Product & services pricing 3.83/10
Shipping & packaging: 2.79/10
Customer service: 1.32/10
Return/Replacement policy: 1.17/10
2017-03-17

Wish I read the reviews before using this website.

"I only ordered through Musician's Friend because they had the guitar I was looking for in stock. So, I Bought a $1300 guitar on 3/13/17 hoping all they had to do was ship it. The 14th and 15th go by and the status is still processing. I called them and was explained that since it was an expensive item they had to verify it wasn't a fraudulent purchase. This wouldn't be a problem if I was notified I needed to do something before they could move forward. So that wasted two days. Then, I called in on the 16th and they said it had shipped at 9 am that morning. As I write this review on 3/17/17, the tracking info finally started working and I see it did not ship out of Musicians Friend until 7pm on 3/16. There seems to be a lot of wasted time in the process. The customer service was adequate, but I would believe the other reviews of their inadequacy if my order had been more complicated. If I had to do it again, I would undoubtedly go with Sweetwater or any other website. The guitar is scheduled to arrive on 3/20 and if there are any other delays I will be back here updating with a lower star review then I have given them now.

edit:
3/20/17 as a follow up I have received my guitar a week after purchasing it. I was very nervous after reading all other reviews and stayed on them about every step of the process. In my personal experience I didn't have too much of a problem with the process but I wouldn't use them again due to all the other negative reviews. Initially I rated them a 2/5 stars but have amended my rating to a 3/5 stars

Helpful (1) Cool

2017-03-06

Screwed by their incompetence

"I ordered a guitar that is always on back order, so I was like a kid waiting for Christmas morning when I received an email with a tracking number stating my order had shipped. I ordered it over the phone, so I could be sure there were no problems Well, whoever took my order transposed numbers in my address. So, they day it was supposed to arrive, I checked the tracking order every 10 minutes. Near the end of the day, the tracking order says "undeliverable" and that the item was returned to the sender!! That is when I realized the person who took my order screwed up my address! After about 5 calls and several emails in which no one could comprehend that I WANTED the guitar and that it was sent to the WRONG address, they told me that I would be getting a refund. I am literally screaming "BUT I WANT THE GUITAR!!!" only to be told I would have to re-order the guitar and wait an additional 2 months for it to be available, AND would not get to use the 15% Presidents Day discount coupon I used when I ordered the guitar in the first place, making it $100 more than I paid the first time. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced and I DO NOT recommend that anyone take a chance ordering anything through this terrible company."

2017-03-01

Take heed of negative reviews on here.

"Purchased a discounted instrument from them advertised to be in "Level 1 Mint Condition". Called them for details and the rep assured me it would be just like brand new.

Instrument arrived with severe blemishes. Returned it for another one and asked the rep to have someone open the box and look inside before shipping it. Rep said that inspection prior to shipping was not possible. He reassured me this one would be like new. He also promised a 10% refund for the delays and hassle.

Weeks later the second one arrived with similar, severe blemishes. Sent pictures to the rep. He informed me that NOW they are being visually inspected at the warehouse.

Contacted the manufacturer. They and took care of the problem....mostly. Even this one shows signs of the blemishes being repaired rather than being a brand new as promised. It's not extreme though, so I never complained.

As for the 10% refund the MF rep promised, Musician's (is not your) Friend sent an invoice showing the refund. The credit never appeared on my card. After several unanswered emails to the MF rep, I had to file a chargeback and provide documentation to the credit card company to get that money.

2017-02-24

Shipped me the item, had UPS turn it around. Would not honor price.

"Purchased a Line 6 M13 Stompbox at a very attractive price. They shipped the item and halfway to the destination, they notified UPS to return the product to them. They claimed it was a "pricing error" and would not honor the advertised price even after they shipped it out."

2017-02-18

Service has deteriorated progressively!

"Their customer service has deteriorated during the over 10 years I've bought from them. 3 of last 5 items purchased arrived defective or damaged. Now taking up to a month to issue credit for returned items. Also, Backstage Pass points keep disappearing and they do not resolve the issue! "

2017-02-03

Awful going to small claims ☹☹

" Bought almost $2000 worth of gear including in the Alesis DMX 10 electronic drum kit. Sale price on it was $1100. The kid has been sent to them four times. Each time it comes back there's no itemization of what they are fixing . The kit simply remain is broken . Triggers don't respond the module glitches out . The worst part about it is I bought it over the phone. If I had any idea it was a third-party warranty I would have never bought it ! Musicians friend gets away with using words like replacement warranty. Come to find out in Wisconsin it's illegal to sell warrantees and third-party warranty is without full disclosure . So off the court I go !!! Word of advice don't Buy them !!! third-party warrantees are just insurance companies and scam artists !!!"

2017-01-18

Musician's Friend

"Spoke with upper management and resolved my issue. "

2017-01-16

Run Do Not Walk

"This place has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. They're unable to read the emails or they ignore them. Employee began chastising me when she hadn't a clue (although it was in an earlier email) what the issue was. I never did get resolution but did get some dumbass comments meant to irritate my customer experience that much more. For a relatively small order, they'll lose out on much more. Stay Away"

2017-01-08

Musicians FIEND finds new ways to disappoint daily

" I am literally amazed at how awful this company is. Just when I convince myself that I'm being too hard on them, they find a new way to be the absolute worst.
On NUMEROUS occasions I have made purchases online that they do not actually have. So basically no one updates stock online, I guess. They have tried to make up for these incidents twice by giving me a different product with a lower price and "expedited" shipping. On one of these occasions a week passed so I called and was told someone forgot to "process" the order, it was never put through, and the open box item I was expecting was now sold.
I was sold a guitar and told 24 months no interest payment plan, but actually given a 6 month plan instead so on month 7, over $100 interest had accrued and I was screwed.
Basically I have yet to have a please take transaction without having to work really hard for it on my end. My latest complaint. Having at least 50 effects pedals out of stock, I ordered one that I was told would arrive by January 7th. Today, January 8th, I have received a "back order notice" and told they do not know when they will have more, but I'm on the list when they get there. No estimation, just, "we will get one to you when we can". What kind of business does that!?!?!?!
Musicians Friend is that kind of friend that borrows your stuff, never gives it back, and eventually pawns it.

