• Cheaper Than Di

Product & services pricing Rating 3.50/10 3.50/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.27/10 2.27/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.27/10 2.27/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.75/10 1.75/10

"I rarely leave product reviews, but having seen the many negative reviews of CTD, thought I would share my experience with them to provide some balance. For the record, I have no affiliation with CTD other than being a satisfied customer. I have placed four separate orders this year with cheaperthandirt.com; the most recent being delivered last week. All were for shotgun ammunition of various brands and types. I found the pricing was competitive for what I was purchasing. (Included 12 gauge low recoil and mini-shell variants, not easily found locally or elsewhere.). (If I thought pricing was excessive, I would not have placed the order. Pricing for 22LR as an example.). In all cases, I found their service to be excellent and would absolutely continue to purchase from them. Merchandise was shipped same day (or next at the latest), all items selected online were in stock, and everything arrived via UPS per the shipping status emails CTD provided. In only one instance did I have an issue. I ordered a quantity of 250 shells, but received only 200 in the carton. I placed a call to their customer service rep and it was rectified immediately(the next day they shipped me the 50 shells). I realize they seem to have a lot of detractors in regards to pricing. Guess it depends on what you are seeking. However, I have no issue giving them 5 star for the superb service I have experienced."

modified review This review was modified by oldguysrule946 on July 25 2013 12:22:09 PM

"This review reflects only the internet seller, not the actual store in Fort Worth. I tried to buy something online, paid, but was declined. The site said it was a credit card issue involving the number. This was the very first time I'd ever had a problem using my credit card with an online merchant ever. I've bought things since then with no problems. I tried again, same error. I called, tried to order over the phone, they said the number was invalid. We checked the number four more times, the code on the back, everything. They kept telling me it was invalid. I called my bank and they said the funds were being approved on their end, that everything was as it should be, nothing shady going on, no glitches except that the merchant was refunding the money after taking it out. I asked what the problem could be, they told me that it wasn't on their end because the money was being taken out, so they didn't have a problem on their side. I called back, tried a few more times, but the card was never approved by cheaperthandirt.com. So, I resolved not to buy and told customer service that they could contact me when they wanted to sell me something instead of teasing me. They emailed me back, telling me again it was my bank's fault. The emails went back and forth for a while, and every time I tried to end it politely, they would rebound with "It's a problem with your bank's software, not us". "Why, then," I would ask, "does every other merchant from which I buy have no problems at all ever, and only you guys have problems?" "It's a problem with your bank's software, not us." The runaround was unbearable. I have nothing positive to say about these people, and I wanted to share this in hopes they'd take some action to update their software."

"The only thing I have bought from this company was a rifel scope, and it was just as advertised. I'm writing a review to just let everyone know how this company just loves to stick it to their customers. Yesterday 5/18/13, I bought a 50 rd box of 9mm ammo at walmart for about $11 after tax. TulAmmo is the brand. When i get home i look to see if this company has any of the same ammo in stock and I am absolutely shocked to see that they do in fact have it in stock, but at over 5 times the retail price. Yes I understand supply/demand, but over 5x the regular price? That should be illegal! I can safely say I will never order anything from this company again. If that's how this company does business I will not ever give them one cent of my hard earned paycheck."

"Side note: This is the FOURTH time this has happened to me with purchasing ammo from Cheaper Than Dirt. I have NEVER been able to complete a transaction! I came here expecting to see ratings of 4-5 and was shocked to read how bad this company really is. Glenn Beck runs ads day and night on his shows for them.

I purchased a full case of 22 LR ammo on April 2nd 2013. Said it was in stock. Four hours later I received an email stating, "...Thank you for your order, unfortunately our supplier is unable to supply (such and such ammo)". Then they tell you a FOUR day period before they credit back to your credit card. And literally they use all four days to credit you. Again, this is the fourth time they've done this. I've never been able to make a complete transaction for ammo. I am done with this clown show called Cheaper Than Dirt.

