Write a review »
  • Rating 2.67/10 71 reviews

RockAuto.com is not a merchant member
    RockAuto.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • RockAuto.com contact information

• Address: 6680 Odana RoadMadison, WI
    • Contact: service@rockauto.com
    • Phone: 608-661-1376
    • Customer Support: 866-762-5288
    • Business Hours: 7am to 9pm Monday - Friday8am to 4pm Saturday & Sunday(Central Time)
    • Fax: 608-836-5694

All 4,380 Customer Reviews

"TERRIBLE!!
Didn't send all of the parts listed in their ad and refused to correct the problem.
Super high shipping charges make their overall prices higher than most.
Save yourself a problem and use another vendor.

"They should be called Crap.auto! Ordered a cabin air filter for my 2002 F-250. Manual says that they are to be replaced every 75K miles. Went to their parts application page. Two choices, one with a note for "aftermarket installed filtration systems" and one with no note. Common sense says pick the standard one as I know we did not have an aftermarket system installed. Filter comes and I go to install it. Owners guide has no info on where it is located so I go to the internet. Guess what, Ford never installed cabin air filters in the trucks. Only offered as an aftermarket dealer installed option on very few trucks. I call Rock.auto to suggest they remove the parts listed that do not have the note for aftermarket application. They tell me it is my responsibility to know the exact part number before placing an order and they are not responsible for what is on their site and it should not be used for researching what is required. WOW! What is the purpose of their drop down menus? I thought it was to find the appropriate part for your application! Silly me. After two calls to get them to improve their system and being told it was my fault I give up. Never again will I waste my time with this company. NAPA may cost more but at least they back their stuff. Glad I wasted $16 shipping a $24 filter from the east coast and back!!"

"If you are a "brand" shopper like I beware that you may not get what you think you ordered. I ordered a pair of Trico windshield wiper blades at a good price, $14, received them well packaged and pretty quickly. Opening the package I found a different brand, not Trico, my receipt said Trico. E-mailed customer service a few times, they responded every time telling something about private label brands and I should see their FAQS about Understanding Catalog Listings. All I know is my receipt said Trico. They said I could send them back, but I would have to pay shipping. They refused to make good on the order, implicating that I made the mistake. The purchase date below is a good approximation."

"I bought a set of diesel injectors. 4 of them were DOA right out of the box. how does that happen?! instead of them sending off 4 more at their expense, i had to buy another 4, install them and send back 12! then hope that they could understand they owed me 4 injectors and 12 cores. I installed those 4, and one of those were bad! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!? just wanted to send back all of them, since obviously they have a bad batch of injectors. they refused. why would you do that? it makes no sense. in the mean time after i replaced the defective 1 out of the second 4 i had to buy, 2 more additional injectors have gone bad, all in a 10 mile total drive. they refuse to just take back all of the injectors, we both lick our wounds and move on. im forced now to either live with the 6 injectors in the truck that will go out at any time, or buy another 8 and just get rid of these. we arent talking about 20 dollar injectors, we are talking about over 5000 dollars in parts and core charges.

owning my own business, i know when i put on a bad part that came out of the box, i am responsible to make sure that customer is happy. I also eat the labor, and most of the time my vendor will step up and take care of the product. if i have to put on 13 injectors to make 8 work, does that sound like there is any reliability or dependibility in them? no!

If you ever have the displeasure of dealing with them on the phone or thru emails, God help you. I spent well over 3 hours on the phone with them, and countless emails back and forth trying to get them to understand that they were selling an inferior product and for them to just refund my money on them.

what a shame, as i have had to pay my tech now 4 times to remove inferior injectors. that is lost profits, shop production and im am SO thankful this was on my own personal truck and not a customers.

could you imagine having your business vehicle down for over 2 weeks due to defective products? its a shame.

dont ever use them, if you want to have any hope at getting a refund or a smooth warranty. and remember they dont refund or reimburse for labor! not even at internal rate...... about 80 bucks cheaper than the normal shop rate.

so at the end of the day, i stand to loose a little over 1000 dollars due to rockauto's fantastic way they stand behind their product. way to go guys!

"Excellent customer service. I had to send a core Electronic Computer Module to them because they did not have any repaired and in stock. I searched for my needed part and no one had it but did quote the part between $250 - $475 if it were available. I was able to send my part to Rock Auto and have it repaired within two weeks for $153 including shipping. They were awesome and their customer service provided status very cheerfully. I would recommend to anyone."

Westford, Mass

"I have used rock auto parts on many cars over the years, toyota prius, ford mystique, honda accord. The last project was to rebuild the front end of a crash to the accord. Got radiator, AC compressor, condenser, dryer, bumper, left fender, hood and all arrived in timely fashion and fit well. We also got clutch master and slave cylinder, O2 sensor, catalytic converter to replace unrelated problems. All worked fine."