2017-01-04

Worst store to shop

"They charged my credit card more than they submit. After 3 hours calls / cheat session and emails, they finally said that they miscalculated my reward points before so they adjusted the points. That's why they charged more. I calculated my points and the results are not matched. Even if the issue like that, it was not my fault.
Do consider about return shipping cost. It is sometimes much more than the item itself since a lot of musical gears are heavy. So, it would be a better choice to shop from a store or some other web-store that accept FREE return shipping! Be careful about 45-day hassle free return policy! They do not pay for return shipping.

2016-12-30

Backstange Pass A Scam

"Recently I went to the Musiciansfriend site to check on a product and I noticed my Backstage Pass points were missing. To the tune of $320. The customer service was very nice and checked into the situation. I was told that since 2015 I was credited for items for the program that I paid for that did not qualify. So they gave me the points and then took them away. I see something wrong with that. They just lost a very long time customer."

2016-12-12

They sent the wrong Items and refuse to send the correct order immediately

"I ordered a bass and a case. I received 2 cases. My son opened his gift for Christmas and it was 2 cases. I called and tried to get them to send the bass right away and they refused until they received the extra case. Worst customer service. I assured a manager I would send the case back and she refused to send me the bass that I have already paid for. Never again will I order anything from Musicians Friend. Its bad enough that my son had to open a crapy gift, and then they refuse to correct it in a timely manner. Not once did they apologies for the mistake. "

2016-12-11

Cyber Monday Scam

"I placed an order on November 28th as a Christmas present on Cyber Monday. On Dec 1, I found out that one of the items was back ordered. On Dec 11, I found out that the back ordered item would not be available until February. The description, the order confirmation, and everything else about the process indicated that my order should be placed and fulfilled. It is not, and now I have to pay significantly more for an item to replace the item that they could not fulfill... I am unlikely to ever purchase from them again. "

2016-11-16

Fast international delivery, honest pricing, product better than expected

"I have bought from them online twice, shipping to Canada. The first time was just an order for bass strings, everything went fine and they arrived in good time. The second order was for an "open box" bass guitar listed on their site as "Level 2" and "blemished". I was a little nervous about this one because although the damage was described as minor I didn't know how honest they would be, and I didn't know whether it would really be the current model. (I had had a bad experience with a different online store.) But the gamble paid off: the bass is the current model, in excellent condition. I'm not even sure what the blemishes are supposed to be - it's really pretty much good as new.

It also arrived very promptly. There was a delay of about 3 days between the order being submitted to their international processing centre and it being shipped by the courier. I mailed a question to them but didn't get an answer; however my question would have reached them just as it went to the courier anyway. Not sure whether the question had any part in prompting that, but once passed to DHL it only took one day to arrive. Also, the borderfree tracking display does not get updated once it's handed over to DHL, so you have to use DHL's tracking from then on. Total international shipping time was only 5 business days - at the low end of what they state on their site.

So overall I have been pleased with their service and would buy from them again. I like the way their international shipping guarantees no extra charges on delivery by charging the Canadian tax upfront.

2016-10-13

Paid in full for a Gibson 59 reissue case 4 months later it came in, they wanted 140.99 more to ship

"Ordered and paid in full for a 59' Les Paul reissue case for my sons Birthday, They said 4 to 9 weeks, that was on June 20th 2016 . His birthday is October 14th so I figured no problem. well they kept assuring and thanks for being so patient, I received a cancellation notice on the 6th of October, I called them and was informed I owed another 140.99 for the case and they had been trying to get in touch with,, I was in constant contact with them ( 9 Emails from them to be exact ) so that was a lie, the next day she called me back, after she had to check on something. She Said we tried to refund your money but my cards had been canceled, The card I have had for over 10 years and still have it , so just more excuses, Then on 10/12/2016 at 9:00 pm I said I will pay you the 140.99 more so I will have my son's present. Then I was informed it would be 280.99 instead of 140.99 because she said we have already sent you a refund check for the original amount , so it goes like this, " The Check is in the Mail " which means they have my original " Paid in full " up front money and 4 months later, " We can get that case to you in time for your sons birthday, even though it;s 9:00 pm on Wednesday Night and his Birthday is Friday and all I have to do is pay them 280.99, because they say that they have sent me a refund for the initial full payment . Which of course I haven got this check.. I would be The Stupid Deal Of The Day... If I paid for one case in full 3 times and still didn't have the case
I have been advised by Musicians Friend that they cannot talk to me anymore because I have informed them I will take them to court if they did not give me the case I ordered and paid for 4 months ago. They did tell me this twice, they called me back and after telling me the first time offering the 280.99 deal and after I said no they said it again, I could hear a guy in the background instructing Amanda to say it to me. I will update this after court

Share Musician's Friend's store rating