Product & services pricing Rating 7.02/10 7.02/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 4.55/10 4.55/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.12/10 2.12/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 4.38/10 4.38/10

Thrift Books User

"I read the reviews before my purchase at Thrift Books and was very nervous when I actually placed my order, but I couldn't beat the prices. Within one-two days I received emails about each book that was being shipped. I received all of my books exactly 7 days after I ordered them! I also ordered books labeled good or better and they're all in perfect condition. I was pleasantly surprised with my order and the company :)"

Thrift Books User

"They listed the book SEWING MADE EASY but sent me GRAND MANUEL DE LA COUTURE FACILE which is a French book. They expected the buyer to understand that they were selling the French and German edition. But the photo of the book was the English version, which was its main selling point. Granted I made a mistake, they were also deliberately deceptive. "

Thrift Books User

"DO NOT BUY FROM THEM! Do not buy from them, do not buy from them. Cannot stress that enought. Wish I had read reviews from them before buying. Still haven't received my item after two weeks which claim to have been shipped. No tracking number, no business phone number. Should've known not order from a company with no phone number. Have emailed the company no response. It's pathetic. Never again! "

"I bought eleven books. Good price, arrived within a week. ThriftBooks is a company I'll definitely recommend and buy from again."

"The paperback book I bought is in okay condition except that it is all bent out of shape on the bottom corner away from the spine. This could well have happened during shipping as this seller, as so many others, just drops the book in a plastic envelope and sends it off; no bubble wrap or packing material whatsoever. I have sold a few books privately and always seek to protect the book for the buyer; and I would do the same were I in business too. The sad thing is that although I give stars equivalent to "not very likely" to shop here again, I will no doubt forget as the experience is not totally horrendous."

"This was such a great buy for me. I really love the books I bought! Great books for great prices! Definitely gonna buy more books in the future from here. My only complain would be the shipping. It's a bit slow. But I'm willing to sacrifice it because hey "FREE SHIPPING". I'll recommend this to anyone who wants cheap books."

modified review This review was modified by EllieMea on July 31 2014 02:59:18 PM

"Complete scam. The people who list good reviews for this site are paid. I ordered some books two months ago and they never arrived. I tried contacting thiftbooks about it the first month my books didnt arrive and they dont even have a number, so I emailed them and they took forever to reply and were rude and condescending as if it were my fault. Fast forward another month and I still havent received any books or a refund."

modified review This review was modified by Twy1837 on July 14 2014 09:52:02 AM

"What a wonderful site. I have ordered many books from here and all have been in perfect condition. I love the free shipping as well. I highly recommend them without hesitation."

modified review This review was modified by Lifesgood74 on June 27 2014 10:15:01 AM

"Just ordered a couple textbooks from them and I highly recommend them! I had a great experience and will be shopping with them again."

"Complete scum. I ordered a book that never arrived. I also wasn't aware that Green Earth, where I ordered from, was part of this large chain. The very way in which they structure their business is dishonest -- they try to make each of their individual businesses look like a small, independent bookstore when in reality they're anything but. "

modified review This review was modified by polarspider on May 01 2014 09:46:03 AM

"Due to the number of cover names under which Thriftbooks operates I have inadvertently ordered from them on a number of occasions, much to my chagrin. Having read the reviews, negative and positive, I can only say that my experience is echoed by the negative. I
cannot understand how the positives could come from other than shills. Order at your peril is my best advice.

"Wow. I am so surprised by these reviews. This is an absolutely wonderful site for book lovers with little money. I definitely would not buy any real books from here, for practical reasons, but for casual readings, abloustely. I found this site when I about in sixth or fifth grade. Loved it then and love it now after around 3,4 years. The shipping can be slow, but it's FREE, so that's that. The condition of my books are fairly good. I can read them and they blend in nicely with the rest of my books. No complainants. Never encountered customer service either. Overall, I get to buy loads of books for cheap, sometimes up to five dollars (maybe 10) off. Think about the money it saves. Usually everything is in stock or comes in stock fairly quickly. Now, newer and popular books do go out of stock. Point in case: Divergent. Customer for life, give it a go, you will only be out of about $5.00? Haven't ordered recently, but I am soon. I am expecting great turnouts. Oh, and if you sign up, they do have order histories. Someone said they didn't. Just wanted to clear that up. Wish-list is cool and allow you to know when things are in stock. 3 books for $12? Think about it. "

modified review This review was modified by Lalastar on March 25 2014 11:15:48 PM

"Thrift books and their "associates" do not know how to accurately describe their books. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND BUYING ANYTHING FROM THEM!

Here is a list of the bookstores associated with this company. Green Earth Books, the Atlanta Book Company, Motor City Books, Blue Cloud Books, Yankee Clipper Books, Silver Arch Books, Books Squared, Free State Books, and Sierra Nevada Books.

I received an book described as "as new" which was dirty, worn and water damaged. I received a book listed as "very good" with heavy highlighting and underlining on the inside. I also just received a book which probably was in quite nice condition but their packaging which is nothing but a thin piece of plastic allowed the books corners to become very bumped an damaged in the mail.

Their books are usually covered with stickers and not at all in the condition described.

I would avoid these so called "booksellers" at all costs.

modified review This review was modified by viridian on January 30 2014 02:21:15 PM

"I have bought books from online book stores before but Thrift Books is by far the best! Quick responses from email, excellent customer service and book arrived in excellent condition..Not to forget that the prices are the cheapest/A1 won't purchase anywhere else if I find the book at Thrift Books"

modified review This review was modified by billeita on November 06 2013 10:04:08 AM

"I just received the book today; as soon as I opened it I noticed the cover was bumpy. I pulled back the cover the book has massive water damage and covered in mold."

modified review This review was modified by jeffhanvy on August 27 2013 02:23:27 PM

Thrift Books is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Thrift Books is not a merchant member
Thrift Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!