Stores > Universal Cycles
  • Universal Cycle

Product & services pricing Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
Voice your opinion! Review Universal Cycles by clicking a star below.
2017-04-11

Horrific customer service from store owner

"Do not shop with them....HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM MIKE (owner manager or whoever that is).

I have been a very loyal customer of Universal and I have purchased so many products over the years. Just to put in perspective what type of buyer i am:

Since 2014 i spent: $3800 and $1500 (last 12 months). All returns excluded and they are a very minor percentage of my overall purchases.

Sometimes when I shop, I will put a few items in my shopping basket considering that the store doesn't always carry those products on floor and it's hard to tell which size will fit me. So I will often times purchase items of various colors and sizes and return the ones that don't fit me.

Except that today as I placed a few orders for various shoes (5 pairs of shoes at $150/each varying in sizes and colors and some ring pliers for $18 was planning on buying) and I receive voicemail from Mike who told me that he had reviewed my purchase history and said that it would be a "waste of time" (I am not kidding you) for them to be fetching and returning products for me because it was time intensive (as if me trying those out an the store would have been any worse specially considering that now your sales associate has to help me instead of being given the luxury to fetch those products from an online pickup order).

As I was writing this email I decide to just call and speak to the supervisor who happened to be Mike that day. So I explained how insane his request was coming from an online store, Mike Just didn't understand my point despite my various attempts (with me speaking very politely thinking Mike might get it) and the phone call somehow dropped off midway our discussion (i waited for a solid 30 mins thinking that Mike wouldn't want to leave such conversation midway), my online order was also cancelled (not by me and without my request) and I never heard back from the dropped phone call.

So let's just look at another angle (for the business savvy folks) I was planning on buying a very expensive Mtb shoes on my lunch break @$150 (full ticket price) plus another $20 item for a total cost of $170. Let's assume now it takes an incredible long time (1 hour) to fetch those shoes from your shelves and another day 10 mins for the return (70 mins total). So $170/1.167 hr=$101.2/hour worth of wage: with that it' pretty clear you would have made a profit despite all of that effort to fetch stuff off your shelves. But that profit won't be realized because instead I will buy the shoes elsewhere.

Lastly, before you harass your customers for their "terrible" intentions of buying your products you may want to review your return policy because nowhere in your policy you have a clause for not allowing such type of returns which means you have no grounds to be making such phone calls.

Anyhow, if you shop there be sure to know they DO NOT like you to overbuy products because Mike thinks it's a waste of time to fetch those products for you.

2015-10-17

"Have never had a problem with them, recently ordered the wrong tire size and e-mailed, was quickly resolved and promptly refunded as the size I wanted was cheaper. I've ordered from them around 10 times in the past few years.

2014-12-01

"Beware! I was on a waiting list for 2 different hard to find Crane bells. I was emailed that there were 2 in stock, of each, on Thanksgiving day and bought and paid for them within 30 seconds of notification. The site took my order and money. They waited all the way til the end of the end of the day on Dec 1st to email me that one was out of stock. They sold one of the bells I bought online to someone else. I ask for the owner's contact info but no reply. I'd keep away from these guys. "

2013-01-25

"I've ordered from universalcycles several times over the years and have never had any issues with my orders. Sometimes they stock bike parts that I have trouble finding anywhere else. I will use them in the future if the need arises."

2013-01-10

"Those guys are pretty good most of the time. Their inventory is expansive and you can find most parts. Their price match is more like price lower, which is fine for certain instances. Also, shipping usually is quick plus they don't drop ship like most eretailers."

2012-10-07

"My first order from Universal Cycles was excellent. When I received my second order the part (a shifter) had obviously been taken out of the retail box and put back in. It was in new condition and didn't seem to have been used. I guess the part was fine, but I prefer to have my new parts sealed in their factory boxes. I'll have to remove 1 star for it. Otherwise the order was perfect - fast shipping, low price, good email communications, etc. I'll continue to order from Universal Cycles but I may be a little more hesitant, especially if I continue to receive opened items."

2012-07-19

"After spending 500 usd on 3 purchases, I feel like I want to thank UCycles for their excellent performance.
Super fast shipping, Most of the time has the best price (easily beats ebay), coupons.

I recommend it, tons of items in stock.

2012-06-19

"Ordered twice from Universal Cycles, both times it has been a good experience. At least on my orders of brake and derailleur cables, the shipping cost was extremely low too.

Received a couple of emails for status updates which is nice. At least you know the wheels are turning.

I actually found them because I had already made the order with another online bike retailer in Niagara, New York, but it looked like the order was going to take 2 weeks to reach me. Ack!

I'll use Universal Cycles again.

2012-03-08

"Great reseller and have great pricing. Will price match just about any other store, have coupon codes all the time. I ordered a Charge Spoon saddle from them and asked them to price match a free shipping deal. At first they said they would not due to their price being cheaper (would have been a couple dollars more with their cheap shipping) but I placed the order through them anyways. Couple days later I noticed that the price was different on what I was charged, they ended up refunding me the cost of shipping so I only paid for the saddle (a whopping $26 for an incredible saddle). Great customer service, easy site navigation, good pricing. Can't go wrong with these guys!!"

2011-01-27

"I'm very pleased with this company. First of all, their product selection and pricing were exceptional (I was shopping for bicycle tires). Secondly, their shipping system is awesome- they have several warehouses (western to midwestern US) and oftentimes you'll find that every warehouse stocks the item you're shopping for, so you can choose which warehouse you want your product to ship from, to get it delivered ASAP ("Flex Shipping", they call it)- I got mine in 2.5 days!! Also, it's cheap, especially if you place an order with a single (qualifying) line item- "Pick-a-Product Shipping"- try it!!

I'm surprised there aren't more reviews, but not surprised that the reviews they have are positive.

2010-06-02

"All my items shipped fast and came in good condition. Prices on the site were very good, although they also have a lot of items that appear to go in and out of stock frequently. All in all, if I found another item priced as well as the headset I needed in this order, I'd buy from Universal Cycles again."

2010-02-14

"Universal Cycles is a class outfit. Their website is easy to use and up to date (I know, because the brakes I was looking for came in overnight and were newly-listed after being absent the day prior). The selection was very good, and well-ordered on their site. They responded promptly to my email query and were available by phone and helpful when I called. After my evening order, the package shipped the following day, and I received an email notification and tracking information. Additionally, I made use of a 15% off discount that applied to my entire order. "

Share Universal Cycles's store rating

Universal Cycles is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Universal Cycles is not a merchant member
Universal Cycles does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!