ToshibaCoupons

Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.50/10 1.50/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 3.50/10 3.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10

"I bought a Toshiba Satellite L45T-A4230NR in August of 2013, which comes with a standard 1 year warranty. About 3/4 of the way into the 1 year warranty (May 2014), the hard drive died (think infamous blue screen). After numerous phone calls I finally received instructions to pay for the shipping and to ship it to a Toshiba-certified repair shop. I received the repaired notebook about 1 and 1/2 weeks later and everything seemed to be working well.

Three months after the warranty expired, the hdd crashed again. It would start up and work for a couple of minutes, but then it would freeze and the hard drive would stop working (or at least it wasn't making any noise). The next day, knowing that it was out of warranty and therefore Toshiba wouldn't really do anything to help, I took it to a computer expert. The expert told me that the hdd has died and it's only at about 20% capacity. He also asked me why I had a REFURBISHED hdd and explained that refurbished hdds are used hard drives which were broken and then repaired. However, refurbished hdds could NEVER BE REPAIRED fully and the old problems always CAME BACK (which was why I was having issues with this supposedly "new" hdd).

Indeed, I was quite surprised to find out that Toshiba had used a refurbished hard drive for the repair because I wasn't informed of that fact and was left with the impression that a new hdd was put in (having no reason to check it, I did not discover this fact until the hdd died again). I asked the computer expert to double check if it was really a refurbished hdd and found out that the hdd had a label stating it was "refurbished." Why is this a problem? Well, using refurbished hdds is apparently illegal because it's like "repairing" a laptop with a defective product ON PURPOSE. In other words, Toshiba would still be LIABLE for any issues caused by the refurbished hdd their repair shop put in (even if the warranty for the computer had expired).

Of course, I called Toshiba (I spoke with a woman called Florence) to ask them why they used refurbished hard drives during repairs, if it just meant that the person receiving the repair will have to deal with another hard drive disaster in a few months. At this, Toshiba denied that they ever used refurbished hard drives and told me that I must be wrong. I explained that their repair serviceman was the last to ever touch the hdd and there was a "refurbished" sign on the hdd when an expert looked at it because it crashed again. At this, they reiterated that they do not use refurbished hard drives for repair and basically insinuated that I conjured a refurbished drive out of nowhere and put it in my laptop so I can crash it. Now, as much as I appreciate Toshiba's overestimation of my technical savviness, there is no way I'd pull off such an elaborate scheme just so I could crash my own computer a few months after repairs and have to deal with the aftermath of all my lost files. I even asked, if they had a system in place to keep track of hard drives they replaced (so I could just read the serial number on the refurbished hdd and they could check it against their system to prove they put it there) and conveniently enough, they told me they don't keep track of the products they repair (?!).

I tried talking to a supervisor (a guy named Robin) as well, but he told me that because my warranty had expired and because Toshiba only uses new hard drives in repairs, the only think he could do was file a complaint about how my "refurbished hdd of unknown origins" ended up in my laptop after Toshiba repairs. He told me my only recourse was to call the repair department and pay for an out-of-warranty repair which would cost virtually the same as the original price of the notebook. Coincidentally, when I asked the out-of-warranty repairman if Toshiba can guarantee that this time, I won't end up with a random refurbished hdd after the repair, I was told not to worry because the repairmen buy the hdds on their own and get reimbursed after the repair. When I inquired as to how they make sure that the repairmen don't buy refurbished hard discs, I was told that they just don't. Well Toshiba, according to my magically-appearing refurbished hdd, at least one does. Needless to say, I began looking for a new laptop.

The next day, I got a call from the supervisor I had filed the complaint with. His advice was to buy a new laptop because it would be the same price as the repair. The kicker? When I looked up available laptops within the price range and specifications he mentioned, none of them were Toshiba laptops. Yes, that's right! A customer service supervisor for Toshiba basically told me that in order to solve my problem, I should not buy a Toshiba laptop. Well, I'm happy to report that I'll take that advice to heart and this was the first and will be THE LAST TIME I buy a Toshiba!!!

