• eBay

Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.42/10 1.42/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.98/10 1.98/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.95/10 0.95/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.87/10 0.87/10

"Most discriminative business I ever deal with! Ebay support discrimination and create nonsense policies every year. After seven years of my membership I am closing my account today. I am Not recommending to do business with EBay!! If you a new member do research and read review There are plenty of competitive web businesses today. Don't waste time with Ebay !! "

modified review This review was modified by A373795a on February 24 2015 08:44:40 PM

" i was sick of how hard ebay makes it to contact what they call customer service so i just tried to close my account. after 4 months i find out my account is still open. now it just took me an hour to contact them and i was told ebay refuses to close anyones account for 180 days.even with no transactions pending. they refuse because they hope you will change your mind.on top of that the rep informed me that even after 180 days you have to call them back and remind them you want your account closed. i guess when your customer service sucks that bad thats the only way they can stop people from closing there accounts"

modified review This review was modified by SCREWEBAY on February 23 2015 02:52:07 PM

"I would like to start by first addressing the bad, reason being it outweighs the good. There have apparently been NUMEROUS accounts of eBay frauds floating around cyberspace. I'm actually surprised (and concerned) this issue hasn't gone viral yet. Apparently when a buyer files any kind of dispute through PayPal & PayPal reverses/refund payment for item to Card Holder, buyer ends up with both full refund & item.

The scam that I'm addressing actually just happened to me as well, I sold an item on eBay in hopes of having money to purchase my books and school supplies this semester. Instead, I ended with no money and my valuables are GONE. EBay and PayPal don’t seem to care. I honestly, feel like I've been robbed.

Keep in mind, we're talking about the SELLERS being scammed here. The seller is an eBay customer who lists items for bid on eBay. The buyer being the person who "purchases" the item.

What's really upsetting to me is the fact that the person selling the item is obviously expecting some type of revenue to come in. It gives me chills because you never know who the seller is or why they had to sell an item. Could have been a mother trying to scrape up extra money for her children to eat. Could have been a father, selling his most valuable possession just so he can pay this month’s rent. Or maybe it was a teenager, selling her television just to help with her loved one's medical bills. These reasons are why I find this ethically wrong.

Whatever the case may be, makes me sick to my stomach knowing eBay/PayPal ALLOWS these "buyers" to get away with BOTH the item and a FULL refund. What happened to Seller's Protection? Or at least the final value fee credit? Apparently sellers are always given reasons on why they CAN'T receive these services. So, what's the point on even having these policies if they don't enforce them??

But get this, eBay & PayPal policy does not require buyer to show proof that item is returned to seller.
Example from a real eBay customer:
"Buyer received $670.00 refund for my item, refused to return item & then listed item for sale on their eBay site...I have filed formal complaint, all can be documented and eBay or PayPal has done nothing"

I honestly hate delivering bad news, but this is ridiculous! How is it that these companies see a consistent identical issue (basically ROBBERY) and yet continue to do NOTHING about it? You have thousands of faithful customers using your site as a source of income, yet being scammed! The fact that eBay doesn't seem bothered by this is mind boggling. Not to mention the countless number of threads and YouTube Videos from furious eBay sellers. This is obviously an ongoing issue and the fact that eBay choose to not address this is starting to have people think if this may be an inside job.

This is robbery and eBay policies are basically protecting these online thieves - eBay should be held accountable for not only their lack of accountability to this ongoing issue, but their absence of business ethics as a company. To put it simply, eBay is lacking all three traditions in ethics.

Their lack of actions - eliminating the wrongs (buyers who end up with refund and money) by addressing the right (sellers getting paid for their items sold). Ethically speaking, it's expected for a business to address/fix this issue by acknowledging the thousands of negative customer claims being made.

Their lack of agents - For this scam to publically continue for years says a lot about the character ethics - or lack thereof - of eBay employees/employers. By ruling in favor of the buyer and neglecting the seller is pure promotion of robbery. As a result, this shows that eBay is a company which does not hold strong virtues (fairness or trustworthiness to name a few). The central aspect of good character is integrity - which adds to the list of things that eBay lacks. Oh yeah, also add low moral standards to the list as well.

Finally, the ends -As you can see here, eBay doesn't serve a purpose nor an end since their "seller protection policy" is not morally defensible. HOWEVER, it's been made pretty clear that eBay lacks more than morals and virtues.

In fact, the only GOOD thing I can say about eBay is that they do in fact posses one strand of business ethics - a means to an end based solely on consequentiality. Regardless of the thousands of customer complaints via YouTube, Facebook, BBB, Twitter (trust me, the list goes on) - eBay does in fact pick the action that creates more good than bad. Especially since eBay gets their cut from the "sold" item and the buyer gets the item AND money, the only person unhappy is the seller. I guess that makes it 2 against one, therefore creating a purposeful end for a so called "ethical business".
Actually, I take that back. In regards to the "good" of eBay practicing consequentiality, is moreso a form of rationalization - since they are convinced their policies are fair due the company benefiting from the ends.

modified review This review was modified by JacquelineScott on February 23 2015 01:34:17 PM

"LIARS, BAIT AND SWITCH PROMOTIONS
I listed a cell phone for their cell phone promotion and called to verify the listing and was told that the item was elidgable for the promotion but when it came time to receive the funds from ebay for the promotion they said the listing did not qualify.

