Blurb Reviews - blurb.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

Rating 3.17/10 191 reviews

Blurb is a merchant member
Blurb participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. This merchant is also Elite. See all 1,865 merchant members.

"My first book was beautiful."

"I have never regretted a choice more than my choice of Blurb. Am not sure I have dealt with a product more terrible. Heavy, slow. No prompts. Useless customer service. I am sickened by the amount of time I have wasted with this company. And, I have had it - moving on to another choice."

"Blurb has been my photobook company from the beginning and I have loved working with them. The program I downloaded is user friendly with a terrific variety of templates and the option to make your own versions. The books have been printed on quality paper and have arrived in excellent time. In the beginning I had trouble with dark prints so called them and received excellent customer service with explicit instructions to correct my problem. They even reprinted a book without question. I have made 10 different books with Blurb and have been thrilled with the results. I highly recommend using Blurb for your photo books."

"Worst customer service I ever had !!!! "

"I wanted to create a cook book for my mother in law and came across Blurb. Everything looked great and so professional. But I looked up reviews and so many were negative. I ended up choosing blurb because it gave me more customization than Tastebook (deal breaker was I could use my own photo for the cover on Blurb). It was a risk I took and I'm very pleased that I have! The key is to print out the proof of your book to give you a better idea of how photos and text will turn out. Also helps with spotting typos.

The book came out beautifully. Rich photos, thick paper and a professional hardcover. My mother in law loved it! Very pleased and I would definitely use blurb again and recommend it to my friends.

"Caution: if you want to make an ebook, be aware that What you see is NOT what you get. When you preview an ebook, it shows the cover; click and the book opens and you can read it, flipping the pages until the end. After the last page you flip to view the back cover. This is NOT what happens when you download however. The book opens to the first page; the only place you can see the cover is in a tiny blurry thumbnail om your iBooks bookshelf. No matter how beautiful the cover or how important a part of the book it is, you and your readers will not be able to enjoy it once the book has been paid for. The back cover is on the same spread with the last page as if it were an end flap rather than a back cover, also disappointing. I thought this must have been a technical problem--who wants a book without a cover? But support assured me this was the way it was supposed to be.

SOOOO disappointing! I had done a printed book with Blurb before and liked it; this project needs both print and ebook. Since the ebook is not satisfactory, I feel I have wasted a huge amount of time and money on the whole project. Without the capacity to make a beautiful ebook that is faithful to what readers think they are getting from the preview--which includes the cover--I will not do another blurb book. My readers would feel ripped off. As I do.

"I can't figure out all these negative reviews. I have ordered 7 photo books from Blurb, some on standard paper, some on premium, some with dust cover, other with image wrap,in both 8x10 and 11x13 sizes. All of them have turned out flawless. I learned early on to prepare photos well (I use photoshop) according to the pixel size recommended for each size picture frame, converting to sRGB colorspace and JPG format. My only observation (which is not a negative) is that no matter how sharp a photo may be when uploaded, it will be a bit softer when printed. Color has always been spot-on with no changes to lightness/darkness. Yes, the books are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for."

"I am a photographer and often put together photo books. I recently heard about Blurb and figured I would give it a try. I normally do not make suggestions and can figure things out on my own, even if it is frustrating...but you have to be kidding me!

I have spent the last 4-5 hours putting together and re-putting together a simple 20 pg. photo book. Both times, after I have finished the final edits (approx. 2 hours of work) and I am ready to order, it deletes half my photos, texts, and formats, and says that I need to redo my book.

If the photos do not work for the book, don't allow them to upload in the first place!! Or at least inform us that these particular photos will not work for the book.

Unless "Blurb" redeems themselves in some big way, I will make sure that neither I, nor my friends, will ever use this program again. This is frustrating, annoying, and unprofessional.

