• ThredUP

Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.01/10 1.01/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.56/10 1.56/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.11/10 1.11/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.60/10 0.60/10

"I am very disappointed in thredUP. I sent 15 items in - good condition, accepted designers, etc. Only three were accepted. I was new to thredUP and should have set in a check for returning items. I a do much better at my local consignment shop. I will never use then again."

"Just add me to the BIG LIST Of people SCAMMED BY Thredup
No decent communication with this company.
Sent them a nice bag of clothing that I paid nearly
$500 new, Received $11 for my bag. They never aCknowleged getting the bag. When I emailed them with questions about my bag, the only response was to check my account. Their webpages are not user friendly.
They are a bunch of crooks, I was too trusting. Too bad I did not check out these reviews .
Stay away from these THRED UP CROOKS.

"VERY DISAPPOINTED. I have sent items to ThredUp several times. The first time they offered me $40 for the entire bag because they were behind on processing. They told me it would be a long wait otherwise so I accepted the $40. I thought I would give them another try. The second time, I was offered somewhere around $34 (I cannot tell the exact amount as their website will not show me all of my account details). I was disappointed. Then, over the next several months I received email after email from them letting me know that my items were selling for much more $. They made well over 100% profit. Mistakenly, I gave them ONE more try thinking that the items I was sending were VERY GOOD quality...name brand...NEW or LIKE NEW items. I sent tons of name brand jeans, at least 10 new or like new girls semi-formal/dressy holiday dresses (ALL NAME BRAND) and much, much more. They accepted only 7 items and paid me $16.95. I think I have finally learned my lesson. It is NOT WORTH IT. I am extremely disappointed. I had recommended this service to many friends who have tried it as well. I have notified them to let them know not to waste their time in the future. I'd rather donate the clothes. "

modified review This review was modified by jjkkreed on April 29 2015 06:31:35 AM

"I was hoping to get some cash from ThredUp and did all the requirements listed on their site only to get an email a month later notifying me that none of the clothing I sent were suitable. As a result my clothes were donated.
The clothing I sent were nearly new. It's a huge risk sending your clothes to them because you're going off of basic "guidelines" listed on their website that are and not actual offers. And if you want to insure your clothes (have them mail back your unsaleable clothing) you have to pay $13. Why would anyone want to pay for their used clothes a 2nd time? Biggest scam. Stay away!!

modified review This review was modified by PhoenixDen on April 27 2015 02:12:07 PM

"my recent email sent to the company:
Dear Thredup.com-
When I heard of your website, I thought it sounded like a great idea. I decided to try it out and sent a selection of merchandise. A designer bag with matching shoes, a pair of Coach heels worn twice and a few odds and ends, some designer, some from Old Navy and Lane Bryant.

Your selection to pay me for was sad, a Michael Kors top, Old Navy and some Lane Bryant garments totaling $21. Since I had designer pieces, I opted for the return, so I got a whopping $8.
I was shocked that you didn’t take the Ungaro, Kate Spade and Coach, regardless, my complaint is the condition of the return bag. I took the time to stuff the toes of the shoes and fill the handbag with tissue paper to send. I folded each piece meticulously so they would arrive in good condition. The return? All the tissue was gone and everything was balled up and stuffed in the bag.

I am sadly disappointed with your service. After reading recently all the complaints piling up about your operation, I think you need to rethink your policies and start focusing on customer satisfaction. As a professional in the fashion industry and professor of marketing and merchandising, you can be sure I will not be recommending your service to anyone in the Chicago area.

modified review This review was modified by Suedeangel on April 26 2015 06:23:16 PM

"THRED UP = RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I received the list of what they took the other day. To say I was displeased would be an understatement. Among the items I included in my bag were a brand new pair of Enzo Angiolini leopard flats (brand new/never worn and purchased within the past year), brand new with tags Talbots periwinkle blazer (again, never worn and purchased within past 2 years), True Religion jeans (worn twice and in excellent condition) and a lightweight slate colored Banana Republic blazer.

