Stores > Cabela's

• Cabela's

Product & services pricing Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10

2013-03-12

"I recently purchased a used pump shotgun at Cabela's. It was one of the worst shopping experiences I have ever had. Far from being a gun expert, I have not fired a gun for over 40 years. First of all the help I received from four different sales people was at best negligible to misleading. Secondly I found two shotguns which were safety hazards, and one was inoperable. The first was a pump shotgun with a missing slide safety. The original, metal slide had been replaced with a piece of wood that looked disturbingly like part of a pop-cycle stick. When slid to the safe position, the slide would return to the off position by itself. The second pump shotgun, which I ended up buying, was defective. It jammed after loading two rounds into the magazine. It would not eject or load those two rounds into the firing chamber. I had to return to Cabela's with the two rounds in the magazine. I was stopped at the door and told that I could not bring it into the store. Eventually, two employees carried the gun back out to my car where one of them proceeded to remove the shells by removing the magazine cap and spring. When he reassembled it and loaded the rounds back into the magazine, it jammed again. After clearing the magazine again, we took the defective gun into the store where we agreed on an exchange for a comparable shotgun. I had to go through the background process again for the second shotgun. (A one and a half to two hour wait.) I decided to come back later to pick up the gun. When I returned that evening, I found the five stations available for this process manned by only two employees with lines to both. After waiting several minutes I called for a manager to open up another station or two. I was informed that there were no other trained employees in the store who could do this. I finally did get to take the second shotgun home. I am almost afraid to fire it for fear of some other catastrophe.
In summary I have three questions:
1. How can defective firearms be placed on the racks for sale?
2. Why are the sales people not knowledgeable about the products they are selling?
3. Why would you not have trained back up employees to avoid customers standing in line for long periods of time?

2013-02-21

"Cabelas recently send me an email asking if I wanted to keep my ammunition order on backorder or cancell it. I responded to the link provided stating I wanted to KEEP IT..since I had been waiting since early December. An hour later, they cancelled my order. After checking with some friends, they had the same problem. Customer service told me that they were NOT getting anymore ammunition orders and they decided to cancel all backorders so as not to "keep me us waiting". The TRUTH IS THEY WOULD HAVE HAD TO HONOR A SALE PRICE AND WOULD LOSE TOO MUCH MONEY. Needless to say, Im pizzed!!!!"

2013-02-17

"Customer service and order processing needs a lot of work here. You can order stuff that they are showing as IN STOCK, and they put a funds hold on your card, and then check back days later to find it has been cancelled, and they don't even email you to let you know.

This has happened multiple times to me, and I am done with this place until they get their act together.

2013-01-25

"I have ordered from Cabelas numerous times over the years with very good experiences. I have ordered everything from clothes to ammo and have never had any problems with the merchandise or shipment speed. They have good sale prices at times and their products seem to be of high quality. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. "

2013-01-11

"This retailer has some serious customer service issues. I ordered a stryker 380 from cableas at the beginning of November, that was supposed to be a Christmas present. Waited, and waited, no crossbow. Christmas came and went and still no crossbow. Finally over 2 months later I get a call asking if I would like to cancel the order, or wait for it to come in. I call to say no I've waited this long I can wait for it to come in. They tell me that the order has been cancelled because they can not get any in, and too bad. All this after I have been checking the status frequently and the only thing I could get out of them was that it was on backorder. After I get off the phone with the less than helpful customer service person I check cabelas website and they say that there are new stock in at a mere $250 more. Sad and pathetic, I will definitely be shopping elsewhere from now on. "

This review was modified by cabelascrap on January 11 2013 05:20:50 PM

2012-12-27

"I ordered hard to find ammo online. While there was an error with their computer systems as it told me the whole way through checkout that the ammo I wanted was what I was ordering, when I got the immediate conformation email it had a different selection of ammo that was $2 a box cheaper. I emailed customer service pictures on my checkout screen to show proof of what happened and they replied promptly correcting my order. "

2012-12-01

"Well I purchased a gun that was new and the cashier damaged it while boxing it up. I drove way out of my way to exchange the item since the lead of the gun department said he had one he would save for me to exchange for the damaged one. Well.... He lied. He didn't have one in stock for me to exchange and they didn't offer a refund or my money back. I got ripped off. I contacted the manager and he said he would call me back after he looked into it. I never got a call back and that was 5 days ago! I'm very unhappy! If they don't make it right soon I will never buy a gun from Cabela's again!"

2012-11-28

"Nothing but a terrible experience. I placed my order 11-26-12. I received an email the next day at 6:00pm stating I needed to call them about my order. No other information. I call at 7:20 and they told me the department I needed was closed, go figure.
I call in the next day(today) and find out I put in an incorrect year for my CC date. Okay, no problem.
30 minutes after the call, they call me back and tell me that the item I purchased "WENT OUT OF STOCK" Are you kidding? What kind of business is this?!? My order wasn't cancelled or anything. How could someone take my item I already claimed.
They had no answer at all for me. This was a $110 order that I had them cancel. I will NEVER shop there again. This is not the first time they disappointed me.

