• Address: PMB 219 - 823 S. Main St.
    • Contact: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/customerservice.
    • Business Hours: 24/7/365

Product & services pricing Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 7.50/10 7.50/10

"I generally have been satisfied with the products received, though perhaps I haven't tried enough other brands to be sure. The customer service is horrible,at least via email. I have inquired several times about issues and questions with specific products and their reps NEVER directly respond to the actual query.....wonder why?"

"Tropical Traditions offers some good products, although I think some of them are overpriced. Anyway, I'm generally satisfied with their products, with some exceptions. For instance, their raw honey contains no pollen, unlike most truly raw honeys. I find that to be deceptive. And I think their eggs are a ripoff. The last time I bought some, the yolks were all pale. I have never bought eggs from a local farmer that had pale yolks, even in the winter. Furthermore, they merely call their chickens "cage-free," not "free-range." If their chickens really have access to the outside, then why not call them "free-range"? Besides, even "cage-free" chickens often live in very crowded conditions. I'm skeptical that TT's vastly overpriced eggs really come from hens that get to run around outside in the sun. I do not plan to order any eggs from them again.

Concerning TT's Web site, it is very clunky and slow. And the navigation drop-down menus are just plain awful. Trying to shop on their Web site is often a very frustrating experience.

Worse, their customer service is rather poor. They're generally pretty slow in getting back to you, if they even get back to you at all. For instance, I recently called them and left a message, but they never bothered to return my call. How's that for customer service? In addition, they seem to hide their toll-free number (it's very difficult to find on their Web site), and you can rarely talk to a live person. They tell you to just leave a message. Frankly, as much business as this company seems to do, I think it's crazy you can't call and talk to someone. I think they need to hire more people and place more emphasis on customer service. They seem very cheap to me--maybe they should focus more on pleasing customers and less on maximizing their profits.

However, the biggest problem I have with Tropical Traditions is their dishonesty concerning allowing comments on their Web site. Let me explain. TT offers a lot of different recipes using coconut products on their Web site. However, even though they pretend to publish honest comments, it's all just an act. It turns out that they only want *compliments* on their recipes, not honest, constructive criticism. I guess the red flag is that they say all comments on their recipes must be "approved" first. I have never seen another recipe Web site where comments have to be approved first. Is TT that insecure about its recipes???

Anyway, I tried one of their cookie recipes, and had a terrible time with it. It came out more like muffin/cake batter than cookie dough. (I had to add 1 1/4 cups *more* flour than what was specified in the recipe just to get a decent cookie dough!!!) I submitted a comment, saying that I thought the ratio of wet to dry ingredients was seriously out of whack and that the recipe was more like a muffin recipe, but it never showed up. Several days later, I asked why. One of their employees e-mailed me and said that they "couldn't find" my original comment (how convenient), so I had to type up yet another one and send it to her. Well, she never responded to my e-mail, and my new comment never showed up either. So, I e-mailed the woman once again and asked why it hadn't shown up, but she just played dumb, not answering my question. Instead, she just tried to rationalize the recipe, saying that the dough was supposed to be "very, very soft" (which was indicated nowhere in the recipe), and offering to help me find additional recipes that might suit me. But she would not answer my question about why she wouldn't approve my comments. I finally said to her that if Tropical Traditions won't approve honest, constructive criticism of their recipes (while pretending to), then they are being very dishonest. She did e-mail me back--she was certainly polite, but consistently played dumb once again. For instance, she kept saying that TT welcomes honest feedback, but would never address the fact that they wouldn't approve my comments. IOW, she kept talking out of both sides of her mouth. She was definitely very good at sugarcoating TT's dishonesty and discreetly avoiding the issue while at the same time acting like she was being accommodating.

