• Rating 0.00/10 45 reviews

Broadway Computer & Video is not a merchant member
    Broadway Computer & Video does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • Broadway Computer & Video contact information

"I have just returned from a weeks holiday in Boston. A day before we left Boston for the UK i travelled to New York for the day and found the Broadway computer & video store @ 1623 Broadway.
I went in and enquired about an Archos 605 WiFi 160GB device which the salesman showed me. After some deliberation over price i decided that it was cheaper than i could have got it in the UK and bought it along with a docking station.
The problem arose when i took the box out of the bag and found that they had swapped the unit that he had shown me for the 4GB version which is a quarter of the cost and not the one i wanted. It was done so quick behind the counter that i never even noticed and being in a rush to get the train back to Boston i never thought to check in the bag until i arrived back at the hotel by which time it was too late.
I have just arrived back in the UK last night and found this site after searching their name to find an email address. I am now going to contact our local fraud squad to see what i can do as i believe i was intentionally defrauded of goods that i had paid for. These guys are definately crooks and need to be stopped. They use distraction techniques and forceful moves like passing your goods from one salesman to another while they are still talking to you even though you havent committed to buy the goods then before you know it they are ringing it through the till. They added the docking station on even though i had said i didnt want it then made a big deal out of it and told me how they had discounted it specially for me and made me feel harassed into buying it and while i was debating it with the salesman the other one was completing the transaction. I ended up just saying fine and buying it as i thought it would still be cheaper than i could buy it in the UK.
Steer clear of this place. You WILL Regret it as i and by the look of this forum many others have not including those who have just buried their heads.

"The 1/23/08 I bought a Super Telephoto Lens High Resolutin Professional Series 2X and a Super Wide Panoramic High Resolution Professional Series 0.45 X at Broadway Computer and Video when I was I New York, it do´nt work with my camera Finepix S9500 even if VAL a salesman said so, because it have a manual zoom on it. I payed 1050 +tax for the first lens and 599,99 + tax for the other, and when I look it up at the internet the price for the first one is 68$ and the oteher is 23 $, how stupid can one get I call them but only got a funny man saying it was ok to send it back but that was a lie, we do´nt give you your money back, I was toll when I got hole of the rigth store and talk to salesman VAL, and I got angry and said hi was full of s... He said he could give my some new lenes but I only what my money back, which I can´t get because they dont give money back for thing Your can´t not use. And all the time he call my a sir and I do belive I´m a women not a lady,that way I belive I can say he is full of s... I made him sad and that is a pile of s... I got scam, for the first time in my life and I´m not the foregiven one I will call them again and maybe I say to him he is still full of shit.By the way I from Denmark, I did send back the lenses but they refuse to take them back, of cause got the wrong store at the phone the first time. Maybe I get my good friend to call them he does´nt get so agree.

modified review This review was modified by Wandborg on February 16 2008 10:54:19 AM

"These people are scam artists who target tourists. I walked in off the street looking for a memory card for my digital camera. The salesman, Michael, led me to a locked case and said he had 512 Mb or 2 Gb cards available. He took out a 512 Mb card and handed it to me. I flipped over the package and saw a list price of $162 or $169 (I forget, and he peeled the sticker off the package so I don't have it). While I had no idea how much memory cards cost, that seemed a little much. He said the price was actually $89, but he'd sell it for $75. While I was paying, he opened the package, then asked for my camera so he could insert the card. I later called the company that made the card because I was suspicious, and was told the list price was $8. I called to complain and the manager, Sam Cohen, said I could mail it back and he'd refund my money. I sent it back by certified mail, but it was refused and returned to me. The credit card company took the charge off my account, but later called to say the company claimed it had refused the package because there was no return authorization number, which they'd never mentioned before. I've now sent it back again and am awaiting the outcome. These people prey on tourists and those who didn't do their homework before coming it. I recommend reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and the NYC Dept. of Consumer Affairs."

"was as tourist in NY - had problem with camcorder Canon Hi8, entered 1623 Broadway and accepted exchange proposal for new digital Sanyo VPC-CG65EX at 1,516$; were told "a special promotial price"! The day after found out these camcorder could be bought at less than 400$!!!
Even a tourist 'in trouble' deserves a fair treatment: Shops with this kind of business practice( Italian maffia?) SHOULD BE BLACKLISTED!!