2012-11-28

"Unfortunately Terrible! Order a gift for my Husband's birthday, put it in my shopping cart online and then proceeded to check out. Paid for it online, was charged for all the items and then they don't even notify me that they cancelled part of my order. Problem was, I didn't want any of the order if part of it was going to be cancelled because it was a set. I called to cancel the order and they wouldn't let me. They CHARGED me for everything though! Called them again and they said it was my credit card companies problem, not theirs! Too much of a hassle to order with them, will buy from Bass Pro and Gander Mountain from forever on!
AND to "add insult to injury" - I checked their website again today to see if the so called "discontinued" item was available for sale and GUESS WHAT - IT'S AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE FOR MORE MONEY!!
What sleazy scammers they are!! Will tell everyone how they treat customers!

2012-11-27

"Online shopping was pleasant. Received the items I ordered in a timely manner. No complaints and was a great deal on ammo."

2012-11-15

"We stopped in Cabela's to use up gift certificates from their store. Salesperson tells us to apply for JOINT account at front desk to get $25 off what we wanted.
Go to front desk & ask to fill out joint account for Cabela's Visa which we did per rep's instructions at front desk. Rep stated 2nd Visa card would be sent in mail.
2 mos later we are still trying to get JOINT Visa card. Cabela's trying to say we never filled out application, yet we have 1 card already & used it that very day. I've been emailing Cabela's for the other card for 3 weeks now & still getting no satisfaction & no JOINT VISA card.
I feel we were lied to & scammed when filling out application because we sure haven't gotten what we applied for. I am still waiting for card & still dealing with incompetent reps who all keep passing the buck for the 1st rep's lies if that's what he really did. Do not trust Cabela's reps, they are very dishonest.

2012-09-06

"I have had nothing but great experiences with Cabelas. Recently for my husbands upcoming birthday I wanted to get us both new fishing poles for surprise trip to the BWCA. I am a deal hunter so I checked clearance sale prices on a few websites and found a nice deal for husband on Cabelas website and one on Gander Mountain's for me, I placed both the same day. 3 days later my pole from Cabelas arrived, it was perfect. Two weeks later when I still hadn't received confirmation that my pole from Gander Mountain had yet to ship I checked the website- the product still said "ships from vendor", which made me believe it was still in stock so I called them. They informed me that the drop shop item was indeed out at the vendors and now wouldn't be shipping for a month. I work for a direct marketing company as well and asked them whether they were using an EDI feed to determine when an item runs out so to remove it from the website or to display correct out of stock wording to which the representative did not know. I quickly canceled my order with them and placed one with Cabelas for the exact same pole at almost the same price and got it again within three days (I think I live close to the warehouse) but regardless Cabelas sent be the shipping notification, I didn't have to call them to find out! And that is how you do great online retailing, fast and communicative!"

2012-08-08

"I personally love Cabela's and have never had an issue with them. At our store in Arizona there are always associates all over the store and they are always willing to help you and know what they are talking about.Just recently I wanted a pair of boots they didn't have in store and instead of making me wait to have them shipped to store because I didn't want to pay the shipping, they sent it to my house free of shipping because my father had a Cabelas card, even though we weren't using the card to pay. Every stop in Cabelas is a pleasant one for me. They may be pricey but they do have there ups and downs. For example if you buy a Cabelas brand boot they are pretty much guaranteed for life and if u bring them in with your receipt if they break, they replace them or pro rate them for you."

2012-07-09

"I used to be a huge fan of Cabela's when they were primarily a Catalog Order store, back in the '80's. Unfortunately, it appears they have gotten too large, with unreasonable policies that are destroying the company.

I recently was at the Cabelas in Hoffman Estates, IL to purchase some blank cartridges for dog training. They told me that I needed my FOID card to purchase the blanks. True enough for ammunition in Illinois, but for Blank Cartridges? Not to mention they sell a dummy launcher with blanks right off the shelf, without an FOID. I ended up ordering from another online company that understood Illinois law better.

I have ordered a number of items with "Free in-store pick-up". Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for the store to receive the items (I have since noted that they usually have the item in-stock in the store). Upon receiving notice that the item has arrived at the store (usually at an inconvenient time), I will send my wife, or other family to pick-up the item - which they frown upon (for some reason) even though I send them with the e-mail with the invoice, and the notice that it is in stock. If the item is at the store, they send out automatic notifications (e-mails and text-messages) stating that the item must be picked-up, or will be returned. Then, when picking up the item, I/we wait for unreasonable (my opinion) times (20 - 40 minutes standard) while too few associates handle the myriad of questions/paperwork on returns (same line). At one time, a manager came out due to a request from a patron. The associate dealing with the upset patron asked the manager if she was on lunch. She stated (quite loudly), that she was, but would obviously have to take it later.

When I have stopped into the store on occasion to check on my item, I will find the item in-stock in the store, at a cheaper price. I have shared this info with Cabelas, to which they described that the in-store inventory is not tied to the online ordering, and they are not willing to help resolve beyond that.

I will not order online any more. If I happen to be in the store for staple items, I may purchase, but then again, most of the items I expect to find are available at Walmart! After reviewing some of the statements here, I see they have been on a down-ward trend since about 2007. It is very unfortunate to see them fall due to poor customer service.

2012-06-01

"Cabelas has made my wife and myself VERY satisfied customers."

This review was modified by Jacjac171 on July 01 2012 03:45:27 PM

Share Cabela's's store rating

Cabela's is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Cabela's is not a merchant member
Cabela's does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!