Stores > ThredUP

Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.00/10 1.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.07/10 2.07/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.46/10 1.46/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.88/10 0.88/10
Voice your opinion! Review ThredUP by clicking a star below.
2017-05-27

Segregation is a Bait and Switch.

"I actually really enjoy thredUP for the buying portion of the site. I loved the convenience of choosing my sizes and color preferences and having them sorted for me. HOWEVER.. things got weird one day when a friend of mine got an acct and found stuff she thought I'd like and sent me their links. One of the items I had no issue with, but the other kept coming up as "unavailable" even though she was able to purchase it still. So I contacted customer service, what I got back... was far from calming. Here's the a part from that conversation: (can't fit it all due to character limits)

Chat started on 24 May 2017, 02:57 PM (GMT+0)
(03:09:45) Olivia: It sounds like your friend might be assigned to a different DC.
(03:10:02) Olivia: I do see that your account is assigned to the proper distribution center.
(03:10:33) ME: She's sent me a lot of other links to clothes in the past that I've been able to look at or purchase... this is the first time I haven't been able to.
(03:10:57) ME: In fact, she sent me two links today. One was a dress - which I was able to put in my cart - and this shirt.
(03:12:28) Olivia: I see, alright, so your friends account is a fairly new account. We are running a test that allows some accounts to view all inventory we have available across all distribution centers.
(03:12:57) Olivia: Once her account gets a few more orders placed, she'll be assigned directly to one Distribution center based on her shipping address.
(03:14:23) ME: That seems awfully misleading.. and bad business. It's pretty much saying we can't have access to the same things everyone else does because the company doesn't want to pay shipping costs.
(03:15:25) Olivia: It actually keeps shipping costs and times at a fast and affordable rate for the customers.
(03:15:32) Olivia: We do this for the customer's benefit.
(03:15:51) Olivia: We're looking at feedback in regards to this test, and definitely will take your feedback into account.
(03:17:16) ME: The FAQ never stated that some items are only available by region. In fact, it only ever said pricing was a little different to accommodate the shipping costs.
(03:18:09) Olivia: I apologize for this confusion.
(03:19:42) ME: I'm not confused. I'm actually very amazed with how poorly this company handles it's mixed signals. The item tells me it's unavailable. Your own FAQ clearly says "When an item is ‘unavailable’, that means it is in another customer’s cart. Since every single item on thredUP is unique, only one person can claim and purchase each item." which, I know isn't true.. because she is able to get the item.
(03:21:09) ME: But there is 0 acknowledgement of limitations based on geographical area, other than pricing inflation or deflation. I'm sure you're just reading a script, or maybe no one has ever challenged this problem head on... but it's quite a big flaw in the system to say one thing.. and mean another.
(03:21:13) Olivia: Yes, I apologize. The FAQ for this topic does need to be updated.
(03:22:13) Olivia: We apologize for the frustration and disappointment of this policy. We appreciate your feedback, and I will be forwarding this to our team who is in charge of this test.
(03:24:49) ME: This was enlightening, I'll be sure to post this information for everyone to have access to. It only seems fair. Thanks for.. well... responding, I suppose. It's not your fault after all.
(03:25:54) Olivia: No worries, this information is available for anyone who inquires.
(03:27:11) ME: Right.. but it doesn't seem to be asked often - if at all - and the answers are very convoluted. And obviously the FAQ says nothing about it - so it's really not that available if no one thinks to ask "are there items I'm NOT able to see?"

Upon further investigation it looks like yes, you have access to a good deal of clothing still, but miss out on a lot more of the high-end items they advertise for low prices. The closer you are to, say, NY or LA the better chances of getting an awesome designer piece. Segregation of purchase shouldn't be a thing.. but apparently it's real and it's a big disappointment! Just keep making NEW accts, I guess.

2017-05-26

They take 90% of the money they make from you!

"They take 90% and so you get dimes and nickels for your good quality items you send them! I rather give to Goodwill or Savers any day. I will never send to thread up ever again. "

2017-05-25

DO NOT SEND THEM YOUR CLOTHES

"DO NOT SEND THEM YOUR CLOTHES- I sent in a bag full of rarely used or new (with tags) clothing, including a pair of heels that I would not be able to wear during my pregnancy. I sent in more than 20 of my rarely used pre-pregnancy clothing (multiple pairs of denim, new skirts, new dresses, etc.) with the expectation that I would use the subsequent payout to purchase maternity clothing from thredUP. Instead, I was offered a measly $4.97... and according to their posting, they're selling my items for a total of $72.

It took over a week before anyone responded to me or my request to have my clothing returned to me, and once they did respond, it was essentially to tell me that "We provide our sellers with all the information they would need on our clean-out bag page and FAQs," so tough luck.