"I am curently having a horrible time working on getting an issue resolved. I used blurb to create a book as my wedding invitations. The book includes our engagement photos as well as all the information that would be on a wedding invite. I worked on it for months to get it perfect. Finally when it was finished, I read it over, checking to make sure there were no errors, and previewed the book. I got a second opinion and a third and we all saw that everything looked fine. I purchased my bulk order, spending over $300 and the books arrived with a missing word. I went to check if it was my fault and opened the book up in edit. The word was there!! It as also there when I previewed it again! I've sent a request in to get my issue resolved a week ago and still no resolution. They wanted me to send pictures of the problem, which I did, and still nothing. I want an answer and I want my issue fixed. And the fact that I can't call anyone makes me even more upset. I've been a blurb customer before and planned to use them for many more projects, but this is ridiculous."

Rating 8/104/5

"Initial Problems, Slow Shipping, Second Copy Better

The first copy of the book arrived with significant problems. It was the wrong version of the book due to software problems at blurb, and it was dark. Blurb suggested a re-do, and gave significant merchandise credit towards that goal.

My overall impression is that if you have a few months to deliver a book, blurb will work with you to get the job done. However, if you are trying to have the book ready in a few weeks, you are better off printing at home.

Why blurb chooses to charge so much for shipping, yet get such slow shipping velocity, remains a mystery. Enhanced shipping means it only takes two weeks to get a book made and delivered? Why not simply use USPS Priority Mail?

modified review reply posted Jul-24-2013

BlurbInc, Blurb rep has responded

“Hi there – I'm really sorry to hear about this unpleasant experience using Blurb. This is really great feedback regarding being more proactive about warning customers that images print darker than they appear on a backlit screen. I'll make sure to forward this to our team. Regarding the wrong book, we can get that straightened out right away for you. Although less than 1% of books arrive with these sort of errors, it's always incredibly inconvenient when it happens! Rest assured that we do have chat support and you can access it on the main support page here http://is.gd/0NgNaL – simply click on "Chat Support" on the right side of the page. We look forward to straightening this out for you right away.”

"Today is Day 3. I received a hardcover book as a gift from my son, it is a book I wrote about our family dog who just died. The pages were out of order. I am trying to find out if the error was my sons error or the publishers error. But NO ONE will respond to my online customer support request on their website. The website says you will get a reply in 6-8 hours, and it has been 3 days with a request sent each day to contact me. Very poor service. Very poor communication. A very easy fix. I want to find out who made the error and then get the book re-published with copies for all my grandkids. But they will not even acknowledge they recevied my request. There is no phone number on their site, there is no physical address on their site so you cannot contact them except on the SUBMIT A REQUEST form in the HELP and CUSTOMER SUPPORT section. And they do not answer those requests. "

modified review reply posted Jul-22-2013

BlurbInc, Blurb rep has responded

“Hi there – I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble contacting our customer support team. Usually we reply within fifteen minutes to three hours and I'm sorry to hear that you've not received a response in three days. I've let them know to reach out to you as soon as possible and we'll get this straightened out for you right away!
-The Blurberati”

"I created my first book with Blurb and was excited to see the option of an ebook book as well so I did both. My first disappointment came with the ebook. I got it, opened it, and it opened to page one. I get page 1 through the back cover. So I contacted customer support wondering where my front cover was. To Blurb's credit, customer support replied immediately, unfortunately just not with an answer I wanted to hear. Blurb has decided not to include the cover in the ebooks. What? Don't most people put their best/favorite picture on the cover? And now you're telling me I paid $10.00 and can't see it? Stupid...and a waste of $10.00. As convenient as that was, I will never pay for that service again.

My second issue was the book itself. Quality seems great, but when I look at the book I created (in Lightroom) and the ebook, I don't see any problems. When I look at the physical book I have a lot of pages where parts of the picture are cut off. The book is of a recent trip I took to photograph wild mustangs. In the physical book ears and noses are cut off, where they aren't in the ebook or in LR. So while the image quality and paper quality is there, I feel I've just wasted about $42.00 and won't be using Blurb in the future. I really wanted to like Blurb...so convenient with LR.