These items were NOT accepted by them? When I look on their website they have a pair of Enzo Angiolini leopard heels in the “newest arrivals” that are almost identical to the flats I sent you. At first I thought perhaps they didn’t take them because of the season, but they took a pair of the same in heels? They didn’t take True Religion jeans….really? These are extremely expensive and I could have sold them to several different consignment shops in my area. They would have paid top dollar for them.
What are you doing with all the brand new and high end items you didn’t accept???? Selling them somewhere else for your own profit???

modified review This review was modified by laura21264 on April 25 2015 06:55:37 AM

"I had cleaned out all my dressers and my closet and was going to sell them to ThredUP thinking I would get paid at least 30$ for all those clothes. Instead, I'm getting paid $5.90. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? THIS WEBSITE IS A RIP OFF! Do NOT, I repeat do NOT sell to ThredUP. Save your money!!!"

modified review This review was modified by Kathryn321 on April 22 2015 05:35:06 AM

"Please rethink sending your clothes to ThredUp. I sent in my polkadot bag in over a month and a half ago, and didn't receive confirmation that the bag had been received until like a week ago. I got $0 payout and I had some beautiful clothes still with the tags on. If I knew they were just taking peoples clothes for corporate gain I definitely would have donated to a much worthier cause. But you live and learn. "

"In the interest of balance, I thought I would provide a more level-headed review of the site having actually thoroughly read everything on it. I'm a college student who has been buying and selling clothing for three years. I'm very familiar with the value of items and how much you can reasonably expect to receive from a reseller. I've read hundreds of negative reviews for this company over several sites and I can definitely say at least fifty percent of the complaints are due to the reviewer not actually having any idea as to the value of their items. The payouts are clearly identified on the site. They clearly state that office wear is much more selective and that you can email them if you are unsure. A NWT 100$ pair of banana republic basic slacks would sell for maybe 15$ in a consignment store. When they sell for the same price here you would get something like two dollars, around what you would get from the competitor, LikeTwice (which I also like and sell to). I have only had one bag processed but received an impressive payout that was well within the ranges quoted on the site. The only flaw- a Ralph Lauren Black Label sweater that was listed as a Ralph Lauren blue label sweater-was quickly and professionally fixed and the payout adjusted. I am awaiting processing of the second bag. I have, however, only been using the site for about two months. I can't vouch for the fairness of the payouts or the transparency of the website before then.
Basically- if your clothing is less than the Catherine Malandrino, Nanette Lepore, Rebecca Taylor, Robert Rodriguez, Tibi tier of value then it has almost no inherent value except for what sales tactics can garner for it. The lower payouts for lower end clothing are because the photographing, processing, advertising, etc take just as much time as the higher end pieces. A shirt that will sell for ten dollars could have five dollars worth of labor the same as a shirt that will sell for a hundred dollars. You could make more eBay. If you choose to go that route, time how many man-hours it takes to photograph, list and describe each one of those pieces, cheap and expensive alike. That is why the payouts are lower on low end items.
In summary,
Experienced sellers- first bag was worth it. 40% upfront beats in store 40% consignment. Up front payment was good. Consignment pieces haven't been sold yet but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Non-experienced sellers- if you are the average person with less than a million dollar home expect your stuff to be worth very little. You might get like 5% of the retail value. This is about right. Many of the belligerent reviews throwing around words like 'stealing' and 'unfair payouts' should have actually read the FAQs and clothing calculator. Any to those who think they 'looked over it and it was definitely perfect'. Sorry. I've been doing this for several years I can swear some pieces are PERFECT and had consignment store workers nicely point out loose stitches or faint stains. For those of you who don't do this regularly I can almost promise you you missed a lot more than you caught.
In summary- do your homework, know your stuff, THEN complain if you have a legitimate grievance.
UPDATE- upfront 230$ cleared at exactly two weeks.-clearly they have fixed what ever tech issue was there.

modified review This review was modified by thiguchi on April 20 2015 12:27:28 PM

"Very unhappy all around. Clothing and handbag sent in were not accepted due to signs of wear? Some items were brand new with tags attached. Pay out prices are ridiculously low. $10.05 total for a pair of Levis jeans, A&F jeans, Forever 21 jeans, Hollister Shorts, A'gaci top and Anna Shoes. This is what I'm paid? The rest of my items were "sent for donation" including a Coach handbag had been used for only 3 days. Shipping of items ordered take way too long compared to the competitor TWICE. I won't shop here again nor refer friends. And CERTAINLY won't advise anyone to sell items through here. My mistake for not paying for a return bag. Didn't imagine that so many nice things would have been rejected. "

modified review This review was modified by kat721 on April 17 2015 06:15:02 PM

"I too will not be sending any more items to them!
Cents on the dollar is all I got for items that were brand new never worn.
Idea is good but the payout not so much.

