Stores > Blurb

Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.08/10 2.08/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.83/10 0.83/10

2016-04-21

Customer Zero Support

"Blurb has no interest in genuinely addressing customer problems. I've tried emailing but each email is transferred to someone else. There's never a clear line of communication and no problem resolution. In the end, the process is so convuluted, it is simply easier to give up, which is perhaps what they want. And trying to ring to get satisfaction is equally impossible. Each time I've tried, I've been simply put on hold for betweeen 40 minutes to an hour before the call drops. I am not sure that there even is a real person to answer these calls. So to put it simply, don't waste your time or money. The final product is not worth it and there's no redress if something's wrong."

This review was modified by Mary-Joy on April 21 2016 01:46:21 PM

2016-01-27

One big disaster! Avoid like the plague!

"I agree with the previous comments that it is the worst service I have ever met. My book was printed with a lot of errors, with big stains extending throughout the pages.
They do not reply on emails. No chances to contact them by phone - permanently engaged or "out of hours". If you are lucky to get your book printed out without any errors - you are lucky. But if you have any concerns you have to forget about any support or service.
Never again, Blurb!!

2015-12-17

"I have never under gone a worse customer service experience with any established company than with Blurb. I should not have to wait two days for an email response. I should not have to repeat simple questions in these emails. I should not be hung up on when I'm on hold, waiting for a customer service representitive. I should not have to call their office in San Francisco, randomly dial employee extensions, and have someone from finance personally get up and tell someone from Customer Service to communicate with me. I should not have to do that three times in the span of 24 hours. No company in their right mind should make any customer go through this. At least the employees (especially the finance department) seemed friendly and that blurb is giving me a shipping fee refund for one out of the four late packages this month. I am deeply sorry Blurb, but the customer service (with the influence of poor holiday turn-around times) deems an overall score of 1/5 stars, 1/10 points and a very dissapointed customer. Communication is key, and Blurb does not communicate when things do not go as planned."

This review was modified by billiam1906 on December 17 2015 03:24:45 AM

2015-11-09

"Just received my "premium" magazine and the print quality is terrible. I am a photographer and spent extra money for the premium in order for my images to look as they should. Instead, it looks like color xerox pages bound together. I absolutely do not recommend this service for photographers. "

2015-11-03

"My books have arrived ( that were planned for birthday presents) and there are unexplained square black blotches under some text throughout the book. These square marks do not show on the preview. I sent digital photos and scans and was told that the problem was being investigated. But then nothing. I sent at least 4 follow up emails and have received no response. There is no phone number to call. This is very disappointing as I will have to give these flawed gifts, and it looks like I did the project in a hurry. In fact, I made and ordered and received one copy months ago, and only added some content to the recent order that was intended as gifts. I am heartbroken and feel abandoned and robbed. "

danpbphoto's Avatar

Maryland
2015-10-30

"12-16-2015 - UPDATE- Reprinted by BLURB and it STILL was messed up!!! Filed a claim with PayPal and my claim was "resolved" in my favor and a full refund was issued to me. Blurb is one of the poorest companies I have EVER dealt with. Proceed at your own risk.
11-17-15-1500hrs- After extensive conversation on phone with CSR-They now say that even though all "preflights" and Previews were OK'd for upload without any "Specification" errors and ok to print ....that I AM AT FAULT! Funny they are a "participating merchant here" but dont give a hoot about customers or support! Even their own "hire an Experts" wont deal with them!!
11-17-15-
Just received my order! TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!! First few pages the text is cut off, the page cut uneven. Further into the magazine samething...text is cut off yet in "final proof" all is fine! Just a total CF! What a "fly by night publisher/printer! DO NOT ORDER A MAGAZINE FROM THEM!!!!
11-16-2015- After 3 months getting order printed...Order was LOST in shipment by FedEx. Plus FedEx is disputing Blurbs Invoice where Blurb states that 10 magazines@24 pages per mag weighs only 2 lbs!!! I tried phone support which website states that it is available 7am PST but when called from east Coast after 10am..het recording that they are not open for phone support.
11-3-2015- The "hits just keep a comin" with these clowns! After fixing size issues the continued despite re-correcting to Blurbs spec, the font style issue continues. They cannot even tell me what font styles they support. They keep saying that it is not "the font style" but what Adobe Acrobat PDF is embedding YET when "Properties" of page are shown..emebedded font is marked as such! Blurb is in an "idiot loop"! Printer/publisher of initial magazine doc wants to talk with them but they will not. That tells me allot! Messages by LucidPress and Army magazine go left unreturned to rectify the mess. I have close to 100 emails from blurb over 4+ months and not 1 piece of "support" just excuses!
This has got to be the WORST fly-by-night publisher I have ever dealt with!!! I have been trying to get copies of an already nationally published magazine article put into a Premium magazine for Christmas gifts SINCE AUGUST2015! The support is the most horrendous I have ever dealt with! Email only! No Supervisors! Specifications for "Preflight Preview" change daily. Website sez 1 thing but can't publish because techs say another. And a nationally syndicated photo magazine praised these people! Even their "Expert Help" cant get through to them nor can they do anything to get my magazine published! You send in screenshots of the errors and they say "Thanks" but don't address the errors! You leave messages with CSR and they NEVER get returned! They offer NO support just ADVICE! If, in my case a Premium magazine, is not of the "cookie-cutter" mold, forget it! Then they have they audacity, when the publisher wants to talk to them about publishing specifics, they won't talk to the publisher! The website states 1 thing about specifics for a Premium magazine but after 3 months of trying to get mine published, you find out that what they print is not what the want. 8.5x11 isn't really that it is 8.625x11.250. Their posted "Hire an Expert" is worthless in my case. The 2 I talked with can't figure out why they can't publish and already published magazine! Calls from 2 experts to Blurb from 3 weeks ago have yet to be returned. And if you have a disagreement with Support, they ignore you! Left on hold for 3 times at 15 minute intervals totalling 55 minutes waiting for Support only to find out there is no live body!They could be making millions if done correctly but this is pure insanity!