07/29/2013...UPDATE...I followed the instructions provided and opened a ticket. I have been working with Juliana (who replied immediately) and have had some of the BEST customer service I've had in a long time. Even though it appears my issues with my print book were my fault, Blurb is willing to let me make adjustments and reprint for me. Glad I asked my questions, I will definitely use them (and recommend them) for all my books.

8/11/2013. My last, and final update...my new book arrived and it is worse than the first one that wasn't right. My pictures were from a recent trip to North Dakota to photograph wild mustangs. A lot of my pictures in my book had noses/ears/hooves cut off. Customer support was helpful -- they looked at everything and told me that I must not have my pictures within the borders in my software (LightRoom). They told me to go into my software and fix it and gave me a coupon code to cover a free book and expedited shipping. In my opinion, great support. So I adjusted a few things, but really, all my pictures were within the borders in the software. My new book arrived and the pictures are cut off worse than they were before, and more of them are cut off (even ones I didn't touch in my "fixing". The picture quality of this book is also worse -- a lot of my pictures have noise, something that isn't in my picture or even in the first version of the book they sent me.

I have to be done with Blurb now -- this is ridiculous.

modified review reply posted Jul-11-2013

BlurbInc, Blurb rep has responded

“Hi there – I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles with both the ebook and print versions of your Blurb book. The cover of your book should definitely appear in the ebook version on your iPad. I'll follow up with our customer support team to see if there was some confusion.

As for the trim issue with your print book, this type of issue can be easily fixed. It's usually due to content being outside our the trim guides. Please create a new customer support ticket here https://support.blurb.com/anonymous_requests/new and we can get you straightened out right away.

- Kind regards, Blurb”

"I just received my first order from Blurb and I am so disappointed with it. Its just a simple notebook with a personalized front & back cover that I designed as a gift for my sister.
I placed my text and images within the lines, centered and triple checked to make sure everything was symmetrical. The preview showed everything looked just perfect. The actual product I received was a mess. Everything was completely off center. It looks terrible. Some text was wrapped around the inside cover and cannot be seen. I almost cried. And I had paid $18.99 for rush shipping so that was $40 down the drain! Well, as sickening as it is to hand over more good money to this company, I'm going to try this one more time. I just went back and redesigned by book, moving everything slightly off-center so that hopefully they will end up in the center on the next one...

modified review reply posted Jun-28-2013

BlurbInc, Blurb rep has responded

“Hi Fiona – I'm so sorry to hear that your notebook arrived looking different than what you saw on screen. We'd love to help you get the book that you expected in your hands as soon as possible. Please contact customer support at the following link and we'll get you straightened our right away.

"Well where do I start?

Three wasted days off work with numerous attempts to contact them for support.
Uninformed staff who don't know their product and are unwilling to admit there are issues.
Unhelpful.
Software that is not fit for purpose and is glitchy, crashes and cannot complete the task it is set.
Staff do not pass on suggestions to the developers and programmers for incorporation into newer versions.

And (!) my key grumble on top of this is the attitude of the staff and company towards wasting my time. They couldn't care less and persist with pointless generic suggestions that when implemented by yourself become immediately clear they haven't tried themselves or alternatively haven't listened to your point in the first place.

In a nutshell a real 'computer says no' company.

DO NOT USE.

modified review reply posted Jun-04-2013

BlurbInc, Blurb rep has responded

“Hi Alekio – I'm really sorry to hear about this poor experience. Often being on the customer-end of things myself, I definitely have experience on how frustrating it can be to not get the proper answers. I've reached out to our support team and we'll do everything we can to actually be helpful if you're willing to give it another go!”

"I am very upset with blurb right now. I started my cook book last October working on it as much as I could. However, I work 2 jobs and go to school, so it's hard for me to even find time to get online, let alone always work on the book. But this is something I want to do for my grandmother and our family. Well, I was almost completely done with it, but I ended up working a whole lot more hours than usual.....and my book became deleted because I hadn't worked on it for a while. Rather than start over with blurb, I have decided to go with a company that doesn't have the time constraints and has higher reviews with their quality. "