Stores > Balsam Hill Christmas Tree Co.
  • Balsam Hill Chr

Product & services pricing Rating 5.37/10 5.37/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 6.36/10 6.36/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 7.40/10 7.40/10
    Customer service: Rating 5.72/10 5.72/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 6.09/10 6.09/10
Voice your opinion! Review Balsam Hill Christmas Tree Co. by clicking a star below.

Poor Customer Service

"I ordered a Balsam Hill Tree early in Nov so I would get the one I wanted. It was a good sale at the time too. Double bonus, I thought. I knew that I would not have time to decorate the tree until the second week in Dec. That was when I found that the connector in the top portion of the tree was busted and the lights in the top would not work. I called Balsam Hill's customer service and spoke with a person who didn't speak clearly or loudly enough. We did determine that the top was not fixable and she would send me the plastic part that was broken. At that time, I asked her how I would remove the broken one (it was still jammed tightly in trunk to the top portion of the tree. She said she would find out and put me on hold. Then she never returned and I waited for 30 minutes before I hung up. I then did a 'chat' and found out that my tree had a return/refund set up - first I had heard of that. There was no replacement tree to send to me. Then I asked about expedited shipping if I reordered a different tree. I was told that was available (it wasn't) and when the tree didn't get to me in the specified time, I could request a refund. Not only do I NOT HAVE A CHRISTMAS TREE TO DECORATE, THERE WAS NO 'CUSTOMER SERVICE' TO SPEAK OF AND THE COMPANY'S TREATMENT OR A POOR PRODUCT WAS BELOW PAR. I really was going to reorder another more expensive tree and pay for the expedited shipping BUT EXPEDITED SHIPPING WAS ALLOWED ON BIGGER TREES. Nice to know. My holiday is not totally ruined, but my experience that I was looking forward to purchasing a new Christmas tree from Balsam Hill was ruined. A REAL CUSTOMER SERVICE would have not left me on hold and would have assisted in getting me a tree to me ASAP. "

Frist tree

"I received my first tree was very excited put it together the top had lights busted very disappointed as spent hours getting it perfect, call customer service took a week or so but did get replaced, the only problem is I don’t feel it’s as beautiful as the frist one I got, but customer service was great and I thank you all for your help getting this problem taken care of!"

new home, new tree

"We love our BH fraser fir! It is so realistic that guest will even ask which tree farm we went to! We couldn't be more pleased with our purchase. "

SHAME ON YOU BALSAM HILL

"ORDER NUMBER.... H006459587
I cannot express LOUD enough my disappointment in my experience with Balsam Hill. I ordered a tree on November 27th that was delivered to me with lights that did not work. After doing the prescribed troubleshooting myself I called the company for help. I was instructed to repeat all of the troubleshooting with the Customer Service Rep (CSR) which again produced no results. It was determined that I needed a replacement receiver and that i would have it in 2-3 days. Seven days later the replacement received arrived and much to my dismay this one did not work either. I called the company again and after "troubleshooting" the CSR said that he was going to send me 2 receivers this time. I said if you are sending me two I am assuming you are having issues with your receivers. He said YES, I asked that the receivers be over-nighted since this was now Day 7 with a tree with NO lights. He said YES. Three days later i received an email from Balsam Hill notifying me that the receivers i had ordered were ON BACK ORDER. HMMMMM? I immediately called and spoke to another CSR who apologized and looked to send me a replacement tree however, the one i had ordered was out of stock. He asked if i would like to look to see if my "second favorite tree" was in stock? I said ARE YOUR CRAZY? He then asked if i would like to give it a few days to see if the receivers come back in stock. He felt sure they would but did suggest that i call in a day or two to inquire about the status. Hence today, 2 days later, when i called to inquire only to find out that the receivers are OUT OF STOCK FOR THE SEASON. No email was sent to me or any form of notification. Had I not made that phone call I would have been waiting and waiting for a receiver that would not have been delivered. I want to yell from the ROOF TOP that you company is AWFUL. I want to make sure that everyone knows of my horrendous experience as I sit here on DECEMBER 13th WITHOUT A CHRISTMAS TREE!!!!!! SHAME ON YOU BALSAM HILL.

2017-12-12

Think twice before you purchase from Balsam Hill!

