Stores > Best Buy

Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.38/10 1.38/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.54/10 1.54/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.31/10 1.31/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.35/10 1.35/10

"best buy does not differentiate between in stock and backorder items. for two out of three items which i have ordered from them in the last month, two of them have been backordered. like clockwork, it takes them 5 days to acknowledge this and email me (irrespective to weekends, etc.).

anyway, as a college student, the free shipping (for all of 2003) and the rebates are key for me. unfortunately, the item is so backordered that the rebate postmark date is about to expire...

in summary, i think they can realy shape up their act.

"Seem slow to ship items. Had some damage due to poor packing."

"Free shipping may take a week or two but they do have good deals sometimes."

"ACK! Worst possible handling of a backordered/out of stock item! Ordered a CDR-W at bestbuy.com on Dec 28th. I get an email from them about a week after the order stating that the item was on backorder... no problem. On Jan 14th I get another email stating that my order has been canceled. How nice. Ya know... most places that I've bought stuff from that were as big as Best Buy will usually send you a comparable product to cover their screw-up... but not Best Buy (or as Worst Purchase... my new name for them). So being as ticked off as I was, I email them and tell them to delete my account from their database as I will not be buying anything else from them. They replied to that the next day, more than happy to delete my records. That's the problem with large chain companies... they don't care about the people as long as they're pushing boxes."

"One of my friends had a bad experience so i deided to check out by placing a small order. Frankly I find their prices to be on the higer side. but my experience was OK. item arrived in time in good condition. I will update the review after I recieve their mail-in-rebate. I think I will shop from them again if I get a good deal."

SouthEastern , USA

"Great prices with a rebate and free shipping ."

"After selling me a defective product, they were very unwilling to help me out. Instead of finding working speakers, they gave me my money back, minus 15% restocking fee and told me to order them for full price from the website. I called their Customer Service where they not only told me that they do not back up their products, but I was lied to when I asked to speak to a manager. Upset, I decided to go ahead and order the speakers from them. They then cancel my order because of some phantom error. I emailed them and the best they could do was tell me to try again. No one ever apologized for this mess. No one ever made an effort to fix anything. They kept telling me that it was up to me to fix their mistakes. I will NEVER buy ANYTHING from them again."

"I have never had a problem with Best Buy. The people that work there don't usually know too much, and a lot of the bait they put in their circulars sells out in about 5 minutes (ever been there at opening time on Sunday?), but in my town, at least, they're much better than Circuit City or CompUSA. If you don't expect too much of it, Best Buy is an okay place to buy stuff."

"Be aware BestBuy.com! They use fraudulent practice for their online store. It was the worst merchant online I have ever encoutered. They cancelled my original order which qualify for a $50 rebate and then raised the price of the item then place a new order with no rebate. All this without my consent. I have sent them numrous emails asking them not sending this new order. They insist to ship this new order which I never placed. Plus, they selected quote my words form my email to distort my email. A net priced $19.99 item now they charged my account for over $100 dollars. Be very cautious with this company! "

"Terrible buying experience. I will not buy from them again. They pulled a rebate after the laptop was delivered and now I must return the laptop as the $200 rebate they removed was what made it possible for me to buy."

This review was modified by mike1950 on December 26 2002 09:43:50 PM

"Bought a Antec Performance Plus case from Bestbuy.com. Had no problems with transaction and was received case in 5 business days. Would of been earlier but christmas came before it was shipped. Would buy from them again.

I would recommend buying from bestbuy.com.

**I must remind you that majority of these comments are from people who has have problems with individual Best Buy STORES not problems with buying products from BESTBUY.COM.**

This review was modified by vince916 on December 26 2002 01:37:25 PM

"BestBuy sold me an item and confirmed the sale. Nearly a month later they told me that they never had the item. They were not helpful. At that point it was too late to get the item somewhere else for a Christmas present."

"I purchased on BestBuy.com the Toshiba Satellite Notebook 1905-S301 for $1,499. It included three rebates of $300, $200, and $100. Here is the link to the notebook:

Here is the link to the three rebates:

At the time of the sale, it stated on the web page that it was "In Stock - Usually ships in 2-3 business days".

However, five days later, today, I received an email from BestBuy.com regarding the rebates. Here it is:

Dear Best Buy Customer,

Thank you for your recent request to order a Toshiba Satellite Notebook. BestBuy.com recently advertised several savings opportunities, including mail-in rebates, on our site for a variety of notebooks. The Toshiba notebook you ordered was eligible for the following: $100 in instant savings, $100 Toshiba mail-in rebate and a $300 Best Buy mail-in rebate. However, an error on our site showed that the Toshiba notebook came with an additional $200 Best Buy mail-in rebate. This mail-in rebate is not valid on Toshiba notebooks. Due to the nature of the error and in accordance with our Terms of Service, we are canceling your request to order this Toshiba notebook. To review our Terms of Service, please visit: http://www.bestbuy.com/infoCenter/Policies/TOSlegal.asp?b=0.

