Stores > Thrift Books

Chance of future purchase: Rating 3.57/10 3.57/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 3.04/10 3.04/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.57/10 3.57/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10
Voice your opinion! Review Thrift Books by clicking a star below.

2016-10-17

What more can I ask?!!

"While Thriftbooks may not have every title, the list is extensive, the prices perfect, the condition as promised, the shipping speedy, the rewards program seductive and the web site friendly. Meets my needs to a tee. "

2016-09-15

FRAUDULENT COMPANY

"Just wanted to let everyone here know that ThriftBooks.com has illegally attained my bank card #, and has fraudulently charged me. The matter will be resolved with and I have already contacted Chase, as I obviously don't trust these thieves to refund me, and neither should any of you.

The scary thing is, the same charge was fraudulently taken out of my account 2 months ago from a whole other company called CampusBooks.com, forcing me to acquire a new bank card. Well, two months later, ANOTHER book 'company',...this one, Thriftbooks, has now also fraudulently charged me on my new card, for the SAME amount as mentioned.

2016-09-12

Customer Service Debacle

"I placed an order on 7/29 for 3 books. One arrived on 8/5 via DHS shipping. When the other 2 didn't show, I started corresponding with Thrift Books (referred to as TB throughout), OSM Shipping, and USPS to try to either get a refund or have new books expedited to us. The calls to OSM and USPS took over an HOUR of my time. My daughter needed to have one of these read in its entirety by school's start on 8/23.
The 2 books shipped from Arizona to OSM shipping in Nevada on 8/1, then shipped from OSM on 8/2, reaching Illinois on the 4th. SIX DAYS LATER it went to FL, when its final destination was to be Arkansas! Tried to call TB on 8/11, but no phone number provided on any website or subsequent communication, so I e-mailed Vaurissa at TB. She told me to wait until 8/19! Unacceptable. On 8/12 I attempted to reply to Vaurissa, and cc Mike Ward, TB's president, asking for a refund or new books to be expedited to my daughter. None of Ward's online contact information was correct, so I was unable to reach him, and Vaurissa at TB never replied. On 8/16, the box was STILL in Florida. I contacted TB on 8/18, again asking for a refund because the books never arrived. Finally issued a refund on 8/18 by Lauren for the two books. Too little too late. This after hours of e-mails and phone calls. It was obvious that TB had no concern for the time I spent trying to track down $9.90 worth of books--all because my daughter needed to have one of them read by the start of school on August 23. Which didn't happen because of TB. Worst experience with a retailer in 48 years.

This review was modified by ABowlby on September 12 2016 11:13:58 AM

2016-09-07

BOOKS WITH MULTIPLE SALES STICKERS AND STICKY RESIDUE WHEN REMOVED

"I purchased two paperback books from Thrift Books. This was my first experience with the company. While the books arrived OK, both books contained multiple sales stickers on the front cover and spine of the books. Since I collect books from this author, I removed the stickers, only to find a sticky, tacky residue where the stickers had been. I cannot even hold one of the books to read without getting the sticky substance on my hand. I am appalled at the way this bookseller handles books."

This review was modified by SMPClearwater on September 07 2016 03:03:41 PM

2016-08-11

NEVER AGAIN. LOST BOOKS. NOT READY FOR SCHOOL

"NEVER HEARD FROM THEM UNTIL A BAD REVIEW... CALLS, EMAILS, UNANSWERED... NEVER GOT REQUIRED LAW SCHOOL READING, WON'T GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK. AWFUL. SEEMS TO BE A PATTERN HERE OF EVERYONE GETTING RIPPED OFF..."

2016-07-30

Waited more than a month and still didn't get the book

"I ordered a book from Amazon, which was to come via Thriftbooks. Other books I ordered on same day, June 28, arrived in less than a week via Standard Shipping. Thriftbooks, when contacted said it would arrive by July 21. It didn't. Then several emails back and forth about the order, including tracking numbers, but still no results. Then an email finally saying they had sent a replacement book, no charge. But that didnt come either. Then another email saying they were issuing refund, which is not what I wanted. I wanted the book. The first and only bad experience I've had with Amazon, thanks to Thriftbooks. "

This review was modified by farmboy68 on July 30 2016 01:57:01 PM

2016-07-24

never received my order

"I ordered a book on 16th june to be delivered to Italy by 4th July (max). When it hadn't come by about 10th I wrote to them, and they told me to contact them only if it hadn't arrived after 45 days! luckily i had placed the order through amazon who offerred me a refund. It's now the 24th July and i still haven't received it, will not order through Yankee clipper (child company) ever again. wish i had ordered it from another provider so i could be reading it by nowm"

This review was modified by guindelene on July 24 2016 01:06:30 PM

2016-06-21

Dissatisfied

"I needed a book asap. Payed about $13.00 for 2 day shipping instead of opting for ground which is 5-7 business days at about $3.00. I received my book 5 business days later. Needless to say I was not happy. I tracked book and Thriftbooks charged me for 2 day shipping but set me up regular shipping with UPS. I emailed them for a refund and they kindly said no. I appreciate the kindness but thrift books is in the wrong. I could have just paid $3.00 and gotten my book in the sane amount of time. I was ripped off and don't appreciate it! "

2016-06-18

Happy in some ways

"My book shipped fast and you can't beat free shipping, so thank you for that! However, the description was misleading. It wasn't in good condition and there was more than minor wear. I opened the package and the binding was horribly damaged. Pages were falling out and there were library stickers all over it. I'm probably going to have to buy another copy, but it will do for now."

