Product & services pricing Rating 7.78/10 7.78/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 5.83/10 5.83/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 4.44/10 4.44/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10

"A disappointing experience. I ordered four books. Two came fine. The third came with the first 140 pages missing. The fourth never came at all. The order total was $51.02.

After e-mails I was credited $27.83. So I figured that I paid $23.69 for the two whole books, and one partial book, which I did receive. So I will end this and never knowingly do business with this place again.

I was irritated by the fact that they do not field telephone complaints, just e-mail.

But I really wish that they would just ship what a person pays for, and check the condition of the books.

modified review This review was modified by hipchecker20 on April 28 2013 08:54:00 AM

"I have ordered many times from Thrift books and from many other online used book sellers-at least 50 different online sellers at Half.com,Amazon.com,Ebay,Alibris,Abe Books,etc.Thrift Books operates under many names:Free State Books,Green Earth Books,Motor City Books, Yankee Clipper Books,Blue Cloud Books,Siver Arch Books,Sierra Nevada Books,Atlanta Book Company,Books Squared.I finally caught on to their multiple names, but they are still surprising me with yet more business names--as with 1 that I just bought under the name "peach land Books" on Ebay-came in the Thrift books mailer.Condition was advertised as good & was in fact terrible condition,So I contacted seller and was refunded the charge under the name "Atlantic Books" That's 3 different companies for this 1 transaction This is my BIG COMPLAINT about this company of many names. They have an extremely poor rating system. I cannot depend on their ratings & therefore I try to order from another vendor even if the book costs more, because I assume I can get a more accurate rating from virtually every other seller.The problem is that I still don't know all the names Thrift Books operates under. So I still get fooled."

modified review This review was modified by jonesktl on April 15 2013 11:28:59 PM

"I ordered a book from thriftbooks. I waited for a month but didn't received it. I followed them up 4x. They shipped 2 books in different occasions but nothing arrived. I'm really disappointed cause I really need the book in school. It's my midterms I was forced to take a picture of my friends book just catch up on my lessons. I definitely don't recommend this to anyone."

"I STRONGLY recommend NOT ordering from this company. I ordered a book that was "Quality - Very Good". That was not what I received. I received a book that was written all over and it had serious mold damage. This book never should have been sold let alone passed off as in "very good" condition. The company has not refunded my money. Although the company indicated it did so (I could keep the book), it has been over a week and I have not received the credit. I don't feel the company can be trusted. All for $3.55."

modified review This review was modified by momoftwinboys on February 04 2013 10:53:09 PM

"I ordered a $70 book on a Sunday Dec. 16 via eBay from Green Ducks Books, which operates under Thriftbooks. The listing was peculiar, and Monday morning early I wrote to alert the of the problem. They answered right away that the book had been already shipped. A second message of concern came the next day. On Friday Dec. 21 the wrong book arrived. I wrote immediately and opened a protest with PayPal, offering to return the book if they would pay the postage. On the morning of Dec. 26 the charge was canceled with a very nice message saying I could keep the book they sent. You can't get better service than that!"

"I ordered a textbook which was listed as Very Good condition.
When it arrived 2.5 weeks later, I found it to be damaged and in unacceptably poor condition.

I emailed them with my complaint and they refunded the full price (including shipping) within hours, and said not to bother returning the book.

So, I'll probably give them another try, and hope that I get a book that is closer to its advertised condition.

"DO NOT BUY FROM THRIFT BOOK/MOTOR CITY BOOKS!!! I ordered a book for school on 9/19/12 and as of 10/5/12 it has not arrived. They sent it media mail rather than standard UPS despite the fact I paid $4 for shipping. When I contacted the company they said the " Delivery Estimate: Wednesday September 26, 2012 - Friday October 12, 2012" and there was nothing they could do. ARe you kidding me!!! This is the only company I have ever had problems with. I had to order the book from another company and had to pay for 2nd day air just to get it when I needed it to write my paper. DO NOT BUY FROM THRIFT BOOK/MOTOR CITY BOOKS!!!
They also are apart of Thrift Books | Green Earth Books | Motor City Books | Atlanta Book Company | Blue Cloud Books | Yankee Clipper Books | Books Squared | Silver Arch Books | Free State Books | Sierra Nevada Books[Mass Market Paperback]

