Stores > Xotic PC

Chance of future purchase: Rating 8.16/10 8.16/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 8.19/10 8.19/10
    Customer service: Rating 8.41/10 8.41/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 6.79/10 6.79/10

Unwanted customization+partial refund+poor customer service=very bad experience; refund offered in exchange for deleting, modifying review

"I ordered an MSI laptop from XOTIC PC with a single customization, a solid-state drive. What I received was a laptop customized with a conspicuous 3 1/2-inch wide, multipart XOTIC PC logo. It looked awful and ruined the appearance of the otherwise clean case I was expecting. (The company website gave no warning it would modify the case.) When I complained, I was told to remove the logo myself--with a hairdryer and a sharp piece of plastic. I imagined ruining the case, or some sensitive component, and refused, then went back and forth with the company for several days, repeatedly requesting return instructions, until after 5 days I was told I was outside the return window. I had to do the math for them before they finally agreed to issue a return authorization. I eventually received partial reimbursement, but no refund for the return shipping and insurance.

I wrote to company CEO, Joshua Triplett, asking that the remainder of the purchase price, as well as the return shipping, be refunded. No response, and Mr. Triplett later claimed the company had no record of having received my letter, though I had proof of receipt signed by a company representative. Next stop was the Better Business Bureau, with whom I filed a complaint. Unfortunately, the organization served only as a middle-man, allowing me to submit further requests for a refund which the the company continued to refuse. Instead, among other things, the company made repeated offers to sell me another product and said they would certainly have taken the laptop back and removed the logo for me. (No such offer was made at the time.)

End result: I paid more than $50 for the privilege of ordering and then returning an XOTIC PC laptop. Thinking back, there were red flags along the way that should have made me reconsider my order. A few of them: The site offered a discount for cash payment, so I decided to pay by check. After placing my order, I received emails strongly recommending I use wire transfer instead (the fees for which would cancel the benefit of the cash discount), suggesting I reconsider and pay by credit card, and threatening to cancel my order if payment was not received in a timely manner. Several days after the company received my check, it cleared my bank, but the company held the funds for about a month before starting work on my laptop, saying their bank had advised them that the necessary clearing time was 21 business days. When I pointed out that the check had already cleared, they said I would have to email them a copy of the canceled check as proof. I didn't like the idea of sending account information through unencrypted email, so I declined. All told, I waited about two months from the time I placed my order until I received the laptop.

You may have better luck with XOTIC PC than I did, but before placing your order, you might want to read some of the negative reviews at ResellerRatings.com--and elsewhere--and the complaints filed against the company through the Better Business Bureau, both resolved and unresolved. I wish I had done so before placing my order. Links are below:

Update (09/18/16)
Months of back-and-forth with XOTIC PC, both directly and indirectly (through the Better Business Bureau), produced no result. However, since posting this review last week, I've received multiple emails from the company with over-the-top apologies, expressions of concern for my welfare, assurances that my feedback has improved the company, offers of help, etc. Still no refund, though.

More evidence that you might want to read the negative reviews before placing your order to be sure none of the issues others have had with the company are likely to be an issue for you.

Update (10/01/16)
The company finally emailed me to propose a "complete resolution". Their offer: "I would like to see if you can remove the review you have listed and in return I will ensure the $50 non refundable fee is taking care of." When I refused: "I am not asking you to remove the review just to update it that we have resolved the issue and I am working with you to ensure everything is taken care of."

I did not accept the company's offer. The review is unchanged, except for this update and a slightly modified title. My advice is still to read the complaints filed against the company with the Better Business Bureau and to pay special attention to negative reviews both on this site and elsewhere. Given my experience, if the company does indeed bargain with reviewers about the content they post, you may not be able to trust some of the positive reviews.

