Stores > Barnes and Noble

Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.56/10 1.56/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 2.14/10 2.14/10
Voice your opinion! Review Barnes and Noble by clicking a star below.
2018-02-20

I had a good experience with them

"They were willing to help with my order. Thanks!"

2018-02-19

Never order from Marketplace again.

"I ordered a book 7 days ago from a seller in New Jersey (I am in Michigan) As of today, no book. No confirmation of shipment. And no reply to the 3 emails I have sent the seller. Oh, but they took my money at order placement. I called Barnes and Noble, and they can’t help me. I could have gone to the store and picked it up over the weekend, but I have been under the weather so tried to save some time. Never again. I am likely out the money I paid, but I can’t get a response from anyone to even know if this is true. "

2018-02-12

Terrible, terrible service

"If there was an option for negative stars, I would have given that instead. I needed a textbook quick. I ordered it online, and waited, and waited. It never showed. I called in and spent over an hour on the phone with a representative. She said that my order never processed and and that they did not carry the book anymore. She said that I would be refunded and get a $25 gift certificate. The opposite actually happened. They withdrew money out of my account every month (for the book I never got), and then they withdrew over $50 for the book "buy out" even though I never got the book. When I called inquiring about the $50 withdrawal, they said that I never called in the first time. There was zero documentation and they did not do a thing to help the situation. I would never tell anyone to shop here. They basically stole over $75 from me. I never received the book, even though I now own it. Extremely disappointing that companies have to scam innocent people. "

2018-02-06

From an awesome company to online scammer

"In brief, I purchased a book for my son, they never delivered, their records shows delivered, when I called, they told me (with out asking any other question) they will return the money in 3 months. I got an email today: "We received your return. We processed a refund for the item(s) below in the amount of $0.00 to your original payment method. Please note, your refund amount may reflect a partial credit. " from a $45.00 dollars book that I never got. Yes it hurts to lose this money, but hurts more to trust a company that I used to admire and get scammed. I bought a dozen other book from other companies, none of them failed. B&N good bye for ever."

2018-02-03

Barnes and Nobles Customer Support is a joke

"I tried to order a book from the marketplace, but was concerned when I didn’t receive a confirmation email since I needed the book ASAP. I called into support who told me there was an issue with my browser and the order did not go through. I bought the book else where since I was already annoyed trying to order it online. A week later the book showed up from the Market Place and my card was charged. I called into support who gave me an email to contact and the email was undeliverable. I called back and verified they had the correct email and they said they will send me a shipping label. I never received the shipping label so I called back and was told that they could not send me one and that they would contact the seller for me and I’d be contacted in 3-4 business days. I called back on day 6 when I still had no one reach out and was told there’s nothing they can do but try to contact the seller and I would hear back in 3-14 business days. I’m still waiting to hear back, but even if I do hear back they only except returns within 30 days and by the time I ship it back if they even ever provide the info it will be out of the thirty day range"

2018-02-02

Joke service

"I ordered a gift card on 01/29/2018....let me emphasize GIFT CARD. It finally shipped on 01/30/2018. This was an item that was to be gifted and I have no stores in my area so I figured this would be a simple solution. Checking on the status today (02/02/2018), it's not even close to being here! I contacted customer support to be told that my arrival date was 02/17/2018. THREE WEEKS TO RECEIVE A GIFT CARD?! ARE YOU JOKING?! Not even bothering to offer any type of compensation or ideas to help the issue, I was asked if there was anything else the rep could help me with, SHE DIDN'T HELP ME TO BEGIN WITH. They must get A LOT of complaints like this because she cruised right through the conversation with responses like she has had them before. Absolutely ridiculous! I'm hoping my review saves someone the hassle of this joke of a company AND customer service. Take your business elsewhere folks!"

2018-01-30

HORRIBLE!