Now I just found it Cheaper Than Dirt is actually committing credit card fraud for CHARGING my credit card without shipping the item. Sounds like they are trying to float hundreds of thousands of dollars in bogus transactions to keep their business operating with enough cash flow.

modified review This review was modified by GunEnthusiast on April 02 2013 11:17:26 AM

"I ordered two small parts from Cheaper than Dirt that were roughly 26.00. Not paying attention to the shipping I placed the order. I then realized that that the order total was 54.00 and I had just paid 28.00 in shipping. When I called to cancel my order I was told that it could not be canceled granted I had ordered it less than 24 hours ago. Come to find out the shipping cost was due to them having to ship the items from two different where houses. The customer service rep was not very helpful at all. All I can say is watch out when making purchases. They may charge high shipping rates and then not work with you."

"I have ordered numerous items in the past from this company and had been fairly satisfied with prices, quality and delivery. However, I am very disappointed with their current policy of price gauging. A prime example is their current ammunition pricing - specific example is Aim Surplus and Cheaper Than Dirt both selling Australian Defense Industries surplus 5.56 ammo and Cheaper Than Dirt asking 2X more. I don't think I'll be doing business with them again."

"Ordered 1000 rounds of 45acp ammunition on Monday 2/18/13 and they were delivered Tuesday, 2/19/13. Don't know how much better they could be. Outstanding service."

"They advertized a stainless version of a handgun on sale, but switched the non-stainless version on delivery. The sale price turned out to be even higher than MSRP for that version. Blatant bait and swtich.

They are price gougers and completely unethical to boot. Avoid them.

"This was my second purchase from CTD. And my first time online firearm purchase.I ordered Wednesday morning, recieved email saying it had shipped later Wednesday evening, it arrived at my FFL and I picked it up on Thursday. Free shipping on firearms. Considering the current market the price was great on a near impossibe to find firearm. UPS shipped 2nd day in one day and my FFL, Jim at Checkmate Guns of Naples FL, was prompt and cheap ($15 + $5 for background check) plus a real nice guy to boot."

"Worse company. They totally undermine the second amendment and alienate their customers by dropping guns and then start price gauging customers. $12 magpul 30rnd for $150?

Hope you guys go out of business.

"Possibly the dirtiest most despicable company ever created. They use anything possible to try to create a frenzy and no subject is too low or out there. The Mayan Apocalypse, elections, asteroids, Doomsdays preppers, whatever. These morons thrive on trying to create a panic in the morons who buy from them. 9mm and 5.56 @ a $1 a round, $150 mags for $900, $15 mags for $100. My dying breath will be don't buy from CTD! If these idiots were the last company on earth with what I needed, I would do without."

"Similar experience to many others who have already commented. I ordered a product on February 5, 2013. Said the product was in stock and the transaction went through. The following day I received a message that the product could not ship due to "depletion of inventory." After receiving this message, my credit card was still charged. Two days later I was refunded. As this was all transpiring, the product I had ordered miraculously reappeared in stock and for sale, but cost $6 more per unit. Shady business practices at best. They seem to be bordering on fraudulent advertising."

"I had a bad experience similar to other reviews. I ordered some ammo and they charged my card, only to get the "depletion of inventory" email a few days later. When I wrote to them about this their response was "demand is high". I responded to this and their next response was "What would you like me to say?". Really, this is customer service? I ignored the warnings and bought from them, but I won't make this mistake again. Stay away from this site and buy at a place that values your business."

"I ordered two 30rd magazines from Cheaper than dirt. The web site said they were in stock. They sent an email saying they would not ship “due to depletion of inventory” but billed my Visa anyway. Not only did they violate Visa USA policy, I view this as fraud. I have filed a fraud affidavit with my bank to get my money back and filed a complaint with Visa USA. "

"Crooks will never get a dollar bill out of this ol boy again! I placed an order at around 2:00am on 1/28/13. Within 30 min I wanted to cancel my order so I called them & attempted to cancel the order & the lady was very rude & told me that I could not cancel because it had been sent to shipping already. Really, at 2am, come on! Oh yeah, the order still hasnt shipped....I wish I would have looked at the online reviews of the customer satisfaction first! Take my advice, spend your $ elsewhere!!! They are no different than TargetSportsUSA! Stay away from both of these sorry ass retail stores! Hope they go out of buisness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Share Cheaper Than Dirt's store rating

Cheaper Than Dirt is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Cheaper Than Dirt is not a merchant member
Cheaper Than Dirt does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!