• Alibris

Product & services pricing Rating 6.56/10 6.56/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 4.72/10 4.72/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.21/10 3.21/10

"I ordered a few times from Alibris. I had problems with their delivery times. The last order I placed, 57124118, is one month into it and still there is no word on when it will be delivered. The excuse I received is that, since it comes from a bookseller in England, delivery takes much longer. This is close to absurd in this day and age, when Amazon delivers overnight on Sundays. Another problem is that this kind of delay was not apparent in the book or seller description at the time I placed the order. It only surfaced a few days later when I inquired why my order showed as "pending" (it still does).
This is a textbook for a class, so delivery times are important. Classes already started and I still don't have the book. I had to buy it again at the college bookstore, new. I asked for a refund but haven't heard yet.
Unfortunately this is not my first bad experience with Alibris. I will never order again from this company and I don't recommend it to anyone else.

UPDATE 8/24/2015-
I emailed Alibris and they responded that they will refund my paypal payment in full. The emai came within hours and I am very appreciative of the speed of resolution. I will update customer service overall rating from 2 to 4 stars.

This review was modified by rxex on August 24 2015 09:20:42 AM

"Alibris charged my credit card 7 times for the same transaction, their customer service has been unresponsive. To top it off, they couldn't provide a shipping method that I requested and have done nothing to rectify the situation. This company is irresponsible and clearly unwilling to provide proper customer service. I will never buy anything from here again and I suggest that anyone use any other ecommerce site for what you're looking for besides this one. They have hurt my credit, caused interest to unnecessarily build and have been unresponsive. Just terrible."

"Just used Alibris for the first time and was quite impressed. Was looking for an out-of-print book, typed in the author name and found several available copies. The order took a few minutes to process. Received the book in less than a week. Thanks Alibris!"

This review was modified by mood_ring on July 29 2015 03:01:52 PM

"Ordered a book that was described as "Very Good". Received the book and the spine was broken and the corner was bent on a Hard Cover book.. Company issued a refund.. thank you"

This review was modified by meistert on August 01 2015 06:50:26 PM

"I ordered 3 books and 1 movie on Alibris.com. They had the lowest price on books and on the movie. After reading some reviews, I was a bit concerned but after doing additional research, I found that Alibris has been around since 1999 and few of my friends told me about them recently. I placed the order and received it in few days. No issues with my order at all."

"I just recently bought two movies on Alibris by a seller called Newtownvideo; Animal House and A Beautiful Mind. I saved a little on freight because the two movies were from the same seller. I was surprised that the movies got to me as fast as they did. I would buy from this seller again.
http://www.alibris.com/stores/newtown1 I have included a link to their storefront.

This review was modified by stevenlori on July 20 2015 05:17:58 PM

"I'm old school when it comes to buying music as I still prefer the actual CD over a digital download. I just always thought that the physical disc gave me more options, including importing it in to my itunes so that by buying a CD I'm covered all around. Many of the reviews here are about books, but I always go to Alibris to buy music. Most of the CDs that I want to add to my collection are 99c, which...if you're counting is like the price of 1 song to download. Shipping, no matter what you buy is always $3.99 so at the end of the day I walk away with most of my albums costing less than $5. They also have a pretty sweet setup where if you buy multiple items from the same seller you get $1.00 off of the shipping price for each additional item. That knocks the cost per album down to less than $4.00 (if you buy more than 1).

They also have a lot of the older / hard to find albums, so this place is great for me.

The only thing I would like to improve is the shipping times. Sometimes it takes almost 2 weeks for my items to get to my house. That said, I now only buy from sellers that are in my state, and that has kept the shipping times down to most less than a week.

This review was modified by MusicKollektor on June 29 2015 01:34:01 PM

"ALibris allows their sellers to provide false descriptions of the condition of their books and then back the seller 100% without even seeing the book, refuses to refund return shipping back to credit card, tried to give a $3.00 coupon instead. Customer service is terrible, does not care about the customers only their best interest which is making money off the sellers who rip off the customers. ALibris allows their sellers to hide all negative feedback. Don't ever buy from ALIBRIS and even worse their seller TEXTBOOKNOOK ,10641 Braden Dickey Ln,Suite 3
Knoxville TN 37932. They advertised the condition of the book as : "Successful Project Management (with Microsoft Project 2010) Good Awesome Text For the Price! ! ! Includes Unopened DVD! ! This was not true, when I removed it from the envelope the book practically fell apart in two. There is absolutely no binding! All the pages up to p.356 is hanging by one page and pg. 357 to the end is hanging by one page and page 357 is has a rip because there is no support. I cannot resale this book in this condition or would even consider keeping a book for myself in this poor condition. There was no mention that this book had such poor binding and the whole book was secured by two pages. I have pics to prove this.

