scheduled. This time, I spoke to a man and he told me the table was in fulfillment at the vendor and was set to be delivered to the Cranberry hub on October 6 and that after it arrived in the hub, it would be scheduled for delivery. Well October 6 rolled past and a left on October 8 for my vacation. When I got back on October 15, my mom had not heard from West Elm and neither had I, so I called West Elm furniture on October 17 to see what the status was of the table. It was found in the delivery hub and I was given several dates to choose from. Since I was leaving for another trip on October 26th and the only date they provided that would work for my mom and I, I scheduled the delivery for today, October 25. I was told that the day before the delivery (October 24) I would be notified of the delivery window. Well, October 24 rolled past and I heard NOTHING from West Elm. I had to call them this morning, October 25 to find out that my delivery window was 10:30 am to 12:30 pm (NOTE: I was on said call at 10:28 am this morning). Over 6.5 months to get a table and I honestly don't believe that this table will ever be delivered.

DO NOT ORDER ONLINE ONLY FURNITURE
DO NOT ORDER SPECIAL ORDER FURNITURE
DO NOT ORDER FURNITURE PERIOD FROM WEST ELM

FYI, this is not indicative of online only either. I worked part time at a West Elm store and the sh*t happened whether an order was being delivered through the store or through the website online.

2017-10-25

what kind of major company has no price adjustment policy?!?!?

"The price of the quilt I ordered went down over 50% in just two weeks and they wont credit me back anything. On top of that they make most sale items final sale to trap you!"

2017-10-23

Ordered chairs and they look awesome

"The chairs needed assembly but they arrived quickly and in perfect condition. Thank you"

2017-10-19

Get your sh*t together West Elm

"Ordered a table with chairs:
- on site said items would ship the following week
- on checkout said items would ship the following month
- checking the status manually two days later and the site said shipping next year (4 months later)

Previous order of a quilt:
- mentioned it would ship within 4 weeks
- manually checked order on date it was to be shipped and found the order was cancelled by west elm.

Pro tips:
1 - send order status emails or texts
2 - let people know where their orders are

Share West Elm's store rating

West Elm is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

West Elm is not a merchant member
West Elm does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!