pier1.com
2 reviews

2017-09-19

Always friendly service

"I shopped at Pier 1 since college. They always have unique items, especially for holiday decor. I spend most of my time at Pier 1 during the fall and winter for Halloween & Christmas decorations. Their candles are great too. Everyone I've ever experienced at a Pier 1 over the years has always been friendly and wanting to help."

2016-12-30

Poor customer service

"My mother and I went to the Hanover Pier 1 on December 30, 2016 at around 1:30 pm to return two items that had been gifted to us for Christmas. We did not have receipts for these items, because they were gifts and it is a bit gauche to ask for receipts with Christmas gifts. Unfortunately, the employees who helped us were fairly rude and hostile, especially the manager. She bluntly told my mother that she had no idea whether these items were a "re-gift" and that she could not give us anything but a couple of dollars of store credit. This was after she had already searched and found versions of both items in the store's database, and both cost around $30. Perhaps in the past the store may have had experiences with shady returns, but it is humiliating to be wrongly accused of something this absurd in front of your family and peers.
While we fully understand that Pier 1's return policy may be such as to not accept returns (especially late ones) without receipt, my mother and I were appalled at the way we were condescended to, and we regretted ever having come into the store. I will for sure never patronize a Pier 1 again, after having been accused by its staff of basically returning stolen merchandise. I will also recommend that my extended family and friends hear about this experience. Many have been loyal Pier 1 customers for years.
It is management's job to establish store policies, but it is the brand's reputation that suffers when those policies are implemented by employees who are not well versed in the basic fundamentals of customer service. In a dying industry such as this one, I would take care to preserve the one thing that distinguishes Pier 1 from Amazon and other retailers who are quickly eclipsing it--a warm personal touch.

M&C

Share Pier 1 Imports's store rating

Own this store? Claim your page for free!