"DO NOT BUY ANYTHING HERE! These rip off artists mark items 2 - 3 x manufacturer suggested retail price. This is designed intentionally to rob people visiting NYC or peope that haven't had an opportunity to research a specific product. This practice actually violates NYC Administrative Code Title 20 Chapter 5, Subchapter 1 (www.nyc.gov/html/dca/resources/law/shtml). It's a disgrace that NYC doesn't do anything to stop these thieves from damaging NY's image and reputation."

"This store is a rip off. They scammed me for a peice of crap camcorder/camera for $510 dollars. When I got home, I was able to find this same camera on the Internet for $250. When I called to complain about the camera/quality, I was told NO refunds and that I could only exchange. I am currently trying to exchange an item, but they are wanting me to pay an additional $200 for another camera that I can get over the Internet for less than what I paid. No customer service and no attempts by this company to make it right. They scam people on vacation for as much as they can get out of you!! "

"DO NOT GO HERE. I attempted to use this store as suggested per my computer manufacturer to get my computer repaired - the repairman lost my computer's screw right in front of me and attempted to charge me for a service that arguably should have been covered under warranty. This business made it difficult for me to pick up my computer once I changed my mind and actually refused to give me a receipt and one salesman yelled at me 1 inch from my face. Once I was able to retrieve my computer, it was not put back together properly, one panel jammed in improperly and the screw still missing."

"On 11th October 2005, I purchased a SanDisk Cruzer Mini USB Flash Drive 1.0GB with the part number SDCZ2-1024-A10 and scan code 6-19659-02011-8 (Or, might be 80-56-01141-1024). I made this purchase at Broadway Computer & Video store, which is located at 1623, Broadway, New York, NY 10019; contact number 212-307-6260 and fax number 212-307-9781; in front of two store workers and Mark Sharif, the Sales Associate, Lic#0888898, on 11th October 2005. The item was charged on the total amount US$173.39, which had a price tag of above four hundred US dollars. Mark Sharif re-mentioned that I received the biggest discount rate from the store.
Unfortunately, I found SanDisk Cruzer Mini is US$99.99 selling at SanDisk website, US$77.95 at flash_memory_store.com, and US$69.88, after rebate price -- US$46.88, at www.jr.com (J & R retail Company). I was extremely disappointed for mistrusting the product price tag on SanDisk and misleading information of Mark Sharif. If I bought the SanDisk USB drive from J & R Company, and got the rebate, I wouldn’t have to pay an extra US$126.51.
What do consumer rights and protecting laws do? After I’ve spent a few days for sending complaints to the store sales associate, Mark Sharif, the store owner, Mark Sharif, SanDisk Manufacturer, making calls to representatives, and reading laws, my finally conclusion is “A careless and non-prior-price+company researching Consumer is deserving a price-fraud.” I am so surprised that a store is located at Times Square, the most common tourist hanging area, is having rights to have an “incredibly+surprising+differential” price tags on selling items, is allowed to fix the item price by dividing it in 2, and misleading the non-doing-researching or a forgetting-prior-researching consumer by the “giant” discount rate. Even though a person, who uses computer more regularly, and rephrasing major in computer field, he’d still dare to play a price trick. Then? What about consumers who do not use computer or computer skill less? Oh! Got it, “Consumer Rights and Protections” – “They’re deserved to be victims”.

"Purchasing Role: For most of your purchases from this company, characterize your role. If you bought a joystick, you might characterize your role as "Hardcore Gamer".
Invoice Number: Please enter the invoice number from your last invoice from this company. This number is required and establishes that you made a purchase from this store.
Comment: Enter your comments about your purchasing experiences with this company in the box at right.