"Never received my item and never received my money back. And costumer service was horrible to me after many years using this website. closing my account now, done with ebay"

"This is about the "Husky Star" sewing machine that I bought. The advertisement said "barely Used" How come some of the parts were missing. The bobbin winder had to be fixed at a sewing machine place. The nob that the thread went through to wind the bobbin was not right. The accessory tray was missing and I had to order another one. The larger plastic circle that goes in front of the thread was gone. How can you say BARELY USED when so much stuff was wrong with the machine. The seller was Patricia Balija. "

modified review This review was modified by lllillie38 on February 19 2015 10:35:33 PM

"Do not sell on Ebay.
Plain and simple this website is absolutely fucking ridiculous. I sold my laptop on Ebay about a month ago and now just barely got my invoice today a month later. They charged me $68 just to sell my laptop for $350. Absolute fucking highway robbery. Once its available I will be de-activating my account along with my PayPal account. Ebay website is dying and I don't plan on sticking around to get scammed any fucking more.

modified review This review was modified by limoges_ryan on February 19 2015 02:32:41 PM

"I've had a Harley Davidson listing on ebay since December 2014 that has not sold due to successful biders who are not held accountable for not completing payment, but the seller is charged an outrageous fee that is withdrawn from your bank account by paypal. Ebay is
clearly one of the worst sites to ever sell your merchandise on. NEVER use this site!!! FORGET ABOUT USING EBAY!!!

"DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY!!! Ebay seller sold me counterfeit old cheap china head set which I paid almost $60 for. It was suppose to be brand new Plantronics. It was defective. Seller won't send me return label. I CANNOT CONTACT EBAY. I gave the seller a negative feedback & EBAY REVERSED THE FEEDBACK. Ebay is protecting buyers from giving negative feedback & allowing sellers to sell counterfeits!!!! DO NOT BELIEVE 99%-100% FEEDBACKS. Ebay makes money from these sales so they want buyers to keep buying COUNTERFEITS! There is NO WAY TO CONTACT EBAY on their website! It just takes you from one site to another! DO NOT GET RIPPED OFF FROM EBAY."

modified review This review was modified by chwang3221662 on February 13 2015 12:20:51 AM

"worse customers service, ebay steal my money from a sale. they refuse to reimburse my money. "

"Hi

Why is there no competion to ebay,it is the biggest thieving scum site, allowed to charge sellers what they like,you can sell something and if the buyer is not happy they can smash it and get a full rebate leaving you with no law to get,Not alone due you have to give ebay a huge cut but their sister company paypal who you are bullied to go through for payment also have a big slice of the action

"I have had an eBay account since September 2002, but NO MORE. As a seller, I have over 98% positive feedback, with 39 transactions over the past 12 months. 38 are positive. One was negative - the buyer wrote "Item arrived promptly, no bs either", so he obviously clicked the wrong button.
eBay thus decided to set a $100 selling limit on my account, based off this information. Trying to contact customer service is just a giant run around to bland statements about upping my seller standards. TO WHAT??? I HAVE A 98% SELLER STATUS!
I am told I can wait until next month for a new "seller evaluation". Funny, I thought I was running a business, not attending grammar school.
I had been moving away from eBay over the past couple of years because of their obscene fees, but this is the final straw. I will not have a marketplace limit my ability to be successful.
SELLER BEWARE.

modified review This review was modified by sealswhiskers on February 08 2015 09:37:29 AM

"On 20 January 2015, I purchased a Macbook Pro laptop on eBay for$791. The seller listed it in working order and having been inspected by Apple. The seller had excellent feedback, excellent communication, and it arrived promptly on 23 January.

Just over a week later, the logic board failed, and the seller refused to accept a return, a partial refund for the estimated cost of repairs (an additional $425), or provide documentation that it had been inspected by Apple. The repair shop where I had it inspected confirmed that the logic board was faulty, and that the failure was not caused by user error.

I opened a case with eBay on 3 February stating that the item was not as described (since the seller had no proof that it had been inspected by Apple), and it had failed within the time frame of their 30-day Buyer Protection clause. Ebay closed the case on 5 February in favour of the seller stating that because I had owned it for a week before contacting the seller for a return, it had been altered and was no longer returnable. My purchase should be covered under eBay's 30-day protection, but they have instead sided with a seller who lied about the condition of the computer.

I have spoken directly with the case manager at eBay, but she was not helpful. I have contacted the seller once again requesting a partial refund for cost of repairs or a full refund for a return.

I have filed official complaints about eBay's customer service with the Better Business Bureau and IC3; but I am still out $791 for a computer shaped brick, and an additional$425 if I want it repaired. I cannot contest the charge through PayPal, because the case has been closed, and I cannot contest the charge with my bank, because the seller refuses to authorise a return for the computer.

The customer service team is unhelpful, rude, and hung up on me twice after I respectfully requested to appeal the case. I have been an eBay customer since 2006, and I have had excellent dealings with eBay up until now. But I can honestly say that I have never been made to feel so helpless and insulted by a company that I once trusted. Don't expect anything from the eBay customer service team, specifically the high value items division of the Appeals Department.

modified review This review was modified by Braydie999 on February 07 2015 01:43:38 PM

"I order a wig from a seller (202workbull 127) it was pretty in it tissue paper. i cold washed the wig and it was very dirty! When i tried styling and try on the wig the wig matted so bad. I contact the seller and he or she did not respond. I had to open a case with ebay and ebay and the seller refund to refund my money. I will never order from 202workbull(127) or throw EBAy ever again. ebay customer service suck!"

modified review This review was modified by angelmack988 on February 06 2015 12:00:47 AM

"As many eBay sellers I was scammed by the fraudulent buyers a few times already, now additionally ebay changed their rules and they punish buyer for complaining and for reporting scammer buyer. You will not only loose your item and money but you will also receive 'not as described' strike from eBay just for reporting scam--if you are not one of Chinese mass sellers you will loose your seller discount immediately (and in reality forever). Sucker punch from team eBay and tiefs that eBay supports. Don't count on any help from eBay."

Share eBay's store rating

eBay is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

eBay is not a merchant member
eBay does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!