Stores > Thrift Books

Chance of future purchase: Rating 4.41/10 4.41/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 4.12/10 4.12/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.61/10 3.61/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 4.58/10 4.58/10
Voice your opinion! Review Thrift Books by clicking a star below.
2017-01-16

Awful Shipping!

"My book order "shipped" 6 days ago and hasn't even arrived at the postal service yet. Thrift books uses a company called OSM to get it to the postal service. The book left Nevada today and was sent to Illinois, totally bypassing it's destination in Texas. Moronic shipping! Now it will have to come back the direction it left to get delivered. How Thrift books stays in business, how OSM shipping stays in business if beyond me! I will NEVER order from them again!"

2017-01-12

ghost books spooking me on the daily

"i live in canada, so i am not allowed free shipping. yet, i still ordered from this web site - without properly looking into it. reddit was way more useless than usual. anyway, it's been well over the absolute maximum time and guess what? no books! i will never take a chance on these people again. great for anyone who already has too many books and too much money. "

2016-12-17

High shipping charges, missing books.

"I ordered three small paperback books and was charged almost ten dollars for shipping. Got an email saying my package was on its way--no mention of any missing books. My package arrived with only one book and no explanation of where the other two were. No phone number for customer service. I'm extremely suspicious that this is a regular practice--"sell" customers several low priced books, charge abnormally high prices for shipping and then leave out a couple of the books. Even if a few customers call for refunds, not every customer will take the time to do so. If nothing changes, I will have paid almost twenty bucks for one tiny paperback children's book that was originally produced by PJ Library, a Jewish organization that gives their books away for free. Steer clear of this scam company. I'm filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau."

2016-12-12

Wtf

"This company has been in business for so many years, but they have no customer service number. That's a big red flag just flying in the air. I wish I had done more research, but another site had so many glowing reviews. "

2016-11-11

Exactly what I wanted

"This was my first time using thriftbooks. I ordered eight books, novels, all for around $20. Standard shipping takes 4-14 business days. Seven of the books arrived within 4 business days. The eighth arrived a day later. Having ordered mostly paperbacks, and all in "acceptable" condition, the books were in surprisingly good confldition. While these are definitely used books and showing a bit of wear and tear, I'd expected to have an order of just "readable" books. A few even looked almost new, though I wouldn't expect that to be the typical. I'd absolutely order from thriftbooks again."

2016-10-26

Trash

"I ordered the Ashely Book of Knots. It's a very large, thick book.

They shipped it in a bag. This exposed the pages to significant bumping and crushing during shipment, meaning that literally every single page has been damaged in shipping.

I'm manually straightening and flattening each and every page.

I will never order anything from these shysters again. If you don't respect your own product, you have a real ethical problem being in that industry.

2016-10-17

What more can I ask?!!

"While Thriftbooks may not have every title, the list is extensive, the prices perfect, the condition as promised, the shipping speedy, the rewards program seductive and the web site friendly. Meets my needs to a tee. "

2016-09-15

FRAUDULENT COMPANY

"Just wanted to let everyone here know that ThriftBooks.com has illegally attained my bank card #, and has fraudulently charged me. The matter will be resolved with and I have already contacted Chase, as I obviously don't trust these thieves to refund me, and neither should any of you.

The scary thing is, the same charge was fraudulently taken out of my account 2 months ago from a whole other company called CampusBooks.com, forcing me to acquire a new bank card. Well, two months later, ANOTHER book 'company',...this one, Thriftbooks, has now also fraudulently charged me on my new card, for the SAME amount as mentioned.

