Stores > eBay

Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.03/10 2.03/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.73/10 2.73/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.30/10 1.30/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.73/10 1.73/10

Shop eBay and risk scam-like sales

"I used to regard eBay as a kind of on-line Filene's Basement and was very happy with it until the past four months, during which I have received two broken items about which I am getting a lot of grief from the sellers, and one item that does not fit but which the seller refused to take back and eBay refused to compensate me for. eBay has opened a "case" for one of these - a broken zipper on a Chinese-manufactured purse. The third item is a steam vacuum cleaner that I bought in June 2016, which broke two days ago on only the third use (it stopped making steam, a pretty big defect in a steam vacuum cleaner.) The seller will not refund and is making me go through the warranty process since the item is four months old. I found out that this appliance was manufactured in 2010, that it is not made anymore, and that almost no service center services it. I did find a service center that will look at it, but I'll be totally out of luck if the warranty doesn't cover the repair cost. And anyway, this is not my preference: I just want my money back and am going through the warranty process under duress by the seller. On the broken zipper item eBay has opened a case on it, but I was dunned by the seller to retract a negative review I wrote. Another seller dunned me to retract a negative review when its merchandise never arrived. Finally, I ordered a leather vest advertised as size 8, small-to-medium. It arrived and turned out to be more like a size 4. The seller refuses to take it back. eBay says it's "as described" because it has an "8" on the label. Any legitimate store would have recognized that fit may vary even within a given size, and that clearly this "8" was more like a petite-to-small, not a small-to-medium. eBay has sided with the seller. I have bought many, many, many items on eBay and they will now lose a very good customer. "

BIG SCAM ON EBAY "cell phone city"

"Bought a phone went black less than 30 days
Phone still working no screen
Called them up got right thought got a LDR #
Return Phone
there phones quit working and will not take calls
will not respond to Emails
Guess I'm another SCAMED by CELL PHONE CITY maybe be time for a class action suit
No Ebay did not ask me to write this
out my money out my phone

This review was modified by evergreen_mt_1 on October 07 2016 12:18:52 PM

eBay only care for the sellers, beware buyers!

"I only now use eBay for unusual items i cannot buy at a store. If you buy from eBay, in particular tickets, you need to beware you may not get them. Remember ebay hide behind "we are an auction site" meaning its your problem to sort out with the seller not theirs!. As for their guarantee on getting money back if you get ripped. It won't happen as they just don't do it.
You can be assured you will be ripped of about 4 times out of 10. They make their money from the sellers and not the buyers!
As for contacting them, No chance, no one there or wait 30 days, just online excuses until you give up.

Don't go here for anything you can buy at a shop or a real retail chain, you will regret it if you do.

"Ebay just doesn't seem to get how to compete in today's market. Whether it's buying or selling you're bound to get screwed by these jackoffs.
It started when they eliminated the option for sellers to leave negative feedback about buyers- now sellers are leaving positive feedback about negative experiences with buyers because that is the only way they can warn other sellers. Now if you have an issue with a buyer you can "report" them, which never even yields a response from ebay. Also, as a seller they force you to offer a return policy, which is understandable but it doesn't really matter what your return policy is or how long the buyer takes to want to return something, ebay always sides with the buyer. With used items, forcing a 30 day return policy is ridiculous. If something was damaged when you received it would you wait 30 days to complain? NO. It's leaving the door open for people who know how to scam the system. Furthermore some things are time sensitive- aka if I have a 30 day return policy on a prom dress, the buyer can wear it then return it. Poshmark has a 3 day policy, this is great; they receive it and inspect it and that's that.
Now if you're buying on ebay and aren't familiar with it, you'll be had by the overflowing amount of knockoffs and fakes. Sure, most people know the stuff from China is fake and never the proper size, color, quality as the image implies, but now these foreign sellers have gotten smarter and are listing these items as "ships from US" when they really don't. If you check the feedback, they may have 98-99% feedback but when you read the reviews the amount of negative comments is astonishing. Regardless of how many items a seller sells, how many reports that an item is fake or that buyers are unhappy with a seller need to be made before ebay eliminates that seller? Who knows? But I've seen sellers with literally thousands of negative feedback. It is a true testament of ebay's character that they knowingly allow these shady, illegal knockoff sellers to continue on ebay, and we the good sellers pay the price.
I've been a member since 1999. My feedback is 100%. Does ebay care? Not in the slightest, they'll side with a buyer who has a string of shady feedback.
Now let's talk about payment... What other site let's you buy something but not have to pay for it right away? You can add it to your cart on other sites, but until it's paid for, somebody else can actually pay for it and swipe it out from under you. Not on ebay. Once somebody commits to buy that item just sits there waiting for payment. And if the payment isn't made after so many days, instead of being able to relist it, you have to open a case and wait another week to see if the person is going to pay. You used to be able to sort of protect yourself from this as a seller by blocking new buyers but now ebay says that's discriminatory towards new buyers who need to build up feedback. You can block an individual member, but they have to screw you over before you know to add them to your list!
Also, ebay tries to force it's members to ship items same or next day. While I appreciate this service, you're saying if my buyer dinks around and waits 7 days to pay for an item that I have to rush to the PO to get it out to them- DUMB! Clearly they didn't want it that fast or they would have paid right away.
In no way is this a comprehensive list of issues you're sure to incur with ebay, but it's a good warning to stay away if you're an honest person whether you plan to sell or buy!