This review was modified by FLast on October 01 2016 06:56:17 PM
Rep reply posted Sep-18-2016

A rep from Xotic PC, xoticpc, has responded

“We are sorry to hear of the concern of our XOTIC PC logo on your machine which led to your return. If you can please reply to Matthew our Customer Loyalty Manager he has been trying to reach you to help with your concern. ”

Good computer, (was) poor service (EDITS) (UPDATE)

"I received my computer and was great, works well, but day one started to have minor issues. After receiving computer I opened the box to find that one of the "gifts" were not there and so had to get them to send a code for that. Then about 2 months later the CPU fan died. I had prompt response from support to get it fixed/replaced. About 30 days later and many pictures sent finally got them to send a fan, but the one that came in the mail was not the correct one. So I had let the support know with pictures. After another 5 days or so was told that they will send me the correct fan. Now 56 days later still no fan and still a broken computer. This is a piss poor way to treat your customers.

UPDATE: Was just contacted by Service. Hopefully this can be fixed and once it is I will change the rating. It is just unfortunate that I have to write a bad review to get anywhere with a company.

Update 2: Just got called back should be getting fan either tomorrow or by Monday, once I do my rating shall change (changing from 1 to 3 star for this update).

Update 3: Received... The wrong fan again. Was originally mad, but looked at tracking number they gave me and noticed that this must've been the other order processed. So waiting till I receive that fan to change review from 3 stars.

Update 4: Received the correct fan... finally. Leaving at 4 stars for 2 reasons, 1st which is only half the fault of Xotic, is that I received the incorrect fan in the first place. They are a re-seller and should be able to convey the correct message to the supplier for things like this. Second, which is huge in my book, I had to write a bad review to have any service done at all. I really had high hopes for this company (being that my brother has had a computer through them for 7 years and the service at that time was amazing) but was very disappointed in the service that I had received. A total of 60 days that my computer was broken and only now have it fixed. My hope is that in the future this is remedied and that no one else has to go through the fiasco that I had to go through. I am a forgiving person so they are lucky that I was agreeable to change the review from the 1 star rating before.

During this process these companies had made me wish that I had gone with a Dell Alienware because I have never had this kind of issue with Dell service. Maybe someday I will be able to forget this error but for now I will not shop with SAGER or Xotic in the near future.

Update 5: So Matthew N. from the company is really good with follow up, making sure everything is ok. And Tanner M. got everything fixed with this error. I really like the fact that they had followed up with me.

This review was modified by RobertZerr on September 19 2016 03:33:18 PM

Timely arrival

"I have just received my new gaming laptop, still installing the relevant programs that I need. Will update more in due time."

"XoticPC were great with me. They helped me pick out my amazing laptop and were there every step of the way with me whenever I had concerns or doubts. I called them frequently and chatted online with customer service to make sure everything was going smoothly. I cannot express how patient and helpful they are. I also have other friends who ordered their laptops through them. They deliver everything they promise and are always on time. The laptops are always in great condition when they arrive, so no ugly surprises. Three people who truly helped me and reassured me along the way were all from customer service: Jake, Barry, and Matthew (the manager). Everyone was so kind and helpful. I could not have asked for better service!! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND XOTIC PC to ANYONE who is searching for the best out there :) "

" Great customer service, plus they gave me a free upgrade, from GTX 970 to the new GTX 1060. That was a nice surprise. My new Sager NP-8172 laptop works as advertised, and included all the correct specs.

I will recommend Xotic PC in the future...keep up the great work!

Awesome Laptop and awesome service

"Purchased two (2) MSI WS60 6QI-001 laptops for my company. I needed a workstation laptop that could handle the workload of CAD/Revit for my architectural practice. This was the firs time I purchased from a dealer other than Dell/HP..so I was a bit concerned. The laptops came engraved with our company logo and were just what we needed. Several months later one the keyboards went bad and Xotic PC with the assistance of MSI repaired and delivered the Laptop back at no cost. Very happy and appreciate great service. "

This review was modified by Ruffin04 on August 28 2016 02:58:18 PM

Highly recommended!

"As a person who gets attached to and takes good care of their laptop-PC, I use mine for at least 5 years so top notch specs are important to me. Xotic PC were recommended by a friend and they surpassed my expectations. In a clear and simple process, from Order date to Shipping, with requested modifications, I received my MSI GT72S Dominator G-037 in two weeks. The team at Xotic PC takes their promise seriously and I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for value, customization and great customer service. Thank you!"

