Product & services pricing Rating 3.50/10 3.50/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 0.50/10 0.50/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 3.50/10 3.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.00/10 1.00/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.88/10 1.88/10

"If you are familiar with the term "bait and switch" or would like a perfect example or education of it then buy a coupon from restaurant.com. I did!
Not at all as described-not even close.When I called for a refund within 10min after they charged( I paid through paypal) and was instantly offered a $100.00 coupon,it was like the rep had a script! I refused it by stating the last thing I wanted to do was continue doing business with a company whose first transaction was fraudulent!
Currently involved in a PayPal dispute after Restaurant.com responded with they do not refund fees!!
Paypal has already decided I was delt with fraudulently,however my money has yet to be refunded.
STAY AWAY!!

"I tried to use their certificate purchased for Liberty Bistro in New Braunfels, Texas and was told they would not honor because of problems ? I did not know that even reading the find print, that a participating restaurants could so easily just opt out. I purchased several to many places, so to try local establishments, before exiting after viewing menu pricing. Do not waste your time and money purchasing, unless you contact participating restaurant first and use them immediately !"

zeta's Avatar
Arizona, US

"I have used around 5 of the restaurant certificates and I have yet to have an issue with one of them. Some of them have bad requirements, but some are OK. If you can deal with them it's fine, otherwise don't buy one."

"I’m sitting here trying not to lose my patience, but I can not in good conscience sit idlily by. On June 4th, I purchased 10 $25.00 restaurant.com gift cards to hand out to teachers in my children’s school. At that time, it stated on the website that if you purchased $40 or more, there would be no shipping cost and I should expect to receive my gift cards within 2 – 3 business days. On June 7th I called customer service because I had not yet received my cards. The rep told it normally takes 3 -5 business days to receive. The rep couldn't tell me what the tracking number was or whether the cards were even shipped but I said okay. On June 12th I called customer service again because I still had not received the cards. The customer service rep that I spoke to now said that it takes 3 - 7 business days to receive gifts cards (see a pattern here?). I asked if I could cancel the transaction and I was told no. I had to wait until I received the cards and return them before she could cancel the transaction (what!?!?!?). I called again on June 13th (7 business day later) and the customer service rep that I spoke to this time said that I should have received my gift cards. She said Restaurant.com was not responsible for stolen or lost cards and that I should have followed up with UPS. WHAT!?!?! Stolen/lost, the cards were probably never shipped. She couldn't provide the UPS tracking number or the date they were sent out. I'll never use this website again or recommend it to anyone. It's also interesting that on there website they have a place to put testimonials, but there isn't a place for a client to criticize them. TERRIBLE COMPANY. "

"Scam. Today I used Restaurant.com for the first time, and booked one discount coupon without a problem.
Satisfied, I went to purchase a discount coupon for a neighborhood restaurant. The caveat under the purchase button said that in using the coupon one agrees to spend at least $35. I saw no problem in this, gave them my credit card info, and when I went to print the coupon noted that it said in using the coupon I agree to spend at least $100 in the restaurant. Angry, I called back and the snotty clerk said that I was given ample warning about the terms before the purchase. I went back to website and saw no mention - anywhere - of a $100 minimum.

Sleazy.

"Restaurant.com also partners with fund raising companies (i.e. that sell cookies and cookie dough through schools). When you go to redeem your "cookie" voucher, you see an option to redeem your contribution for significantly more in restaurant.com "Gift Certificates". They display a $50 gift card during the transaction, implying that you can actually use that much towards a meal. Don't be fooled.

When you go through the two-step process of redeeming your cookie voucher for a Restaurant.com voucher, and then "purchasing" the restaurant.com "gift certificates" in increments of $10, you discover that there are all sorts of restrictions on their use, such as:

- Minimum purchase (usually at least double the gift certificate, sometimes triple or quadruple)
- Mandatory 18% gratuity tacked on before discount
- ONLY ONE $10 GIFT CERTIFICATE CAN BE USED PER VISIT

As noted in other reviews, the restaurants that participate are
typically not known for quality food or location.