This review was modified by Joseee on October 02 2016 09:57:37 AM

"BEWARE! BEWARE! BEWARE! eBay is TERRIBLE for sellers. You have NO protection; they can stiff you for $1000s of dollars.
I sold a $1000 exhaust and paid $75 to ship it. The buyer did not read the listing, his motorcycle is a different year, he found a way to get eBay to force a return and force me to pay for another $75 for return shipping. EBay policies side with the buyer to screw the seller. EBay did not reach out to me for any information and made the “permanent” decision in the buyer’s favor. I even called eBay proactively before contacting the buyer and they said it would go in my favor. In addition, I received the exhaust back damaged by the buyer and eBay states “there is no coverage for that”. They insist I have to provide a full refund.
So a buyer can buy something without doing due diligence by not reading the ad and looking at the pictures, return the item damaged, and ebay will still force a refund to the buyer. They can take your money for shipping for the item and force you to pay for shipping it back. If you don’t , they will take your money as a refund to the buyer and the buyer gets to keep the item.

This review was modified by sb777 on September 28 2016 05:42:26 PM

eBay doesn't protect buyers

"We purchased eBay item number 201655246316, Kate Spade Tonti Street Cat Crossbody Clutch Handbag Lucky PINK KITTY HELLOTOKYO from eBay seller zengx031. The item is described as "New with tags: A brand­ new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as the original box or bag) and/or with the original tags attached."

However, upon receiving the item (a white purse), we immediately noticed several smudges
on the front flap that had not been disclosed and that do not meet reasonable expectations for a "new " item. We thought this might be dirt, so we gently wiped it with a soft cloth, without effect. We then posted photos of the defect and asked the seller for a refund. This was refused, so we appealed to eBay.

eBay ruled against us on the basis that attempting to w ipe w hat appeared to be dirt from the item constituted "modification" of the item, thus voiding the w arranty. Several long discussions with eBay failed to result in a refund. How ever, several eBay representatives agreed with us that the spots we photographed are faintly visible on the seller's own photographs of the item, if one knows where to look.

This review was modified by smart-bean on September 27 2016 07:19:19 PM

EBay money back guarantee is worthless

"Had a problem obtaining the correct legal paper to register a boat purchased on Ebay. They would NOT help me get my money back from the seller"

This review was modified by zeppelinhed777 on September 11 2016 01:53:50 PM

Sellers beware

"eBay offers no seller protection only buyer protection. I didn't offer a return on the transaction so The buyer claimed the item was defective and when I got it back i tested it and it worked perfect. eBay says I have to pay for shipping both ways and a full refund because they can't prove it works. But the buyer can claim it doesn't work and eBay doesn't have to verify that."

Where else can you buy items for 1/10 to 1/50 their retail value?

