Stores > Barnes and Noble

Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.86/10 2.86/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
Voice your opinion! Review Barnes and Noble by clicking a star below.
2017-12-14

They Should Close !

"Purchased a book to be shipped to survivor of the TX church shooting. Order transferred to a seller in Waukegan,IL named Great Book Prices. Horrid customer service on both B & N email and/or phone call with someone in Parkistan. The actually seller Great Brook Prices did not ship book just gave a bad USPS tracking number that didn't bring up anything. Please public DO NOT DO BUSINESS with BARNES & NOBEL go to your local book store order and/or purchase the book and ship yourself. TERRIBLE company."

2017-12-03

No wonder their stock is at about 6 in a record market.

"I ordered a special edition of Dark Side of the Moon. I have 3 other different copies. After about a week my order showed up to my joy. Then I opened the package and found that they sent me a version I already had. I was disappointed to say the least. Being an audiophile I was anxious to hear this version.
I called them immediately and after a half hour the customer service person said that all was well. They would send me what I ordered and a shipping label to return the wrong one.
First they had UPS send me a label to my e-mail. My browser doesn't allow pop-ups and I keep it that way. The only way to print it ways to allow pop-ups. So I tried to get them to send a label I could print. Nope, you have to use the one we sent. Then.....
I received the replacement cd. It was the same darn one they sent me before. Now, I'm in possession of three of the same CDs. The one I've owne for 6 years and the two they've sent me.
I called back this morning and told them either want the right product or refund my money pronto so I might buy it somewhere else. Being retired and on a fixed income every penny is important to me. They told me to send back the two CDs and then they will refund my money. I objected and asked to speak with a manager. I was put on hold and I hung up after 45 minutes.
This is one of my top five miserable experiences ordering on line and I'll never go into one of their stores or even contemplate buying anything from them on-line. It seems lots agree with me as there are hundreds of reviews here and they have an overall rating of one star. This was my first and last purchase from them. It seems their product pullers can't read.

2017-12-03

Very slow delivery

"I received a B&N giftcard, and so I was obliged to use B&N to make a purchase. I bought three books on November 24. It's now December 3, and I still have not received the books. The original delivery date was November 29; that then changed to Dec. 2. It appears now, from tracking info, that I will not get the books until Dec. 4.

I guess I'm spoiled by Amazon.com, but I just don't see how B&N can compete when its delivery (by comparison) is glacially slow--especially since its prices are no better than Amazon. I even get book deliveries from third-party sellers (using parcel post) on Amazon more quickly.

2017-11-18

Huge disappointments

"Barnes and Noble has been a major disappointment. I preordered a signed edition of Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. The book arrived with no signature. Customer service said the best they could do is a $5 appeasement. I paid $30 for the book and Wal-Mart is selling the book for $20. Not much of an appeasement. #barnesandnoble #brandonsanderson #oathbringer"

2017-11-06

Friendly

"Good prices, friendly and huge selection. I'm definitely coming back the next time they have a sale but I'm going to dime on the first day they open, not the last, like I did this time. Even though the elections I wanted were depleted, I found some other great titles."

India
2017-09-18

Extremely responsive

"I have been a long time purchaser from B&N and the experience had been excellent, to put it mildly. In fact in their effort to keep customers happy sometimes they had acted too fast. Once when the shipment was delayed, and I asked to check, they went as far as to refund it (it was prepaid) and then to my shock the shipment did arrive after just a few days. Well the repayment had to be done, which they took care of (without bothering me), by cancelling the cancellation. That type of responsiveness I have seen only from a few sellers, in fact only two. I wish others learn from them."

2017-09-18

Mostly use for ebooks

"Mostly use for ebooks, and their selection is very good and comparably priced to places like Amazon. On the rare occasion I've ordered a book from their site it has always shipped in a reasonable amount of time with no problems."

2017-09-08

Do not rent a book from Barnes and Noble.

"HORRIBLE! I ordered a book from them on August 24th, and today is not September 8th and the book still has not shipped out. Barnes and Noble CLAIM that the warehouse did not have this item in stock however they offered no clear solution to the issue, nor would they agree to cancelling the order. B&N reported that they would ship the book to my home regardless and that I could immediately return the book, only then would they issue a refund. I am 3 weeks into graduate school and I am still without a book. Please steer clear of them and save yourself the headache. As a side note, none of the customer service agents are able to effectively communicate in English. "

2017-08-14

Never Again

"On 7/27/2017 I ordered from Barnes & Noble a Blade Runner 30th Anniversary 3-disc Blu-ray with an origami unicorn pictured on the case (I mention this because it's an easy way to identify what I ordered and what I received and it's pertinent). On 8/2 I received from them a Blade Runner 30th Anniversary 1-disc Blu-ray with a montage painting on the cover with Harrison Ford's portrait as the primary image. I contacted Barnes & Noble customer service to alert them of the issue and was told to return the item to them and "If you would like to order the correct item, you can place a new order at www.bn.com". This was unacceptable and I contacted them to let them know. I already ordered the correct item and if they didn't want to take the time to correct THEIR mistake, I would order the item elsewhere instead of wasting any more time with them and being further inconvenienced, in addition to needing to return the item because they shipped the wrong one. The next response agreed to ship me a replacement and to issue a return label for the original disc. I agreed with the offer and requested that if they were going to send a replacement to please be certain to send the 3-disc version (which is what I ordered and paid for) and I told them it was identifiable by the cover difference I mentioned above. On 8/5 B&N shipped a replacement which arrived on 8/9 and was again not the item I ordered. I contacted them yet again and let them know I received this time the 1-disc Final Cut version of the movie with the same cover art as the first disc they sent me, NOT the 3-disc version with the origami unicorn on the cover.