The better restaurants quickly realize how bad this deal is for them and cancel their contract, only to have customers come in years later and expect the "Non-Expiring" "Gift Certificates" to be honored.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS COMPANY OR ITS PROMOTIONS

"Restaurant.com cares only about themselves, and looks to profit at the restaurants expense. Unlike all other voucher sellers RDC does not split the sales of the vouchers with the merchants. Instead they make the patrons provide the benefit to the merchants by requiring spending above the vouchers value and requiring that 18% gratuity be added to the bills prior to the discount being applied. Their agreement lasts for one year and is automatically renewed each year and the merchants must give 90 days notice to cancel!!!!! In the very near future RDC will be responsible for the closing of many small restaurants just like Groupon, yet unlike Groupons slow downward spiral, RDC has chosen to get on the autobonn and make for a very fast downward spiral. A warning to all restaurant owners DO NOT SIGN UP WITH restaurant.com they will do everything in their greedy power to reap the most benefit from you without providing any benefit to you (the definition of a parasite)!!!!! FRDC!!!"

"I don't write reviews, but I felt this time I should. I've never ordered from restaurant.com before and was thrilled when Eversave.com offered a combination of a $50 restaurant.com gift card and 2 movie tickets all for $22. Great deal. But, my huge disappointment is with the selection of restaurants that participate on restaurant.com. I barely recognize any of the places listed and some of the locations are not in the best part of town. I went through the 51 pages and read every single restaurant and only found 4 I would choose to walk into, there's not even a generic Chili's or McDonald's listed. I've lived in Columbus, OH for 15 years, I'm well aware of places to eat in town. Very, very disappointed and would recommend you not bother buying. I'm embarrassed that I fell for this scam. Research before you buy!"

"I ordered 5 gift "cards" with a guarantee free 3 day delivery if my purchase was $40 or greater. My plan was to give them out as Christmas gifts. I did not receive anything in the mail, so I contacted customer service at restaurant.com (4 times via e-mail) and I have not received any satisfaction. I received generic emails, not addressing my specific concern. The company is trying to pawn off certificates as opposed to my original “card purchase. I requested a refund and was told that restaurant.com has a no refund policy. Okay fine, how about providing me with what I purchased. Why would there be a free 3 day delivery on “E” (electronic) gift cards? If I were purchasing E-gift cards, I could send them electronically. Hmm… Still no resolution."

"I have purchased several gift certificates on restaurant.com and given many as gifts. I have not heard any complaints from anyone I've given the gift to. If you understand the terms of the certificate before paying there shouldn't be issues. And be sure to point out the terms if you give a certificate as a gift to someone.

I looked through some of the negative reviews on here and many seem to be by the restaurants themselves rather than consumers. Those reviews shouldn't be on here. Imagine if wholesalers started posting bad reviews about a retail store. Those reviews wouldn't be of much value to the consumer because the interaction is different between the parties. They would only hide helpful reviews written by people rather than businesses.

"Wow....I had no idea...WHy would they, make restaurants sign a contract, in which the restaurant receives no money!

Merchants hang in there we have developed a solution for restaurants, that work...Unlike sites like these sites, and deal of the day sites. I have worked in restaurants for over 20 years and also in web marketing for over 10 years (separate business)...It about time someone comes with a solution that benefits the restaurant, not the INTERNET companies that are making millions..

Contact me and I will put you on the waiting list. Contact jason@netstudiosinc.com

"I own a restaurant that was part of the restaurant.com program in 2009. We cancelled after 1 year and were asked to honor the coupons for another year after that. We did.

When you sign the restaurant.com contract it says credits are valid for 1 year after sale, but they write “does not expire” on the coupon they sell their customers. It is very dishonest.