"I've shopped extensively on Etsy, Ruby Lane, Trocadero, and EBay. Out of the four, EBay is BY FAR the BEST place to get great bargains, and to avoid being taken for a ride by greedy, money-grubbing sellers who inflate their items' value. .......... EBay is the only online VINTAGE marketplace that will reliably reimburse you the return shipping charges when you return mis-described items. Ruby Lane can be pretty good as well. Trocadero's not so bad, but Etsy is by far the worst. .......... From here on out, I'm simplifying my life and shopping exclusively on eBay for online vintage items. "

This review was modified by MoHonduras on September 01 2016 04:45:21 AM

Sellers Stay Away From EBAY RIP OFF

"Sold an item on Ebay and buyer said, item was broken. Item must have been damaged by Royal Mail. Requested buyer to send images of item in packaging enabling me to claim from insurance: buyer ignored my request. However Ebay refunded the buyer and invoiced me for the broken item. Meanwhile, I haven't even receive the returned item as I was away on holiday. I have totally refused to pay the Ebay refund invoice. Ebay agent has advised me that my account will be suspended and I will receive adverse credit score if I don't pay. "

This review was modified by sweeney_june on August 31 2016 03:05:39 AM

Ebay.in - the ANTI-CUSTOMER online website

"Hello Buyers!!

This is regarding my experience with purchasing through EBAY.IN, the company which claims to be the number one in online shopping. Today in the current market of online shopping where companies like Flipkart, Myntra, Amazon and Snapdeal are offering fast delivery with easy and fast return and replacement – I have real-time experience with there no-tension return and replacement, there exist EBAY.IN whose customer care team lies to there customer, they are least bothered and will try there best to neglect the processing of refund as your money is with them and you are at the loss and not they!!
I found one dell laptop with good configuration on ebay, being a frequent customer of ebay who actually never dealt through there return and replacement processing, I ordered the laptop and made the online payment (Paisapay ID: 43396950846) and the struggle story started, I received the laptop on 23rd aug 16 and when I opened that, the laptop was missing windows 8.1 which was mentioned in the product specs, now the ebay’s anti-customer policy begins, I myself had to contact the supplier for the missing thing, ebay will keep sleeping over this (ebay policy), supplier confirmed his mistake. There is no other way for the customer except raising the claim on ebay.in, the next thing is – Ebay will sleep again blissfully as your money is stuck and not Ebay’s. I kept waiting and received no response from ebay except one automatically generated computer mail about the claim rasied. Then on 24th aug 16, I myself called ebay customer care and asked them about the processing of the refund – the executive told me that I will receive a call from Ebay claim department in 2days and there processing time is 20 days!! – ebay’s anti-customer policy!, after 2days Ebay customer care blissfully sleeping over the matter so I called them again and to my surprise the executive told me that they have intimated the supplier and have received no response form the supplier and they are waiting for the suppliers reply, also I will receive a response from Ebay claim department in 7days!! So you can imagine what a company EBAY is who takes 7days to make a call and start the processing – ebay’s anti-customer policy. Then the very same day I contacted the supplier and he told me that he had already replied to ebay’s mail and for me he will send the reply again..So ebay’s customer care department lied to me again – ebay’s anti-customer policy. Also the executive told me that I have to ship the product back to the supplier!! – ebay’s anti-customer policy the customer have to take all the tension and have to do all the work and EBAY will sleep blissfully as they got there money.
Today its 5th day after raising the claim and EBAY-Guarantee and there customer team is blissfully sleeping over this, I never imagined that the company who claims to be number one is actually number – ZERO. There is no customer favorable policy all the customer has to do is wait nothing else. Also 3days after receiving and generating the claim for the order, I received automated msg form ebay that the item is shipped and will be delivered to me before 31st aug!! Now you can imagine how pathetic is the condition of Ebay team in India is!! The ebay’s anti-customer policy dsnt end here, on 28th aug 16, I finally received a call from the claim department and astonishingly the guy Mr. Toufiq told me to send a picture of the missing part!! Ha ha ha! Picture of the missing windows 8.1 OS when I questioned him about computer knowledge he is having he had no answer except asking me to visit Dell warranty department as it is manufacturing defect, now you can understand what kind of people are sitting there in Ebay team, then when I questioned him about the laptop systems he transferred my call to his senior Mr. Mehraz he also asked me to visit Dell service center and get the confirmation letter on this…now you can understand for a fault of the seller for which seller has already accepted his mistake, how much pain the customer has to take and the Ebay team put all of its efforts in increasing the customer’s problem and pain…not to help get the correct product. So friends do keep in mind before you place an order on EBAY.IN about the ebay’s anti-customer policy!!

Mr. Devin Wenig, if you read this my humble request to you is pls ask your team to make some customer favorable policies which encourages the buyers and not the policies which actually reduce the list of your buyers and pls check your customer care team members knowledge about the product they handle. This is not a reflection of a online shopping company which stands out in the world.

