Stores > Thrift Books

Chance of future purchase: Rating 4.76/10 4.76/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.50/10 5.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 4.46/10 4.46/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
Voice your opinion! Review Thrift Books by clicking a star below.
2017-03-27

Never again

"I purchased a book on 3/22/17. I paid extra money for two day delivery. It's now 5 days later and I still have no book. I won't ever order again. Very misleading."

2017-03-14

They Need to Learn the Definition of a "Very Good Book"

"I paid over $160 for a collectible book listed in "very good" condition. Nowhere in the description did it mention the two huge tears in the dust jacket or the overall wear to the book. When I asked them to send me a return label they said I had to pay for the return and they would refund me minus the original shipping as well. Avoid these scammers, they are a horrible company. "

2017-03-08

Decent used books at great prices.

"I was skeptical at first due to all the bad reviews, but I have to say I am very pleased with this company so far. I have received all of the books with fairly decent shipping times, expecially considering shipping was free (with $10 purchase). All of the books I have received have been in the listed condition, with the exception of one. I will be purchasing more books. :)"

2017-03-01

I spoke too soon

"I had posted a very favorable review based on my first order. Unfortunately second order resulted in delivery of totally unrelated items with no customer service phone number. 50% doesn't do it for me. I contacted service through the web site and got an email that they will process a refund, and that there is no way to fulfill my original order. At least they didn't ask me to ship back the erroneously sent books. We will see if the refund happens. Great idea for a business. But, they clearly can't execute. I won't give it a third try."

2017-02-21

sent me the wrong book

"how hard is it to compare titles and ISBNs ?

Sent me the wrong book. Pain.

2017-02-11

My favorite place to buy books!

"I am shocked to see all of these negative reviews of ThriftBooks! I have used them for more than 2 years, and have been very pleased. I am avid reader, and I prefer actual books to reading digitally - but this can add up as books are not cheap. So, I purchase on ThriftBooks. I make sure to always buy at least $10 worth of books so that I get free shipping. I understand that I am purchasing used books - so stickers or library jackets do not bother me a bit. I usually purchase books that are in the $3.50-$5.00 range, and yes, that means I am unlikely to find a new release in that price range, but I put those books on my 'wish list' and wait till the prices go down. Usually the books arrive within a week, though there have been times that it took longer, but I understand that. Out of the MANY orders I have placed (probably 200 orders or more), I have only had 2 issues, and both times I emailed customer service and got a very quick reply. And both times they took care of me right away. I have nothing but good things to say about this company!"

2017-02-09

Great Experience

"This is my second time using thrift books, I am Very pleased with this company, my books arrived before the actual date they told me, My books were in good condition, they even had a sticker added to the package stating it was sensitive material and i even got free shipping over 10 dollars! they have a great rewards program also. I will be using thrift books for future purchases."

2017-01-28

Book condition is never what they say it is, always worse!

"The biggest problem with Thriftbooks (also known as Green Earth Books | Motor City Books | Atlanta Book Company | Blue Cloud Books | Yankee Clipper Books | Books Squared | Silver Arch Books | Free State Books | Sierra Nevada Books| Second City Books) is that they consistently misrepresent the condition of their books.

Out of a dozen or more books ordered from them in the past couple years, ZERO have been in the condition they are described as. I've had no problem getting refunded for them, but how can a company like this stay in business? I do try to generally avoid buying from them altogether, but it's hard to remember the multitude of business names that they sell under.

2017-01-17

Good and cheap

"I came decently fast exactly what I expected.. however these negative review thrown me off thinking it would be a poor website and they proved me right.. For about $11 I got 3 books all in good condition... I would probably buy hardcover only since they ship that books wrapped in paper but besides that it worked out great especially since I bought only hardcover.. these other reviews with low stars are bogus"

2017-01-16

Awful Shipping!

"My book order "shipped" 6 days ago and hasn't even arrived at the postal service yet. Thrift books uses a company called OSM to get it to the postal service. The book left Nevada today and was sent to Illinois, totally bypassing it's destination in Texas. Moronic shipping! Now it will have to come back the direction it left to get delivered. How Thrift books stays in business, how OSM shipping stays in business if beyond me! I will NEVER order from them again!"

2017-01-12

ghost books spooking me on the daily

"i live in canada, so i am not allowed free shipping. yet, i still ordered from this web site - without properly looking into it. reddit was way more useless than usual. anyway, it's been well over the absolute maximum time and guess what? no books! i will never take a chance on these people again. great for anyone who already has too many books and too much money. "

2016-12-17

High shipping charges, missing books.

"I ordered three small paperback books and was charged almost ten dollars for shipping. Got an email saying my package was on its way--no mention of any missing books. My package arrived with only one book and no explanation of where the other two were. No phone number for customer service. I'm extremely suspicious that this is a regular practice--"sell" customers several low priced books, charge abnormally high prices for shipping and then leave out a couple of the books. Even if a few customers call for refunds, not every customer will take the time to do so. If nothing changes, I will have paid almost twenty bucks for one tiny paperback children's book that was originally produced by PJ Library, a Jewish organization that gives their books away for free. Steer clear of this scam company. I'm filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau."

2016-12-12

Wtf

"This company has been in business for so many years, but they have no customer service number. That's a big red flag just flying in the air. I wish I had done more research, but another site had so many glowing reviews. "

2016-11-11

Exactly what I wanted

"This was my first time using thriftbooks. I ordered eight books, novels, all for around $20. Standard shipping takes 4-14 business days. Seven of the books arrived within 4 business days. The eighth arrived a day later. Having ordered mostly paperbacks, and all in "acceptable" condition, the books were in surprisingly good confldition. While these are definitely used books and showing a bit of wear and tear, I'd expected to have an order of just "readable" books. A few even looked almost new, though I wouldn't expect that to be the typical. I'd absolutely order from thriftbooks again."

2016-10-26

Trash

"I ordered the Ashely Book of Knots. It's a very large, thick book.

They shipped it in a bag. This exposed the pages to significant bumping and crushing during shipment, meaning that literally every single page has been damaged in shipping.

I'm manually straightening and flattening each and every page.

I will never order anything from these shysters again. If you don't respect your own product, you have a real ethical problem being in that industry.

Share Thrift Books's store rating

Thrift Books is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Thrift Books is not a merchant member
Thrift Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!