• Cabela's

Chance of future purchase: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.71/10 5.71/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10

"We stopped in Cabela's to use up gift certificates from their store. Salesperson tells us to apply for JOINT account at front desk to get $25 off what we wanted.
Go to front desk & ask to fill out joint account for Cabela's Visa which we did per rep's instructions at front desk. Rep stated 2nd Visa card would be sent in mail.
2 mos later we are still trying to get JOINT Visa card. Cabela's trying to say we never filled out application, yet we have 1 card already & used it that very day. I've been emailing Cabela's for the other card for 3 weeks now & still getting no satisfaction & no JOINT VISA card.
I feel we were lied to & scammed when filling out application because we sure haven't gotten what we applied for. I am still waiting for card & still dealing with incompetent reps who all keep passing the buck for the 1st rep's lies if that's what he really did. Do not trust Cabela's reps, they are very dishonest.

"I have had nothing but great experiences with Cabelas. Recently for my husbands upcoming birthday I wanted to get us both new fishing poles for surprise trip to the BWCA. I am a deal hunter so I checked clearance sale prices on a few websites and found a nice deal for husband on Cabelas website and one on Gander Mountain's for me, I placed both the same day. 3 days later my pole from Cabelas arrived, it was perfect. Two weeks later when I still hadn't received confirmation that my pole from Gander Mountain had yet to ship I checked the website- the product still said "ships from vendor", which made me believe it was still in stock so I called them. They informed me that the drop shop item was indeed out at the vendors and now wouldn't be shipping for a month. I work for a direct marketing company as well and asked them whether they were using an EDI feed to determine when an item runs out so to remove it from the website or to display correct out of stock wording to which the representative did not know. I quickly canceled my order with them and placed one with Cabelas for the exact same pole at almost the same price and got it again within three days (I think I live close to the warehouse) but regardless Cabelas sent be the shipping notification, I didn't have to call them to find out! And that is how you do great online retailing, fast and communicative!"

"I personally love Cabela's and have never had an issue with them. At our store in Arizona there are always associates all over the store and they are always willing to help you and know what they are talking about.Just recently I wanted a pair of boots they didn't have in store and instead of making me wait to have them shipped to store because I didn't want to pay the shipping, they sent it to my house free of shipping because my father had a Cabelas card, even though we weren't using the card to pay. Every stop in Cabelas is a pleasant one for me. They may be pricey but they do have there ups and downs. For example if you buy a Cabelas brand boot they are pretty much guaranteed for life and if u bring them in with your receipt if they break, they replace them or pro rate them for you."

"I used to be a huge fan of Cabela's when they were primarily a Catalog Order store, back in the '80's. Unfortunately, it appears they have gotten too large, with unreasonable policies that are destroying the company.

I recently was at the Cabelas in Hoffman Estates, IL to purchase some blank cartridges for dog training. They told me that I needed my FOID card to purchase the blanks. True enough for ammunition in Illinois, but for Blank Cartridges? Not to mention they sell a dummy launcher with blanks right off the shelf, without an FOID. I ended up ordering from another online company that understood Illinois law better.

I have ordered a number of items with "Free in-store pick-up". Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for the store to receive the items (I have since noted that they usually have the item in-stock in the store). Upon receiving notice that the item has arrived at the store (usually at an inconvenient time), I will send my wife, or other family to pick-up the item - which they frown upon (for some reason) even though I send them with the e-mail with the invoice, and the notice that it is in stock. If the item is at the store, they send out automatic notifications (e-mails and text-messages) stating that the item must be picked-up, or will be returned. Then, when picking up the item, I/we wait for unreasonable (my opinion) times (20 - 40 minutes standard) while too few associates handle the myriad of questions/paperwork on returns (same line). At one time, a manager came out due to a request from a patron. The associate dealing with the upset patron asked the manager if she was on lunch. She stated (quite loudly), that she was, but would obviously have to take it later.

When I have stopped into the store on occasion to check on my item, I will find the item in-stock in the store, at a cheaper price. I have shared this info with Cabelas, to which they described that the in-store inventory is not tied to the online ordering, and they are not willing to help resolve beyond that.

I will not order online any more. If I happen to be in the store for staple items, I may purchase, but then again, most of the items I expect to find are available at Walmart! After reviewing some of the statements here, I see they have been on a down-ward trend since about 2007. It is very unfortunate to see them fall due to poor customer service.

"Cabelas has made my wife and myself VERY satisfied customers."