This review was modified by Dude30 on August 28 2016 10:07:41 AM

onebut deservesnone

"I would give them 0 stars for customer service. I have bought literally hundreds of items without a problem. Turns out I'm lucky I never had an issue. When I did have something happen neither the merchant (and especially) ebay wanted to do anything. Don't even bother trying to call them it is a joke!
I will probably buy again on ebay I just realize that there won't be any help if there is a problem. I believe from what I have read this works both ways. Sellers don't get any support either.

This review was modified by Markyrich on August 26 2016 07:26:16 PM

Amazing, Truly Amazing

"With a corporate background, including middle management, it amazes me that, 1) eBay can remain in business, 2) generate and sustain revenues and, 3) trade at all on the stock markets while actually, and phenomenally, thriving.

Most comments, from seemingly disgruntled eBay users, are VERY valid. Comments such as “…be prepared for...dodgy buyers looking to scam…no protection from ebay...fake items (false claims, etc)...extremely high fees (including shipping!)...awful website..." are all very valid.

1st, eBay's layout, overall user interfaces etc. are poorly designed, disorganized, inefficient and simply immature, adolescent, childlike. Regarding eBay's “protection” policies, empty promises. 2nd, support for transactions gone bad require excessive, valid, documentation from buyers/sellers, with the onus of resolving issues falling on the buyer/seller, rendering eBay's alleged "protection" almost worthless. As just one example, we purchased several allegedly "new" SSDs. The item(s) arrived with postage due and therefore, had to be “refused” (we did not have cash available to pay the USPS carrier). The short version: item was immediately returned to the seller; however, seller would not issue a refund despite several messages and documentation (zero, yes ZERO, weight for the package, $0.61 for fees that should've been $6-$7, etc!). eBay advised filing a dispute vs. using eBay's messaging. eBay next advised allowing 3 business days for the buyer to respond. On the FOURTH business day, eBay advised waiting until the FIFTH business day for the seller to respond. After more than 1-1/2 hours presenting our case to the eBay "courts", eBay reluctantly agreed to enforce their buyer "protection" (hah!) policy by issuing a refund, again, almost approaching the FIFTH day, and only AFTER sending the seller yet one last message while on the phone with eBay.

eBay reasoned the seller may've been waiting to check the package. However, even IF the SSDs were damaged, such damage would NOT have been our responsibility since the package was in the possession of the USPS the entire time. Any possible damage would've been between the USPS and the seller. We further argued, should the seller claim damage to the returned items; he could prolong our dispute for MONTHS. When asked by eBay if there was anything else they could do we replied, “…enforce your famous eBay protection policy and issue a refund!” After a long pause on hold, the eBay rep advised that an exception (huh? It is their HIGHLY promoted "protection" policy!) will be made by issuing a refund. There should've been NO "exception", no "override." The seller was wrong, allegedly tried to defraud the USPS, was unresponsive and we had provided copious, valid, legally supporting documentation.

Regarding eBay user ratings, most buyers/sellers (private parties) will avoid submitting negative feedback, to prevent receiving a negative rating in return! So, positive seller ratings may not reflect the true seller rating, where seller ratings could possibly be MUCH lower than reflected on the eBay.

Lastly, eBay’s messaging is a mess, a communications nightmare, virtually impossible to maintain a contiguous transactional message thread, with respect to numerous messages for a single transaction. I honestly believe eBay is just another "dot.com" leftover from the '90s waiting to crash. If it weren't for the patient Filipino representatives, eBay C-Levels would all be cashing in their obscene golden parachutes (i.e. 10s of millions of dollars!) regardless of failure or bankruptcy.

If not for the patient Filipino eBay support, I believe eBay would be in Chapter 11.

This review was modified by DRailroad on August 26 2016 03:45:36 AM

Alienware 17 (New Edition) 17" Notebook - Customized

"Don't sell anything on this site. It's full of scammers and eBay doesn't do anything about it. I know because I recently tried selling my laptop on this site. Do not trust me, just look at the number of negative feedback from other people, numbers don't lie, eBay ****! If you are that gullible and wanna try your risk then go ahead and lose your money. I have had a share with their customer service and they ****, they are the epitome of dubious employees."

Share eBay's store rating

eBay is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

eBay is not a merchant member
eBay does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!