"I should have read other reviews before we purchased. We ordered a pre-lit tree and our initial order contained two bottom halves of a tree. After my husband called to explain our predicament, they FINALLY agreed to send the top half of the tree. Fast forward several days: tree is up and pretty (though not substantially prettier than what I've seen offered for sale @ Costco-especially when you consider the price difference). However, I still have half of a Christmas tree in my entryway. I called the company to ask them to pick up the unused half of the tree. I was told they don't do that & that I should instead donate it (DONATE half of a Christmas tree?!? Absurd.) Alternatively, I was told to retain it "for parts". I don't have the space to store the box until the time I need it for parts. This could be years - or perhaps not, given some of the reviews I have read! These trees are overpriced, and the worst part is that the company openly admits this, if only by the fact that they don't care enough about half of a tree (approx. $400, based on the price of the entire tree!) to try to get it back! If they don't care about getting it back into their inventory, then send me the other half of the tree so that I can donate an ENTIRE tree and bring someone joy this holiday season. As it stands, every time I look at my overpriced Balsam Hill tree, I am reminded of this company's cavalier attitude towards waste and, most importantly, customer service!"

2017-12-12

Do NOT EVER buy a tree from this company.

"Do NOT EVER buy a tree from this company. We had a section. Lights go out the 1st year we had it and they agreed to replace the section. They NEVER did. The next year more lights were out. They still did not send the replacement parts. This year even more sections out. They no longer make the original purchased tree so they agreed to send a new tree that has 2 whole sections out. We are supposed to be receiving 2 replacement sections as of 11/28/17 but NOTHING has arrived. The replacement isn't close to the original tree's authentic appearance either so I guess we received a reject from the factory along with the tree that isn't selling. The worst company that I've ever done business with and the tree was very expensive!!! I'm certain we will not have a Christmas tree this year!!!"

2017-12-12

Best Christmas Tree We Ever Had!

"We ordered our tree in Oct. 2017 and it arrived as scheduled. The carton was taped as if it had been opened and were concerned that it was perhaps a "returned" tree to Balsam. We called Customer Service who assured us that they never resend "returned" trees out to fulfill customer orders and was encouraged to take the tree out to inspect the tree and lights to make sure everything was working properly; they were. We were VERY satisfied with Customer Service and their attention to our concerns.

For one person to "structure" or shape the tree did take quite a bit of time but I am sure it won't take that long the next time we use it. We ordered the 6.5 ft Balsam Fir with LED multi-colored lights. I hope you all enjoy your trees as much as we will ours!

This tree is magnificent, beautiful and better than we even hoped it to be! There are plenty of lights for the size of the tree and nicely spaced. We always knew we would buy a Balsam Hill tree due to their reputation, quality and warranty; I know we will not be disappointed in the years to come.

2017-12-11

Looks great, easy to assemble - but lights should have been tested

"I liked the look of the first BH tree I saw a few years ago but the price was too much. This year I used the discount code and got a great deal. The tree arrived five days later. Went up easy, no mess. You do have to spend some time fluffing out the branches to make it truly real. I had two issues with my tree. First the battery on the remote even though it had been plastic tab protected in shipment, was Dead-On-Arrival. Once got that working I found that the top section of white lights were dead even though they had power going to and from them. I metered every bulb and they are all good, just won't light. I called customer service and they opened a case number for both the dead battery / remote and the white strand of lights. Easy and quick to get support and hopefully they will arrive before Christmas Eve. Still very disappointing that their Quality Assurance department did not test both the battery and the lights in each section and mark them as being inspected. For the money they should IMHO.

But the bottom line is I have a great looking tree, and I like multi lights anyways. Would be nice if the tree smelled like a fresh cut, but I guess that is what Glade and Airwick make the seasonal scents for.

TERRIBLE COMPANY!

"Dealing with this company trying to get a defective section on a $2,300 tree fixed or replaced has been the absolute worst consumer experience I've EVER had!
I've been lied to, told a replacement tree, then replacement section would be delivered to my home within days multiple times, and now, weeks and weeks later, still nothing! The latest is they want me to pay $500 to the shipping company to have the replacement delivered, because I live on a rural property and they say they can't drive into my driveway!! Despite the fact the first tree was delivered to my front porch by the original shipping company at no additional cost.
I've had a dozen calls with Balsam Hill, most of which they conveniently have no record of ..... and now they’ve said maybe they can send me a replacement section in the fall of next year! AND their warranty goes to great lengths to say they change their products often and they aren’t responsible for (won’t warranty) products changed or no longer carried. They go on to say that if you need replacement/repair parts, you are responsible for all of the production costs.....
The most inept, and appears to be unethical company I've done business with. Predicated on my experience, I would NEVER recommend anyone buy anything from Balsam Hill.
Update: Because I have a defective tree that’s not functioning properly and Balsam Hill is refusing to deliver a replacement unless I pay an outrageous fee of several hundred dollars, I gave them advanced warning that I planned to, and now have disputed their invoice with my credit card company. I have just now received a voicemail from them saying because I have turned this matter over to my credit card company, they will not provide a replacement tree and they will not provide a refund.
Is this a company you want to do business with...?

