• Crowdspring.com Crowdspring.com Elite Status

Chance of future purchase: Rating 9.25/10 9.25/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 9.41/10 9.41/10
    Customer service: Rating 9.31/10 9.31/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 9.44/10 9.44/10

"Great way of getting multiple sources of inspiration. We received 100+ designs in under a week. Reduced the cost of the design project significantly (we estimate a saving of at least 50% compared to commissioning a local design agency and a shortened timeline of several weeks).

The client team were supportive and responsive. The creatives were quick to update the designs and respond to feedback. Some of the submissions were of low quality, but it was easy to quickly feedback and focus on the designers with potential and strong talent.

We are already planning our next project on crowdspring

"Crowdspring provided and excellent crowd sourcing interface. Their reach was good and we received over 130 logo entries in a 7 day period fro a logo source project. We recommend providing frequent feedback to participants to keep them engaged - this stimulated participant activity. Again Crowdspring provide great tools for doing this. Their support team were always ready to help and would respond to mail requests promptly. Good experience all round."

"Crowdspring.com is the best place to go for logo work. You get a ton of entries, it's all very professional and we have never been disappointed with the end results! "

"An amazingly great and affordable source for creative help with projects, The support staff are also fantastic. This is very person centred and individual. It is only fair to give frank and constructive feedback to the many creatives who freely choose to submit their ideas and time to projects, and in amongst the less workable options, are some genuinely lovely, insightful and inspirational ideas. A thoroughly fascinating and fruitful experience. "

"So amazing, so efficient, I am very well surprised of the way it works, I will use it for lots of project"

"love crowd spring! especially for naming and logo projects."

"love crowd spring! especially for naming and logo projects."

"An innovative and economical way to obtain creative work when you have no in-house creatives. I will be considering this service again for future creative work."

"I tried this for method for the 1st time hoping that I would get a label close to what I was looking for. I wanted to find out what ideas would generate through several artist rather than going through just one. Glad I did, now we have labels that we are so happy with we will be using them from now on. Best business improvement experience we have had and it was fun participating as well."

"I think this might be the best website for start-up companies like mine who are on a limited budget. After hiring several independent graphic designers and being unhappy with the results, my friend recommended this site to me. It made my life so much easier in having several logos to choose from and being able to set the time frame needed. Would recommend to anyone!"

"Our tagline project on Crowdspring was a complete success! Their crowd platform is easy to use, they have great creative resources and the fees are very reasonable. I recommend them and we will be using them for future projects."

"By far the best thing i have ever been recommended to use, it has saved me precious time and money. Not only was my end design exactly what i had envisioned, but the designer was effective and a pleasure to deal with. Will definately be using them again for my next project. Thank you Crowdspring and all you helpful staff members."

idylanrobertson's Avatar

Tokyo, Japan

I did a naming contest to come up with a brand name for a new website that I'm planning.

The concept of crowdsourcing brandnames in general is definitely effective and worthwhile. There is no way I could have come up with so many names by myself.

I chose a platinum package, which only allowed "Platinum Creatives" the option to participate. I’m not sure, but, apparently this keeps out a lot of noise from the project.

In the end, the results you get depend on how clear and well thought out your brief is and how much feedback you give:
- I feel that my brief was clear and well thought out. I also worked with a professional naming consultant who helped refine my brief.
- According to the system's ratings and the feedback from crowdSPRING staff, I gave an unusually high level of feedback to the creatives, which I believe is what resulted in my getting so many entries.

They have two ways you can buy an entry:
- Awards: this is a one-way transaction.
- Offers: you give the Creative an offer and they have the option to refuse or negotiate. Offers is where things get messy.

crowdSPRING rules are such that you are not allowed to register a domain name for a brandname that you want to purchase until the transaction is done. This puts you in a very precarious position because they seller could theoretically snatch it and try to sell it to you at an inflated price.

So, if you go ahead and register the domain, this is grounds for crowdSPRING to terminate your account.

Due to these rules, I had one transaction pushed off the platform and we eventually did the deal, but it would have been so much easier and cheaper if they had just let us do it on the platform.

The crowdSPRING UI was buggy, clunky, and missing basic functionality such as the ability to search among the naming entries. It needs a lot of work and doesn't seem to have evolved much since I first used it in 2009.

