Product & services pricing Rating 3.50/10 3.50/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.00/10 1.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.50/10 0.50/10

"They failed to make a good faith effort to deliver a trailer kit I purchased. They indicated the shipper attempted to contact me - there was absolutely no evidence of that - then returned the product to them because their contact attempt failed. Out of the original $429 charge, with zero shipping and handling charges specified, they only credited my account $203. When I protested they, quite dismissively, indicated that they "do not credit shipping and handling"?

The first question of course is 'what shipping and handling charge'? My receipt shows zero.

- They failed to complete their end of a purchase agreement wherein they are responsible for delivering to me a product that I in good faith paid for.
- They arbitrarily assigned a shipping and handling amount - never documented in the original purchase - and summarily made it my responsibility because they and/or their representative failed to make a delivery.

I researched this company and its reputation on the BBB and consumer watchdog websites - and found I am not unique in this experience. It is my recommendation to any consumer that wants a positive experience purchasing a product - Go Elsewhere!

modified review This review was modified by smacone on May 30 2013 11:09:06 PM

"STAY AWAY FROM NORTHERN TOOLS ONLINE. THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY, NOT SEND AN ITEM AND THEN DON'T WANT TO REFUND YOU. IF NOT FOR PAYPAL STEPPING IN, I WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT $47.24. PAYPAL REFUNDED ME AND WENT AFTER NORTHERN TOOL."

modified review This review was modified by membername67 on May 08 2013 03:37:15 PM

"18 March 2013
On 07 Feb I ordered a generator. After about 2 weeks of waiting to receive the generator, the shipping company called to let me know when it would be delivered. I was excited to get it and on 18 Feb the truck pulled up in front of the house. I went out to meet them and found a crate that was broken and a box on top of the broken crate that was only held together by tape. I rejected the package and it took another 2 weeks to get an email from Northern Tool indicating the generator had been received back to them. I call to confirm the new generator would be shipped out and was told it would go out that day or the next. Frustrated but still excited to get the new generator I waited again. On 15 March I received a letter letting me know that the product was no longer available. No phone call. No help to find another product. No information to let me know what had happened to my money. I called their customer service where they were no help at all, except they did tell me my credit card had been credited back for the purchase. So I got on my credit card account only to find out they did credit back the cost of the generator but not the $142.10 for shipping. I couldn't get back in touch with their customer service until this morning where they had no reason for this, but did credit back the remaining amount.

I have never dealt with a company who didn't seem to care about helping their customer find a replacement product when the one ordered was out of stock. No, help whatsoever.

If you are order a product on line I would not recommend buying from Northern Tool.

"Have ordered a few things from Northern Tool over the past month, fairly high dollar stuff. A generator and a contractor truck rack. Contacted customer service for both items, one for a question on the generator and the other because the shipping company lost the contractor rack. Both times the customer service at Northern Tool was very friendly and helpful. I have been very pleased with the service provided by this company. "

"Nightmare Experience, Unfair Practices
I purchased a wood stove for $500 from Northern Tool. My bank account was credited 3x ($1500) for that same purchase on three separate occasions!!
For a whole WEEK NT had me going back and forth among their departments and my bank, were rude and NEVER acknowledged any wrong doing.
This had me frustrated and without sleep for an entire week, and messed up with my finances terribly.
Wouldn’t recommend the risk of buying from them to my worst enemy, Stay Away from them!

"I ordered two 18,000 BTU, Dyna Glo Cabinet heaters model RA18LPDGD, to replace my well used one pound indoor units. Northern Equipment had these hard to find Cabinet Heaters in stock for a reasonable price. This is my first order from this outfit and I found their ordering process easy and glitch free. They gave immediate conformation for my order, and two days later it was shipped and I was furnished a UPS tracking number. Five days later UPS delivered them. I inspected and tested each unit and found no defects and they work very well. I also like the esthetics of these units, they're well made and should provide many years service. I'm now ready for cold man winter. Thank you Northern Equipment."

modified review This review was modified by DmaxD on August 28 2012 04:50:48 PM

"I purchased something valued at 19.99. It was the wrong product. I returned the item. I sent them the shipping information. They claimed they never received it and never refunded my money. Would never purchase anything from them again. Buyer beware!"

