Product & services pricing Rating 3.70/10 3.70/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 0.37/10 0.37/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 0.67/10 0.67/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.53/10 0.53/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.26/10 0.26/10

"They do not ship to Hawaii! It should say so when filling in zip code."

" I have been financially devastated by a scam through Rakuten. I am a small business owner and full time stay at home mom of two young toddlers. My husband is a professional musician and drum instructor. He is very talented at photography and I wanted to buy him a nice Canon camera so he could make additional income for our family since his drum teaching business had slowed down quite a bit. I found an incredible deal on Rakuten and was a bit skeptical of the seller because when I went to check out and there was a $299 shipping charge. So I sent an email to the “real customer service” Rakuten and they replied back the following to ease my concern about the seller (see quote below at end of this email) in essence saying that he was a verified seller and encouraged I reach out to them directly. Anyways, from their this “verified” and highly rated seller told me that the order had been processed through Rakuten and to check my spam mail for order details and directions. Anyways, it was a fake Rakuten document with order support link that went directly to the thieves...so the rest of my correspondence was through them thinking I was talking to customer support at Rakuten (the order had links that clicked to customer support at Rakuten). Anyways, after much hesitation and many emails being confused on why I could not process through a credit card they said it was a safe transaction and that this particular seller only accepted Wire Transfers. So I told the fake customer support at Rakuten I was confused because the on Rakuten’s real website I saw credit cards were accepted. After researching and realizing that Rakuten also did take Wire transfers as a form of payment I thought ok this is just a weird way of purchasing. The fake Rakuten CS said they were a verified seller and had been with Rauketen for 7 years and I did notice on the real Rakuten Website they were highly rated with good reviews. Furthermore the theives told me that the Wire Transfer would be held with a Rakuten Agent until I received the camera. I know I feel like a fool now but I did research Rakuten and saw this was a really big company like Ebay and again over and over again Rakuten encouraged me to work with the seller directly.

So now I am out of all of our money to pay my families bills is gone. I contacted Tasha at the fraud department and I told her I did a wire transfer...and then she immediately said where to Italy? I said yes, and she said I don’t know how they keep getting on their site. So this seems to happen all the time. Anyways, I was mad...she said I had no recourse and that Rakuten could not give me my money back since the order was not put through the company. Don’t you think think that Rakuten has some responsibility in the fact that their so called verified sellers are completely fake fraudulent accounts? From here I went back on the site to see what was going on and did some research...and now I see the same scam is back up on a different name (I have proof of this because I took pictures of the site and also set ups a sting operation to see if it was the same sellers and indeed it was) So I sent Tasha an email notifying her that they have done nothing to stop the fraud at Rakuten. Within five minutes the Director of Operations, Nick Thompson, calls me….which is funny that for over 24 hours I was waiting for a manager to contact me back. Now I had Nick Thompson calling me asking for the new name of the account. I said I will help you out if you can go back to your guarantee that I will get my money back from your company since I never received my product. He said, well, I can’t guarantee that but if you tell me the whole story then maybe I can help you. I said you know the whole story and he then stated he needed the new name of the seller scamming now so he could get the full story to tell to the CEO. Don’t trust him at all and was a total jerk to me on the phone. Well, it’s funny of the thousands of sellers on there I found them pretty easily...I should be working for the fraud department at Rakuten so maybe someone could pay me some salary from Rakuten and I can tell you exactly what these scam artists are doing. Anyways, I was pissed off...I mean seriously you are going to let the scam artists sell more fraud to the public out there to save you $1400. I told him it’s a million dollar company and you are not going to help a victim out and the general public out. He said big or small companies have to watch their numbers no matter how much money they make. I guess he is willing to let the scam artist stay on the site so he can save money for the company. Furthermore, I asked the Director of Operations, what the process is for seller verification and he said he wasn’t exactly sure and that he’d have to research it. Anyways, this company has a huge PR problem. I am going to tell my story to whoever will listen including the Attorney General , the higher ups of Rakuten, and the media. The customer service so far has taken no responsibility for this breach of security and the site is now completely run by thieves. I hope you are able to notify the CEO and top management of what is going on Rakuten site. Thank you for your time and sorry for any anger that might come across this email it is not directed at you.

Also, it seems that no one at Customer Service is aware of these scams , as Wella, a CS person I spoke to several times over the phone told me there was still a chance I might get the camera even though I Wire Transferred a person in Italy. Why isn’t there training and an alert going out to all personnel at Rakuten warning of Wire Transfers. The website also has no warnings of Wire Transfer payments like Craigslist does...it just says they accept Wire Transfers as a form of payment.