For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a $25.00 digital coupon, which we encourage you to use to save money on your next purchase at BestBuy.com. The digital coupon will be sent to you today, December 23rd, via email.

We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to www.BestBuy.com.

Best wishes from Best Buy,

The Customer Care Team

I heard I was one of hundreds of people who got this. This is typical of this poorly run company. They bait & switch or bait & cancel orders all the time! Especially these make believe deals. Case in point, the GEForce Video card fiasco in February 2002. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!

If anybody knows if this action is illegal, I would be very interested in a class action lawsuit.

"I visited the store and found all of my items in stock. Half of the registers were open and the line wrapped around the racetrack of the store. I had read of the on-line ordering and pickup at customer service. I checked out the customer service line (2 customers) and decided to purchase on-line and pick it up at customer service. I placed the order( All items were in stock per the on-line ordering ) gave my credit information and then received a conflicting series of email. The first said that the orders were placed and in-stock. The second indicated that none of the items that I ordered were at the store. I called the store and they indicated that they had no information on my order. I then asked if the items were in stock and the CS staff told me yes. I then called Bestbuy.com and after several calls and an approximate 2.5 hrs of wait time I was connected to Byron at Bestbuy.com. Byron looked up the items and confirmed that all but possibly one was in stock. I then asked him why I received the information that the items were not available. He told me that many of the stores send out this information because the store managers do not want to honor Bestbuy.com orders because their store does not received revenue for BestBuy.com orders. I then conferenced the store manager ( I think Jayson ) of the Montrose Oh. store with Byron and I. He indicated that the information was correct. In addition he sarcastically commented that if I wanted the items I could come in and purchase them from the store and buy them like everyone else. What the *#@&&^!)(!. 1, I followed the program. 2, Why do you have a service that your internal operations do not support? 3, I spent apx. 6 hours on this transaction. 4, I have to spend another x amount of time shopping your competitors to get what I want and by the way I have to do this on Christmas Eve. 5, Your corporate in-fighting has alienated a loyal BestBuy customer and I will not be back unless you make this right. 6, If you do not work to resolve this I will publish an a letter to the editor to every PC publication and newspaper that I can find . Folks if I were a Best Buy Exec I would be furious with this behavior of my staff. Transaction information,

Unfortunately, the items you ordered were not found at our store. Please contact our Customer Care representatives at onlinestore@bestbuy.com or toll-free at 1-888-BESTBUY (1-888-237-8289) to check product availability at other locations, or we'll be happy to ship those items to you free of charge.
Order Date: Dec 21, 2002

Item Subtotal: $34.99
Tax: $2.02
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Order Total: $37.01

"I have a complaint about your sales/service staff. Today I went to return a pair of non-functional headphones I purchased at your store just a few days ago. I also intended to do the rest of my Christmas shopping after I was finished with the return.

The person who was behind the return desk called up a man in a nice suit (I belive his name was Gervik) to authohorize the return. This man (Gervik) proceeded to tell the return clerk that Best Buy does not stock the item I was returning, even tho I had the reciept in front of me, and could tell him what isle and what shelf I got them from. So, I interupted and said "excuse me, I did buy those here, I can show you the shelf where I got them from". At this time Gervik turned to me and said "Shut Up. I am not talking to you" in a VERY RUDE MANNER. So, I waited for Gervik to leave, and asked to talk to a store manager. I told the store manager my story, he asked the return clerk if Gervik had actually told me to "shut up". The return clerk (obviously a friend of Gervik) denied it. Now, I understand that perhaps the return clerk is younger, and does not have young children, so his ears may not be "trained" to listen for the words "shut up" like a father with two young boys. So the manager told me "Sorry, he says it didn't happen. I've got a witness, there's nothing I can do".

Back it the 70's when I was trained in retail, The first thing I learned was "The customer is always right". I guess things are different now. I guess it's OK now for sales staff and management to be rude to customers.

So, to make a long story short, I did end up getting my return made. I then went down the street to the brand new Circuit City and proceeded to spend the $2,500 I was planing on spending at Best Buy.

So, I guess I'd like to thank your staff. because otherwise, I'd have never gone to Circuit City, and would have never had learned what exelent service and staff they have at Circuit City. You have lost a loyal customer forever.

A former BestBuy customer

Share Best Buy's store rating

Best Buy is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!