• Address: 6680 Odana RoadMadison, WI
    • Contact: service@rockauto.com
    • Phone: 608-661-1376
    • Customer Support: 866-762-5288
    • Business Hours: 7am to 9pm Monday - Friday8am to 4pm Saturday & Sunday(Central Time)
    • Fax: 608-836-5694

Product & services pricing Rating 5.91/10 5.91/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 3.18/10 3.18/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 4.20/10 4.20/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.22/10 2.22/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10

"Excellent customer service. I had to send a core Electronic Computer Module to them because they did not have any repaired and in stock. I searched for my needed part and no one had it but did quote the part between $250 - $475 if it were available. I was able to send my part to Rock Auto and have it repaired within two weeks for $153 including shipping. They were awesome and their customer service provided status very cheerfully. I would recommend to anyone."

Westford, Mass

"I have used rock auto parts on many cars over the years, toyota prius, ford mystique, honda accord. The last project was to rebuild the front end of a crash to the accord. Got radiator, AC compressor, condenser, dryer, bumper, left fender, hood and all arrived in timely fashion and fit well. We also got clutch master and slave cylinder, O2 sensor, catalytic converter to replace unrelated problems. All worked fine."

North Port, florida

"RockAuto.com rocks. I have never had a bad experience with them and have bought their products several times. Can't beat their prices and quality and customer service was excellent. Would highly recommend them. Some people say they got wrong parts, same thing can happen at a local store as well. This review was unsolicited."

"I have bought from RockAuto.com several times and will buy from them again. Great prices on auto parts! They have things you can't find elsewhere! Fast shipping to your door! Thanks"

"They consistently ship the wrong part and hide behind ambiguous language in order to avoid paying back shipping charges.
Their website purposely makes misleading statements to that aim.

It seems that they are physically located in Wisconsin but has distribution centers like the "no clue" having center located here in the Bronx.

I will trash this company to no end. But will happily print a retraction if they do the right thing and comply.

"Bad return policy, horible customer service.

My initial order was $238.06 total. I paid $18.48 in shipping
My replacement order was $246.73. I paid $51.24 in shipping
Returning the faulty parts for warranty. I paid $90.06 in shipping
RockAuto needs a better return policy, the shipping charges for worthless parts returns are stupid.

"Purchased a hard to find part, cheaper than anywhere else, arrived MUCH quicker that expected though paid for regular shipping. Will use again."

"ordered a part which was suppose to be new but was remanufactured I paid overnight shipping because i needed it asap but got stuck with a remanufactured part. Customer rep said I should know its a remanufactured part since they charge a core charge. Ridiculous."

OuTpaTienT's Avatar
Bay Area, CA USA

"I see all these negative reviews and am compelled to tell my story to help even it out.

I recently ordered a fuel pump for my 85 Mercedes 380SE at a cost of aprox. $100. ($150 elsewhere) Anyway, they sent out the part and the post office claims they delivered it. The USPS tracking site shows it as being delivered. But I did not get it. No idea what happened to it. Lost somewhere.

Figured I was out of luck. But after emailing RockAuto's customer service, they are going to reship me the fuel pump at no cost.

I didn't even have to raise a stink (which I was prepared to do). They offered to replace it before I even got upset. Great customer service this day.

"RockAuto sent me defective fuel injectors and the dealer charged me $600 to install them, figure out they were bad, and re-install my old injectors.
RockAuto said they will refund the price of the injectors, but too bad on the labor charge??
What a ripoff!!

"The few bucks you may save using this site is really not worth the aggravation should a package get lost. I ordered 19.00 break pads and paid 10.00 to ship them to me. Fedex claimed to deliver but "left them on the porch". I have always received all my items this way and never had a problem but this time, they were no where to be found. Spoke to Jenn at Rockauto who tells me that they will trace the package and get back to me....I tell her....I need the pads and she is like well there is nothing I can do......nothing you can do? How about simple customer service......"lets get you a fresh set of pads out right away and trace the others"....maybe we can expedite them to you while we wait on FEDEX....anything.. but she simply said "we will be in touch". I said, " I need brake pads and she says well order them!......Ask for her supervisor and she claims to be the supervisor....I ask who she reports to and she says "Jim Taylor; the owner" ..OK may I speak to him??? "oh, he is away on vacation and he wont speak to cusotmers anyway"....really not worth the headache. All she had to do was simple Customer Service......sympathy....and reorder. She was cold and uncaring.....I have purchased from them for several years but ...not anymore! Thanksm Mr. Taylor! "

modified review This review was modified by mraneri on December 12 2012 10:51:55 AM

