Stores > Thrift Books

Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.36/10 1.36/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.83/10 0.83/10
2016-05-29

I really like Thriftbooks

"I've bought around $80 in books from Thriftbooks. (Three separate transactions) Yes, the shipping does take a little while, but at least they warn you that shipping takes 4-14 days BEFORE you buy the books, so I can't really complain. In my experience, Thriftbooks has proven to be the best way to buy cheap books. They even gave me a $50 giftcard which I won from a contest they were doing. IT MADE MY DAY! Despite all of the other bad reviews, I really do recommend Thriftbooks. ONE OTHER THING: Their books are not always in the greatest condition!! Sometimes they smell like smoke or are taped together. They'really still perfectly readable, though, especially for avid readers who haven't OCD."

This review was modified by Ladymidnight on May 29 2016 05:13:38 PM

2016-05-29

Gave it a try

"This is the first time I have ordered from this site. I ordered four books, and was very happy with the price. They were all shipped quickly and arrived much sooner than I thought they would. All books were labeled in good condition, but one had a torn front cover and a puncture in the back that went through several pages. However it was still readable and the other three were exactly as expected. I am overall pleased and will be ordering from Thrift Books again."

This review was modified by Meagan6 on May 29 2016 10:53:50 AM

2016-05-14

Beware !!! They DON'T RESPOND to e-mails, DON'T REFUND & LIE about book conditions!

"I bought books from them twice! Each time I bought "Like New" condition, which means "apparently Unread copy in PERFECT condition, dust cover INTACT"! What I got? My first order/book's dust cover was worn, you would never call it "Like New". Never mind, I made another "Like New" purchase. This one was absolutely disaster!!! Heavily used book, worn dust cover, damaged and out of glue spine! Its condition wasn't "Like New", not even "Very Good". They sent me book with "Good" condition. Heavy 1000 pages hard cover book with damaged spine! Hard to use! But that's not the worse thing happened! I wrote them an e-mail! No one answered! I wrote them again and again! No RESPONSE !!! I opened their facebook page and wrote what I think about them! Then I got response saying "sorry for delay but we have new email address, please send to this one!" But it was lie, because customer service's email address in main page was the same! Anyway I did as I was told! I sent e-mail to given e-mail address and of course got no response! Waited and sent again, no response! Went back to their facebook page and said about their lie! They contacted with me and said "sorry for late answer, we have issued a full refund". You know what? They lied again! No refund! I wrote them back again! They said "We have issued a full refund, you need to wait 3-5 days to see it". It was lie again, because in PayPal account it's visible immediately, but it appears in debit/credit card after 3-5 days! Day later I contacted with PayPal and asked them to check! They confirmed: "No refund have been issued !!!". I wrote them back and said about their lie and fraud! Minutes later I got my refund! Do you know other this kind of bookseller? I don't think so! Beware of your money and nerves!!! Don't be fooled by their low prices and book conditions! Shop with confidence from other bookshops. I never experienced such ignorance! If you have problems with your purchase/order they will ignore you. They don't care about their customers! I waisted several weeks with them! I'm writing this to prevent you from such experience!"

This review was modified by Nazim555 on May 14 2016 04:52:06 AM

2016-05-03

My order disappeared but they still took my money!

"I ordered 6 books using the "summersale" coupon code, I placed the order and it took a really long time to load. Then it didn't give me a confirmation page or anything, it just kicked me back to the main page. All of the items were still in my cart, so I became skeptical. I went to my account and there was my order number, but it said "# OF ITEMS: 0, STATUS: Pending, PRICE: $18.82." I immediately emailed them and asked about this, about five minutes later, I go back to my orders and there's nothing there! I just checked my back account and the money is taken but it's still pending. I don't know what to do now, since I can't find any other way to contact these fools."

This review was modified by lindseyymariee on May 03 2016 01:59:12 PM

2016-04-18

The post office returned my book and they kept the money!