2016-09-12

Customer Service Debacle

"I placed an order on 7/29 for 3 books. One arrived on 8/5 via DHS shipping. When the other 2 didn't show, I started corresponding with Thrift Books (referred to as TB throughout), OSM Shipping, and USPS to try to either get a refund or have new books expedited to us. The calls to OSM and USPS took over an HOUR of my time. My daughter needed to have one of these read in its entirety by school's start on 8/23.
The 2 books shipped from Arizona to OSM shipping in Nevada on 8/1, then shipped from OSM on 8/2, reaching Illinois on the 4th. SIX DAYS LATER it went to FL, when its final destination was to be Arkansas! Tried to call TB on 8/11, but no phone number provided on any website or subsequent communication, so I e-mailed Vaurissa at TB. She told me to wait until 8/19! Unacceptable. On 8/12 I attempted to reply to Vaurissa, and cc Mike Ward, TB's president, asking for a refund or new books to be expedited to my daughter. None of Ward's online contact information was correct, so I was unable to reach him, and Vaurissa at TB never replied. On 8/16, the box was STILL in Florida. I contacted TB on 8/18, again asking for a refund because the books never arrived. Finally issued a refund on 8/18 by Lauren for the two books. Too little too late. This after hours of e-mails and phone calls. It was obvious that TB had no concern for the time I spent trying to track down $9.90 worth of books--all because my daughter needed to have one of them read by the start of school on August 23. Which didn't happen because of TB. Worst experience with a retailer in 48 years.

2016-09-07

BOOKS WITH MULTIPLE SALES STICKERS AND STICKY RESIDUE WHEN REMOVED

"I purchased two paperback books from Thrift Books. This was my first experience with the company. While the books arrived OK, both books contained multiple sales stickers on the front cover and spine of the books. Since I collect books from this author, I removed the stickers, only to find a sticky, tacky residue where the stickers had been. I cannot even hold one of the books to read without getting the sticky substance on my hand. I am appalled at the way this bookseller handles books."

2016-08-11

NEVER AGAIN. LOST BOOKS. NOT READY FOR SCHOOL

"NEVER HEARD FROM THEM UNTIL A BAD REVIEW... CALLS, EMAILS, UNANSWERED... NEVER GOT REQUIRED LAW SCHOOL READING, WON'T GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK. AWFUL. SEEMS TO BE A PATTERN HERE OF EVERYONE GETTING RIPPED OFF..."

2016-07-30

Waited more than a month and still didn't get the book

"I ordered a book from Amazon, which was to come via Thriftbooks. Other books I ordered on same day, June 28, arrived in less than a week via Standard Shipping. Thriftbooks, when contacted said it would arrive by July 21. It didn't. Then several emails back and forth about the order, including tracking numbers, but still no results. Then an email finally saying they had sent a replacement book, no charge. But that didnt come either. Then another email saying they were issuing refund, which is not what I wanted. I wanted the book. The first and only bad experience I've had with Amazon, thanks to Thriftbooks. "

2016-07-24

never received my order

"I ordered a book on 16th june to be delivered to Italy by 4th July (max). When it hadn't come by about 10th I wrote to them, and they told me to contact them only if it hadn't arrived after 45 days! luckily i had placed the order through amazon who offerred me a refund. It's now the 24th July and i still haven't received it, will not order through Yankee clipper (child company) ever again. wish i had ordered it from another provider so i could be reading it by nowm"

2016-06-21

Dissatisfied

"I needed a book asap. Payed about $13.00 for 2 day shipping instead of opting for ground which is 5-7 business days at about $3.00. I received my book 5 business days later. Needless to say I was not happy. I tracked book and Thriftbooks charged me for 2 day shipping but set me up regular shipping with UPS. I emailed them for a refund and they kindly said no. I appreciate the kindness but thrift books is in the wrong. I could have just paid $3.00 and gotten my book in the sane amount of time. I was ripped off and don't appreciate it! "

2016-06-18

Happy in some ways

"My book shipped fast and you can't beat free shipping, so thank you for that! However, the description was misleading. It wasn't in good condition and there was more than minor wear. I opened the package and the binding was horribly damaged. Pages were falling out and there were library stickers all over it. I'm probably going to have to buy another copy, but it will do for now."

Share Thrift Books's store rating

Thrift Books is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Thrift Books is not a merchant member
Thrift Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!