On 8/10 I received the following response: "We have reviewed your order and found that the item you ordered is the item you received with a UPC code of 0883929146697 at a cost of $12.30. The item you are requesting has a UPC code of 0883929255450 and sells for $13.99. You may keep the tem (sic) received or return it for a refund and order the correct item."

Why would I choose to keep the WRONG items they shipped me??? It turns out B&N changed the item listing after I contacted them following the second item being the wrong disc. I was monitoring the listing because I was suspicious of them and when the second disc arrived the listing still showed the 3-disc version with the unicorn on the cover. I was very conscious of which version I ordered and even printed a screenshot when I placed the order that shows the 3-disc version and the price of $12.30, plus I ALREADY OWN THE OTHER VERSION...why would I order it again? I submitted to them a picture of the screenshot to prove which item I paid for and expressed my dissatisfaction with the whole experience and their poor customer service, not to mention the fact that they would go so far as to not only refuse to honor my purchase, but to also change the website to correct a listing error (or for whatever other deceitful reason) and on top of it to refuse to honor my purchase AFTER agreeing it was their mistake and even sending a replacement (albeit an incorrect replacement). My time and the inconvenience of this whole situation is worth something, but they can't even be bothered to make the situation right. In fact, they refused to acknowledge my last contact to them and I now have two incorrect items to return and I still don't have what I paid for weeks ago when this all began.

Unbelievable.

Never again!

2017-08-02

Horrible Service and SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW HIPPING

"Over 3 weeks to get a book. I would have never ordered it if I knew it would be almost a month!
VERY POOR SERVICE. I STILL DO NOT HAVE THE BOOK!

2017-07-28

promotional code disaster

"Recently, I was made aware of a promotional code for beats headphones. Upon receiving my order confirmation I was made aware that my order was invalid due to me not also buying a mac computer. I find it extremely irresponsible for a company to give out a singular promotional code upon ordering a mac computer, if a company is offering a promotional code it is the responsibility of THE COMPANY, not the consumer to be given an understanding of what that promotional code is to be used for, or to offer a unique promotional code per Mac computer consumer, rather then foolishly offering a one size fits all promotional code that consumers may use. It's highly upsetting to me that a company valued at over a billion dollars could be so irresponsible to their consumers. As a result I will never shop at Barnes and Noble again, tell everyone I know not to buy from such a duplicitous company, and may take further action if needed."

2017-06-19

Ordering Online

"The stores are very nice, but do not order from their website. It's far more trouble than it's worth. In my experience if you receive something damaged and send it back, good job. They just got your book AND your money. Was lied to multiple times by their staff about a refund, saying they refunded me. 3-4 days later I go and check, nothing. (take note I used a gift card. this supposedly should process in 24 hours) And then the next person comes back and says there was never a refund issued. This little pattern has happened twice in a row. If Barnes And Noble sees this, if they fix the issue, I will update this review. Otherwise, my recommendation is that you don't do business with them. Their customer service is a joke and will lie to you just to get you off the phone or chat room. Oh by the way, I record any call I make for quality assurance purposes as well! How about that. If this wasn't a gift card I would have just disputed the charge with my credit card holder instead. Don't believe this review and prefer to throw your money in the trash? Then go right ahead.

UPDATE: I received a replacement book in the mail. Still does not change the fact that I was lied to multiple times by Barnes And Noble staff. Simple communication from both Barnes & Noble and the marketplace seller could have avoided all this.

2017-06-14

Zero stars is not an option

"I am an Amazon customer. I need a book for class faster than what Amazon could get it to me. I found the book on Barnes & Noble and paid extra for expedited service. I waited for days and called customer service to inquire about a refund on the expidited service. A supervisor explained me that it was from the marketplace seller, and she would need to reach out to them. I was very clear that I still needed the book, and she said that the book should still arrive in a couple of days at the latest. I waited the prescribed time and called back to find out that the seller completely cancelled the order and intercepted the book. I should have read the numerous complaints lodged against B&N and should have stuck with Amazon. I've never had any problems with their customer service even when the mistake was my fault (I double ordered a book once: full refund). BUYER BEWARE!"

2017-06-08

Looking forward to this kids book!

"My nephew and avid cookie eater would love it the book I just ordered, "The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?" B&N has so many purchase options and prices."

2017-06-08

Barnes and Nobles is absolutely HORRIBLE

"First order made in 2015 book was not received on date expected. Attempted to give them another chance and rented a book again in 2017 for school that stated had the mathlabs even paid more to get the mathlabs. Received book without mathlabs and when I called customer service apparently even though I paid extra for the mathlabs they are not "Guaranteed" and to add insult to injury when returning their falsely advertised product I had to pay a $5 dollar restock fee for something that was not even my fault. Gave 1 star because I could not leave it blank or I would have preferred to have given 0."

Share Barnes and Noble's store rating

Barnes and Noble is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Barnes and Noble is not a merchant member
Barnes and Noble does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!