This review was modified by Jacjac171 on July 01 2012 03:45:27 PM

"Stood in line for 45 minutes for service at the Tulalip, WA store. After finally getting to speak with someone I was told the item I wanted to purchase was not available. They then tried to sell me something I did not want and finally offered to put in a special order request for what I wanted. It has been almost three weeks and I have not heard anything on my special order request. I am not impressed and I won't be back."

"Bad experience with a back ordered item. Saw a fly reel was to be available in early March...that was only a week away so decided to go ahead and order. Then it was pushed back another two weeks. With still no sign of it after a month and fishing trip coming up, decided to call customer service. Their explanation was they had sent an email to the supplier a month ago, and once they hear back will update me.... really?!

What kind of business sits on a product inquiry with pending orders for a month? Fill date was pushed another month, and then recently yet another for good measure. Decided to cancel order due to unreliable vendor management.

After an ETA of 3 months from original estimate, I decided to take my business to a more reliable retailer.

"Cabela's sent me the wrong item. I returned it (even had to pay for shipping of the correct item). Then I get this cryptic email about a refund. I contact Cabela's and they inform me that the item I originally tried to buy was now out of stock for the season. Talk about terrible customer service. If they hadn't screwed up my order in the first place then I would have had my item."

We live in Belgium , several times already placed an order with Cabelas, no problems.
Still the last time, i placed an order for $ 64.98, 2 times i send an e-mail, where is my package ? they reported, they have 90 days for delivery, when you have you order not on 06/12/2012, take contact with us.
Yesterday we reived an e-mail, Cabelas send $ 44.98 back on my account, they keep $ 20 ,why ??? .
The package is NEVER offered, even by post , or even by courier
We have Aiphonecamara on the frontdoor, we can see,who was on the door NOBODY with a package ! !
thes practices are not good ,and i hate this
Mister Millner said on You tube, the value of this company ????

"I called the Boat shop in East Hartford, CT with a problem concerning my trailer that needed repair. I called Cabela's based on their website claim stating, "why wait weeks for someone to look at your boat when we can fix most problems in a day or two, blah, blah..." Well, the woman who answered the phone said it would be 3 weeks before anything could be done, if they could do it at all, and that "someone" would call me back.

Surprise, no one ever called me back. I'll take all my business to BPS, Cabela's has lost mine.

"I have ordered from Cabela's.com about a dozen times over the last few years. Each transaction has had these descriptors:
-Clear communication
-Easy processing
-Good prices - The price:quality ratio is tops.
-Good shipping with good, secure packaging
-Full satisfaction with the quality of the product.

Cabela's is always the first place I look for outdoors goods.

"I recently went to store in MAINE. COuld not find sales help anywhere! Ladies DEPT especially! Finally one woman who knew nothing just filling in she said.
So took my only purchase to registers only to see lines out the doors!!! So instead of moving people along the HORRIBLE cashiers ask, Do you have cabelas card can we have your phone number over 7 questions each customer!! Unbelievable! Their online service is just as bad. Over priced Horrible service. What is teh HYPE all about they are quickly losing their customer following! I will NEVER EVER go back!

"Refuse to go back!!!! I live close by, so I go the quite often. I was interested in purchasing a hand gun. I pulled a number and waited over an hour and a half till I gave up. I stood right by the counter and all of the associates would just look up at me while assisting other people who had not pulled a number! I am so disgusted with service! Employee looked up and assisted people who just walked right up to the counter! I even said excuse me I have a number! I was ignored! Done shopping here!
Cabelas prices are $75 to $100 over Shyda"s, and Richland shooters. One particular hand gun was an ok price that I was going to purchase.

"I bought several thing online which was shown in stock. Every thing came in, no back order. Good items as advertised and good communication, emailed tracking number. Item ordered on 3/5 came in on 3/8."

" I'm a regular customer of Cabela's and I think some of the negative reviews posted here reflect unreasonable expectations. Things go wrong in life. Cabela's can be excused for a computer erroneously showing an item in stock etc.
I've gotten prompt refunds for returns, including some Columbia underwear I didn't like . I've gotten replacement items shipped once when the Post Office misplaced my shipment .
The order takers on the phone are friendly and make few mistakes .
Advice to all : Any time you have a problem with a reputable company, don't magnify it and imagine they are out to steal your money, sell your email address to spammers, give your phone number to political groups or whatever.
Instead, make sure you communicate clearly, keep records, leave time for things to work out ( Don't depend on your refund arriving to make your rent. Order by credit card for best protection in the event of problems . And be reasonable !

Share Cabela's's store rating

Cabela's is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Cabela's is not a merchant member
Cabela's does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!