modified review This review was modified by jimrough on May 17 2005 12:03:38 PM

"My husband and I cannot believe that we were so stupid. We were out on the town for our anniversary and fell into this den of thieves. These people are thieves. They mark prices on products in their store at 3 to 4 times the mfgs. suggested list price. To give a case in point: a Bower 0.38x high res macro lens super wide angle that is selling all over the internet for $89, they have with a price of $649 and they sold it to us for $340. A no name 512 mg digital picture card that should not sell for over $89, they have marked for over $200 and they sold it to us, they said, for $99, but when we saw our itemized bill, with no specifics like numbers or product names on it, they had charged us $149 for this. A camera bag that they told us they were giving us as a gift for our large purchase and to close their deal, was charged on our bill at $69.99 and it is a bag from China that you can buy for $15.
A Canon Powershot S1 IS has a ticket on the box marked $899, although you can find this camera for as little as $219. When we called these people the morning after out purchase and told them what we had found out: that they had charged us for merchandise they had promised to give us and overcharged on everything. They said they don't give back money but if we want a battery charger, they will send us one. I emailed and faxed them with proof of prices elsewhere and they have ignored me. When we entered their store, we honestly told them that we were not ready to buy as we hadn't done our home work on the type of digital camera, etc. that we wanted. We just wanted to look and get some ideas. We were literally overwhelmed by a crowd of salesmen, led by Tito, who kept saying that we should have a heart, they need money. He complained that his girl friend had already called three times and that her should have left, and that we were his last customer and that he was giving us great prices so he could go home, blah, blah, blah. I know, I know, we were so happy out on our anniversary that we ignored all the signs of con men and we bought, under duress, but we did buy from these people at least 3 times what we should have paid. How a store like this can stay in business, we cannot figure out. I guess most people are so embarrassed when they realize how badly they were taken, they just keep quiet about it. But my husband and I are determined to let everyone possible know about our terrible experience so that they will avoid this store at all costs.

"I'm from England and I was in search of a good price on a digital video camera, after checking prices in several midtown stores where my retailers tried to rip me off I discovered Broadway Computer, the sales staff was great and so were the prices, they had everything in stock, new not refurbished. I read the other reviews and seems that those people are just born to complain. Broadway Computer was the only store busy in times square all the other stores I walked into were empty and the sales staff stood around pacing like wolves in search of prey."

"These guys are straight-up crooks.

As an emergency measure on Christamas Eve I bought a DV camera from them for my son. Luckily, I had done quite a bit of research on the subject and knew what i wanted and how much to pay...nonetheless they still shook me down.

After hearing my requirement the guy tried to tell me I needed lenses that I didn't need and extra batteries that I didn't want. He told me that the camera I wanted cost 40% more than I know it is mostly sold at. (He finally came down to my price.)

I asked to get a sealed box but of the six Panasonic cameras they had in my model, all boxes were open.

The man then simply wouldn't listen to me that I didn't need an extra battery: when I got the box home sure enough there was no battery at all. On the Monday after Xmas I went in and said that they had sold me a camera without a battery. Another salesman tried then to give me an off-brand battery. I insisted that they give me a Panasonic battery: the man then said that Panasonic "didn't make batteries". I told him that Panasonic was one of the biggest battery manufacturers in the world and would they please stop lying to me and give me my battery.

The guy relented and said that that although the camera came with a one-hour battery, he would give me a two hour battery because I was "upset". I accepted, took it home and before opening the battery package, read the camera manual: the camera comes standard with a _four_ hour battery!

I went back again and after much polite inistence finally got the correct battery. God help me if I ever have to go back there again.

(Go to B&H. Pleasant they're not but they are basically on the level.)

"I needed a cellphone and went into this store. Explained that I wanted a tri-band phone so I could use it in Europe also and that I didn't want a real expensive one. They gave me a good deal $150 including 100 call minutes.

At the register they told me the total was $200.95 (there was a activation fee for the calling card of $35 added they didn't tell me about, and ofcourse tax). Ok, I payed the $200.95 and was walking away when another salesman said: "You still owe me $50". I went back and explained what the other sales man sold me and for what price. The other salesman said: "No, the phone was $250, not $150". I was with there with New York born and raised Patti and she was like: "Hey, I am from New York and you're not gonna rip us off! We're not gonna pay more or we'll return it and we want our money back!". The manager came and finally said: "Ok, they made a mistake, it's ok".

So you can get a good deal there, but make sure to know the right price and let the sales people make very clear what your total bill will be before you purchase anything (or make sure Patti is with you).

"If you want my adice do not go anywhere near this company. I visited New York from the UK and went in this store to buy a camera, They charged me $800 for a $400 camera, I found out about this before leaving NY and went back, They would not refund me the overcharging there and then in the store. I swapped the camera for another one and I had to pay extra. I then found out they had charged me $1350 for a $700 camera. I have wrote to them from the UK but as yet I have heard nothing. "

"This company is terrible on all accounts. They are not truthful about and product, inventory, shipping and misleading about price. Don't be sucked in by prices. You will be sorely disappointed."