Stores > Ting
  • Ting

Chance of future purchase: Rating 7.50/10 7.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 7.50/10 7.50/10
Voice your opinion! Review Ting by clicking a star below.
2017-07-31

Almost but not quite perfect.

"Yes, you will almost certainly save money. We had two phones and were averaging about 42 dollars a month. Setup and such were far, far easier for me than Straight Talk (from whom I was switching).

I left Straight Talk because their network was incompatible with some web services I needed to use. Don't ask me why; it didn't appear to be any sort of anti DDOS thing blocking their network; it just straight up wouldn't play nice with Kerberos and one of the other systems my university was using. No problems at all with Ting.

Coverage was good for most of my time using Ting. I was on a GSM phone, which meant T-mobile...but since I was going for something I could use internationally, it wasn't a T-mobile specific phone...no 1700mhz (only T-mobile uses that, so most phones don't have it). This mostly didn't cause any problems. I mean maybe I had slower internet than I would have a lot of the time, but I didn't care. I wasn't streaming.

The problem came when I went back to Kingman, AZ after leaving for a while. Coverage had been perfectly adequate when I lived there for most of 2016. When I went back in 2017, though, I found my phone no longer worked almost everywhere in town. At first I blamed my POS phone (known connectivity issues on the Moto G2), but I never had the problem anywhere else. It had to be changes to the T-mobile network in that area. They dropped coverage that they had previously had there...I'm guessing if most of the area was covered, it was only by 1700mhz.

Anyway, my phone became useless in one of the major areas I needed to use it.

The other problem is what I'm going through right now. I'm on hold trying to get my service canceled. Can't do it online. You can do everything else online, but you can't cancel service. Really nice thing to have to do in the middle of a move, right? I've made the mistake of doing it from overseas, thinking I'd hold on to my phone service until I knew I was clear. Now I'm sure AT&T or Verizon or whoever else would be as bad about this or worse. I mean Ting didn't try to convince me not to cancel despite knowing I no longer have any possible way to use their service. It's not like Ting is doing anything especially bad here. It's just that they sell themselves as being easier, and apart from this they are.

I'd recommend them if you're not using GSM, or if you have a phone which does 1700 mhz, or you never plan to take your phone to the boonies. I mean even with this cancellation thing they're miles ahead of any other company I've used in the US.

2015-03-13

"I've been using Ting service, since July 2014. I have saved a lot of money on my smartphone bill. I average between $14 as lowest to $30 as highest (with all taxes included) depending on how much talk, text, and data I use. Ting uses Sprint's network for CDMA phones, and they're currently in open beta with GSM network with the support for GSM unlocked smartphones.

Ting has no contract plans, so you must buy a smartphone at full price or a used clean ESN smartphone from Ebay. You must buy a CDMA (for Sprint's devices) or GSM sim card from them, and they only ship with Fedex. $9 each + pay for shipping. There are some problems if you decide to use a regular cellphone, you should buy the regular cellphone from Ting because those are 100% guaranteed to activate and work.

There is no fee for activation other than buying Ting's SIM card(s) for your smartphones you plan to use. They have excellent customer service. You can always email them and expect a reply back, and they keep in contact with you until it's been resolved. You can always give them a call and talk to a real person, but Ting's business has been booming, so you will have to wait in line. They have a community forum section with guides on how to activate your phone.

If you're a person who wants or needs a smartphone but can't afford the fixed monthly contract plan and don't consume a lot of data then Ting is for you if you're willing to buy a smartphone at full price or for less with as a used phone with clean ESN.

Share Ting's store rating

Ting is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Ting is not a merchant member
Ting does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!