"i dropped my laptop two months after purchasing it and got dead pixels. called customer service and said its not covered. well it is a touchscreen and they want more money to repair the screen than i paid for the laptop brand new with everything ill just junk this one and go buy a more reliable brand"

"Customer service SUCKS!! 39 inch TV under warrenty. Numerous problems No service center within 100 miles of San Diego. ARE YOU KIDDING?? They want me to pay the shipping and handling cost to sent it to L.A. 2 days and 3 hours of numerous agents asking the same questions. Toshiba never again. "

modified review This review was modified by perrrr on October 24 2014 02:00:53 PM

"I am extreamly disappointed and furious with the lack of customer service that I received from Toshiba.

My mother bought me a BRAND new laptop in December 2013. It is now October 2014 and my computer is still under the 1 year manufactures warranty. The screen on my laptop suddenly stopped working and it is clearly a hardware issue on Toshiba's part. After countless phone calls too the companies call centers, wasting hours on the phone trying to talk to someone who is halfway around the world, I did not appreciate being called a liar; being told that it was MY fault that the computer was in the condition it's in. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? YOU'RE HALFWAY ACROSS THE WORLD AND HAVE NEVER SEEN MY COMPUTER!! HOW DO YOU KNOW??

After having a certified tech look at my computer, HE came to the conclusion that it was also a hardware issue. I paid the company $30 for safe shipping and handling to finally get it fixed, and it was disapproved, and sent back to me in even worse shape than when I sent it out.

Toshiba, you are a fraudulent company and I am sorry for myself and anyone who puts their trust into your product. The way you treat your customers is absolutely disturbing, and unacceptable. I am planning on taking legal action against your company, because I don't take lightly what you guys have done. I am a full time student and employee, I have pictures of my deceased father and I cannot view the pictures anymore. This is MUCH more than an inconvenience. You all should be ashamed of being the greedy, good-for-nothings that you are, and I will be advising all my friends and family to stay away from your products.

"I must say im very surprised at the bad reviews on here I had a toshiba blue ray player last christmas and it was great until it developed a fault ten months down the line, a quick phone and they replaced the box and remote within two days delivered free of charge no problem at all... great customer service if u ask me"

modified review This review was modified by lee1984 on October 02 2014 08:32:51 AM

"I just want all consumers to be aware of TOSHIBA WHICH HAS THE MOST UNFRIENDLY UNHELPFUL HORRIBLE NASTY CUSTOMER SERVICE.THEY WERE TOTALLY UTTERLY USELESS. EVEN WHEN YOU BRING IT TO TOSHIBA'S CUSTOMER SERVICES ATTENTION THEY JUST WRITE BACK THIS PATHETIC MESSAGE HERE IS THEIR RESPONSE IN "QUOTES"

"Dear Valued Customer, We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the support you have received from the Toshiba Support Team. Unfortunately, Toshiba Direct Customer Service cannot assist with external hard drive support or warranty claim. Please contact Acclaim at 888-592-0944 option 1 for assistance with your external hard drive issue.

Toshiba Direct Customer Service"

Here is the Complaint I made about Toshiba's HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE & The R

