"I ordered a used book to pick up in store. The website through my campus says there was a used one available. I go to the bookstore on campus and I'm told it's a brand new book, there are no used copies available. Ok....class starts this week. I call efollett (after searching endlessly for customer service number...I would keep it a secret too if my service was so terrible) and this is the conversation:

me: I'd like to know the status of my order
efollet: It's "in process".
me: So what does that mean?
efollet: Someone is putting it in the box and getting ready to ship it.
me: Who is? Where is it shipping from? What is the lead time?
efollet: oh, we don't know that...

So who does know? The campus bookstore doesn't know either. No one would help cancel my order. Apparently, if and when a used copy becomes available they will charge my card and ship it out.
Well, of course a used edition will be available eventually, everyone in my class will return theirs at the end of the semester.

"Absolutely pathetic service and overall company. "

modified review This review was modified by smallbizzowner on September 08 2013 05:11:11 AM

"I'm in wholehearted accord with the other reviewers, this company is TERRIBLE! Don't use their buyback service; they offer a certain price for your books, you send said books then they decline to pay you the amount you've agreed on. They told me that one of my textbooks, one in pristine condition as far as I could tell, could inexplicably no longer be accepted. When I asked for the book back so that I could sell it elsewhere, they refused, citing their policy that once you've sent them the books they can pretty much keep them and not pay you for them! This all occurred, by the way, nearly a month after they received my books, ignored my emails and repeatedly transferred my calls to the "buyback department" voice-mail; of course, my messages were never returned. I count myself lucky to be finally getting any money from them, of course it hasn't arrived yet.

By the way, in case you don't heed my advice: they don't publish any numbers and they absolutely WON'T give you the "buyback department's" phone number, so here are a couple that I dug up after a great deal of research:

800-381-5151 general customer service from what I can tell
855-899-1001 who knows? the 'some lady who works close enough to the buyback department to physically walk over and see why they aren't answering the phone and then come back, offer to transfer you, but refuse again to give you the phone number and ultimately hang up on you' department

"I ordered a used copy of the text for my Statistics class from efollett on 10/31/11 to be shipped Priority Mail. I called twice to track it; today is 11/20/11 and their customer service 800-266-8398 CST 7a-9p put in a request to send it (hopefully) via express mail to arrive 11/23/11. Today is wk 5 of an 8-wk online course. Warning: call their customer service to discuss shipping of your text book asap & make them track the progress....really poor shipping information on their website."

"1/28/2009
I shipped my books to efollet.com for resale. It has been a month and I have not heard from them. Last week I sent an email asking if they had received the books, but they did not reply. I had to go to their website to hunt down a customer service number (it's 1-800-381-5151). I spoke with a representative, who told me that during the busy season, it takes a long time to process orders, and that my books had not yet been checked into the warehouse.

So efollet.com loses points for (a) not responding to my email, (b) not providing easy access to a customer service number(I had to search for it on their website - it should have been included when they sent the initial email confirmation of my order), and (c) not giving any type of estimate on how long it takes to process an order. If it takes a month or longer to process an order, they need to inform people of the potential delay.

Firstclassbooks.com, on the other hand, mailed me a check within two weeks after I had sent them a book, so I'll use their service for future book resales.

modified review This review was modified by student47 on January 29 2009 11:02:40 AM

efollett.com is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

efollett.com is not a merchant member
efollett.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!