North Port, florida

"RockAuto.com rocks. I have never had a bad experience with them and have bought their products several times. Can't beat their prices and quality and customer service was excellent. Would highly recommend them. Some people say they got wrong parts, same thing can happen at a local store as well. This review was unsolicited."

"They consistently ship the wrong part and hide behind ambiguous language in order to avoid paying back shipping charges.
Their website purposely makes misleading statements to that aim.

It seems that they are physically located in Wisconsin but has distribution centers like the "no clue" having center located here in the Bronx.

I will trash this company to no end. But will happily print a retraction if they do the right thing and comply.

"Bad return policy, horible customer service.

My initial order was $238.06 total. I paid $18.48 in shipping
My replacement order was $246.73. I paid $51.24 in shipping
Returning the faulty parts for warranty. I paid $90.06 in shipping
RockAuto needs a better return policy, the shipping charges for worthless parts returns are stupid.

"Purchased a hard to find part, cheaper than anywhere else, arrived MUCH quicker that expected though paid for regular shipping. Will use again."

"ordered a part which was suppose to be new but was remanufactured I paid overnight shipping because i needed it asap but got stuck with a remanufactured part. Customer rep said I should know its a remanufactured part since they charge a core charge. Ridiculous."

OuTpaTienT's Avatar
Bay Area, CA USA

"I see all these negative reviews and am compelled to tell my story to help even it out.

I recently ordered a fuel pump for my 85 Mercedes 380SE at a cost of aprox. $100. ($150 elsewhere) Anyway, they sent out the part and the post office claims they delivered it. The USPS tracking site shows it as being delivered. But I did not get it. No idea what happened to it. Lost somewhere.

Figured I was out of luck. But after emailing RockAuto's customer service, they are going to reship me the fuel pump at no cost.

I didn't even have to raise a stink (which I was prepared to do). They offered to replace it before I even got upset. Great customer service this day.

"RockAuto sent me defective fuel injectors and the dealer charged me $600 to install them, figure out they were bad, and re-install my old injectors.
RockAuto said they will refund the price of the injectors, but too bad on the labor charge??
What a ripoff!!

"The few bucks you may save using this site is really not worth the aggravation should a package get lost. I ordered 19.00 break pads and paid 10.00 to ship them to me. Fedex claimed to deliver but "left them on the porch". I have always received all my items this way and never had a problem but this time, they were no where to be found. Spoke to Jenn at Rockauto who tells me that they will trace the package and get back to me....I tell her....I need the pads and she is like well there is nothing I can do......nothing you can do? How about simple customer service......"lets get you a fresh set of pads out right away and trace the others"....maybe we can expedite them to you while we wait on FEDEX....anything.. but she simply said "we will be in touch". I said, " I need brake pads and she says well order them!......Ask for her supervisor and she claims to be the supervisor....I ask who she reports to and she says "Jim Taylor; the owner" ..OK may I speak to him??? "oh, he is away on vacation and he wont speak to cusotmers anyway"....really not worth the headache. All she had to do was simple Customer Service......sympathy....and reorder. She was cold and uncaring.....I have purchased from them for several years but ...not anymore! Thanksm Mr. Taylor! "

modified review This review was modified by mraneri on December 12 2012 10:51:55 AM

"I've ordered quite a few things from Rock Auto over the last couple of years with generally good results. I just ran into an issue though with their "wholesaler closeout" and "private label" deals that cost me $30 and wanted to pass along a warning. I've bought several of these deals over the past few months, and every single time something was wrong. A distributor cap that also included the rotor (no mention of rotor on the site) which would have been a good thing, but I ordered another rotor since it was just a cap. Then a tie rod that was entirely the wrong thing (rock gave a 100% credit and said throw it away). Then another tie rod with rust on the end (I wire wheeled it down and it was OK). Well this time I orderd a brake fluid level sensor, wholesaler closeout 1 left, that turned out to be bad. Rusty, had fluid in it from a previous usage apparently, and it always signalled empty. Rock was willing to give me a full refund, but I had already thrown the box away. I could see this part was a defective return to a retail store, which then wound up back at the wholesaler, then I bought it.

So... if you are considering buy the "wholesaler closeout" or "private label" stuff on Rock Auto, expect some trouble. Front my experience what you get is likely to be wrong or in bad shape. And keep the box!! They won't return without it. Rock has been pretty good about returns in the past, so they may take some of this stuff back, but look at the time you will loose in all that shipping.

I should also give a warning from personal experience about thiings labeled "stocked in outlying warehouse". It appears that Rock doesn't have direct information or control over the inventory from those suppliers. I waited 10 days for a new starter motor, only to learn on the 10th day that is was not available (AC Delco). I would suggest not ordering the "outlying" parts unless you have a lot of time flexibility with your repair.

My advice is only buy the new stuff from Rock Auto. Skip the wholesaler closeout and private label! On their new stuff I have had good luck. Good products at good prices and fast shipping. I would highly recommend Rock for the 100% new items.