" Finally got talked into getting a membership, have had it less than 6 months and will NEVER be shopping at another Barnes and Noble EVER!
Absolutely horrible customer service, very rude people. Ordered books in store for a gift for a friend's birthday, books never showed up( I had been told they'd be there in 3 days). Later ordered textbooks for school, books didn't show up on time, even though I had paid for expedited shipping. Got the run around and excuses from every single person on the customer service line and finally wound up cancelling the order and my membership! ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!

2018-01-22

Beware when buying textbooks from Barnes and Noble

"I bought a textbook through Barnes and Noble. It was supposed to be "NEW", but instead I got a used banged-up book that I paid full price for. On top of that, the person that packed it must have been high on drugs, because they did a very lousy job packing the book. It had bubble wrap only on one side and the other was just lose in the box. "sun and moon bookstore" was the store that sold me the book through Barnes and Noble. I found out too late that they have had a terrible customer service history, but Barnes and Noble doesn't care and keeps them as one of their suppliers."

2018-01-22

Dont purchase a Book for shipping B&N may steal your money

"I purchased a book at Fullerton, Ca store and had it shipped to my home. Barnes and Noble distribution canceled the order a month later and processed a check to be sent to my home. 7 days after the check was processed-I still haven't gotten it.
B&N took my money via debit card, canceled the order without even a curiosity call, and then plan on returning my money via a check-not even a debit transaction.
Worse yet-the store manager didn't seem to care too much.
If i had not contacted them-I never would have found out.

Buyer beware!

2018-01-12

Don't Rent Textbooks from Here

"I ordered two textbook rentals on Sunday and paid for express shipping. I was told books would arrive by Thursday. I saw that the tracking info stated books would arrive by Saturday. I contacted customer service Tuesday and was told books should arrive Thursday. Friday night, I called customer service to find out where my books were. The customer rep said that she would refund my money. I said that I don't want a refund, I want my books. She said my account would be credited and if I get the books, just send them back. No help whatsoever. Basically I got the big "Screw You!!!" I have a paper due tomorrow, and no text book."

2018-01-11

Price changing in days after order

"I made an on-line purchase and within nine days the price dropped &10. (Fire and Fury, this month 1-5 order 1-9 price drop). I contacted customer service and was told no refund. I said cancel and they said already sent. Amazon is much better at customer service. "

2018-01-08

Wish I had read reviews before

"I ordered a textbook from the Barnes and Noble website. There was nothing in the description to indicate it was the instructor's edition. Upon receiving the instructors edition, I called their customer service department, and found out it was sold to me by a third part vendor, and I would have to pay return shipping fees, although the customer service rep would contact the vendor to see if they would send me a free shipping label. I was told within three days I would receive and email. Well, after another phone call and a LiveChat conversation, I have still not received any sort of email. I originally called B&N to return the book 11 days ago."

2018-01-01

Not compatible with iPad or iPhone

"Considering how many of their customers use iPads and iPhones, not just for their daily activities, but for use of Barnes and Noble products, it is really embarrassing that the website is not compatible with these devices. Customers cannot even claim their gifted products and sign in properly. "

2017-12-26

Penny Pinchers

"I ordered textbooks for my next semester of college in 2018. They took out the full payment and have continued to bill my account on top of the full payment. My mom called and the lady claimed that my full payment was a "security deposit" and they would just pull money from that. After four days they have taken out an additional $100 on top of my full payment. I will NOT be doing business with B&N again."

2017-12-19

Horrible on line experience

"I ordered a Christmas gift on line December 15. The website showed I was within the window for delivery by Christmas. I received order confirmation and a follow up to track my order. Today I checked to track my order and it shows delivery January 8. There was no indication from Barnes and Noble of a back order or delivery after the holidays.

When I called customer service to cancel my order I was told I cannot cancel the order but have to wait until the book is received then take it to UPS to ship it back. No other option. So I have to float that money until probably the end of January and make a trip to a UPS facility because they have horrible customer service and a horrible system.

In addition the woman I spoke with could hardly be understood. She was obviously off shore in some foreign country.

I will NEVER buy another thing from this company

Share Barnes and Noble's store rating

Barnes and Noble is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Barnes and Noble is not a merchant member
Barnes and Noble does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!