"I ordered the whole hitchhikers series for my son in dec '15. I didn't get them by jan '16 I called the post office and they said they were on a pallet. But I forgot abotu it untill few weeks ago. I found out that it had the wrong address. and I checked thriftbooks and they have my correct address. I contacted them and the response I got back was:

"Greetings from Thriftbooks,
Unfortunately, your order was placed in December therefore, it is outside of our 90 day time frame. I truly apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. In the future, please contact us within 90 days regarding an order. Once again I truly apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

All the best,
Vaurissa
Thriftbooks"

So basically I lose 34.82!

Thanks!

screw you too!

This review was modified by joemez on April 18 2016 07:10:53 PM

2016-03-31

Lost books.

"Customer service is a joke. You cant contact them except by email and it takes an act of congress to get them to reply. I ordered 9 books from them and recieved 3 of the 9 quickly and they were in awesome condition....my other six havent made it to me yet. Tracking says they were delivered but they were not. (I use a p.o. box) and now i cant even get in contact with them to get either my books or a refund. They just wont respond to my emails. "

This review was modified by Leslienicolecallahan on March 31 2016 02:46:27 PM

2016-02-06

sold my book quickly

"It was an easy transction. Good customer service"

2016-02-03

Free delivery means shipping will take the sloooooooow boat or sit in dist center for 3 weeks

"I was looking for a older book and I found what I needed (plus several others) on Thriftbooks.com at a very reasonable price. Since I ordered oner $10.00 worth of books, I got free shipping..Be careful what "free" means, because you may be waiting for a very long time to receive your books. I ordered the books on January 22nd and as of today (Feb 3rd) I still have not received the books. I contacted the company via email and received a "form response" stating it can take from 4 to 15 business days to receive order. Since this is not what I was requesting (I was trying to find out why the tracking numbers wouldn't give me any information on where the package was), I sent another email and finally received a "person response" and he did give me more of an update. I could not understand why the package took 5 days once it left Thriftbooks to get to the DHL shipping area which is in the same city (and I stated on email that I understand there was a big snow storm happening) but 5 days to go across town? Then it took another 3 days to actually ship from the dist center. Then another 4 days to get to the a USPS "dist. center" about 300 miles away from us and still no update on our order. Do not try to use the "tracking numbers" given to you (DHL or USPS) because they are not valid according to the DHL and USPS websites. I would have gladly paid the shipping charges to get my package sooner than 14 working days (which is actually 19 t0 20 days total) if we actually receive in that time. It should not take 3 weeks to receive something shipped from MD to WI, not in this day and age. The prices are very good but the shipping is terrible. When I order books, I get excited and want to read them as soon as possible. "

This review was modified by georgie123 on February 03 2016 08:06:19 AM

2016-01-29

Pretty Disappointed

"Although I'm quite satisfied on the shipping and how it arrived here so quickly, I'm pretty disappointed in the condition that the book came in. I ordered a paperback that was described to be in 'Very Good condition' but it's bent and warped. I don't know if the book was already like that before I ordered it, or if there was careless people involved in shipping it here. The pages themselves look old. I've brought books from Thriftbooks before and my past experiences have all been great, I've even brought paperbacks from them and they were all in excellent shape, even better than they were described. So yes, I'm quite disappointed."

This review was modified by avidreader1111 on February 01 2016 09:43:49 AM

2016-01-02

"It was a good, easy to navigate experience."

2015-12-26

"Horrid customer service - no way to speak to an actual human being. Paid for 2 day shipping and it took 5 days to arrive.

They also do not guarantee that the book that you ordered is the one you will receive - what?! How does that make any sense?!

Horrid company - avoid at all costs. Go to Amazon for your orders (and make sure it's not coming from them, as they also sell on Amazon!)

This review was modified by Bella3478 on December 26 2015 03:02:08 PM

2015-12-17

"Love Thriftbooks!!! Great books, great prices an Awesome customer service!!!"

2015-12-15

"They are a sham, they charged 5 times the shipping rate to send a book. There customer service is rude, I will never use nor recommend them to anyone for anything. "

This review was modified by jasonsloan5 on December 16 2015 07:48:47 AM

2015-12-02

"I L-O-V-E your Thrift Books website.
Great selections, great service and best yet GREAT prices.

2015-11-25

"Thrift Books is an amazing site. Quality books for a great price and fast shipping"

Share Thrift Books's store rating

Thrift Books is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Thrift Books is not a merchant member
Thrift Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!