Stores > Best Buy

Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.79/10 1.79/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.79/10 1.79/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 2.34/10 2.34/10

2002-12-26

"Terrible buying experience. I will not buy from them again. They pulled a rebate after the laptop was delivered and now I must return the laptop as the $200 rebate they removed was what made it possible for me to buy."

This review was modified by mike1950 on December 26 2002 09:43:50 PM

2002-12-26

"Bought a Antec Performance Plus case from Bestbuy.com. Had no problems with transaction and was received case in 5 business days. Would of been earlier but christmas came before it was shipped. Would buy from them again.

I would recommend buying from bestbuy.com.

**I must remind you that majority of these comments are from people who has have problems with individual Best Buy STORES not problems with buying products from BESTBUY.COM.**

This review was modified by vince916 on December 26 2002 01:37:25 PM

2002-12-26

"BestBuy sold me an item and confirmed the sale. Nearly a month later they told me that they never had the item. They were not helpful. At that point it was too late to get the item somewhere else for a Christmas present."

2002-12-23

"I purchased on BestBuy.com the Toshiba Satellite Notebook 1905-S301 for $1,499. It included three rebates of $300, $200, and $100. Here is the link to the notebook:

Here is the link to the three rebates:

At the time of the sale, it stated on the web page that it was "In Stock - Usually ships in 2-3 business days".

However, five days later, today, I received an email from BestBuy.com regarding the rebates. Here it is:

Dear Best Buy Customer,

Thank you for your recent request to order a Toshiba Satellite Notebook. BestBuy.com recently advertised several savings opportunities, including mail-in rebates, on our site for a variety of notebooks. The Toshiba notebook you ordered was eligible for the following: $100 in instant savings, $100 Toshiba mail-in rebate and a $300 Best Buy mail-in rebate. However, an error on our site showed that the Toshiba notebook came with an additional $200 Best Buy mail-in rebate. This mail-in rebate is not valid on Toshiba notebooks. Due to the nature of the error and in accordance with our Terms of Service, we are canceling your request to order this Toshiba notebook. To review our Terms of Service, please visit: http://www.bestbuy.com/infoCenter/Policies/TOSlegal.asp?b=0.

For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a $25.00 digital coupon, which we encourage you to use to save money on your next purchase at BestBuy.com. The digital coupon will be sent to you today, December 23rd, via email.

We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to www.BestBuy.com.

Best wishes from Best Buy,

The Customer Care Team

I heard I was one of hundreds of people who got this. This is typical of this poorly run company. They bait & switch or bait & cancel orders all the time! Especially these make believe deals. Case in point, the GEForce Video card fiasco in February 2002. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!

If anybody knows if this action is illegal, I would be very interested in a class action lawsuit.

2002-12-23

"I visited the store and found all of my items in stock. Half of the registers were open and the line wrapped around the racetrack of the store. I had read of the on-line ordering and pickup at customer service. I checked out the customer service line (2 customers) and decided to purchase on-line and pick it up at customer service. I placed the order( All items were in stock per the on-line ordering ) gave my credit information and then received a conflicting series of email. The first said that the orders were placed and in-stock. The second indicated that none of the items that I ordered were at the store. I called the store and they indicated that they had no information on my order. I then asked if the items were in stock and the CS staff told me yes. I then called Bestbuy.com and after several calls and an approximate 2.5 hrs of wait time I was connected to Byron at Bestbuy.com. Byron looked up the items and confirmed that all but possibly one was in stock. I then asked him why I received the information that the items were not available. He told me that many of the stores send out this information because the store managers do not want to honor Bestbuy.com orders because their store does not received revenue for BestBuy.com orders. I then conferenced the store manager ( I think Jayson ) of the Montrose Oh. store with Byron and I. He indicated that the information was correct. In addition he sarcastically commented that if I wanted the items I could come in and purchase them from the store and buy them like everyone else. What the *#@&&^!)(!. 1, I followed the program. 2, Why do you have a service that your internal operations do not support? 3, I spent apx. 6 hours on this transaction. 4, I have to spend another x amount of time shopping your competitors to get what I want and by the way I have to do this on Christmas Eve. 5, Your corporate in-fighting has alienated a loyal BestBuy customer and I will not be back unless you make this right. 6, If you do not work to resolve this I will publish an a letter to the editor to every PC publication and newspaper that I can find . Folks if I were a Best Buy Exec I would be furious with this behavior of my staff. Transaction information,

Unfortunately, the items you ordered were not found at our store. Please contact our Customer Care representatives at onlinestore@bestbuy.com or toll-free at 1-888-BESTBUY (1-888-237-8289) to check product availability at other locations, or we'll be happy to ship those items to you free of charge.
ORDER NUMBER: 4420600

Shipping & Handling: $0.00
------------------------------
Order Total: $37.01

2002-12-22

"I have a complaint about your sales/service staff. Today I went to return a pair of non-functional headphones I purchased at your store just a few days ago. I also intended to do the rest of my Christmas shopping after I was finished with the return.