After requesting return shipping refund TEXTBOOKNOOK and sending photos of the book falling apart, they still stated their book description was accurate and refused to refund return shipping cost. What is worse is ALIBRIS backed this seller up and didn't even see the book. Also this is what TEXTBOOKNOOK advertises for their business: I promise any dissatisfaction it will be fixed very quickly; it is a big deal to me. This is what I do for a living and how the bills are barely paid, so I want to make sure everything is correct for my sake and certainly for my family's sake. It makes a huge difference for us sellers not only that we have positive feedback, but also that we have a lot of them!!! Not only do they provide inaccurate book description but also do not live up to their business promises.

This review was modified by salvagli on June 18 2015 07:29:55 PM

"I have ordered from them a few times. No more. At least half the time the order is cancelled days if not a week after the order is placed. It just happened again. Customer lost. Order 56195630 direct to company placed 2/26/15. cancelled by company on 3/1/15. "

"Some few months ago I bought books online from Alibris. So far I have received only one. Upon inquiring about the long dely, I got this response from them:

"I'm sorry to hear that your order (55128195-1) has not arrived. Likely, it has become lost in the mail. Unfortunately, we are not able to issue a refund on orders more than 90 days after the shipment date.

I would like to assure you that the instance of shipments lost in the mail is rare. However, you may want to contact your local Post Office to inquire about any known delivery problems.

If I can be of further assistance please write back.

Best regards,
Farhan Shaikh
Alibris Client Services
Monsoon Commerce

So, I bought something and when it does not reach me I have to got all out by myself to the local Post Office. How am I expected to do that when I don't even know the tracking number of the item? I paid for the item and the postal charges but still receive this kind of service. It's really annoying.

"I ordered a textbook from Alibris at a great price. The seller was from out of country and the expected delivery date was over a month away. However, the book came in just under 2 weeks in perfect condition.
I'm very happy with Alibris.

"Warning! Do not buy from this website unless you like to take a gamble with your money. You may or may not receive your order and if not, there is no customer service. Obviously I did not receive my book. The tracking number result was "no such tracking number found". If you find a phone # and try to call Alibris or the actual seller, Slategray, in this case, you will NOT be able to talk to a live person. You only get a somewhat arrogant recorded message telling that you can only use the "form" on the website to contact them and you have no record of your correspondence.

In addition, they tell you to send ONLY ONE email otherwise you will be put at the back of the line! Seriously? They had my money via PayPal, I had no book, no shipment tracking, and no way to contact a live person. And then they had the gall to send me an email and ask if I would like to order another book! Hah! Never, never, never!

When I finally received an email response to my contact via website form, basically all it said was "I believe everything will be ok" and was signed as follows:

Thanks for your patience, and for shopping with us!
Regards,
Gaurang Patel
Alibris Client Services
Monsoon Commerce

This review was modified by Gramx3 on February 03 2015 05:40:23 AM

"Really terrible company.

I ordered a book, which in fairness was very competitively priced. Next day I received confirmation the product had been sent. So far so good. Then four days later I received a cancellation email. I enquired when I would receive the money back and I was informed that it had happened, but upon checking my bank statement I have had nothing back. I asked my bank to look into it and they have asked for details in order to trace the transaction.

Alibris customer service refuse to give any details to trace the transaction, but just send one line emails "assuring" me the transaction is fully complete, but nothing substantial to help trace the refund, if indeed it was ever sent.

They thank me for shopping with them. It should thank me for donating instead.

A really awful experience. I would heartily recommend against using them

This review was modified by borkha on January 27 2015 07:53:05 AM

"First and last time I'll ever purchase from this crap site. I received 1 out of the 2 books I paid for. The one that I received wasn't cared for and just thrown into a plastic packing bag. The second one I never received because they refunded me without first telling me why. I was confused because the email said it was "Shipped." I then emailed them asking why i got a refund when I didn't ask for one. They said they were "Out of stock" for this textbook. Why would it be "shipped" if it was "out of stock"? Very disappointed. If you want to be disappointed and receive mistreated textbooks, order on Alibris "

"I ordered the book at a price of $16. My order was cancelled because they said that the book was no longer available. Book was immediately available for purchase but now at $129. Fortunately I was available to find it elsewhere for a price close to the original price."

Share Alibris's store rating

Alibris is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Alibris is not a merchant member
Alibris does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!