My laptop is a Beast, and so was my sales rep.

"I can't say enough great things about this company! They worked with me on every dumb question I had to get me the laptop I wanted and needed, which is a damn BEAST. (my unboxing is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4rVJ4-g5xE) I've had my laptop for almost a year now and it's still running like a champ. No problems, no issues, and I couldn't be happier. I know without a doubt that when it comes time to upgrade (at least 3 years from now according to my wife) I'll be emailing Mathew again with my list of specifications and know that I can trust these guys to put me in the right machine. "

Poor quality service all round!

"The last 2 gaming laptops I ordered came in very poor condition, especially the first one. When I got it I had to snap a good portion of it into place, looked like someone was in a mega rush and didn't care at all. Then when I turned it on, it didn't work... apparently the graphics card was bad. So they obviously didn't test it before sending it out and that was confirmed by the manager that was helping me out with the issue. That was a $2770.00 laptop. Now you would think that this company would want to make up for its poor service and at least pay for the shipping right? Nope they absolutely refused! Even the sales manager (Who left the company) was in disbelief, he could only do so much without being over ruled. Once I sent it back it took over a month to get it back. I was assured and reassured by the manager of the tech side that builds the computers that I would be notified every step of the way and of any important changes. This guy did nothing that he said he would do, in fact I had to email and call countless times just to get the most simplest of information. They had to reorder the graphics card that would take about 2 more weeks, they never mentioned a word to me. I ended up selling the junk once I got it back just to see more issues.... The second and last gaming laptop was a little better but something in side keeps sliding all over..... so thats not good and just shows yet again what kind of place this is. I recently contacted the sales team to inquire about some of the latest products and some particular laptops that I liked. I had one that seemed really cool that asked what all I was looking for and so on, he seemed very interested in helping me out. So I took the time to say what was important and some things that I'd really like. His response was one sentence that didn't respond to anything I said! Then I contacted them again about one specific laptop, the response was "Sorry I dont know if or when we will have that in." How about trying, " Im sorry we dont seem to have that in, but here are some other options I think you might be interested in." Working in sales for this company must be an all time drag. When I first came to this company, I couldn't say enough good things about them. I was absolutely blown away with how professional and honest they were... But at some point they really let everything drop to the pits..... and thats really sad because this really was at one time an amazing company to deal with...."

This review was modified by DarthXrage on August 22 2016 10:19:01 PM
Rep reply posted Sep-11-2016

A rep from Xotic PC, xoticpc, has responded

“We are very sorry to hear of your technical issues. As any customer all laptops are tested before being shipped. It is not in any company's interests to send defective equipment as you have suggested. We stand behind what we sell if you can please reply to our emails we have been sending we would be happy to do what we can to help with your technical issues. Matthew N our Customer Loyalty Manager has sent several emails to you that haven't been responded to. If you can please contact him via email or phone we will you with your issues bottomline. ”

Back for seconds

"I ordered a Gigabyte P34G v2 laptop a few years ago, and the experience was painless as a $1500 purchase could be. I was able to configure the laptop to my liking, making it easy for me to set up dual-boot. They were communicative throughout the entire process. When the credit card company's fraud detection went off, they were very responsive to make the purchase work.

As for the laptop itself, I was quite pleased. It was an excellent value, and worked well for software development (separate hardware trackpad buttons FTW!) and some gaming on the side. As a smaller laptop, it would get hot/loud and it doesn't have the best battery life, but it is a reasonable trade for the portability. After a while, the monitor hinges have developed some cosmetic cracks.

I'm ready for a new laptop, and I'm likely going to get another Gigabyte (Aero or Aorus) laptop through Xotic again.

"I bought the GT72S G-219 and it works perfectly!
It was a little difficult to install Windows 7, but after updating the bios everything went smoothly!
Should've gotten the free backpack though.

