• Thrift Books

Chance of future purchase: Rating 6.03/10 6.03/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.59/10 5.59/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.50/10 3.50/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10

"I'm so glad I found thrift books.com!!! I am a collector of Stephen King books. There were several that I was having trouble finding and when I did find them they were too expensive. I purchased seven books from the site, all of which came in the condition they were listed in. I only paid $26 for all of them and got free shipping. On top of that I got 50 cent off for each additional book after the first. That saved me another $3. Thank you so much for making me a happy happy lady!!!"

"good service so far I will order again"

"First time ordered from Thriftbooks. Ordered the book "the sweet smell of christmas" it was rated "used in very good condition". I'd like to know how many others think a book with literally ripped page (half pages missing) and then scent stickers completely removed from book- is considered really good condition? The book literally looks like it should go directly in garbage. Don't believe the condition of books they post!"

"I ordered a book on 3rd October for my husband's birthday on 20th October.I live in England. After about 3 weeks I emailed them asking them where the book was as the payment had been taken on 6th October.They said it had been posted on 6th. When it still didn't arrive,I asked them for a refund as his birthday had come and gone.They emailed that I would have to wait till 3rd November.On about 29th October,26 days after I ordered,I asked again for a refund and got the same response.it finally arrived on 31st October,28 days after I placed the order and 25 days after they took the payment. I would NEVER use them again as their customer service is as poor as their delivery time."

"I ordered a book and paid extra for express shipping. After 10 business days had passed I still had not received my order. I contacted a customer service rep to find out why my book had not arrived. I was told that they could not find my order and they would ship me a replacement book. I asked them to just refund me my money but they would not. I exchanged emails back and forth and got generic response emails that were cut and pasted from previous emails in our chain. I finally received my book 3 weeks later. This was the worst online shopping experience I ever had. If there was a way to give negative stars I would. I will never purchase books through Thrift Books/Green Earth Books again."

modified review This review was modified by books-4-school on October 23 2014 12:16:20 PM

"I have bought DOZENS of book through ThriftBooks and never had a problem. I work at a half-way house and buy NA and AA books from them at a price that I can afford to give away to new residents. I do not work for ThriftBooks, nor did they ask me to write a review. To those who have had negative experiences, I am sincerely surprised. Nothing but good for me."

"I looked at dozens of online bookshops but Thrift Books was by far the cheapest. Book arrived after twelve days and in great condition considering the price. Very happy with the purchase."

modified review This review was modified by oscar3kings on September 24 2014 12:43:48 AM

"I have been an avid reader my WHOLE LIFE...and due to some personal changes, I had to give up my considerable library a few years ago...yet I found there were certain books that I could NOT let go...and of course, buying them new again, is financially prohibitive...not to mention, quite a few of them are out of print, however, I have been able to utilize Thrift Books to find my old friends with the greatest of ease and at a minimal of expense. I am a HAPPY CAMPTER!!!!"

modified review This review was modified by Lala11_67 on October 15 2014 01:06:32 PM

"I just recently discovered thriftbooks a few months ago. So far I love it. My local libraries rarely have books I'm interested in so this is a great way to find the books I want to read without paying full price. I don't expect the books to be in great condition. The last book I read was obviously old and well read but for $2.89, that's fine with me. I wasn't paid or asked to write this. I was google searching a question regarding thrift books and this link popped up. "

"I purchased a workbook from Thrift Books that was listed as acceptable. The workbook when received was over 75% completed. I contacted Thrift books, their response was "Acceptable condition is the lowest possible condition and allow for extensive writing, notes and highlighting within the book."

Notes and highlights in a reference or reading book is understandable for a rating of acceptable. For a workbook, when the purpose is a student doing the work in the book, this a pathetic standard. The book should never be offered for sale. It is not used, it is consumed, given its purpose there it was junk. They offered for me to return the book for credit, but with shipping the cost doesn't make sense. That is not helpful. They should not be selling workbooks from the garbage heap.

modified review This review was modified by ra..wendt on September 16 2014 12:00:55 PM

"DO NOT BUY FROM THRIFT BOOKS! Ordered from them and the book that arrived is so underlined and marked up I can barely read it. This is a joke and a waste of money. "

modified review This review was modified by smithiereader on September 14 2014 06:27:26 PM

"Beware!! Beware of Thriftbooks’ bait-and-switch tactics.
It advertises books at a price, however once put into “shopping cart” its price changes. I put a $10 book into my cart while I looked for others and, at checkout time the same book showed up as $37.
When I contacted the customer service, I was told that the computer automatically changes prices. I once again had to contact them and tell them again that the price was advertised as such when I put it into my checkout cart. Again the same answer. Do I have to go talk to their computer?

modified review This review was modified by noneurbis on September 13 2014 12:05:01 PM

Thrift Books User

"Purchased books from Thrift Books for short prose course at USF. Made separate orders, one with free shipping for up to two weeks and one expedited to arrive earlier as it was needed for class. Paid $2.99 for the faster shipping and they sent it with the other books with standard shipping. No contact number on the site for customer service. Google provided a number but it does not let you speak to anyone, only leave a message. Extremely unhelpful and unprofessional. "

Thrift Books User

"I read the reviews before my purchase at Thrift Books and was very nervous when I actually placed my order, but I couldn't beat the prices. Within one-two days I received emails about each book that was being shipped. I received all of my books exactly 7 days after I ordered them! I also ordered books labeled good or better and they're all in perfect condition. I was pleasantly surprised with my order and the company :)"

Thrift Books User

"They listed the book SEWING MADE EASY but sent me GRAND MANUEL DE LA COUTURE FACILE which is a French book. They expected the buyer to understand that they were selling the French and German edition. But the photo of the book was the English version, which was its main selling point. Granted I made a mistake, they were also deliberately deceptive. "

Share Thrift Books's store rating

Thrift Books is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Thrift Books is not a merchant member
Thrift Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!