• Rakuten

Chance of future purchase: Rating 0.71/10 0.71/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.38/10 1.38/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.50/10 0.50/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.83/10 0.83/10

"I ordered a printer from Rakuten a couple months ago, as part of their Brother promotion. They had a better price than even Newegg.

Shortly after I placed the order though, I learned of the Rakuten hackings... tons of people reported their card being used fraudulently directly after going with Rakuten. It's not everybody though, so I'm guessing it's an internal issue or the people responsible are picking sporadically. The circumstances are strange.

I decided to take a chance and let it go through anyways. No hackings, no problems. I would shop at Rakuten again, but with the press they've got, it feels toxic.

Then came today... the card was blocked for fraudulent purchases! Somebody was trying to buy thousands of dollars of Apple crap in Florida, as well as go to a Walgreens. It's strange that this happened a couple months after, so it could have been something else, but I really think it's Rakuten. This card has never had issues.

Shop at Rakuten at your own risk, and make sure you use a credit card, not a debit or prepaid one that could be siphoned out easier. And BTW, I did buy directly from Rakuten, not a reseller or such.

"Terrible customer service! Ordered a computer monitor. About a week later I got an email saying it was backordered and they were working on getting new stock. So I waited. Two weeks pass and nothing. I contact them. Out of stock still and working on it. But the whole time the item is showing as in stock on the website, but at a 200 dollar higher price. After another week or so, I log into my account and see the order was now cancelled without even notifying me. I complain and mention its being shown as in stock on the website the entire time. The idiotic Rakuten reply said the website doesn't always reflect the actual in stock status and recommended I just order it again once I see it listed as in stock. Unbelievable. Seems to be a company that just doesn't care. Avoid!"

"Ordered a simple "in stock" power cord, they sat on the order for 4 days before shipping it. "

"I order a name brand product but received a cheap generic. Rakuten takes your money but doesn't help you if you have a problem or need to get a return. They tell you to contact the seller.

Amazon is much better.

This review was modified by hguardad on November 01 2014 07:42:59 AM

"They've advertised a "Brand New" B235-M Plantronics Bluetooth and delivered just the Bluetooth in a TMobile box and a cell phone case!?!? No USB nor charging case and the two Bluetooth headsets I bought could not even be paired with an iPhone.
After more than 10 days complaining, they said they are a "mall" and cannot solve problems with the stores that advertised in it.
The "store", eShop, or YouShop LLC, refused to deliver advertised products and asked me to return both for a full refund instead.
Worse than that, they keep sending emails asking me to change my feedback in order to win a US$10 cash back. Do they really think they can pay me to tell lies to other consumers???
"Carla, if you could change the feedback to a positive 5 point and provide a paypal email, we will send you a $10. Could you let me know?"

This review was modified by CarlaMonte on October 24 2014 04:45:29 PM

"They took payment for goods. Goods never arrived. Told to contact the company that they used to fulfil the order. They said to contact Royal Mail. My contract was made with Rauten! Tis the seller's responsibility when goods don't arrive. Going round and round in circles...very frustrating...never again!!!"

This review was modified by MiroUK on October 20 2014 11:06:37 AM

"Bad customer service. They take your money and if there is a problem with the order they tell you to contact the store they got your merchandise from, its not their problem"

"My business with Rakuten was through their eBay store, operating under Buy.com, and it was the worst experience I've ever had with any online seller. I, too, wish I'd have seen these ratings before placing my order. It's like their goal is to drive customers away! I opened an account on ResellerRatings only to report my experience.

The item, a computer monitor, was not as described. It was sold with a resolution of 1920x1080 but the actual resolution was a paltry 1600x900. I contacted them through eBay and requested a refund, which automatically opened an eBay case. After five days they offered an unacceptable $15 partial refund for an item I could not use. At this point I noticed they updated their eBay listing for accuracy. I requested either a full refund, including return shipping since the mistake was theirs, or a higher partial refund. 11 days later, after no response, I sent another message requesting an RMA and a pre-paid return shipping label as per their return policy. After eight more days with no contact (for a total of 2.5 weeks with no contact from them) I was forced to escalate the case through eBay. In order to obtain a full refund through eBay I was required to ship the item back to the seller which cost me $17. Nothing like flushing a shining new Andrew Jackson down the commode...

This review was modified by Gorkster on October 16 2014 05:08:25 PM

"My order got canceled. That was fine but what made me so annoying was the process to get refund....It took a month and I still haven't got it. Contact 5 times with Rakuten costumer service, 1st they said to wait, 2nd they transferred me to seller, 3th they said it was the financial institution problems.......still haven't got the money back...."

This review was modified by tt100871 on October 15 2014 01:53:24 PM

"Wish I would have found these reviews before I ordered. My order has been shipped on 9/12, still have not received it as of 9/30. Multiple emails to seller-no response. Multiple emails to Rakuten-no response. I have been charged-no product and no one to try and help me. Tracking I was given is no longer updating as of 9/18. They handed it off to USPS as far as I can tell but even they haven't updated in over a week. Highly dissatisfied is an understatement! Will find every site I can leave feedback on to make sure they don't cheat someone else!!"

This review was modified by JWE42 on September 30 2014 09:20:50 AM

"Horrible business! we are(were) sellers on Rakuten, sold over $4000 in goods, Rakuten collected the funds we delivered the goods, Rakuten kept the money! msent 100+ emails to their seller support group, not one single reply..nothing! great business for them! had to file a complaint with the Attorney Generals office of California.....Avoid Rakuten at all costs!! these people are theives! "

This review was modified by geno123 on September 22 2014 10:50:16 AM

"This company does business by cheating. They lure you to purchase something with Super Points, and after a few days, they took away more than half of your earned points with no reason. Contacted customer service, and they will told you by their policy even it cleared showed you earned 9000 points after you placed the order, and they said the decision is final. Don't do business with this fraud company, or you find out the deal with the so-called super points is not deal at all, and you have no way to return by then since it passes the return time frame."

"By far the worst online. No CS, no response. Over a month since I ordered and it's still processing. Seller and Rakuten do not respond to emails. I've filed with BBB. Doubt that will help."

"Worst experience trying to shop for something online ever. Ordered a camera for my girlfriend for her birthday over 2 weeks early. When I called THEM because the product did not ship in the 6 days they promised, they assured me it would be there in 2 days. I spoke with a lady from their customer service department who, while nice, was not able to help at ALL. I finally received an e-mail today stating that the order was cancelled. Seriously. Absolutely worthless."

This review was modified by nate2066 on September 12 2014 09:20:15 PM

Rakuten User

"If you have a problem with your Rakuten order…beware. Their customer service is non-existent. An item was missing from my order so I tried to contact Rakuten via their ‘contact us’ e-mail and repeatedly received automated e-mail messages stating that I would be contacted within 24 hours but never was contacted. Thankfully, I paid with PayPal who facilitated a response. Worst shopping experience EVER!"

Share Rakuten's store rating

Rakuten is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Rakuten is not a merchant member
Rakuten does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!