2017-12-11

Don't purchase from them!!!!!

"I have contacted over and over to obtain new bulbs for my tree. Twice they have sent me the incorrect bulbs and charged me for both sets. I have spoken with multiple customer service reps and been guaranteed I am getting the right bulbs. The tree is designed with nice heavy duty bulbs with thick wires. They send you replacement bulbs that will fit in the existing sockets but they are so cheaply made they won't even light up. They are not the same bulbs as the tree was made with. I have been told twice I would receive contact from senior management which they have failed to do. I've been charged twice for bulbs that won't even turn on and no one will help me. I give them exactly the tree that I have and still no one knows what bulbs to send. So frustrated that my tree is incomplete because I can't get good service. Will be turning them over to the better business bureau."

Beautiful, life-like tree

"I decided to invest in a new artificial tree this year and wanted one that looked more real than ones you can buy in the store. We went with our own lights and just ordered a plain tree of the mid-quality range. It is a very full and beautifully shaped tree and is perfect for our needs. It definitely looks life-like, and we have received many compliments on it. The shipping was timely, and the tree arrived well packaged. I would definitely recommend Balsam Hill to anyone looking for a new tree! My only recommendation is that it would be kind of fun if they would include a token ornament - it doesn't have to be fancy - but I think it would be a wonderful way to "advertise" as well as thank the customer for ordering from them. "

Terrible lights

"I purchased 2 wreaths for my double door. One arrived with no problems. The second wreath had issues from the start with the battery operated light strand. I managed to get it to work for 4 days but is completely dead now. I have tried multiple batteries but no luck. After calling customer service, the wreath is out of stock and the battery pack is also out of stock. The representative refunded my purchase price for the wreath but suggested that I go find another battery pack. So, I am stuck with one wreath for my front doors. Will not buy from this company again. "

Love our beautiful tree!

"My husband and I volunteered to put up the Balsam Hill tree at our church and loved it so much we ordered one for ourselves. We love our 7 1/2 ft it even more than the 10ft at church and have many compliments on it. I hope the lights last for years on it because I'm anticipating the tree will be beautiful for years to come. "

2017-12-10

NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN!!

"Bought what I considered an expensive wreath. You would think that it would last AT LEAST 2 seasons but by the middle of the 2nd season it had died. My husband and I thought it was just the batteries so when the season ended, we took out what we thought were dead batteries and boxed up the wreath (we were gone most of Dec anyway). This year I took it out and put new batteries in it but it is dead. The battery box is corroded even though we had it stored in a dry indoor area. The Customer Service girl was rude, condescending and hung up on me. I was trying to tell her that I had all the original paperwork and there was NO WARRANTY. She told me to go look at the website and it was there. Talk about poor customer service! "

2017-12-10

I wish I could give negative stars...

"I looked everywhere locally for a realistic tree, but couldn’t find one so I ordered from Balsam Hill. It looks like any other artificial tree. The top section is great, but it gets thinner the wider it is and only the tips are realistic. The inside of the tree is that terrible, stringy fabric that falls out everywhere when you fluff it. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid. Now I’ve paid hundreds for a tree I could have bought much cheaper elsewhere. This is completely false advertising on Balsam Hill’s part. I don’t understand how they can claim what I got is “most realistic.” Will never trust Balsam Hill again and couldn’t be more disappointed. Also, the gloves they enclose only cover your hands, not your wrists and I broke out in hives fluffing the tree which really makes me wonder what it was sprayed with. Will never order from BH again. "

Share Balsam Hill Christmas Tree Co.'s store rating

Balsam Hill Christmas Tree Co. is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Balsam Hill Christmas Tree Co. is not a merchant member
Balsam Hill Christmas Tree Co. does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!