"I've ordered quite a few things from Rock Auto over the last couple of years with generally good results. I just ran into an issue though with their "wholesaler closeout" and "private label" deals that cost me $30 and wanted to pass along a warning. I've bought several of these deals over the past few months, and every single time something was wrong. A distributor cap that also included the rotor (no mention of rotor on the site) which would have been a good thing, but I ordered another rotor since it was just a cap. Then a tie rod that was entirely the wrong thing (rock gave a 100% credit and said throw it away). Then another tie rod with rust on the end (I wire wheeled it down and it was OK). Well this time I orderd a brake fluid level sensor, wholesaler closeout 1 left, that turned out to be bad. Rusty, had fluid in it from a previous usage apparently, and it always signalled empty. Rock was willing to give me a full refund, but I had already thrown the box away. I could see this part was a defective return to a retail store, which then wound up back at the wholesaler, then I bought it.

So... if you are considering buy the "wholesaler closeout" or "private label" stuff on Rock Auto, expect some trouble. Front my experience what you get is likely to be wrong or in bad shape. And keep the box!! They won't return without it. Rock has been pretty good about returns in the past, so they may take some of this stuff back, but look at the time you will loose in all that shipping.

I should also give a warning from personal experience about thiings labeled "stocked in outlying warehouse". It appears that Rock doesn't have direct information or control over the inventory from those suppliers. I waited 10 days for a new starter motor, only to learn on the 10th day that is was not available (AC Delco). I would suggest not ordering the "outlying" parts unless you have a lot of time flexibility with your repair.

My advice is only buy the new stuff from Rock Auto. Skip the wholesaler closeout and private label! On their new stuff I have had good luck. Good products at good prices and fast shipping. I would highly recommend Rock for the 100% new items.

"Horrible Customer service. Ripped me off for over 560$... BEWARE ROCK AUTO"

" I have used them once and had no problems but i found out Stockwiseauto has the same parts and are cheaper and have very good customer service and they also give 5% off, coupon code:savewise2012

So skip Rock Auto and just use Stockwiseauto and they have 99% good reviews.

"If you wish to make business with this company, please have a look on my story. I own a Lincoln MKS 2009 and I wanted to replace the brake pads (front and rear) as part of a regular maintenance. The prices posted seem to be right (they charge an arm and a leg for shipping though) and I used their Catalog to get the right part number. My car doesn't list a sub model for that year and for this reason, everything seemed to be pretty straightforward. I placed the order and after more than a week, I've got the parts. Of course, I went with them to a garage, and eventually, after a moment of waiting, a technician came back and he told me that the brake pads I bought won't fit my car. I was kind of intrigued (it wasn't a first time when I used this company and generally, it was OK). Long story short, I checked again the part numbers POSTED and after comparing them with some other manufacturers, I realised that they are meant to be installed in different cars not 2009 Lincoln MKS. Now the fun part is, Erica (RockAuto's rep) won't issue a credit for the shipping fees (even if their policy clearly states that if it is their mistake, which is obvious being their Catalog, they will refund the shipping fees too) claiming that 1) I should have had to dismantle the brakes in order to measure them (I'm pretty confident that no one does this) or 2) I should have gone to the dealer (time and money lost as well) to get the dimensions in order to compare with those offered by RockAuto's online Catalog. Now, I never heard in my life that someone will dismantle his car in order to make sure that the dimensions for a replacement are fine (unless is an easy five minutes job which is not the case here). Eventually, Erica tried to deal with me, offering half of the shipping costs, which I refused and I asked to speak with a supervisor. She said that she doesn't have a supervisor, she being one (!). So finally, we didn't reach any amiable resolution and I had to bear with the extra loss (not taking in consideration the return shipping fees which by the way, were way smaller - $23 vs. $34 which RockAuto charged).

HOPEFULLY, YOU WILL TRY SOME OTHER OPTIONS IF YOU WILL INTEND TO USE ROCKAUTO.COM SINCE THERE ARE SOME OTHER GREAT DEALS TOO BUT EVENTUALLY, THEY COME WITH REAL CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WAY MORE AFFORDABLE SHIPPING FEES.

I could see a lot of happy campers out there but I'm pretty positive that they never dealt with RockAuto's Customer Service Department. Try to read those bad reviews though (plenty of them), which I did just after I got into problems (unfortunately not BEFORE)

modified review This review was modified by kostiko on November 23 2012 10:27:21 AM

RockAuto.com is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

RockAuto.com is not a merchant member
RockAuto.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!