Now we are having people present coupons that are over 2 1/2 years old and complain that we will not take them any more. That is unreasonable, especially since restaurants.com does not give a penny of the amount of sale to the restaurant. They keep it for themselves and the restaurant is responsible for the $25 bill reduction. It is not a good set up and it puts the customer and the restaurant in a bad position while restaurant.com keeps the money. In addition, once the contract is cancelled restaurants.com immediately shuts down access to the certificate validation website so there is no way to validate the certificates without calling an 800 number. Servers don’t have time during a service to call in a validation for each coupon presented. Can you imagine?

Our small restaurant does not have the resources to enter a legal battle with Restaurants.com, but we can spread the word to warn customers and restaurants about how restaurants.com operates.

"HORRIBLE. They scammed us into signing a document that apparently gives gift certificates to customers. They sell $40 for a $100 value. We will not participate in this and we will take their sales associate to court. Customers: DO NOT BUY! They are scam artists and have restaurants give certificates they never authorized."

"i concur with ramsk. on 7/7/11 i paid restaurant.com (hereinafter r.com)$3 for a 25 certificate requiring a minimum 35 meal. it was for a vegetarian restaurant 'roots' in s.f.
on 7/11 at 7:15p (r.com was closed for the day) i called roots and they said they do not accept ANY certificates. as a result of the sandbag (we were on vacation and only there for effectively that nite), me and my companion had to find a vegetarian restaurant at the last minute, 'millenium' on geary/jones. i paid $61 at this place, including tip and 15 more for cab fare roundtrip as unlike the r.com place, this one was not close to our hotel. when i got back to l.a. i called r.com (7/15). the girl ('megan')said "r.com has no responsibility; but i could have called them (actually they were already closed for the day)for a substitution." she also said "the restaurants have all the responsibility (and r.com has none)." then she said "the restuarants have the choice" (totally inconsistent)." then she said "roots didnt take the certificate because they have a maximum per day." how she could know the reason, not having been on the phone with roots is telling; i WAS on the phone and roots (meredith) told me differently: roots was not accepting ANY certificates under any circumstances.
Compare r.com's 'innocent bystander' approach with what their website says "we back up what we say" you have an unconditional guarantee" "if you have a problem call us and we will take care of it immediately." BEWARE-THIS COMPANY IS OPPORTUNISTIC, EXPLOITIVE, HYPOCRITICAL AND UNETHICAL

"BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY! READ ON!

I bought a $100 certificate on Ebay for only $6 and I thought I got a really great deal.
I printed a $25 certificate for this local sushi restaurant that require a $35 minimum of purchase. I was thinking I will be paying only $10 dollars out of pocket for that amount of food. Sounds good right?? WRONG.
The restaurant charged me a PREMIUM price for EVERYTHING I ordered and added a 18% fee on top of that. I ordered $36 worth of food. After the PREMIUM mark-up and 18% fee. It went up to a whopping $64.
SIXTY FOUR DOLLARS!!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?????? SIXTY FOUR DOLLARS!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the restaurant deduct the $25 certificate to make it $39. YEP!!! $39 for $36 worth of food, after the restaurant certificate. THIS IS A BIG SCAM!

One more thing, I'm not done yet.
On their regular restaurant.com, you can buy a $25 certificate for $15 so on and so forth. However, when I got my code to redeem from the Ebay purchase, it leads to the "secondary" website owned my restaurant.com that requires me to pay the $25 certificate for $25. SKETCHY RIGHT? Read that over again and let it sink in.

So buy the certificates from Restaurant.com if you feel like doing the following:
- Getting ripped off.
- Getting charged at a premium price
- Auto 18% tip. And the certificates also tells you to TIP at the restaurants.
- Pay $xx for the certificates and pay at the regular $ at the restaurant.

ALL OF YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Restaurant.com is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Restaurant.com is not a merchant member
Restaurant.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!