• Best Buy

Chance of future purchase: Rating 0.46/10 0.46/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.04/10 1.04/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.16/10 0.16/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.19/10 0.19/10

"Yet another of the GeForce 4 customers. WorstBuy refuses to honor their price. "

"On February 6, 2002 Bestbuy.com placed an advertisement for a VisionTek Xtasy Geforce4 Graphics Accelerator for a special pre-order price of $129.99. In accordance with the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) this listing constituted a clear invitation by Best Buy for customers to offer to purchase the card at the aforementioned stated price.

On February 6, 2002 I submitted an agreement to purchase this card through the website, in anticipation that the card would be delivered after March 4th. Note that this was a clear agreement to purchase on my behalf. BestBuy.com clearly accepted my offer to buy through acceptance of my personal information, sending a confirmation email with order number, and placing a reserve on my available credit line. Note that BestBuy.com sent a back-order notice to me on February 11th of 2002, further confirming the original order. Thus a legally binding contract was formed between BestBuy.com and myself.

On February 11th of 2002 I was informed by e-mail that “a recent systems error” allowed me to purchase the card and “due to the nature of this error, we have canceled your order for this item”. Subsequent communications with Best Buy Customer Care referred me to Best Buy’s Terms of Service Agreement, which states that BestBuy.com was not responsible for pricing errors on its website.

It is my understanding that several customers called to confirm the $129.00 price prior to ordering the item at the BestBuy.com website. The price was later confirmed again by telephone by website www.hardocp.com.

To add insult to injury BestBuy.com gave my personal information to marketing firm cheetamail.com. At no time during or after the transaction was I consulted about the transfer of the information, and, if I had been consulted I would have refused.

The “Terms of Service” agreement cited by BestBuy.com was not located in a conspicuous location within the website. The web page for the TOS does not launch automatically during customer login and signup. According to the Federal Trade Commission, TOS agreements of this type MUST be listed prominently within website or other publications in order to be valid.

BestBuy.com’s cancellation of my order therefore constituted a breach of contract. Please note that the failure to honor the aforementioned contract is illegal because 1) the transaction met all guidelines set forth in the Uniform Commercial Code and in consumer protection regulations in the states of Minnesota and Pennsylvania; and 2) because the Terms of Service Agreement was inconspicuous, such that there was no way for me to agree to it formally.

"Responded to Advertisment for VisionTek TI 4600 video card for special pre-order price of $129.
Called Customer service Twice to verify. Ordered the card but a week later my order was cancelled.
My personal info was also sold to Cheatah mail during this process.
The only response they are will to give anyone I have talked to about this problem is the claim that their TOS covers them from any legal and moral duty to the consumer. BB clearly profited from the sale of my personal information while hiding behind their hidden TOS. If this were an isolated incident, then I would be able to have understanding. This is only one of many time Best Buy has pulled such tactics to get consumer info and sales based on misleading or false advertisement of price.

"Best Buy has refused to honor their sale price. They cancelled my order, were vague about their reasons, and generally lied to me. They held funds on my CC and would not re-instated my order. They tried to bait-and-switch me with a higher price than the agreed upon price."

Ann Arbor

"GeForce4 4600 buyer. Ordered. Money blocked. Order cancelled. Recieved nothing but form letters since. Contacted BBB, MN and MI AG offices. They also broke their privacy agreement by giving my email to Cheetah direct marketing."

"terrible company, did not honor price mistakes"

"along with the other 2000+ known people that have tried to purchase the gf4 at the "special" price.. i was also denied my purchase. the company takes no responsibility for their actions at all and continue to have "mistakes" in their pricing. for example, a weeks or two ago, they were selling a 50+ inch tv for about $500. the only thing is that there was no location that they would ship to. NO WHERE. then a few days later, they again raise the price with no comment"

"I purchased the visiontek geforce4 ti4600 card and preordered Harry Potter on DVD at the same time. I received a notice that my order was confirmed, one that said it was on order, and another that said it was on backorder.

Then they canceled my entire order. The Harry Potter DVD was supposed to come with a $10 Gift Card, and I'm unable to get that same deal now, since they canceled my order AFTER the deale expired.

So in one order, Best Buy.com screwed me out of my video card, and a savings on the DVD.

Buy putting a hold on the money in my account, they accpted my order. They should be made to fulfill it!

"I also ordered one of these cards at their "special pre-order price". I just want the product I ordered at the price that they offered."

"This order is for a Visiontek GF4 Ti4600 that was cancelled."

"I also ordered a Visiontek Ti4600 from Bestbuy.com and they cancelled my order at their advertised sale price of $129. My repeated attempts to email the company left me with nothing more than canned responses claiming a "system error" was responsible for a pricing mistake. Later, a spokesman for the company called it human error.

Bestbuy also advertised the same card at their stores for $179. Another pricing error that just happened to be on the same product?

There was also a TV (normally priced at over $1,000) advertised for a little over $500 on their web site about a month ago. Those who ordered that item also had their orders cancelled.

I'm not happy with how Best Buy has handled this and, like many, will be taking my buisness elsewhere. What they saved in not honoring their advertised price will end up costing them a lot more as I spend plenty on online purchases each year. Do yourself a favor and avoid Best Buy.

"You can count myself as a very upset Best Buy customer. I was one of the many to be ingored and pushed aside by ignorant reps and mass impersonal rejection emails over the recent GeForce 4 fiasco. Best Buy should take a tip from Gateway, and learn that when YOU make a mistake, you don't make your customers suffer for it. They need to take responsibility for their own actions and errors and not simply cancel over 2000 orders that were placed under the pretense that a sale contract had been made."

Illinois

"I placed an order with Bestbuy.com that has caused me nothing but troubles. The order was cancelled and it took 2 weeks to get my money back from them."

"Ok.. I see moonsee has already left a comment.. but I want to add my 2 cents to what he said.. I ordered a gf4 card and i received confirmation.. in email and over the phone.. also got 2 backordered notices.. finally got a canceled email late at night i might add making it harder to reply right away. All this and its been over a month and they still haven't come up with a resolution. Take a gander over at http://hypothermia.gamershardware.com/articles/bestbuy_gf4deal.html for more information on their practices.. I will never buy anything from their store again.. I went to the local store in my area and calmly asked the manager to pricematch the price. Which if you visit that page you will see numerous people have had their deals honored.. anyways the manager at the local store accused me of arguing with her. which was totally untrue.. she just couldnt give me a REAL answer as to what was going on .. why would one store honor it and another not honor it.. Really they have bad customer service.. a uneducated sales staff (flunkies) and serious problems w/their online store.. One error i can understand.. but numerous errors almost every month.. c'mon now.. this is getting old.. the BBB claims they have no complaints against bestbuy but how is that when i got a letter in the mail abouy my complaint??? There are over 2100+ people who had their orders canceled for what they call 'computer error' then call it 'human error' and now I have received an email stating 'we cannot honor the sale price' "

"Uneducated staff"

Share Best Buy's store rating

Best Buy is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!