The person who was behind the return desk called up a man in a nice suit (I belive his name was Gervik) to authohorize the return. This man (Gervik) proceeded to tell the return clerk that Best Buy does not stock the item I was returning, even tho I had the reciept in front of me, and could tell him what isle and what shelf I got them from. So, I interupted and said "excuse me, I did buy those here, I can show you the shelf where I got them from". At this time Gervik turned to me and said "Shut Up. I am not talking to you" in a VERY RUDE MANNER. So, I waited for Gervik to leave, and asked to talk to a store manager. I told the store manager my story, he asked the return clerk if Gervik had actually told me to "shut up". The return clerk (obviously a friend of Gervik) denied it. Now, I understand that perhaps the return clerk is younger, and does not have young children, so his ears may not be "trained" to listen for the words "shut up" like a father with two young boys. So the manager told me "Sorry, he says it didn't happen. I've got a witness, there's nothing I can do".

Back it the 70's when I was trained in retail, The first thing I learned was "The customer is always right". I guess things are different now. I guess it's OK now for sales staff and management to be rude to customers.

So, to make a long story short, I did end up getting my return made. I then went down the street to the brand new Circuit City and proceeded to spend the $2,500 I was planing on spending at Best Buy.

So, I guess I'd like to thank your staff. because otherwise, I'd have never gone to Circuit City, and would have never had learned what exelent service and staff they have at Circuit City. You have lost a loyal customer forever.

A former BestBuy customer

Los Angeles
2002-12-19

"I went to the local Best Buy store on Black Friday to get the 17" Samsung 171v. It was about $550, but there was a $149 rebate good until the end of that weekend. The store was out of them. I thought wouldn't be able to get one. When I visited their online site, they offered the same deal. Well, I figured I'd order it for pickup at the local store. I knew that this store was out, but since the online site said it would only allow me to pick up at a store with the product I thought there would be some shipped there soon.

After I ordered, an e-mail told me that the local store didn't have one. I called up Customer Support for BestBuy.com and had two options: switch the order to another store (which was about an hour away) or have it delivered. BUT the order would have to be cancelled first, then re-ordered to have it delivered. What's the point other than to cheat me out of a good deal? I had already ordered it. They could keep the order information while changing the final destination. This was after the rebate promotion expired. I didn't want to lose my order date. So I repeatedly called the store up to see when they would get a delivery. I showed them my reciept and the exact item I ordered. Twice I was told it would come in. Twice I left the store empty-handed. Can't they get their inventory right? Most big retail companies have electronic inventory systems that let them know exactly when new product comes in. You would think Best Buy could invest in this. After a week of no monitor, I decided I would pick it up at the next closest store.

Best Buy sent me an e-mail telling me that they couldn't get the order through because my credit card purchase was declined. I called my credit card company and found that it was because of fraud prevention protocols. Best Buy was required to call the order in personally to confirm the validity of the order. They didn't. Then they cancelled my order. They didn't so much as call me to let me sort things out first.

So, I tried talking to the BestBuy.com customer service again. They didn't help. I asked for a manager. The representative told me that his manager had no more authority than he did and refused to hand me to anyone. I talked to Best Buy's rebates department. No help. Then I called their non-800 support number and left a complaint. It's supposed to be reviewed by management. They certainly aren't speedy, if they even read or get complaints. This was about a week-and-a-half ago.

I tend to think that perhaps others might have been cheated on this too (a sort of day-after rebate reluctance, I suppose).

I WAS a pretty loyal Best Buy customer, but I think that I'll only shop there when forced to (like if someone gave me a gift card).

rpertusio's Avatar

Hershey, PA
2002-12-13

"Although many bad comments about BestBuy, I have always had good experience with them.

Website: The site is incredibly easy to use, and makes ordering online very easy. Prices are very reasonable. The greatest deals come in rebates. (Yes, the rebates DO come. Its a matter of patience for them to arrive.)

Order Availability/Status: You can safely determine the availability of a product. I have found that it is very accurate. (Ex: If an item is listed to ship 5-7 days, it is very likely that they will ship in 5-7 days.. no more, no less.)