This review was modified by danpbphoto on December 16 2015 11:09:37 AM

2015-08-24

"I am so impressed with the quality of my Blurb photo book I received in the post today that I had to share it. The website was extremely easy to use. My photos uploaded very rapidly. The options available with colour, font, photo design, etc., were just brilliant. I've never written a review for any product I've purchased but was so blown away by this company's product that I had to write something and share the joy. I spent hours working on my photo book as I am very particular with things being perfect and the product turned out better than I could have ever imagined. "

2015-07-22

"I have been trying my landscape book file as plug in or PDF or as a direct file to Blurb for 6 days. They keep escalating me to someone, and no one is even telling me what should to get off from errors. I am using Blurb template. First error was about the size of the cover. Then after 4 days hey told me I should flat the layers. It didn't work after a day, the costumer service told me the problem is for the line weight and I should change them and I did. At the end, errors was about low resolution.
The U.S phone is not working, each time I have to call The UK to connect in the US. Now, after almost a week, I am not able to order the book. I failed my class because of their terrible customer service.

2015-07-13

"Just received my Tales in Paint by Tibor Nagy $78... An Art book. I didn't realize how small this book was. Blurb doesn't tell you the dimensions- for good reason, it's small and most of the images of the paintings were post card size or 6.5" x 6.5". The photos of the artwork were mediocre, noisy. If the price was fair $20-$30 max I'd be happy, but I felt taken advantage of.

Great artist, too bad the book was a rip-off

2015-06-17

"As usual, the publication was of high quality and faithful to the design and style submitted"

2015-02-09

"I just received my my magazine and the print quality has dropped so low. the images and letters look grayed out. Very bad, very disappointing. I have been calling customer service and they never answer. "

2015-01-29

"I ordered a couple of coffee table albums for a lovely wedding couple that I had the privilege of shooting and videoing their wedding I thought it would be a nice little touch and a gift from me and the photographer to this lovely couple the mistake was that I made I told them that I ordered then this album this was in November 2014 I received an email from blUrb informing me that I had an incorrect address in my items was sent back to them that could have happened but no way did I write the wrong address for my albums to be sent to me in any event I sent them a revised shipping address and phone number now this is January 29th 2015 and guess what I still have no album no way to contact them no telephone number I've been searching and searching and searching I am highly disappointed and upset."

2015-01-10

"Just received my copy of a fashion magazine I ordered from Blurb and quite disappointed with the printing quality, printer strokes and noises everywhere. Online images look so much better than this. I f I knew that it would like this, would've saved myself $40."

2015-01-08

"I have been telling my children a Christmas story for over 30 years and this Christmas decided to put I in print as a keepsake for them and for my three granddaughters. After researching different options I chose Blurb due to the lower cost per book and I could order just a few. I downloaded their 'Bookwright' software without issue and found it to be easy to use. After finishing the layout I uploaded the files, again, easily and without issue. While the book was in production I did contact support with a concern (a mistake I made) and received a response to my email from Celeste within an hour. Over the next few days while the book was in production I contacted Celeste several times and always received a very prompt and friendly response. I was excited but nervous when the books arrived, not knowing what to expect but I was thrilled with the outcome. They are good quality, picture colors are true to my vision, everything I was hoping they'd be. They were a phenomenal hit this Christmas and I am in the process of ordering more for extended family and friends. I would give Blurb a huge thumbs up and for me, their support was top notch. "

2015-01-04

"As a new author and writer of "All I Got Left" by Theresa L. Washington. I should have chosen to go with Blurb who is a lot more less expensive. Especially compare to other self publishers, traditional, and independent publishers.

Blurb helps you to create your own book for less price. And possibly charged you separately for other services that you might need. I did not go this route with my first book because I wanted to get my book in the public as well as my name as an author.

So that my readers and audiences could get to know me a little better. Blurb really doesn't give you any particular ways of doing your books. Except you have to look or shop through their stuff and then you have to create your own book.

They do give you an option of using their designed templates or you can chose your own design. Most books and magazines give you a choice in how you want your work to look like and how to get it in the hands of your readers and audiences.

You are pretty much on your own with some of these self publishers and books and other book companies that really want to help create the look you want for your story. But most of these services are costly individually and can be financial a set back when you are trying to either market your book or sell your book.

If people don't think your book is interesting then you don't know if your book is selling or not. Unless you have a great strategy and a wonderful PR person to do all of the leg work for you. You are left by yourself to help sell more of your books and to promote it the best way you know how.

Thank God Blurb does give you the proper resources in planning your book and setting up your book and formatting your book.

Thanks.
Theresa L. Washington

Share Blurb's store rating

Blurb is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Blurb is not a merchant member
Blurb does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!