To Whom it may concern.
I am writing this to Toshiba customer service for the first time. As I am a new customer to Toshiba. I never owned a Toshiba product before.  So As I was in a BEST BUY STORE WHERE I PURCHASED A Toshiba One Terabyte External Hard Drive. I had decided to give a chance to Toshiba as I was NOT Familiar with this brand name. It was two months after this Purchase of this Todhiba External hard drive JUST STOPPED WORKING. I Called Tech Support THEY talked back At Me. Not even HELPING Me.
WORSE THAN THAT I WAS PUT ON HOLD BY TECHNICAL SUPPORT BY THE Toshiba Technical support agent for Almost Twenty five minutes only to come back on the phone and tell so sorry but I Cant Help. So I asked for The Technical Support Agents Supervisor. I Had to literially Verbally Fight with This Technical Support Agent to get to even speak to. He tried to Fool Me Saying And I Quote This Toshiba Technical Support Agent " I DONT HAVE ANYBODY HERE WHO IS A SUPERVISOR OVER ME" END QUOTE. I WISH THAT WAS THE END OF THIS TERRIBLE NASTY HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE ORDEAL. BUT THAT WAS NOT THE END. ALTHOUGH I WISH IT HAD BEEN. SO I DECIDED TO CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE THE NEXT DAY.
ONLY TO BE TALKED DOWN TO TREATED LIKE GARBAGE. I FINALLY GOT FED UP WITH THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT. I HAD NO CHOICE  BUT TO FINALLY ASK FOR THE SUPPORT AGENTS SUPERVISOR WHO'S NAME HE TOLD ME WAS CEASER. I REMEMBER HIS  SINCE HE TREATED ME WITH TOTAL DISRESPECT & AGAIN MADE MATTERS WORSE BY TALKING DOWN TO ME. I ASKED CEASER THE SUPERVISOR FOR HIS SUPERVISOR ONLY TO BE TOLD AND I QUOTE " I AM THE HIGHEST SUPERVISOR HERE. THERE IS NO ONE HIGHER THEN HIM. FINALLY AFTER TAKING ALL THIS NASTINESS AND DISRESPECT FROM THIS SUPERVISOR CEASER AND BEING TOLD BY THIS SUPERVISOR CEASER HOW THERE IS NO ONE HIGHER THEN HIMSELF CEASER THE SUPERVISOR SAID TO ME. FINALLY I JUST GAVE UP! AND THAT IS WHEN I JUST HUNG UP MY PHONE ON CEASER THE TOSHIBA CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR.

I REALLY NEVER DO THIS. HOWEVER THE HORRIBLE TRAUMA I HAD TO DEAL WITH GOT TO THE POINT THAT I AM SAVING THIS TO PUT THIS ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK, EVERYWHERE PEOPLE CAN READ REVIEWS AND SO ON. I AM ALSO WRITING TO MAKE IT CLEAR AND KNOWN CUSTOMERS ARE PEOPLE AT THE END OF THE DAY. AS WELL CUSTOMERS HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT AND DIGNITY. TODAY SHOWS HOW TOSHIBA DOES NOT VALUE ITS CUSTOMERS WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. I TRULY HOPE THIS WAKE UP CALL HERE TODAY. TRULY MAKES A DIFFERENCE. THAT TOSHIBA WILL REALLY TAKE A GOOD SOLID LOOK AT HOW THEIR CUSTOMERS ARE TREATED.

SINCERELY

JOSEPH WHITE

modified review This review was modified by nosonrox1 on June 03 2014 09:44:54 PM

"I purchased a S50-ABDX laptop in sept 2013. When I got home and tried to start it up it did nothing. Called Toshiba they told me to return it and get another one, the mother board wasn't working properly. 4 months later same thing happens, send it to Toshiba to be repaired under warranty. 3 weeks go by and I call them and they tell me that the mother board is defective (again) and that they will only receive the part in 3 weeks. Not happy. 3 weeks go by no computer and no call backs. I left 3 messages to the "supervisor" in charge. I think all the cust service people are "supervisors". Now after talking to 3 different people I find out they have ordered another part and it will be march 10th when they receive the part. They will have my laptop for at least 61 days now. I ask the rep for an email or phone # of a manager in cust support. His answer "I can't get in touch with them right now" "I don't have there email or phone #" All I said was that was the most incompetent answer I have ever herd. For sure this is THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE that I have had to deal with.....EVER. And I still don't have my laptop, they say that someone will call me in 3 days."

modified review This review was modified by ericdutton on February 28 2014 04:27:56 PM

"I recently bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite C55 and it was my worst purchase ever. The Wifi conection could not be slower. I've looked up in some forums and it seems to be a common problem for Toshiba users... in my case I tried everything but it still doesn't work. Plus, the mousepad stopped working after a couple of weeks. Finally, the customer support did not give me any answer. Toshiba, never again."