So, in a nutshell, TT only wants glowing reviews of their recipes. If one of their recipes flops for you, they don't want you telling others about it, meaning that they don't care if it flops for others too. In other words, your time, sweat, money, and tears are not important to them--they only seem to care about their own reputation. But I think the biggest reason for their dishonesty is MONEY. They're trying to use their recipes to sell coconut products, and I suspect they feel that negative ratings of their recipes will affect their bottom line. I would recommend avoiding their recipes in general, because you never know if they will turn out or not, since TT suppresses any honest negative feedback. And then they play dumb when you ask why your comments haven't shown up. I had a terrible time with their cookie recipe--I've never seen "cookie dough" that was so runny. But the worst part is definitely TT's dishonesty. If they're being dishonest about this matter, then who knows what else they're being dishonest about? Furthermore, based on their own testimony on their Web site, they call themselves devout Christians, so let's add "hypocrisy" to the list of the flaws of this company as well.

modified review This review was modified by panettonea on August 04 2014 11:28:39 AM

"I received a broken bottle yesterday, emailed them immediately, and within minutes, received an email from a customer service representative apologizing and confirming that a replacement bottle was on the way. I am very happy with their products and their customer service!!
JD

" I tried to buy their large size palm oil. They mislead you by saying that the large sizes are available, but ONLY to their buyer's club members. What their site shows BEFORE you pay is different from what they show AFTER you pay. You don't find out until AFTER you pay to join that the product is not available for sale to ANYONE. This fact is hidden until AFTER you pay to join.
After I joined, I found out there was no way to buy the product. They don't answer the phone. I might have to go through the credit union to get a refund.

"Tropical traditions has the best coconut oil. I have ordered twice from website and have referred many people because it is a great product. However My father in law and myself have recently been victims of credit card/debit card fraud with multiple small amount online charges to our accounts. Also have had credit reports ordered on us. The charges for both of us are from Portland, Oregon. Buyers beware!!!"

modified review This review was modified by fraudwarning on May 16 2012 03:54:33 PM

"I don't know who these people are you have been ordering from, because the Tropical Traditions I know did not have this awesome turnaround time, and my package of two 32-ounce jars of coconut oil came badly packed and broken. I have contacted customer service twice on their website (this is the only way they allow you to contact them) to ask them what to do, but I have not received a response. It's been three days. I'm sending it back and asking them to credit me rather than get a replacement, because I don't do business with companies that don't communicate with their customers. If they refuse my request, I'll be back to let you know.

OK....so they are sending me a replacement through fedex for faster delivery. The customer service lady replied that I could have gotten their phone number from the website or on my invoice, and I responded that it was not listed on either. But I'm gonna bump up their rating just for replacing the shattered jars.

"This is my 2nd order from Tropical Traditions. Their massage oils are wonderful to work with, nice glide & scents not too overwhelming. I have been looking for coconut oil with arnica blend for awhile, that's when I discovered this company. They say that their massage oils will not go rancid. I may not experience that due to my usage - Just love them! I also tried their Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil for cooking. Getting Raves from my family! I will definitely be trying all their products in the near future. I like their natural, organic, no chemicals concept. And kudos to Tropical Traditions for employing indegenous people from around the world!Superb & friendly customer service."

"I had a great experience ordering from Tropical Traditions and I will order from them again and again. The products are outstanding!"

"I placed my first order with Tropical Traditions. I ordered steaks. Before, I placed my order I had a question for customer service. I sent them an email with my question. I was very pleased at the quick response. I was then able to place my order with confidence. The steaks arrived on time. I was impressed with how wonderful they looked. I was even more impressed with how great they tasted. I look forward to placing more orders in the future."

"I love Tropical Traditions! I order all my coconut products from them! They have the best quality coconut oil, coconut cream concentrate & shredded coconut. The coconut chips are the best snack ever!! I recommend to all my friends, especially my Paleo eating friends!"

"This is the first time I every tried to order over the internet. Tropical Traditions made it really easy and fast. I love all the products I got. Especially the virgin cocnut oil and the personal care items. "

"I shop here monthly! Never had disappointments. The quality of their oil and other coconut products cannot be found in stores. I definitely appreciate a company like this one, that takes pride in their high quality products that are good for our health. "

"tropical tradition is my favorite website to buy my vco.
I never encountered any problem with this company.
The customer service is great. They respond well and very professional. The shipping and payment choices are
wide and complete.

"Excellent quality Virgin coconut oil. Shipping was quick (2days) & product arrived in mint condition! Highly recommend. "

"I was annoyed that out-of-stock items aren't flagged until you attempt to add them to your cart. I also think that 'retail' price quotes on the website are deceptive because their branded products are not available anywhere else, as best I can tell. Shipping charges are a little high, but they offer frequent shipping specials. This particular order consisted of frozen meat products that arrived in perfect condition. Overall, I've had good service and received excellent products from Tropical Traditions."

Tropical Traditions is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Tropical Traditions is not a merchant member
Tropical Traditions does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!