Their UI is not really setup for naming projects. They've just taken the same workflow used for logos and hacked it for naming contests. It's a hassle to navigate the way they've set it up. I expect that competing sites that specialize in naming project sites will be a lot stronger in this area.

If your credit card has reached its limit, the crowdSPRING UI will not allow you to change or update your payment details like most modern EC sites do. You have to call their support and get them to do it manually - just like the good old days of TV shopping.

Apart from the top page, the site is not responsive, so you might want to go elsewhere if you are a mobile device user.

They only offer support during Chicago business hours, so this meant that I had to wait up to three days sometimes for a response if I sent them a message on a Friday.

I cooperated with their support reps and gave them a lot of detailed feedback (actually wrote up and sent them two documents with details on what they need to improve). I believe I was polite, professional and clear in my communications. I was, however, very vocal about my frustrations both via support tickets and on Twitter.

In the end, they decided that I was too much trouble and terminated my user account.

Furthermore, they posted a tweet about my personal financial status. I had properly paid all fees and feel this was a violation of my privacy and trust as a customer. You can see the tweet here (unless they delete it):

Rep reply posted Aug-24-2015

crowdspring, Crowdspring.com rep has responded

“A smart business person knows that some customers are simply not worth the trouble. They end up costing your company much more than they provide to you, drain your capacity, drive your team to distraction, and have the ability to create long-lasting damage in an online community. Mr. Robertson is such a customer, and after the completion of his most recent project on crowdSPRING we informed him that his business was no longer welcome. It appears that this upset him greatly, and his review here is a reflection of how agitated he became.

On May 24, Mr. Robertson posted a Naming project on crowdSPRING. The project received over 1,300 INDIVIDUAL ENTRIES submitted by DOZENS of writers. As our online help content and instructions make abundantly clear, the names submitted to a project remain the intellectual property of the writer until they are purchased at the close of the project; this is true for both the initial award offered as well as any subsequent offers on other entries. We have this policy in place to protect our users and combat theft and fraud.

In spite of this clearly stated rule, Mr Robertson informed us that he wanted to make an offer on an entry and that he had, “just bought the domain in order to avoid them scamming me by buying it and selling it to me at a high price. So, I'd like to give them an offer of $100.” Mr Robertson went on to make offers on other entries and ran into errors with our payment system, when his credit card was declined (of course). This is not unique to our payment system: if a customer can not pay for a product or service due to insufficient funding, it should come as no surprise when they are required to speak to customer service to resolve the issue.

It is true, that Mr Robertson did sometimes have trouble reaching us on the phone: he is in Japan and the time-zone difference can be a challenge as we offer phone and live chat support only during US business hours. However, Mr Robertson received prompt online support via email in the evenings and on weekends as well as the multiple calls that we placed to him in Japan.

In addition, Mr Robertson asked our community members to wait weeks for payment for their intellectual property, and during this time filed dozens of frivolous complaints with our customer service team. Members of our community were rightly upset about this - they work very hard, with no guarantee that they will win the awards offered and it insulted them when Mr. Roberson not only violated our policies and Standards of Conduct for Buyers (http://www.crowdspring.com/standards-of-conduct-for-buyers/), but also demanded constant attention and feedback to his many complaints and “suggestions."

As the other ratings and comments on ResellerRating.com make clear, crowdSPRING is a company that takes great pride in our service, our support, and our product; our customer service team handles thousands of requests and has an overall satisfaction rating of over 97%! In spite of Mr Robertson’s opinion that our site is “clunky” and our customer support is “poor” we have received numerous awards for our design and interface including multiple, prestigious Webby Awards, the ABA Stevie Award, and the W3 award for web businesses. crowdSPRING has tens of thousands of very satisfied customers around the world and we are proud of our team and our community!

Mr Robertson, we thank you for your prior business and wish you the best with your future endeavors.”

"My first experience with crowdspring was awesome, I am very happy with my new logo for my website."

"This was my first time on the crowdSPRING platform and I ran a contest to design a logo for my new company. Within five days, I received 17 quality designs. The designers were very responsive to my feedback. And even CS support was there for me after business hours in helping me award the prize for the contest. It was a very easy and rewarding experience and I cannot say enough about the customer support. Outstanding!"

Share Crowdspring.com's store rating

Crowdspring.com is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Crowdspring.com is a merchant member
Crowdspring.com participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. This merchant is also Elite. See all 2,690 merchant members.