• Xotic PC Xotic PC Elite Status

Return/Replacement policy: Rating 9.10/10 9.10/10

What is this?

Infopro.Inc's Avatar

Aurora, IL

"We love our new ASUS N550JV-DB71 with the 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 840), sold by Xotic PC. It boots so quickly and does all of the work for which it was intended so quickly and well. Our purchasing experience with XOTIC PC was also terrific. This is the third computer we have purchased from them, and we intend to keep coming back for high-performance systems, which can be configured and tested with the options we need by a knowledgeable company.

We have upgraded it with Windows 8.1 PRO, and have found everything about it to EXCELLENT!

"Purchased laptop from Xotic PC on 10/9/13. Received my laptop in a great timeframe and exactly how I ordered it. Great quality on the laptop."

"Unlike many buyers, I was not in the market for a "gaming" laptop. Instead, I was looking for a laptop with sufficient resources to run multi-guest virtual environments. XOTIC PC had exactly what I required. Portable and with more power than most desktop PCs, I am now able to take virtualization on the road and demonstrate "proof of concept" Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Lync environments to my clients. XOTIC PC laptops are a must have for anyone with serious virtualization and portability requirements. I continually recommend XOTIC PC to all of my friends and colleagues. Keep up the good work XOTIC PC!"

"I really appreciated that every time I called with a question to spec out the computer, I got right through to a knowledgable human. As a woman customer with 35 years in the the computing business, I also appreciated that they were not patronizing in any way, but gave serious detailed answers to my serious, detailed questions. Great support!"

"I liked the secure packaging when I received it and they have excellent customer service and quick follow-up. I cannot recommend Xotic PC enough!"

"The laptop I bought works great and the service was very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. "

"I purchased my laptop last year and was absolutely amazing. Never overheats and can play every game on the current market with ease. Sometimes putting together many different components can cause hardware conflicts but XOTIC PC does compatibility tests to make sure your pc is running at top performance before it us shipped.

I would recommend XOTIC PC and you don't need to think twice about ordering from them. Great customer service that is willing to help you with any of your problems.

"Had an awesome experience with XoticPC. Had an issue with a dead pixel which was quickly resolved by initiating an RMA and my laptop was sent, repaired, and delivered within 2 weeks which I thought was a quick turnaround since I'm from Canada. Customer service was excellent."

"I have bought two Laptops from Xotic PC now and have fallen in love with both of them. My favorite thing about it has to be the fact that I already know I am going to get a good price, and I really appreciate how the staff picks one person to be your "guide" through the whole set up. It is very comforting to know I always have someone I can ask for by name if I have any questions. They continually surprise me in their zeal for what they do."

netarchy's Avatar

San Antonio, TX

"I ordered a custom built Sager laptop from Xotic PC back in Sept, 2013, as my previous laptop was getting a bit long in tooth after 3 years of service.

As I'd not previously ever ordered a customized laptop before, I did a lot of comparisons across various vendors before deciding to take the plunge and ordering a custom from Xotic PC.

As for the laptop, it is fantastic! The build quality is excellent, the service from Xotic PC was excellent (admittedly we did have a minor delay due to needing to wait on a 120hz screen part but that's not a big deal).

I've already spoken about the service and the laptop on my TwitchTV channel several times.

From start to finish, the whole process was very smooth, any time there was any issue from billing to delivery I was contacted very quickly by the Xotic staff. Any time I had questions they were answered just as quickly.

I really can not think of a single complaint through the whole experience, and I can definitely say I would give you guys my patronage again the next time I need a laptop built to order.

"My Sager laptop from Xotic is the best computer I've ever had! I loved the absolute customization Xotic PC allows, as well as the fact that my particular laptop is user upgradeable. Great experience with customer service, great communication, awesome experience. I will recommend Xotic PC to anyone who asks, and already have recommended a few people!"

"Josh was great to work with from Xotic PC. We emailed back and forth on what I wanted and Josh made suggestions on what would work best for my needs, editing HD video and photographs. Josh explained that the highest item wasn't always the best fit. I think we put together an awesome machine within my price range. After ordering my computer, I had to email to change and item and to get rush delivery. Xotic PC was able to accommodate my needs. Even after purchase, they make sure that I'm happy with my purchase. Thank you guys. I look forward to purchasing my next "pressure free" computer from you."