This review was modified by Cerapearl on June 18 2016 09:59:47 AM

2016-05-29

I really like Thriftbooks

"I've bought around $80 in books from Thriftbooks. (Three separate transactions) Yes, the shipping does take a little while, but at least they warn you that shipping takes 4-14 days BEFORE you buy the books, so I can't really complain. In my experience, Thriftbooks has proven to be the best way to buy cheap books. They even gave me a $50 giftcard which I won from a contest they were doing. IT MADE MY DAY! Despite all of the other bad reviews, I really do recommend Thriftbooks. ONE OTHER THING: Their books are not always in the greatest condition!! Sometimes they smell like smoke or are taped together. They'really still perfectly readable, though, especially for avid readers who haven't OCD."

This review was modified by Ladymidnight on May 29 2016 05:13:38 PM

2016-05-29

Gave it a try

"This is the first time I have ordered from this site. I ordered four books, and was very happy with the price. They were all shipped quickly and arrived much sooner than I thought they would. All books were labeled in good condition, but one had a torn front cover and a puncture in the back that went through several pages. However it was still readable and the other three were exactly as expected. I am overall pleased and will be ordering from Thrift Books again."

This review was modified by Meagan6 on May 29 2016 10:53:50 AM

2016-05-14

Beware !!! They DON'T RESPOND to e-mails, DON'T REFUND & LIE about book conditions!

"I bought books from them twice! Each time I bought "Like New" condition, which means "apparently Unread copy in PERFECT condition, dust cover INTACT"! What I got? My first order/book's dust cover was worn, you would never call it "Like New". Never mind, I made another "Like New" purchase. This one was absolutely disaster!!! Heavily used book, worn dust cover, damaged and out of glue spine! Its condition wasn't "Like New", not even "Very Good". They sent me book with "Good" condition. Heavy 1000 pages hard cover book with damaged spine! Hard to use! But that's not the worse thing happened! I wrote them an e-mail! No one answered! I wrote them again and again! No RESPONSE !!! I opened their facebook page and wrote what I think about them! Then I got response saying "sorry for delay but we have new email address, please send to this one!" But it was lie, because customer service's email address in main page was the same! Anyway I did as I was told! I sent e-mail to given e-mail address and of course got no response! Waited and sent again, no response! Went back to their facebook page and said about their lie! They contacted with me and said "sorry for late answer, we have issued a full refund". You know what? They lied again! No refund! I wrote them back again! They said "We have issued a full refund, you need to wait 3-5 days to see it". It was lie again, because in PayPal account it's visible immediately, but it appears in debit/credit card after 3-5 days! Day later I contacted with PayPal and asked them to check! They confirmed: "No refund have been issued !!!". I wrote them back and said about their lie and fraud! Minutes later I got my refund! Do you know other this kind of bookseller? I don't think so! Beware of your money and nerves!!! Don't be fooled by their low prices and book conditions! Shop with confidence from other bookshops. I never experienced such ignorance! If you have problems with your purchase/order they will ignore you. They don't care about their customers! I waisted several weeks with them! I'm writing this to prevent you from such experience!"

This review was modified by Nazim555 on May 14 2016 04:52:06 AM

2016-05-03

My order disappeared but they still took my money!

"I ordered 6 books using the "summersale" coupon code, I placed the order and it took a really long time to load. Then it didn't give me a confirmation page or anything, it just kicked me back to the main page. All of the items were still in my cart, so I became skeptical. I went to my account and there was my order number, but it said "# OF ITEMS: 0, STATUS: Pending, PRICE: $18.82." I immediately emailed them and asked about this, about five minutes later, I go back to my orders and there's nothing there! I just checked my back account and the money is taken but it's still pending. I don't know what to do now, since I can't find any other way to contact these fools."

This review was modified by lindseyymariee on May 03 2016 01:59:12 PM

2016-04-18

The post office returned my book and they kept the money!

"I ordered the whole hitchhikers series for my son in dec '15. I didn't get them by jan '16 I called the post office and they said they were on a pallet. But I forgot abotu it untill few weeks ago. I found out that it had the wrong address. and I checked thriftbooks and they have my correct address. I contacted them and the response I got back was:

"Greetings from Thriftbooks,
Unfortunately, your order was placed in December therefore, it is outside of our 90 day time frame. I truly apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. In the future, please contact us within 90 days regarding an order. Once again I truly apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

All the best,
Vaurissa
Thriftbooks"

So basically I lose 34.82!

Thanks!

screw you too!

This review was modified by joemez on April 18 2016 07:10:53 PM

2016-03-31

Lost books.

"Customer service is a joke. You cant contact them except by email and it takes an act of congress to get them to reply. I ordered 9 books from them and recieved 3 of the 9 quickly and they were in awesome condition....my other six havent made it to me yet. Tracking says they were delivered but they were not. (I use a p.o. box) and now i cant even get in contact with them to get either my books or a refund. They just wont respond to my emails. "

This review was modified by Leslienicolecallahan on March 31 2016 02:46:27 PM

Share Thrift Books's store rating

Thrift Books is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Thrift Books is not a merchant member
Thrift Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!