Stores > The Container Store
  • The Container S

Product & services pricing Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
Voice your opinion! Review The Container Store by clicking a star below.

Horrendous customer service

"Wow, I wish I'd checked Reseller Ratings before ordering from what I thought was a reputable company. Not only did they sit on my order for an entire week before shipping it and charging me an extra $16 for "free shipping," but they sent my shelves in their original boxes, which are clearly not meant for shipping. As a result, both boxes arrived damaged and damaged the product inside. Their communication was terrible--I received no order confirmation by email until almost a week after placing the order.

Because they were so large and bulky, I didn't want to have to deal with returning them and offered for them to credit me for the damaged items. The rep said they would not and that I would have to bring them back to the store, or I'd have to package them back up for UPS. I asked for a supervisor, who refused to provide me with any identifying information other than a first name, and refused to call me back when I ran out of time because I was on the phone with them for so long. Truly awful customer service. I will never order from them again.

Nice store. Awful customer service.

"Attempted to buy some merchandise. Used my Visa card. The reader said "approved" but would immediately after time out (not printing a receipt). I was asked to try it again and the same thing happened twice. I was asked to try a third time and I refused because I knew those charges were going through. I did not take the merchandise with me. I was told to come back with copies of my bank charges if they had gone through. A couple of days later I went back to the store with copies of my bank charges as requested. At first I was told all manager had left the store for the day??? When I persisted, a manager miraculously appeared. Explained the situation and allowed him to make copies of my paperwork, Manager would not make a decision without first contacting their Accounting Department. I has been approx. one week and they billed my Visa for $100+, without giving me any merchandise, and the bureaucracy goes on. It is uncertain whether I will ever get my money back but be aware, I am not giving up. It is not the $100 but the principle of the thing. I will take them to Small Claims Court if I have to. Beautiful store, lousy Customer Service. Not worth the aggravation. "

Don't Expect Prompt Shipping...

"The Container Store advertises that you should receive your order in 3 to 7 days. I placed an order on 6/22/16, and it was processing for 5 of those business days. I contacted them on 6/28 asking if and when my order would be shipping, and was sent a form letter in response that my items had shipped (not reflected on their website until late today, 6/29) The response was timely, to their credit. However, my order of two modular desks (where you order each part separate, like the legs and the desk top) was shipped in 8 different packages, arriving on three different days. The desk tops, which they charged an extra $20 a piece to ship, are not arriving until 7/05. This is going to leave me with 6 boxes of parts sitting around my house for 6 days until I can put them together. Charging (a lot) extra for shipping, delivering outside of their estimate, and having items arrive 6 days apart is just not good service in this day and age. I hope the desks are worth it, but I don't think I'll be ordering from The Container Store again. "

"I love that the store sells unique items that you cannot find elsewhere. The reason they want to speak with you on the phone is to find out if you know how to install the closet items you have in your design. The product line, Elfa, is exclusively theirs. It may look like something you find in Home Depot or Lowe's, but it's not, it's a higher quality. You CAN install it yourself, but you'll need to have them explain how to do it first so you don't install it incorrectly and then write a bad review because it doesn't work correctly. Instead of having to read all the "instruction manuals" they talk to you on the phone, or in person, to make sure you understand how to install and use their products so you won't be disappointed with them. I'd rather have that any day than to get a product shipped to my home and then struggle with trying to read the instructions and take all my time just to put it together incorrectly. I'm glad that they care so much for their customers that they are willing to spend time with each one of them to make sure they are completely "in the know" about their products. Thanks! Container Store."

"Looking to utilize the free online design service.

This is classic bait and switch. You gather ALL the information they need: measurements, storage options you'd like, etc.

Should be simple - instead you're greeted with "we need to talk to you about this design" on the webpage. There is no design delivered before the conversation.

Classic high pressure model where they'll try to get you to buy something more than you need. Otherwise, just do the design.

Horrible business model.....terrible....this isn't the 1970's, container store.

"This place is literally an anti Semitic shit hole, or a concentration camp. I was trying to buy myself a trash bin and I was harassed and asked to leave the store for apparently abusing an article. I talked to a store employee and she asked me what race are you from and I said that I was Jewish. She looked at me and left instantly and asked security to take me away and she said I don't want your kind in here."

"Ordered my product online.Product is great, but the customer service is lacking. I was contacted after leaving a positive review that did not properly install, when the shelf did not come with instructions and the created an incident number from my review. The emails were very ugly and they removed my review. Would not recommend due to customer service"

"I placed an order over 5 days ago, and it is still "in process" and not shipped. Ridiculous!!!"

"I have placed two orders with The Container Store and both my experiences were the same.
The products I ordered were in stock but did not ship for 3 days on the first order and at least 5 days on the second.
The products I ordered were exactly as described, and the price was fair, but the lack of promptness in shipping will make this my last order with them.

"Good selection of products, the store is endlessly fascinating. You can avoid shipping charges if you arrange for pickup at your local store. It worked great and saved me a lot of time. One item was mistakenly left out of my order and they shipped it to me at no charge."

"Very slow shipping (five days to process an order). In this day and age, unacceptable service."

"I am very happy with my new Elfa Closet. I have more space than before. The closet looks as good as the cloths I store. I highly recommend it.

Share The Container Store's store rating

The Container Store is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

The Container Store is not a merchant member
The Container Store does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!