Thanks for your time,
Jeanette “Jenny” Wilson
I am sorry for the confusion about getting the order placed for SKU 245330120.

In an effort to provide our customers the broadest selection of products, Rakuten offers listings from independent sellers in our marketplace. When you place a Rakuten Marketplace order, you make a purchase directly from the seller throughRakuten's checkout process. Rakuten charges your method of payment and coordinates the shipment with the seller, who ships the order directly to you.

Your security is our priority, so Rakuten does not share your payment information with a seller. We also take pride in carefully protecting our customers with our Marketplace Guarantee should any issue arise in the process of receiving your order.

We encourage you to reach out to the sellers to confirm any information regarding the item or the independent seller's policies. You may contact Ballhogjoni Enterprises via email at:

BLH.Enterprises@aol.com

You may contact them directly about the shipping fee of the item they have listed in our website as at is currently offered at higher price than the $11 shipping charge mentioned in their email.

Rakuten holds its marketplace sellers to high standards of quality, so you can expect a response back from the seller by the close of the next business day.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.

Sincerely,

Wella | Customer Support
Rakuten.com Shopping

"Ordered a Dell 2007FP monitor, was informed that the item shipped after the transaction was processed through PayPal, and then, two weeks later, after the monitor had not arrived, I checked the shipping status only to find that the item has not shipped. When questioned about the issue, Rakuten told me to contact the seller! They processed the PayPal payment, but they claim not to be the seller. Absurd!!"

modified review This review was modified by gmvgmvgmv on March 09 2014 05:21:04 PM

"I will never buy from Rakuten again. I responded to an unsolicited ad from them for a laptop. After waiting 4 days without any update on my order (status showed 'processing'), I finally contacted them via email (the only way) and got an automated response. Then a day later, I got an email from them saying they cancelled the order blaming paypal not approving my payment. I called Paypal and Paypal told me they approved it and the money already went to Rakuten. With me on the phone, Paypal called Rakuten and was bounced around Rakuten for 45 minutes with lots of holding/no response or busy signal. Finally Paypal insisted on talking to the supervisor who after a long delay said the order was refused by Rakuten verification department because my ship-to address is different fromn the bill-to address. Now I own 2 homes and I happen to be at the other home address which has been in Paypal record for years ( I have bought many items shipped to this address and paid via paypal without any problem). Rakuten has the worst customer service and their attitude is that the customer needs them, they don't need the customer. I ordered the same item via Amzon.com for the same price and no shipping charge. Please be careful when dealing with Rakuten or just simply avoid them"

"I was search for a price on a great cordless drill recommended by Consumers Reports and Google showed the lowest price from this company. I think they used to be Buy.com but have ben taken over. Well anyways, I bought the drill because their price was the lowest from a reputable seller on the web. Turns out my wife got me the same model for Christmas before mine arrived... well I contacted Rakuten to return it and they were friendly and fast with the refund. They do have great service.
L.

"Terrible online experience. Stay away from Rakuten.com "

modified review This review was modified by Mishania1 on January 28 2014 10:41:57 AM

"Worst ever online seller. I bought an iPad, it is not like described, many dents on back and sides. Will not buy anything from Rakuten and Chubbiestech (real seller)."

modified review This review was modified by Jonans on January 22 2014 07:05:49 PM

"***** DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY********* THEY ARE THIEVES... THEY ASK FOR CREDIT CARDS AND ALL INFORMATION TO SWAG....... VERY BAD AND HIGH RISK...................... EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.............. BEWARE OF SWINDLERS OUT THERE ............"

modified review This review was modified by MASKINGTAPE on January 02 2014 11:17:11 AM

"Do Not Buy from this company. I ordered three specialized rulers and only one shipped. The other two were "cancelled" by Rakuten and no email was sent. They have the worst customer service, with waits up to three hours and they use foreign call centers that are unable to do anything, but apologize and offer a $10.00 credit.
Unless you don't mind the uncertainty of your purchase ever arriving, then waste your time and money with these bastards.

modified review This review was modified by DesignerWindowFashions on December 12 2013 11:34:49 AM

"I purchased a TV season on blu-ray about a month ago. The order was taking a long time to ship, but I am a patient person so I decided to wait it out.

My order finally shipped almost 2 weeks later, but it was shipped all the way to the wrong side of the country. My current address is the only address on file in my account, and it is simply not possible (nor is there any reason) for me to use any other.

I attempted to contact customer service on THREE (3) separate occasions, and told each time that I would receive a response within 24 hours. These customer service requests were spaced out through the span of more than 1 week.

My request was simply for this company to send me the item that I ordered to the address that I originally told them to send it to. Seems reasonable to me.

