• Address: 3900 Kilroy Airport Way Suite 350 Long Beach Ca

Chance of future purchase: Rating 7.72/10 7.72/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 8.27/10 8.27/10
    Customer service: Rating 7.05/10 7.05/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 4.50/10 4.50/10

"Recently I went looking for a new computer. I started looking at Macbooks, but the price made me decide to move outward, and I discovered a website called "Gainsaver" that showed macs and my other favorite computer: the IBM thinkpad.

The full experience of what I went through with Gainsaver is documented here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F613je6aQqA .

This is a six minute video I posted on Youtube about Gainsaver's business tactics. In short, after sending me the incorrect computer and slamming a phone in my ear when I had the audacity to be offended by their complete disinterest in fixing a problem they caused with their own negligence, I had to endure Steve Harper, the Gainsaver sales manager/owner (Although he denies this) calling me a "pain in the ass" and a "charlie horse" and telling me "I'm going to leave you on hold until you decide to email me for customer service." He also hung up on me more than a dozen times. At one point I sarcastically said, "We seem to keep getting cut off," and he said, "No, I'm hanging up on you, _sshole." Of course, that was punctuated with a click and a dial tone.

Going beyond even THAT customer abuse, Harper searched me out on the internet (my web site is in my email signature) and discovered I am a football coach and teacher. In a burst of RANK INSANITY this man then searched further and found the contact information for my school. He then called my employer about a private transaction that had nothing to do with them in any way. (Harper was reported to the Durham police for harassment for that stunt.)

Looking further, Gainsaver claims an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, but they have 294 complaints over the last three years-- that's a complaint every four days, by the way. The Better Business Bureau informs me that Gainsaver is currently under investigation for the number of complaints they are racking up. The reason the score is so high is because Harper knows how to work the system: only UNANSWERED complaints lower the score. Any time a customer complains, Harper can respond with "Gainsaver is looking into this" and the automated system registers this as a zero out for the complaint; the rating stays at an undeserved "A+".

When Harper sees this post, he or one of his employees will respond claiming I called him and harassed him (I think a customer spending $560 has a legitimate right to call a business on the phone.) and that he has reported me for harassment to the Long Beach Police. (They have no record of the call or a complaint.) The insanity is that I kept calling because Harper and his people kept hanging up on me-- had they acted in any way to competently fix the problem I certainly wouldn't be here now writing this.

He will claim my account is in collections (Gainsaver threatens collections immediately after a chargeback is received from a credit card company. And by the way, California law prevents sending a customer to collections until their account is more than 90 days in arrears). Harper uses this scare tactic more or less any time an aggravated customer disputes a credit card charge.

Harper will claim I "called all the sales people at Gainsaver telling them to f__k off." (That's seriously what he wrote on the answer to complaint form he sent to the Attorney General's Office.) What actually happened is that after his employee hung up on me the second time, I called in a third time and said, "F you if you won't help me. You're getting the entire computer back." Dropping one f-bomb after you've been hung up on by a customer service 'professional' because you asked for an RMA number is hardly the profanity-laced diatribe Harper wants you to THINK I accosted him with. (Harper's claims don't explain where calling a customer a "pain in the ass" and a "charlie horse" fall on the profanity chart.)

Harper will ALSO claim "recordings are on file." This is true. After he called my principal, I called him back to tell him if he called my place of business again I would file a harassment complaint. He replied, "Oh I want to record this! Say that again!" So I did. In other words, the ONLY recording this maniac has of me is an admonishment not to ever harass me at work over a private transaction again.

Currently, Gainsaver does not appear to be licensed by Apple to sell or refurbish Apple products. I'm still waiting for a call back from Apple on that subject.

Here's the bottom line: protect yourselves, folks. You don't have to take my word for what happened with Gainsaver. (I tell my students, "Don't trust NOBODY! Not even me.") Please make your own opinions after doing some necessary research.

Please take the time to view my video about my experience with Gainsaver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F613je6aQqA . I would be very appreciative if you would comment, and link to it/like it on Facebook and Myspace as well, if you have accounts with those services. (As an educator, I do not.)

Even if you don't bother with my video, and you don't have the time to read the reviews of Gainsaver here at the LA county BBB website http://www.trustlink.org/Reviews/Gain-Saver-205952320 , (the reviews paint a MUCH different story than the rating score), please protect yourself by deeply investigating every company you do business with on the web. I should have looked beyond the rating myself, and now I'm busily documenting Gainsaver to my credit card company instead of enjoying the computer I purchased through another vendor.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at coach_wadeAThotmailDOTcom . Anyone who has been ripped off by Gainsaver and needs help building a case to get your money back from your credit card company or to bring to the Attorney General, please contact me as well. I have 54 pages of documentation about this company and their fraudulent tactics I can supply to you to support your case.

Best wishes, everyone.

~D.

modified review This review was modified by CoachWade on May 05 2011 07:07:32 AM

"There were no problems with my order. My order was shipped as promised and arrived as expected. No surprises. I would order again from GainSaver without hesitation. "

"I called them 3 times and sent several emails to correct the address that their system had mistakenly appended to my order. I was assured it would be corrected.
3 weeks later, they shipped to wrong address and would do nothing to correct for this, except tell me I'd get another one in two weeks.