Checking your order status couldnt be easier. It is kept up-to-date. If there are any status changes in your order, you are sent an informative email.

The ease of tracking your package is dependant on the shipping service used. If BestBuy chooses to ship FedEx, then tracking your package is extremely easy. If BestBuy chooses to ship USPS, then it is a bit harder to find out where your package is (partly due to limitations of the USPS.)

Packaging: Strangely, I always seem to get my items in oversized boxes. I can't complain, as they are still packed well with plenty of packing material (nothing loose).

Other than a suggestion of finding appropriate sized boxes for shipping, I have had no other gripes! I will continue to purchase from BestBuy.

2002-12-10

"Ordered a Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox. The local store did not have it (it was not available for delivery, only for pickup), but I received an email that if I ordered it again they would ship it to me. Of course, this did not work, because I would have had to order it online. After a week, and three emails from three different sales reps, the mail in rebate was no longer valid for the item. I was quite upset with this, so I will not buy from them again."

2002-12-08

"I've seen the best and worst of BB. I will say it goes store-by-store because there are some stores (Okemos, MI) that I will _never_ frequent due to pushy and unknowledgeable (or unforthcoming with real answers) sales people. I have, however, had the opportunity to go to other BB's that are top-notch. Even their newest store in my area (Lansing, MI) with new sales people is great. They are knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to teach me about the products and they don't get irritated with simple questions. In Michigan I would suggest the Lansing, Traverse City, Muskegon and Novi stores. Steer clear of the East Lansing, Grand Rapids (on 28th), and Jackson store.

A few other notes;

The "performance service plan" is good, but only on higher priced items. I bought a 3 yr "PSP" on an all-in-one printer/scanner/fax (HP 950) and the bulb died within months. The techs were able to repair it within 2 days in the store. I have yet to experience a tech tell me that since the product was under the manuf. warranty that it needs to be sent there, they have _always_ taken care of the problem in-store or at worst, at the Detroit service center (it took 10 days to fix a dvd player, but still fairly reasonable).

"Product Replacement Program" is good for easily broken stuff, it cost me 10 dollars to buy a PRP on a 2.4 ghz cordless phone and i have replaced it twice in the last 2 years, well worth the 10 dollars.

All in all, BB is a good store if you can find a local one with decent employees, the decisive factor seems to be if they enjoy the products they are selling and the work environment they are in. The Lansing store has a manager that joked openly about how sucky a certain "value" cd/rw manufacturer was which made it much easier for the sales person to give me his honest opinion. The fact that BB employees are not on commission also helps in this regard, I am more likely to get a "don't buy that junk" from a BB employee then a Circuit City or Staples employee simply because the kids don’t see their checks shrinking when they tell a customer not to buy a particular brand or item.

This review was modified by crazy_c on December 08 2002 10:45:05 PM

2002-12-03

"As part of my campaign against mail-in rebates I post a slightly lowered rating for BB. I tried to buy a Mag 17" flat panel in Sep 2002, at $530 with a $130 rebate. By the time the monitor was finally in stock on 10/15, the rebate had expired, and to make a long story short, the coupon I sent off was rejected as out of date by the BB rebate center and returned to me 11/27.

Now here's why I like buying computer equipment at BB: I went down to the store and an assistant manager took care of it right away and credited my credit card for the rebate.

You pay a premium, and the selection is limited, but being able to deal with a human who has been trained how to deal with customers can be worth a premium.

BB also sells mostly name brands; this may be helpful if you have a warranty problem. You will NEVER get service for a no-name cheap-a** chinese computer when your motherboard fails - you're on your own!

I still think mail-in rebates are a scam. Just sell the item at a discount.

This review was modified by wsanders1 on December 03 2002 12:15:05 PM

2002-11-27

" I ordered an Iriver mp3 player because the website said it was in stock and would ship in 2-3days. I planned on picking it up at my local ("

2002-11-23

"Bait and switch. Salesman promised to honor the rebate after substituting part of a computer package, then I couldn't get the rebate. Will never buy from them again."

2002-11-19

"Ordered 11/8 to be delivered by "UPS 2nd Day" and tracking predicted arrival 11/12th. No goods by 11/14 so I called BestBuy.com and was told "Well, we'll put a trace on it and email you in 3-4 days". The only email I got after > 4days has been:
"We are happy to assist you in tracking your UPS package." (!)

They refused to send another item to me until the original trace is done. Time course of this plan: indeterminate. They have my funds as
of day of shipment, 11/9/02.

2002-11-14

"Victim of blatant bait-and-switch from earlier this year."

Share Best Buy's store rating

Best Buy is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!