Stores > Best Buy

Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.83/10 2.83/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.37/10 3.37/10

2002-11-23

"Bait and switch. Salesman promised to honor the rebate after substituting part of a computer package, then I couldn't get the rebate. Will never buy from them again."

2002-11-19

"Ordered 11/8 to be delivered by "UPS 2nd Day" and tracking predicted arrival 11/12th. No goods by 11/14 so I called BestBuy.com and was told "Well, we'll put a trace on it and email you in 3-4 days". The only email I got after > 4days has been:
"We are happy to assist you in tracking your UPS package." (!)

They refused to send another item to me until the original trace is done. Time course of this plan: indeterminate. They have my funds as
of day of shipment, 11/9/02.

2002-11-14

"Victim of blatant bait-and-switch from earlier this year."

2002-11-13

"Pathetic Best Buy service for computer products

"PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANY SERVICE PLAN FOM BEST BUY".

If you don't believe me, read my sad story.

I had purchased a HP laptop from Best Buy in June 2002. With in 1st 5 months it developed some hardware problem with the monitor. Since I had purchased the Best Buy Service Plan for 230$s, I took the laptop to Best Buy hoping that their service will be faster than to send it to manufacturer and getting it back.

To my surprise, I was informed that since the laptop was under manufacturer's warranty, Best Buy will only test it for the s/w problem and then will mail it to the manufacturer for actual repairs. Thus expected delivery date was after 4 weeks. (I had submitted the laptop on 3rd October, and expected date of delivery was 28th October).

I was also told that I will be kept informed by the store by phone. After 2 weeks of inactivity from store, when I started calling store / customer support, I was just tossed from one department to other department, with average wait time on each phone call varying between 10-20 mins. (I am not joking, I have documented the dates, and time).

1st I was made to feel like a fool, for trying to contact Best Buy before 28th October, while "their technical staff was supposed to be doing their best to perform diagnostic testing on the hardware (for more than 20 days)."

Then finally on 4th November, I received some response to my 9th call, saying that today Best Buy has shipped my laptop. Not to the store for pickup, but to the HP for repairs. This Best Buy kept my laptop at the service center for whole month for diagnostic testing.

When I insisted on knowing the details of kind of tests performed, and results, I was put on hold for 12 mins (while the customer service representative was trying to find information herself). Then I was informed that Service center had a big backlog and they did not perform any tests on my laptop for at least 3 weeks. Thus all the times, when I was told that my laptop was under diagnostic tests, it was a blatant lie, and it was just kept on shelf.

When I inquired about the new expected date of delivery, I was told that there is no way Best Buy can tell me the date, and I should just wait for a call from Best Buy. When I asked for the tracking number, so that I could have called and followed up with HP myself, I was told that Best Buy does not have any such information that can be given to me, and I should just wait for the call.

When I tried to explain the problem I was facing due to delays, I was advised by the customer support representative, that I should have bought a desktop as a backup for the laptop, if I had planned to use the laptop for any serious work, rather than just playing games or surfing internet.

Thus to cut a long story short, I have paid dearly for believing in the salesman from Best Buy that spending 230$s to purchase the service contract is a way of getting quick and reliable service. Not only that my money is wasted, but I have lost 5 weeks of my time, due to the red tapes at Best Buy.

On top of this, are the responses from their store representatives, and customer support staff.

SO now even after 44 days after giving my laptop for repairs, not only that I don't have my laptop back, but I also don't know if I will have to wait for another week or month for getting it back.

I hope some future buyers read this story before they suffer same fate.

Regards.

This review was modified by bestbuysucks on November 13 2002 11:17:24 AM

Lockport, IL
2002-11-12

"I was badly insulted at Bestbuy. They are horrible people to deal with. I was with my father looking to purchase a laptop cash. My father and I walked over the to laptops. (Remind you he's a computer expert.) I entered the laptop section first. The two very rude boys that were working behind the counter commented quote "Look at her, she's too young and she can't afford it. She's dreaming." My father came walking up, they rushed near his side and started asking how they can help him. They didn't know we were together. I stood over his shoulder while he was talking and the boys yelled at me to leave because I was annoying the customers. I started to say something and they looked like they were going to usher me out the door. I stood straight up and said "Dad, I don't like these people let's go over the Circuit City where they are helpful." My dad was pissed at the way the treated me. We went up and complained to the manager. He just shrugged and walked away. So we went over to Circuit City and I spent close to $4000.00 in Laptop and accessories. "

California
2002-11-10

""In-store pickup" sounds good but in my experience is an invitation to problems. Your receipt will show a vague description of the item ordered rather than a stock number, making mistakes or unauthorized substitutions difficult to detect."

This review was modified by sithscripter on November 10 2002 02:33:51 AM

2002-11-07

"PreOrdered GTAIII: Vice City for PS2 for only $40. Didn't have to go to the crowded store and got a new game delivered w/ free shipping for less than the usual price of a new game ($50). I've ordered a few games for the PS2 from them and a joypad for the PC and all experiences have been good. One of the PS2 game cases arrived with the one of the inside manual tabs broken but for free shipping I'm still satisfied."

Northern California
2002-11-06

"Ordered a Buslink DVD from them in early Oct. Item was back ordered and the sent email to inform me of the delay. Order did come but it takes forever with their shipping (USPS). Overall I'm happy about the purchase , but I had a rebate on the item and was afraid they would not deliver in time. Just remember that it will take time for them to get it to you. Better to do in-store pick up instead."

2002-11-06

"Very satisfied *again* with online order from Hawaii. I ordered 100pc CDR spindle + Dungeon Siege (game) and was only charged $5 for 2nd day shipping to Hawaii. Ordered on wednesday and products came on friday, unprecedented for Hawaii."

This review was modified by crimneo on January 25 2003 01:15:03 PM

2002-11-04

"I never had a problem with Best Buy retail stores and now I can say the same about BestBuy.com. Some people have complained about tech support/customer service at Best Buy, but I have never had to use them because I know exactly what I want. Therefore, I go into the store, get what I want, and get out or go to their web site, put what I want in my shopping cart, check out, and wait for my package to arrive. I recently ordered blank CD-R discs for a low price and received the package 6 business days later, which is within their quoted time margin for ground delivery. The discs work well, the price, as I said, was very low, and the shipping time was satisfactory especially since it was free! I will buy from them again."

2002-11-01

"I have bought numerous products from best buy in the past, without a problem at all:), the absolute best part about there site is the lack of Hasseling sales clerks to buy their service contracts,products are usually in stock and ship very promptly,,"

No Tact's Avatar

Nevada
2002-10-31

"I am still pissed they dissed me, false advertising, on my $129.99 sale on the new GeForce 4 card.

Bitches.

2002-10-23

"The shipping is like taking for ever. "

2002-10-09

"Beware, un-informed teenage customer services reps who know nothing!!! Whether it's in the store or on-line, their customer service agents are totally clueless, I tried to order some RAM on-line and was told by the customer service person totally bogus information about compatibiliy, when I went to a store in the Los Angeles area, a pimply faced teenager with a very bad attitude treated me like a complete moron, eventhough I went into the store with nothing but a smile on my face and some questions. Go with Newegg if you want good, reliable service."

2002-10-09

"Ordered a Cd-Rw and CD-r's, BestBuy Customer serv. Reps just refused to tell me the item was on backorder. Finally after speaking to Jackalyn she suggested it could take 30 days. I gave up and canceled the order.(although they did ship the CD-r's)

If you need PC parts from a reliable vendor, WWW.NEWEGG.COM

BestBuy lives up to thier 2.02 Lifetime rating.

Share Best Buy's store rating

Best Buy is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!