Product & services pricing Rating 7.50/10 7.50/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.25/10 2.25/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10

"The paperback book I bought is in okay condition except that it is all bent out of shape on the bottom corner away from the spine. This could well have happened during shipping as this seller, as so many others, just drops the book in a plastic envelope and sends it off; no bubble wrap or packing material whatsoever. I have sold a few books privately and always seek to protect the book for the buyer; and I would do the same were I in business too. The sad thing is that although I give stars equivalent to "not very likely" to shop here again, I will no doubt forget as the experience is not totally horrendous."

"This was such a great buy for me. I really love the books I bought! Great books for great prices! Definitely gonna buy more books in the future from here. My only complain would be the shipping. It's a bit slow. But I'm willing to sacrifice it because hey "FREE SHIPPING". I'll recommend this to anyone who wants cheap books."

modified review This review was modified by EllieMea on July 31 2014 02:59:18 PM

"Complete scam. The people who list good reviews for this site are paid. I ordered some books two months ago and they never arrived. I tried contacting thiftbooks about it the first month my books didnt arrive and they dont even have a number, so I emailed them and they took forever to reply and were rude and condescending as if it were my fault. Fast forward another month and I still havent received any books or a refund."

modified review This review was modified by Twy1837 on July 14 2014 09:52:02 AM

"What a wonderful site. I have ordered many books from here and all have been in perfect condition. I love the free shipping as well. I highly recommend them without hesitation."

modified review This review was modified by Lifesgood74 on June 27 2014 10:15:01 AM

"Just ordered a couple textbooks from them and I highly recommend them! I had a great experience and will be shopping with them again."

"Complete scum. I ordered a book that never arrived. I also wasn't aware that Green Earth, where I ordered from, was part of this large chain. The very way in which they structure their business is dishonest -- they try to make each of their individual businesses look like a small, independent bookstore when in reality they're anything but. "

modified review This review was modified by polarspider on May 01 2014 09:46:03 AM

"Due to the number of cover names under which Thriftbooks operates I have inadvertently ordered from them on a number of occasions, much to my chagrin. Having read the reviews, negative and positive, I can only say that my experience is echoed by the negative. I
cannot understand how the positives could come from other than shills. Order at your peril is my best advice.

"Wow. I am so surprised by these reviews. This is an absolutely wonderful site for book lovers with little money. I definitely would not buy any real books from here, for practical reasons, but for casual readings, abloustely. I found this site when I about in sixth or fifth grade. Loved it then and love it now after around 3,4 years. The shipping can be slow, but it's FREE, so that's that. The condition of my books are fairly good. I can read them and they blend in nicely with the rest of my books. No complainants. Never encountered customer service either. Overall, I get to buy loads of books for cheap, sometimes up to five dollars (maybe 10) off. Think about the money it saves. Usually everything is in stock or comes in stock fairly quickly. Now, newer and popular books do go out of stock. Point in case: Divergent. Customer for life, give it a go, you will only be out of about $5.00? Haven't ordered recently, but I am soon. I am expecting great turnouts. Oh, and if you sign up, they do have order histories. Someone said they didn't. Just wanted to clear that up. Wish-list is cool and allow you to know when things are in stock. 3 books for $12? Think about it. "

modified review This review was modified by Lalastar on March 25 2014 11:15:48 PM

"Thrift books and their "associates" do not know how to accurately describe their books. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND BUYING ANYTHING FROM THEM!

Here is a list of the bookstores associated with this company. Green Earth Books, the Atlanta Book Company, Motor City Books, Blue Cloud Books, Yankee Clipper Books, Silver Arch Books, Books Squared, Free State Books, and Sierra Nevada Books.

I received an book described as "as new" which was dirty, worn and water damaged. I received a book listed as "very good" with heavy highlighting and underlining on the inside. I also just received a book which probably was in quite nice condition but their packaging which is nothing but a thin piece of plastic allowed the books corners to become very bumped an damaged in the mail.

Their books are usually covered with stickers and not at all in the condition described.

I would avoid these so called "booksellers" at all costs.

modified review This review was modified by viridian on January 30 2014 02:21:15 PM

"I have bought books from online book stores before but Thrift Books is by far the best! Quick responses from email, excellent customer service and book arrived in excellent condition..Not to forget that the prices are the cheapest/A1 won't purchase anywhere else if I find the book at Thrift Books"

modified review This review was modified by billeita on November 06 2013 10:04:08 AM

"I just received the book today; as soon as I opened it I noticed the cover was bumpy. I pulled back the cover the book has massive water damage and covered in mold."

modified review This review was modified by jeffhanvy on August 27 2013 02:23:27 PM

"Very cheap prices and free shipping but you get what you pay for. A book listed as like new had a torn spine, a very good had markings on EVERY SINGLE PAGE. Also all books are sent in an unpadded plastic bag and bent corners are common. So if you care at all about the condition of the book don't go there and avoid them when you see them on amazon or abebooks. But if you just want the cheapest possible and are willing to gamble on actually being able to read it then its hard to beat them."

modified review This review was modified by ooog123 on August 26 2013 09:58:05 AM

"I think thriftbooks.com is a great place to get books for an amazing price. I've ordered many times from them, and it's always been a pleasant experience. (The order number used is the first order I ever placed with them. My most recent order is an order I placed on 04/24/2013) Who doesn't like reading personal copy of a good book for a good price?!
The book conditions are written on there, so you can see how used your book is going to be before you buy it. Their free shipping, however, is extremely slow. But you can get it sooner if you pay a little extra. Some books are not in their system. It depends on how new the book is and how high the demand is.
I always look on thriftbooks.com before I look anywhere else. I would recommend it to anyone.

modified review This review was modified by HCrowley on May 02 2013 10:14:12 PM

"Peachlandbooks, part of Thrift Books, advertised audio CDs (2006) for a Russian textbook on E-Bay. I purchased them on 04/18/2013, and on 04/25 I received a 1965 book on economic theory. I filed a complaint through E-bay on 04/25. NO RESPONSE from Peachland Books.

On 04/30 I sent a second request for information and explained that I had purchased the Russian textbook which is correlated to the CDs (from E-Bays half.com). Later in the day I got a refund for the CD purchase but NO EXPLANATION. I told them I wanted the CDs because I had purchased the textbook for the CDs.

Now I'm stuck with the textbook. I don't need it because I have an older edition. I ordered the book because the CDs that I ordered from PeachlandBooks were correlated to it.

modified review This review was modified by Louisiana2013 on April 30 2013 05:47:28 PM

"A disappointing experience. I ordered four books. Two came fine. The third came with the first 140 pages missing. The fourth never came at all. The order total was $51.02.

After e-mails I was credited $27.83. So I figured that I paid $23.69 for the two whole books, and one partial book, which I did receive. So I will end this and never knowingly do business with this place again.

I was irritated by the fact that they do not field telephone complaints, just e-mail.

But I really wish that they would just ship what a person pays for, and check the condition of the books.

modified review This review was modified by hipchecker20 on April 28 2013 08:54:00 AM

Thrift Books is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Thrift Books is not a merchant member
Thrift Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!