"In short, when I need another laptop, I WILL be ordering from Xotic PC. The laptop I ordered from Xotic had special requirements, the most important being dual 780m's. This purchase was not for gaming, but for photo real CG rendering and 3D CAD. I had a ton of questions about configurations and performance before ordering. Every question was thoroughly answered and explained. I must have called 10 times over the coarse of a week. I was able to speak with the same person every time as well, which was really nice. Before ordering, Xotic made me feel very confident in what I was getting and that a resolution would be no problem if there were any issues with the system once it was received. My system has exceeded my expectations, and the Xotic service was so good I will not hesitate to order from them again. I've already recommended Xotic to several business colleagues."

"I'm not a gamer but was looking for a high end, not to heavy/big(15.6" screen), good quality laptop that was easily configurable. After doing a half day research Xotic PC met my criteria. I bought a NP8255-S then added 2 60GB Msata cards in raid 0 format and a Corsair 240GB SSD for a second hard drive. Now being about 2 months after I bought it I've had no problems with it."

"First of all, the reason I chose XoticPC is because I needed a laptop with a unique combination of features: as a computational scientist, I needed the fastest mobile CPU available, the fastest mobile GPU available, a keyboard as close to normal PC keyboard (too many modern laptops suffer from reduced-size arrow keys), and the smallest screen I could get – in other words, I needed as many FLOPS as I can get in something I can travel with so that I can perform my computations overseas, without carrying a brick. Surely a top-of-the line gaming laptop would do the job in terms of performance, but they all come with 17”+ screens, and I wanted no more than 15” (heck, I would even take 11” if I could). I could not find anything like that anywhere, except for XoticPC, and the price was right.

Now, on the computer itself. It was delivered quickly, packaging was fine. Yes, it is not the lightest laptop in the world, but at least I know that whatever weight I carry is CPU and GPU, not the extra screen size that I don’t need.

In general it runs fine, even under maximum computational load. I did have two instances of unprovoked reboot, both when machine was idling, so I can rule out overheating as a reason. Both times it seems like the reboot occurred on hardware level, because operating system was left no time to perform any crash dumps – as if the machine was just unplugged from all sources of power (including battery) and then plugged in again.

Keyboard has issue with Esc button – it needs to be pressed straight down in order to work, if you press it with your finger pointing slightly sideways, the key twists and jams, instead of sinking down the channel.

A small plastic cover that in the far left corner of the laptop (under the left LCD hinge) fell off – the plastic latches are not holding it. I secured it with a paper glue, that was enough, so no problems.

And one of the rubber legs fell off too, again, easily fixable with the glue.

The right side of the keyboard layout (arrow keys and numerics) is a bit frustrating because it is not separated by the gap from the rest of the keyboard, so it is difficult to hit arrow keys without looking (I am a die-hard keyboard guy, so fast typing and flawless keyboard is a big deal for me). I also wish the Home and End keys were arranged like in standard PC keyboard, not combined with numpad. I would even sacrifice the whole numpad for that.

Wi-Fi module takes more time to connect to some of the wireless networks than my other laptops, but not unacceptably more time.

The plastic case makes plasticky squeaky sounds in the area of palmrests, when palms are resting on them while typing, but nothing horrible.

The battery lasts for less and less over the course of these 3 months, the rate of degradation is a bit alarming to me, as it is happening faster than with any other laptop I had. Surely I understand that after a year or two the battery is not as good as new, but not after 3 months.

So, overall, I love the top horsepower in the smallest possible form factor, I simply could not get a similar computer anywhere else. Mechanical quality of the computer is not top of the line, but acceptable – I can deal with all the issues I have listed, except maybe for the keyboard, I just wish it was better. I have made positive recommendations (with caveats as above) to few of my colleagues who were interested in similar computers.

Share Xotic PC's store rating

Xotic PC is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Xotic PC is a merchant member
Xotic PC participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. This merchant is also Elite. See all 1,847 merchant members.