"I have been shopping with Thriftbooks for a very long time, and I love them! Thriftbooks is my little obsession. The prices are wonderful, and I never even have to think about shipping costs since they have none unless you need your order expedited, which is a nice option.
Only one time have I ever had an issue with an order. My order came, and one of the books was missing. I e-mailed customer service, and they immediately shipped the book out that I was missing, no questions asked.
I like the rating system that they use for the condition of the books, and I'm always pleased when I receive my order. A lot of the time the books are in better shape than I even expected.
I have recommended them to all of my family and friends, and I plan to continue to do business with them, myself, for a very long time. Now, I just need a bigger book shelf...

"I have a Mixed review. I ordered 2 books to be used for homeschool curriculum. One was "like new" exactly as described. I was not nearly as happy as with the 2nd. While I realize descriptions can be somewhat subjective, they described it as "very good". The surface of the binding had a definite rip in it, and the front & back cover contained multiple nicks/tears/creases. I wouldn't have given this book more than a "good" rating. I'm not sure I'd go back, based on this experience."

"I was just searching for some used books and free shipping, and that's how I found thriftbooks. I received my order a week later and I'm really satisfied with my order! The books are in good condition and looks brand new! No tax added in the U.S. and also free shipping! I would recommend thriftbooks to all people!"

"After reading a few reviews on Thrift Books, i decided to just go with my order and put all my trust into this store. My orders just came in, and i'm not happy at all. It's funny because most of the books that i ordered stated they were
"Like New"- An apparently unread copy in perfect condition. Dust cover is intact; pages are clean and are not marred by notes or folds of any kind.
The condition i got my books in were more like
"Acceptable"- A readable copy. All pages are intact, and the cover is intact (the dust cover may be missing). Pages can include considerable notes--in pen or highlighter--but the notes cannot obscure the text.
There's like boogers or something on the back of my book, and i feel really grossed out. There are crumbs in between the pages, highlighter marks, pen marks, side notes, folds on almost every page. The cover of one of the books has a BIG scratch through it, and each book looks like it's been thrown into a garbage truck and shaken all up.

BUT, thrift books took responsibility for this problem, and they really do care about the customer feedback they receive.

modified review This review was modified by christykrabs on June 14 2012 01:46:18 PM

"The book I purchased stated it was in excellent condition, and it was not. The book cover was very dirty and covered with grease spots and there was no cover. "

"I have been very unhappy with Thrift Books. I order books through Abebooks.com and every time that an order has been screwed up, every time a book has had to be returned because I did not receive the book as described, Thrift Books has been involved. And this is not once or twice, but now five or six times, as well as some in which I just threw up my hands and kept the book. Why keep buying from them? Well, they have a number of affiliates, and you don't know this -- at least from the Abebooks website -- until you receive the book from who else but Thrift Books. I have since found out that those sellers are Atlanta Book Co., Greenearthbooks, Motorcitybooks, Books Squared, Yankee Clipper Books, Blue Cloud Books, Silver Arch Books and Free State Books. My experience with Thrift Books has been AWFUL and I would encourage you to look into other sellers, even if a book costs a little more. On a lesser note, their books are sent in a plastic bag, basically, not a protective box or protective (bubble wrap type) envelope of any kind."

"I usually find the book I want on amazon.com, grab the ISBN and search for it on Thrifbook.com's site. They are cheap and with free shipping, I usually get the best deal that way. Gotta be patient with the shipping, but if you pick a nearby warehouse, shipping is faster. And the international shipping is a very good deal--I've bought several books for family overseas."

"Thrift Books is great. I've bought a ton of books from them and they always arrive quickly. It's a legit site that usually has the best prices. I'm a happy customer."

Thrift Books is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Thrift Books is not a merchant member
Thrift Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!