modified review This review was modified by nalvarez102 on February 24 2014 07:41:58 PM

"Bought a 42 " LED TV approximately 4 yrs ago for ;1,200.00 and hardly even used it. Now the TV won't work and I was told by the repair shop it needs a motherboard costing about $800.00, almost what the TV cost. Called customer service and they could care less. Seems this is a major problem with these TVs as I found by searching on the Internet. My other smaller Toshiba just did the same thing. i have a Sony that's twice the age and is on 24/7 and never had a problem. Bottom line, never buy a Toshiba TV!!! Piece of crap! Go with Samsung or Sony."

modified review This review was modified by Chancetika12 on December 24 2013 01:57:33 PM

"I just tried their support line and went in circles.
I decided after being on the phone for a half hour and they kept giving me another number it always ended up being the same recordings.
I was going to purchase one of their portable hard drives but after trying to talk with someone I decided not to by any of their products.
Horrible customer service.

modified review This review was modified by lalmeda on August 12 2013 09:19:04 AM

dianeaakin's Avatar
Pomona, CA

"I owned a Toshiba laptop for 10 years and it always was reliable. Never got sluggish like some of the other manufacturers models did. Also, my mother is the president of a fairly large computer club and has been for many years so when I decided to purchase a new laptop I asked her advise. She hears all he complaints. She recommended Toshiba because from her experience and the experience of her users they have had very little trouble with them and it is a much more open ended system then HP or Dell. She told me to NOT to buy HP because her users have had nothing but problems with them and having to send them back to the manufacturer to get them fixed and they come back not fixed. Many of users own HP's because of their price point. The Toshiba laptop I was looking at to purchase was exactly what I needed with the CPU power, hard drive space and memory. It was a line that they were discontinuing which was information I received from her husband after he researched it further for me and the price point was very good for the specifications. They stated that I would receive it in about 3 to 5 days and I received the laptop in 4 days. Here's the best part ~ I have had it for a few months and it is performing beautifully. I could not be happier. "

"I bought a Toshiba Satellite L875 and it crashed completely. It never worked properly. They refused to replace it and instead charged me $25 to ship it back to them for "possible" repair. Their customer service department is unprofessional and rude. They care nothing about quality. I will never buy another thing from them. "

"I am disapointed. A compter lasted 2 1/2 years before the motherboard burned. I am very careful with computers. It was never too hot. I use an extra fan to cool it. The fixing was more expensive than a new computer! what the... I wrote to Toshiba Japan. Never got an answer. They dont care about their customers. i will NEVER but Toshiba again and wil make bad advertising to it"

modified review This review was modified by artcor on December 15 2012 10:02:33 AM

"Bought a Toshiba satellite 550 laptop just over 2 years ago and the motherboard completely failed. Even after having it replaced it still did not work! Toshiba would do nothing...hid behind the fact that the warranty had expired. After owning many computers and brands over the years ....Toshiba is junk!! Their attitude is arrogance!! Buy a Gateway or Dell or anything but a Toshiba. Even filed a complaint with the BBB and they will still do nothing. Every other company has tried to work with me if there was an issue with their product...not Toshiba. What a sad commentary on this company."

"What I purchased - I was one that pre-ordered the Thrive 10 inch tablet.

Good - I have really found the full sized port useful from time to time. Specifically the USB and HDMI.

Bad - I am however unhappy with Toshiba's commitment to Android. They don't communicate with consumers about updates even if the hardware is capable of running it & the updates they have done always have issues. There are also some design issues of the hardware as well. The placement of the SD card makes it so if you bump it wrong you can loose the SD card. I have lost one. The AC adapter has issues. The plug easily breaks off leaving a piece in the tablet & requires you to purchase a new adapter. All of this makes me question Toshiba's ability to produce quality product & shows me they aren't committed to the products they produce.

Toshiba is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Toshiba is not a merchant member
Toshiba does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!