I have finally heard back and told that a 'specialist' was going to 'review my request', and that this request is still somehow 'subject to approval'. So as of this time, they are still deciding whether or not to send me the item I bought from them. Really?

Instead of offering an apology, or store credit (or anything), I feel as though I am being blamed for their inept business practices. They have not admitted fault for shipping to the wrong address, and I cannot understand why I am still waiting for them to make things right.

This company has given me no reason to trust them, and I cannot recommend this website to anyone. If somehow they rectify the situation, I will update this review.

modified review This review was modified by theshape31 on December 11 2013 08:17:27 AM

"I ordered a Toshiba Portable Bluetooth Speaker the day before Thanksgiving. The day after, Thanksgiving night, I get an e-mail from Rakuten advertising that same speaker with an instant discount of $2. So Friday morning I e-mail customer service and seller asking them what I can do to get the $2 + sales tax, roughly $2.18, price matched since I had just ordered it. I thought it seemed reasonable.

I get an automated e-mail saying they'll get back to me in 24 hours. It took 8 days for someone to get back to me. They get back to me and ask for:

* Web link to the product showing the $17.99 price
* Date you saw the product at that price
* The amount of the refund you are requesting

I provide that and get this response:

You are eligible for a price protection refund if your request meets the following conditions:

* The item is in stock, shipped, and sold by a Rakuten Marketplace Seller or a retailer from our list of qualified Internet retailers
* The item was not purchased as part of a Rakuten Super Point promotion
* The item did not have a coupon or promo code applied to it
* The request is for a maximum of 3 of the same product, shipped to the same address
* You have not made more than 3 requests within a 30 day period
The price difference is no greater than $100.00 per request
* The price was listed within 14 days prior to your order being delivered, or 14 days after your order was delivered

Just a poor experience compared to other online and brick & mortar retailers. They can keep that pocket change, they'll need the money more than me at this rate.

"I recently bought a Canon MG5420 printer. Rakuten has the best price, including Amazon. Now that Amazon is charging tax in MA, I've started looked at other vendors.

I was leary of using Rakuten given the lack of reviews in general, and the ones I did see weren't very positive. I asked a colleague who has used them in the past and he hadn't had any problems so I decided to take a chance.

I was shocked to see the printer at my door 10am THE NEXT DAY, without selecting any expedited delivery. It was in fact free shipping. Depending on the who provides the fulfillment of the item (Datavis out of NY in this case) YMMV, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

Plus they're part of Google Trusted Stores.

"I used to be a longtime Buy.com customer. My experience with Rakuten has not been good. Stick with Amazon, the best retailer online at the moment. Has been for a long time. "

"HORRIBLE! STEALS YOUR MONEY! Never gave $20 rebate and does not respond when I ask about it."

"I had read the reviews and still opted to attempt to buy a laptop from Rakuten (hey, people are inclined to report the bad but not the good, generally). I placed an order, my grandmother provided the card info (as she was doing the purchacing). The item info said it ships within 2 business days. 2 days later, I contacted asking why my order was still processing. They told me that they were waiting for a response, regarding a voicemail that they left "on a phone number associated with the credit card. It might not be the number you provided but we aren't allowed to tell you." My grandmother has had the same number forever, so I called and told her to check her messages. She had no message. She calls them and tells them, and they tell her they can't help her unless she recieves the message. I call again, and they tell me that they are forwarding me to the resolution department, and that we should get an email from them within 24 hours. 24 hours passes...no email. I call AGAIN, and they tell me (after 25 minutes, and transfering me amongst 4 different people) that they have already refered me to the resolution department, and that they will provide me with information on what I need to do... within 24 hours. Needless to say, the email never came. I emailed again telling them that if they didn't resolve the issue completely within 24 hours, I was canceling my order. Yesterday, I canceled the order. Today I went to the website to make sure it was canceled, and noticed that by my order info, they had added a huge red disclaimer that "THIS ITEM SHIPS FROM JAPAN AND CAN TAKE UP TO 20 DAYS TO ARRIVE." WHAT?!?! I ordered it a week ago, and NOW you tell me this small detail?! I got an email today informing me that they were sorry to be losing my business, bla bla bla "your order has been canceled." A few hours later, I get another email from them informing me that my order has been canceled "because we were unable to verify your billing information." 1- You canceled my order because I told you to. 2- YOU COULDN'T TELL US THAT YOU NEEDED THE ADDRESS VERIFIED DURING ONE OF OUR SEVERAL PHONE CONVERSATIONS?! Is that info REALLY that classified?

Don't waste your time, patience, or energy on this company.

modified review This review was modified by SidSeattle on November 13 2013 05:09:32 PM

Rakuten is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Rakuten is not a merchant member
Rakuten does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!