The best First Laptop experience Possible

"Alright, I'll admit I was disappointed and worried at first. My first order was for an XFORCE laptop, from MSI, but it was discontinued. SO I WAS OBLITERATED RIGHT IN THE HEART, my desktop died, I need a laptop for school in a few days, everything was going downhill, all I could think was it's over.... I should NEVER buy a laptop online.

I was WRONG, I called customer service they were amazing, I learned about the PURCHASE ORDER option!! Take your old order, put all that money as a credit to a new laptop order since yours is discontinued. AMAZING, BRILLIANT!!! I ordered a new laptop, a Sager Clevo with a GTX 980M, but it was on backorder.... TODAY I get an e-mail saying "The 980M models were discontinued" and my heart sank, but I read further "so Sager is going to upgrade your 980M to a GTX 1070 at no additional cost" OMG WTF BBQ!!?!?!?!?!??! I called customer service at XOTIC to confirm I didn't have to request the change and that it was already implemented. It was, and he (Travis B, amazing guy seriously) also checked on my old order's concerns just to make sure nothing was out of the ordinary, I didn't want to continue on it or anything etc completely customer driven.

So now, my first time ordering a build online with a site recommended to me by my best friend Matt, and I get two discontinuations and a free upgrade.

I think it's just because of the release of the new GPUs but I lucked out amazingly, and with the smoothness of their service (aside from MSI's lack of dealing with discontinuations with grace), I must say under normal circumstances I wouldn't even have had these issues and I would have gotten my desired laptop immediately, but thanks to luck, service and dedication I got an EPIC laptop at a HUGE discount and a FREE upgrade.

He didn't even ask me to write this review (only saying because there's an option to check if the company asked for the review), no I asked HIM how do I review you guys the best way possible because you're amazing and he was polite and humble and said that you can review us anywhere, but ResellerRatings and GOOGLE reviews are the best looked upon.

Travis, my man, I also give you a personal review of 5/5 just for the great news and the caring attitude and attention to detail.

MSI GT80 Titan order

"The total I spent on this laptop is around $5340. It is a super expansive laptop, but I say it is worth every single penny. I waited 3 months for the laptop to arrive but that is completely worth it. I would rather have a laptop that last me a LONG time than have a laptop that fails on me in a couple year or so. I also asked for a custom graphic wrap, and man, their art department really outdid themselves with the image, now I have a **** looking beast laptop.

some suggestions to make the order to process faster for future reference:
1. Have more people on credit card verification. I wasted a couple week on this step because I had trouble contacting them. They always call me at the least expected time and nobody ever picked up the phone when I called back. I had to leave a voice mail and set a time and wait for them to call and finally got myself verified. I think more people in the verification department will improve this step, this way, customers will always have someone to verify their order with.

2. XoticPC have their own line of hardware. I waited at least a month in the first phase because some parts for my laptop got delayed. If XoticPC makes their own hardware (SSD, RAM etc), customers have the choice to choose between other manufacturers and XoticPC for all the hardwares for their orders. This will definitely boost the speed of the order.

That's it for my review, written on MSI Titan! :)

"From the time I ordered my laptop from Xotic PC, I have been calling to see how things were going with my order. Each and every time I got a friendly voice and a precise answer from the support line. Yesterday I received my computer and any questions I have asked about setting it up have been easily answered by their knowledgeable customer support staff (Shout out to Travis for helping me with my Raid 0 setup). I am very happy with my purchase and will definitely be coming back for more computers in the future. "

Awesome place, best service, cheapest price

"The most thing about XoticPC is how they treat the customers. I never had an issue communicating my concerns or problems to them and always got a swift reply for every problem. They take care of their customer.
The laptop price is the cheapest possible, with occasional benefits ( got ton of extra stuff with my laptop - bag, headphone,..etc ).
Overall, its the best place to buy gaming laptops online.

Share Xotic PC's store rating

Xotic PC is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Xotic PC is a merchant member
Xotic PC participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. This merchant is also Elite. See all 2,633 merchant members.