• Rating 3.67/10 33 reviews

Thrift Books is not a merchant member
    Thrift Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • Thrift Books contact information

Chance of future purchase: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10

"I was just searching for some used books and free shipping, and that's how I found thriftbooks. I received my order a week later and I'm really satisfied with my order! The books are in good condition and looks brand new! No tax added in the U.S. and also free shipping! I would recommend thriftbooks to all people!"

"After reading a few reviews on Thrift Books, i decided to just go with my order and put all my trust into this store. My orders just came in, and i'm not happy at all. It's funny because most of the books that i ordered stated they were
"Like New"- An apparently unread copy in perfect condition. Dust cover is intact; pages are clean and are not marred by notes or folds of any kind.
The condition i got my books in were more like
"Acceptable"- A readable copy. All pages are intact, and the cover is intact (the dust cover may be missing). Pages can include considerable notes--in pen or highlighter--but the notes cannot obscure the text.
There's like boogers or something on the back of my book, and i feel really grossed out. There are crumbs in between the pages, highlighter marks, pen marks, side notes, folds on almost every page. The cover of one of the books has a BIG scratch through it, and each book looks like it's been thrown into a garbage truck and shaken all up.

BUT, thrift books took responsibility for this problem, and they really do care about the customer feedback they receive.

modified review This review was modified by christykrabs on June 14 2012 01:46:18 PM

"The book I purchased stated it was in excellent condition, and it was not. The book cover was very dirty and covered with grease spots and there was no cover. "

"I have been very unhappy with Thrift Books. I order books through Abebooks.com and every time that an order has been screwed up, every time a book has had to be returned because I did not receive the book as described, Thrift Books has been involved. And this is not once or twice, but now five or six times, as well as some in which I just threw up my hands and kept the book. Why keep buying from them? Well, they have a number of affiliates, and you don't know this -- at least from the Abebooks website -- until you receive the book from who else but Thrift Books. I have since found out that those sellers are Atlanta Book Co., Greenearthbooks, Motorcitybooks, Books Squared, Yankee Clipper Books, Blue Cloud Books, Silver Arch Books and Free State Books. My experience with Thrift Books has been AWFUL and I would encourage you to look into other sellers, even if a book costs a little more. On a lesser note, their books are sent in a plastic bag, basically, not a protective box or protective (bubble wrap type) envelope of any kind."

"I usually find the book I want on amazon.com, grab the ISBN and search for it on Thrifbook.com's site. They are cheap and with free shipping, I usually get the best deal that way. Gotta be patient with the shipping, but if you pick a nearby warehouse, shipping is faster. And the international shipping is a very good deal--I've bought several books for family overseas."

"I've bought tons of books from these guys and they're legit. Books always come in decent condition and they are SO FREAKIN' CHEAP! Also, better to buy from thriftbooks than anywhere else when you are buying multiple books b/c you can get a discount when two of your books come from the same warehouse."

"I order books from thriftbooks.com regularly and I was amazed to find they had such a poor rating on here. Thriftbooks has the best prices and free shipping as well as $0.50 off for each book you order from the same warehouse. I've been buying books from them since 2008 and have purchased more than 60 books from them. I love the wishlist feature on their website that lets you keep track of the books you want to buy. You can search their website by isbn number and if they don't currently have the book in stock you can add it to your wishlist. You can set it to send you an email if the book that isn't in stock comes in and is added to their stock.

Only once have I received a book that wasn't as described but it was not their fault. The book I ordered was a hard cover and the book I received was a paperback. The book was an advanced readers copy and had the barcode and isbn number that was to be on the hard cover book when it was released.

As another reviewer here said they do send emails out when your items ship. If you have multiple items from different warehouses then you receive emails when each part of your order ships.

It does take a while to get your order in the mail but that is due to them using usps media mail. It is slow but very cheap so they are able to offer free shipping. However, they do have multiple warehouses that they ship from, if you can order the book you are looking for from the one closest to you it will arrive fairly quickly.

"I ordered a textbook I needed for my literature class on Thrift Books. The edition I needed was the 13th, with that many editions out on the market I wanted to make sure the book I was ordering was the right book. In the description it did indeed say the 13th edition from the author I needed, along with much more information about the book. When the book finally arrived, I was the 5th edition from the same author. Very disappointed!! Now I have to find another place to purchase that book from and my class has already been in session."

"I ordered 4 different books and 2 where from the same vender and the other two were from different. I paid with my paypal account since I though it would be safe. I double checked my order to make sure i didnt order the same book twice! I later received an email on 08/03/2011 saying my books had been shipped. There is a shipment dates if 4-14 days! I received mine on 08/11/2011! 8 Days is not bad! The books are in good condition to be used! Will start buying all my books from here!"

"I had the same problem as "buffaloborn" did. I orderd 3 different books and instead got two copies of one book and no copies of another. (I ordered book A, book B, and book C. I received book A, and 2 copies of book B, but no book C.) Through emails (there is no customer service phone number) they said there was no record of me ordering book C and that I accidentally ordered 2 copies of book B. I believed them at the time and assumed it was a problem with Internet Explorer 9 not loading pages properly (which does happen a lot) but now I think it is a scam. If I ever order from Thrift Books again, which is unlikely, I will PRINT OUT MY ORDER FORM BEFORE I CLICK ENTER because it disappears into cyberspace. There is no record of what I actually ordered because I believe they altered my order form/receipt (sent by email) to make it look like I had ordered 2 copies of book B. I know I didn't do this because I ALWAYS double check the order form to make sure it is correct.
I am debating whether or not to return the book given buffaloborn's experience.
FYI, the order was from the Thrift Books store in Seattle, WA.

"Fast, cheap easy, item as described. I will be getting every book ill ever need from thriftbooks from now on! You have my buisness for life!"

"I was a little nervous ordering after reading some of these reviews, but i'm glad I did. I used free shipping, so it took about 10 days to recieve one book, and 5 for the other. My rated 'acceptable' book looked brand new. Just keep in mind that these are books that you would find at a thrift store or garage sale. This is now the first place I search when i'm looking for books, no longer will I go to an auction site. "

"I ordered two different books and they sent me two of the same book. Was told to return for a full refund only to be told afterwards that shipping is not part of a 'full' refund. It cost more to return the book than it was worth so I wouldn't have returned it had I been given a full disclosure.They won't even give me the book I originally ordered. Buyer BEWARE!! "

"this is the third time i am using them. their prices are the cheapest around. you DO get your order. the only thing i didn't like was the rating system is way off. it will say "excellent" and be in poor shape. another one will say good or fair and then be excellent. they are used books and it is free shipping, and they have almost everything. so not bad thrift books. also, its consistent and reliable, no surprises. it says its 3.95 and then fifty cents off if you use the same book handler for the next one and it really IS 3.95 and then fifty cents off. nothing hidden. i like their consistency and simplicity."

"This is the first time I have ordered books online and I received my books in 8 business days when I was told up to 14 business days and the books were in very good condition. I will definitely use thriftbooks.com again soon:)"