• Rating 2.17/10 45 reviews

Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co. is not a merchant member
    Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co. does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co. contact information

Product & services pricing Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.25/10 1.25/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.50/10 0.50/10

"This was my first experience with Northern Tool and it was a good one. I can honestly say that this is the absolute best tech support I have ever received. "

"Charged my credit card, but never shipped my order. They cancelled it without ever notifying me. A horrible company to do business with. "

"Despite the extremely slow and laggy website, I still decided to order a flashlight and some safety glasses from Northern Tools due to the low prices. I now regret making this order. Why? Because not only because the site was extremely slow, they were also extremely slow to ship my order. It should not take THREE WEEKS to ship an item through UPS. Also, one of the items was canceled but I have yet to receive a refund. "

"We purchased this Buyers salt spreader on Oct 26 2007.
It was shipped on Oct 30 2007 we received it on about Nov 3
We requested a defective part replacement on Oct 29 2008 under the 1 year warranty. After first agreeing that it was still under warranty they refused to replace the part saying that the warranty ran out 365 days after the order was placed--never mind when it was received or it was shipped. They did offer to sell us the part at about $50 more that it is available elsewhere and give us free shipping. Very poor business practices !!
Thankfully the manufacturer was much more helpful and replaced the part at no charge. It also became apparent that we were charged about $200 more by Northern for this product than it was sold elsewhere.
Northern Tool---Overpriced---Poor customer service--Bad business to deal with.--We have told them to stoop with their catalog and emails.

"Everything fine, as advertised, on each of two separate orders during 12/07."

"Telephone order, CSR was pleasant and helpful.
Special shipping arrangements were required.

Product arrived well packed as expected.
Would do business again.

"Long time customer . I ordered some air tool equipment from Northern. Great CSR went out of her way to help me apply a coupon. Every order I've placed in the last several years has been very satisfactory."

"Ordered a Forklift seat from them on monday and price was good but did find it slightly lower but thought Northern would get it to me faster.

I was wrong even though the northern tool rep told me on the phone they ship the same day i ordered he lied to me.
Yep lied, my item sat in pending mode for a couple days then the data was transmitted to ups on Thursday but not actually shipped until Friday.
When I called northern they kept telling me oh no it shipped but in reality it did not. Ups delivered it on Monday cause they really moved it to me.
The packaging was POOR, the seat had no protection and was just placed into a box where it had a hole in. The item wasn't damaged , luckily it was fine.

northern tool don't lie to your customers like you did to me.. This will certainly make me think twice next time not to mention I could of gotten it cheaper with the same shipping from someone else.

"I ordered a red and white shade cover for a riding lawn mower. It was shown as in stock. Then I went to work offshore, I came home 2 weeks later expecting some shade when I cut my grass. My order had not arrived and was shown as "Pending". I wrote them an email asking what was up and then did not respond, however when I checked my order the next day it was now "back ordered". So I wrote them another email recapping my first and letting them know that it was either bad bussiness practices or a mistake on thier part. I also asked that if it was a mistake on thier part that they had an identical item in a different color that was the same price and shown as in stock and could they please just send me that one instead.

After that they responded to my first email saying it was on backorder and would arrive in thier warehouse on July 19th and would be shipped out the next day. I had to go back to work offshore. When I returned on the 20th I had not yet received a response from my second email. I checked the status of my order and it was still "Back ordered". I checked the product online and it was shown as instock. So I called. I contacted thier customer support and asked what was going on and why was I being ignored. She told me they got stock in yesterday and would ship today and that I was never ignored, they had answered one email and disreguarded the second as duplicate. I asked to speak to her supervisor and she told me flat out that I could not speak to her supervisor, my product would ship today, and she would not dwell on customer service issues, and that was that, and good day.

My product did not ship until 4 days later. I received it yesterday. The only thing positive I can say about them is them shipped exactly what I ordered and had the lowest price on it. It just took them a month to ship it.

"Placed order for a ATV trailer. I was told it would take 5-6 weeks to ship. Since I could not wait that long, I canceled the order. The shipping company called later that day to scedule delivery, so I set up a time for delivery. I called NorthernTools.com back and they said they would not cancel the order. The delivery day came and I waited on the trailer to arrive........ NorthernTools.com canceled it. Then they said they issued a cedit to my credit card which has not shown up yet. I called AMEX to check on the credit. I WOULD NOT by from this company again."

"Price was lowere than anywhere else I found. I ordered a classic generator cover. The cover was new in packaging and arrived on time in perfect condition. Would do business with them again."

"Ordered some tools from them. It took a little bit long for them to ship, but I received the order in good condition. Will recommend this company to others."

"I have to admit, I was a bit worried after seeing the reviews of Northern Tool on this site, but I decided to give them a try. I ordered a garage heater for my new home and had a wonderful experience with the company.

Northern Tool had the best price for the heater by nearly $100 of anyone else I could find. I ordered the heater online and received it within three or four days. When it came, I noticed the box looked damaged in shipping. When I took the heater out of the box it was pretty badly damaged. I called Northern Tool and told them about the bad heater - and the customer service rep put me on hold, came back with an RMA number and told me my replacement would be leaving the warehouse that day and was being shipped second day for me. I also was told to place the old heater out in front of my house and UPS would pick it up when they deliver the new heater.

2 days later the new heater arrived, but the UPS driver never picked up the RMA'd unit. I called Northern Tool again and told them about the situation and they contacted UPS to see what was going on. UPS admitted they messed up and said they would be out the next day. I informed Northern Tool that I was going on vacation beginning the next day and preferred to wait until I got back (an entire week) before returning it so it didn't sit on my porch. They said absolutely, and asked that I call to arrange pick-up upon my return. After vacation I placed a 2 minute call and got confirmation that UPS would be out the day following from another friendly rep. The next day UPS came and I was all set.

Summary:
Placed order, order arrived damaged, Northern Tool shipped replacement second day UPS, had to call Northern Tool a few times to resolve UPS error and each time got a nice, friendly English speaking rep.

One of my best experiences working with an Internet company. Will definitely do business with them in the future!

"Utterly incompetent customer service. I placed
an internet order, then called to cancel it later
that afternoon. I got bounced around from person
to person, then told the "order wasn't in the system
yet" and somebody left a voicemail for somebody else.
Well, needless to say, the order shipped anyway.
UPS left it on my doorstep so I couldn't refuse
delivery. And now they tell me they won't refund
the shipping charge. Baloney! Not my fault!

"I found this site while researching another online company I had a bad experience with. Northern Tool provided the opposite - an easy site to navigate, an effective ordering process, and quick delivery of the product. They enable you to track your order online and the product arrived as advertised. Thank you Northern Tool for providing true value to your customers!"