"I had a great experience utilizing Gainserver for my needs. No issues with any part of my transaction. Delivery was ahead of schedule..Being an online merchant myself I have a great deal of expectations that customer service is key and Gainserver is a merchant I would recommend and use again for my needs"

"Excellent value for a good tablet computer."

"I was very hesitant to order such an expensive piece of equipment from GainSaver, and likely wouldn't have if a friend hadn't persuaded me because of his positive experience over the years. I am very satisfied with the service and speed of my order(s). Originally ordered a 17" MacBook Pro which had some booting issues, so I sent it back, and switched to a 15" MacBook Pro which came the next day. Steve the rep was attentive and responsive to all my questions and extremely helpful in returning the original and shipping the new. Can't rate the refund section yet but, Steve again, very helpful in letting me know where it is in the process and when to expect it to show up. Aside from the initial worry with the 1st computer, no complaints!"

modified review This review was modified by Sparky564 on March 23 2011 10:14:30 AM

"Gainsaver made my Christmas and my whole year. I used my Christmas money to buy a Macbook 13.3" 2.16 GHz with an Intel Core 2 Duo White. I think the skew was MB062LL/A. Anyway, their customer service reps were great about going over what I might need most for my computer. As a student I spent the the last 3 years having to borrow other students computers because my old one kept breaking down. After 3 overpriced repairs, and no sympathy from the retail techies that did the work over, and over, and over, charging every time, I decided my next computer crash meant looking into a new computer. Then I saw the prices of what I thought I wanted, and decided, it would be new computer for me, but a newly refurbished one. My computer arrived in a day earlier than promised, so that meant I was able to check Facebook and emails before going back to school, and had my new laptop ready to head back to Campus with me for the new semester. Judging by the speed their technicians configured my laptop, it is obvious they didn't take too much time off over the holidays. The same for their customer service guys, they were always pleasant and available to answer questions, and they never sounded hungover or grouchy about working so many hours over the holidays. The speed in their delivery time, the pleasant staff and the perfect customized computer makes me wonder if Gainsaver borrowed some of Santa's Elves over the holidays!.

"I ordered a mac mini and it's great came just as expected. Still waiting on the rebate though"

modified review This review was modified by deferet on March 15 2011 10:58:42 AM

"This is the second tablet computer I have purchased from Gainsaver. The first experience was a 10. This time I would give their customer service a 1. I had a question about the advertised price and the price I was charged. It took three e-mails to finally get someone to return my call and when I tried to ask about the difference they refused to discuss it, hung up on me twice, and told me if I didn't like the price I could return the item. Within 10 minutes of informing them I intended to keep the tablet and take it up with my credit card company I received a threatening e-mail from them. While they may have been a good company to deal with in the past they are certainly not that anymore."

"Very quick delivery. MacBook was as good as I expected. Clean and with current operating system. Now, a month has passed and the MacBook is really super. No problems and have recommended several of my friends to check out the prices."

modified review This review was modified by bduff on April 06 2011 06:13:26 PM

"I found Gainsaver on the net looking for a good price on a Apple Computer. I hesitated to order from them, but went on and did it. We talked on the phone and e-mails. I placed an order. It arrived in better condition that I have imagined. I am very happy and pleased with their service. Will gladly order and recommend them to others."

"DO NOT BUY A COMPUTER FROM GAINSAVER....I bought an Apple Mac Book for my son for Christmas..it was VERY worn,had a chip on the front AND had a glitch. I sent it back to have it repaired or replaced..they sent the VERY same unit back to us and the problem wasn't fixed. They told me to send it back again for a refund. When I didn't hear from them I called. They then told me they wouldn't refund my money because the package arrived damaged in shipment. I filed an insurance claim with UPS and GAINSAVER isn't cooperating in allowing them to inspect the package. Since I sent the package from a Staples store they are trying to help but GAINSAVER will not give them any information either. These are not people you want to do business with. -DPV"

"I have never been so ripped off in my life! This is a complete scam of a company. First of all, they sent me an old keyboard that didn't even match the picture. I had to send that back on my own dime. My computer starting falling apart within the year and I paid for the 3 year warranty. The computer came with a cloudy screen, the cdrom never worked right, and then the face plate started coming up. I called and a rep said to send it back for a credit, in the original packaging, UPS, which I did. When I called to see what my credit would be, I was told that I had dropped it, and that I would not be getting any money back, nor would I get the computer back. I bought the insurance thru UPS but without a computer, I can't claim it with them. What a rip off!! They have probably already resold it! They have also dropped their customer service number, nor is there a manager to speak to. They probably couldn't deal with the high volume of calls! I am filing a dispute with my credit card company, and will continue to hound them to do the right thing. I literally have nothing to show for the over 1000.00 I paid. Sickening!!"

"As described, delivered quickly, and a great value."

"The inventory selection was outstanding. Gainsaver offered us everything we needed for a macbook upgrade. The ordering process was simple, the delivery was fast, and most importantly the product was perfect! I will most definately order from GainSaver again!"

GainSaver is a Merchant Member! Learn more

GainSaver is a merchant member
GainSaver participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. This merchant is also Elite. See all 1,880 merchant members.