• Thrift Books

Chance of future purchase: Rating 4.72/10 4.72/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 4.64/10 4.64/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 7.50/10 7.50/10

"I ordered a book and I am satisfied with the result. the shipping was free, I place my order 02/12 and received my book on 2/17 there was a holiday that week. The book is in perfect condition. It looks like new. I had no problems at all. I will use this service again and highly recommended it. that same book would have cost me $20.00 at Amazon I paid $5.57"

"Thrift Books Hello Leroy. I truly apologize that you have not received a response to your email about your incorrect item. If you could please send an email directly to sales@thriftbooks.com one of our customer service representatives will handle this right away. Again, I truly apologize".
Update: the above was their reply on facebook but have not answered 3 of my emails over 2 weeks time. I believe they are associated with Atlanta book co. and Blue Cloud books.

Like · Reply · January 27 at 2:02pm

This review was modified by Budsea on January 31 2015 06:19:57 PM

"I've purchased 27 books from Thrift Books over the past three years. All the books were as described and delivered promptly. "

"I ordered a book in paperback and they sent me an arc, which was fine, but I thought arc's weren't allowed for resale?? And the same thing happened again when I ordered another book in hardcover, and I got a paperback arc instead...I don't mind, but sometimes I'd like to get the book in the format I was expecting. "

"Very rude customer service. I took advantage of their Buy 4 Get 1 Free promotion. I received all four books fast in stated condition while one of them did not make it on time.

I contacted the customer service and a lady named Stephanie said that "something happened to the package " but never explain what that 'something' is. Then she claimed that a replacement order was created and shipped.

Few days passed, I contacted her again for the replacement updates. She said that something was wrong with my address.

Now it sounds funny. I personally work at an online retailer and I shop online more than I go to physical store. Never had I have any issue with my address, and now it happens twice with this single order?

I replied and asked what she could do to solve the problem and she said a refund was issued.

Many hours later I check my order detail in Thriftbook, as well as credit card statement and I found no refund from them.

I contacted her again, telling her how funny I feel and if she could provide a shipment proof of my second order.

She can never provide a proof of second shipment. While claiming that she has issued a refund.

Finally, she forwarded a refund notification of $2.39 which the time on the notification shows that it was just issued!

I asked her how did she get the amount of $2.39. Her response was "the lowest priced item in the purchase was ironically was the same item that went missing."

Oh wow, IRONICALLY the lowest amount was $2.99, not $2.39!!

It is not that I want to bug their customer service for that small amount. It is that as a consumer, I feel cheated, lured and wasn't respected. They run the promotion, but never ship the free book as promised. The customer service was horrible, and they should get rid of that Stephanie lady.

I was thrilled when I found this site. Lots of selection at good prices. After this? I am considering to spend my money else where.

Updates - the fifth book finally arrived. All these could have been avoided had Stephanie could provide a shipment tracking number. They seriously need to improve their customer service.

This review was modified by puihan1204 on December 25 2014 07:08:58 AM

"Ordered a book from Thrift Books on 12 Nov, they state delivery takes 15-20 days. On 10 December I file a contact form to ask where my book is. No reply in 5 days. Will keep away from them in the future. "

"I'm so glad I found thrift books.com!!! I am a collector of Stephen King books. There were several that I was having trouble finding and when I did find them they were too expensive. I purchased seven books from the site, all of which came in the condition they were listed in. I only paid $26 for all of them and got free shipping. On top of that I got 50 cent off for each additional book after the first. That saved me another $3. Thank you so much for making me a happy happy lady!!!"

"good service so far I will order again"

"First time ordered from Thriftbooks. Ordered the book "the sweet smell of christmas" it was rated "used in very good condition". I'd like to know how many others think a book with literally ripped page (half pages missing) and then scent stickers completely removed from book- is considered really good condition? The book literally looks like it should go directly in garbage. Don't believe the condition of books they post!"

"I ordered a book on 3rd October for my husband's birthday on 20th October.I live in England. After about 3 weeks I emailed them asking them where the book was as the payment had been taken on 6th October.They said it had been posted on 6th. When it still didn't arrive,I asked them for a refund as his birthday had come and gone.They emailed that I would have to wait till 3rd November.On about 29th October,26 days after I ordered,I asked again for a refund and got the same response.it finally arrived on 31st October,28 days after I placed the order and 25 days after they took the payment. I would NEVER use them again as their customer service is as poor as their delivery time."

"I ordered a book and paid extra for express shipping. After 10 business days had passed I still had not received my order. I contacted a customer service rep to find out why my book had not arrived. I was told that they could not find my order and they would ship me a replacement book. I asked them to just refund me my money but they would not. I exchanged emails back and forth and got generic response emails that were cut and pasted from previous emails in our chain. I finally received my book 3 weeks later. This was the worst online shopping experience I ever had. If there was a way to give negative stars I would. I will never purchase books through Thrift Books/Green Earth Books again."

This review was modified by books-4-school on October 23 2014 12:16:20 PM

"I have bought DOZENS of book through ThriftBooks and never had a problem. I work at a half-way house and buy NA and AA books from them at a price that I can afford to give away to new residents. I do not work for ThriftBooks, nor did they ask me to write a review. To those who have had negative experiences, I am sincerely surprised. Nothing but good for me."

"I looked at dozens of online bookshops but Thrift Books was by far the cheapest. Book arrived after twelve days and in great condition considering the price. Very happy with the purchase."

This review was modified by oscar3kings on September 24 2014 12:43:48 AM

"I have been an avid reader my WHOLE LIFE...and due to some personal changes, I had to give up my considerable library a few years ago...yet I found there were certain books that I could NOT let go...and of course, buying them new again, is financially prohibitive...not to mention, quite a few of them are out of print, however, I have been able to utilize Thrift Books to find my old friends with the greatest of ease and at a minimal of expense. I am a HAPPY CAMPTER!!!!"

This review was modified by Lala11_67 on October 15 2014 01:06:32 PM

"I just recently discovered thriftbooks a few months ago. So far I love it. My local libraries rarely have books I'm interested in so this is a great way to find the books I want to read without paying full price. I don't expect the books to be in great condition. The last book I read was obviously old and well read but for $2.89, that's fine with me. I wasn't paid or asked to write this. I was google searching a question regarding thrift books and this link popped up. "

Share Thrift Books's store rating

Thrift Books is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Thrift Books is not a merchant member
Thrift Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!