"I recently sent a bag of "new without tags" clothing to Thred Up. These were clothes I had bought on a whim, removed the tags, hung in my closet, and never wore. According to their selling standards, I should have made at the very least $5 and item. You guys...they paid me $11. For SIX ITEMS. And they "rejected" at least that many that were also NWOT. I sent a similar bag to Twice. They paid me between $4 and $11....PER ITEM!!! And didn't reject anything.

I know who will be getting my business for both selling and buying. Thred up is a scam.

DO NOT SELL TO THRED UP!!

modified review This review was modified by Krisjoy21 on April 14 2015 06:40:42 PM

"Just need to vent that this place was the answer to my prayers!! I say WAS because I have gotten burned multiple times by them. It seems that when you send them junky stuff, like old navy and h and m and the like you get paid out, but if you send them anything that is worth anything it mysteriously gets donated!!! No joke I've sent Stuart Weitzman shoes, D and G shoes, kate spade bags (2) Leather Cynthia Rowley bag, Current Elliot, Seven and True Religion Denim, and beautiful Vertigo suit, Bruno Magli shoes, Lots of Anthropologie tops and pants…. all of it not even considered. Of the lot they only accepted 2 pairs of H and M pants and gave me 3 dollars and change!! I made some money with them for a while and then 2 times on 2 separate orders the entire bag save a few cheap items disappeared. I was so angry I asked to have it sent back, and I would pay the return fee and they said it was too late. They later sent a review of the help I received and miraculously I could not log on to leave a bad review. I asked about this and they said that there was no problem with my log in which was true, i could log in to shop or sell, but not to review….. really bad business. Also I had ordered a great pari of pants, was charged and they never shipped, I complained and they said that they were packed in the box….Hello they we're not in there, AND I was charged! Ultimately they did refund my money, but I never got the pants. I think if this problem is not with the actual company than they have a bunch of thieved working for them. I would totally not be surprised though if they have another online company, or satellite store that sells all the consignment stuff that they rip off from other suspecting customers… I emptied out my account and will not do business with them again. I suggest if you plan on using them for consigning your stuff you pay the 12.00 return fee…. better yet sell with Twice, that is what I will do from now on, they tell you why they are not accepting your item and they give you the option to have all returned to you for 5$ AWESOME! Don't use Thred Up!!!"

"Provided false information online regarding a Kate Spade bag (stated to be authentic with a retail price if $495). The bag is a fake. I'm also looking into whether the Coach bag I also purchased from them is a fake, too."

modified review This review was modified by VesPrep on April 07 2015 12:00:38 PM

"ThredUP stole my designer handbag, a Pour la Victoire bag in black. They sold the same style for $200+ the month before in khaki. I did not check the box agreeing to pay for return shipping because I knew my bag was in excellent condition and they would accept it as they just sold the same style in another color the month prior. This is the reason I sent it to ThreadUp and not my local consignment shop. In addition ThreadUp was running a promotion where they pay you 100% of the commission. Instead of paying me ANYTHING they simply kept the bag. When I inquired they told me there was a small 1/16in tear visible only by a light. They sent a photo which showed no hole at all, only my bag with a ruler next to it. When I requested the bag back they told me it was "impossible to locate" because it had been separated out as it is was deemed unacceptable. I'm convinced ThreadUp is keeping all of this "unaccepted" merchandise and either selling it somewhere else or handing it off to employees. This is stealing. They also ignored my email and social media messages when I called them out on it."

modified review This review was modified by mk918 on April 06 2015 08:49:31 PM

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!