"I've ordered from Northern Tool a couple of times with great success. They have good prices on a lot of stuff. Shipping was fast and everything was professional. I just love looking through their catalogs."

"Northern Tool does did not publish the review I had written for their 1/4" Metric Socket Set because I had spoken the truth about the poor quality of that set. I merely stated that the ratchet/driver internal gears broke and that the set is NOT suitable for professional use. It is only usable for seldom, light duty usage. It proves to me that Northern Tool wants ONLY good reviews and prefers to censor negative reviews. This is unethical and speaks volumes about their business practices."

"I placed my order with Northern Tool and in the checkout I went with the free shipping method which stated "UPS Ground". I got order confirmation and tracking with an ETA of today (which UPS is usually reliable with the ETA). Then I was wondering where my package was since they usually show by now today. Went to track it online and I see a nice msg at that top that says,"As requested by the sender, UPS has transferred this shipment to the local post office for delivery to the final destination." So I called customer svc and was told they ship packages under 5 lbs via "UPS SurePost". I was like well the tracking # says it weights 6.3 lbs plus during checkout it didn't say anything about UPS SurePost. It said, "UPS Ground"! She acted like she could care less and said she couldn't do anything. Nice cust svc.

So now my package is in SurePost purgatory. I'll be lucky if USPS doesn't lose my package on their way to my place. I used them before and it took 4 days for them to overnight a couple of documents from MI to VA. Three of which they had no idea where it was. Nvr again if I can help it. Gee, I wonder how the USPS is $10 million+ in the hole. The only thing they're good at around here is delivering junk mail. (Sorry to any USPS employees)

Google UPS SurePost and see all the p!ssed off experinces from people.

"This past Christmas, I received an 8 " Heat reclaimer. I am very pleased with the Magic Heat, because after I mounted it in the 8" pipe, it performed beautifully, and increases the overall comfort in my work area. I highly reccomend this Heat reclaimer to anyone who burns wood. Its great!"

"Terrible customer service. Returned an item purchased for in-store delivery (never even took it from the store), and still haven't received a refund more than a month later. Customer service said it's because the headquarters have to receive it back from the store before the refund is made. This apparently means I paid nearly $500 and have to wait months to have my money returned. Would never purchase anything from this company again."

"Just found a gift card from about a year ago, $100 value. Tried to purchase something online and was told by customer service that their "promotional"gift cards, such as those obtained by redeeming credit card points, are only valid for 6 months. This policy is not stated on the back of their card, nor is it stated that this gift card somehow does differ from a normal gift card that you actually purchase thru them. THIS IS A SCAM, I SAY, AND I WILL TAKE MY BUSINESS NEEDS ELSEWHERE. MY COMPANY EXPENDS ROUGHLY $100 K PER YEAR IN TOOL COSTS. WE'LL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN AND WILL TELL ALL MY BUSINESS CONTACTS TO DO SAME."

"I ordered an air compressor for my husband on Dec. 12th and so that he would not see the item, I had it shipped to the closest store for pick up. Shipping states it would take 5-7 business days to ship to TX. I checked on my order today to find it is still in "pending" status. Called to find out the reason why as the cost of the purchase was already showing held from my checking account. I was told that they place a "hold" on the funds first for a day or so to make sure there is no fraud, then whenever a truck is available to make the next delivery to the store, my item will be shipped......WHAT????? I ordered this in plenty of time, had the cash in my account and NOW they are telling me it will get to the store sometime after Christmas!!!! Cancelled order and advised my bank that Northern Tool is not to receive funds. I will be more than happy to take my business and money elsewhere as will my family and friends. What an underhanded way to do business....well at least they will not get any more business from me!!"

"Ordered a Makita LCT300W cordless 3 piece combo kit which Northern had listed on the Amazon site. They would not honor the advertised price and cancelled the order."

Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co. is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co. is not a merchant member
Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co. does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!