I'm writing this review, because I really wish I had known that this is how thredUP takes advantage of sellers. Please beware - DO NOT send in your clothing unless you don't want anything for it.

2017-05-23

Can I use a negative number of stars?

"I agree with others that experienced the bait and switch. First bags I sent out received reasonable (not great, but certainly worth the effort) payout. My second bags are a mystery. Tory Burch flats in great condition relegated to "the Basement" yet selling for $64.99 on commission (meaning no payout until sold). Other items that should have easily been accepted are simply missing. They went to "donation". Ummm, Marc Jacobs handbag in "like new" condition is unacceptable????? You have got to be kidding me.

If you want to recapture some of your expense on designer items, I highly suggest Poshmark, Tradesy, Facebook marketplace, Craig's list.... anything but the ThredUp scam.

2017-05-19

Doesn't even deserve 1 star

"Worse company!!!! Don't send your clothes here. They are liars. "

come on!

"I sent a bag of stuff i paid at least $500 for in the past 8 months. kate spade shoes, vince camuto dresses, tahari suits. I got....wait for it....$5!!!!! seriously? I get the concept but that is just absurd. No more dealings with this company."

SHOULD HAVE FOUND THESE REVIEWS BEFORE I WENT TO SELL

"Wouldn't waste my time again. January and February: Ordered a bag; sent my items; waited . . . waited . .. finally called in March to see what was up and the said my bag was 'waiting processing' . Waited some more. Finally contacted them today. No more phone number visible on their site but 'live chat' was their help. Live chat kept referring me to links. Just wanted a reconciliation and info as to what was accepted. Apparently 90% of what was in my bag was unacceptable - plus size T-Shirt Liz Clairborne; new bathing suit - and others not worthy of their brand I guess. What they did sell left me with $0.00. Hopefully the sales covered their $9.95 bag charge. "

2017-05-17

Should have read the reviews first

"I wish I had read these reviews first and saved myself the pain of getting $2 for hundreds of dollars worth of clothes. I can't believe they take a 91% commission! There is ZERO transparency in how the payout actually works and they don't set expectations well at all. What a huge rip off. I wish I never sent in my clothes. I'm sticking with Poshmark from now on."

2017-05-16

Scam artists

"This is a horrible company. I have sold three bags. The first is how they sucker you in. They give you a nice payout. But the next bags after that end up with a 9.99 fee for using the service. It takes over a month for them to identify what they want to sell. You get $8.00 payout that ends up $0.00 due to the fee. While they sell your items and make for than a 400% profit on each item. And its a smack in the face for the fact that they link to your items and you can see what it sold for. And if none of your items are deemed resell they don't even send you a email donation receipt or anything. So you cant even claim it as a tax deduction, but I am sure they are claiming for than $9.99 deduction for each of your bags!
Don't wast your time. I wont be sending anything again!

2017-05-15

Buyer beware!

"How do you like returning things in perfect condition, right after you receive them, to be told they will only "partially refund" you 40% of what you paid? Not sure how from the box to my back, back to the box, an item received a "stain" but I will let my credit card company get my money back for me...and if your are lucky..you will receive your refunds about 30 days after the clothes are shipped back to them..guess they need the money to keep their lights on....and check your boxes. I paid for a pair of shoes that never made it to the box..they were left in the warehouse....as confirmed via email (the only way to contact them...no humans to talk with, just people who can't spell emailing you days later if you need help)"

2017-05-13

Okay company

"Okay company I don't know "

2017-05-08

scam

"A TOTAL RIP OFF. I SENT A BAG FULL OF CLOTHING, ALL IN EXCELLENT CONDITION, SOME WITH PRICE TAGS. THE TOTAL PAYOUT -$24, WHILE THEY SET RESALE PRICE OF $20-40 FOR EACH ITEM. SOME PIECES IN THE CONSIGNMENT EARN ONLY 5% IN CONSIGNMENT FEE! LOCAL STORES PAY 50-70%. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND USE EBAY AND GOODWILL. AVOID SCAM. "

2017-05-04

CHEAP Payouts, high purchase prices!

"I sent in 3 large bags of clothes full of Gymboree and Gap for kids, Banana Republic, Nordstroms, Gap etc. for women in good shape. I have received a payout of $10.83 on one, then subtract the $9.99 for the bag so a total of .83 cents! The second bag they paid out $5 and deducted the bag fee so for me $0.00, the third bag is still processing and not to be done until after June 1st, it was received around May 20th. They are not very smart in tracking your bag and what sells for what amount! From the $15.00 (initial payout) $0.00 out of pocket for them since they deducted the bag fee they have sold 4 items for over $40?????
They are SLOW and CHEAP! We have 8 kids so I have bought and sold at second hand stores for over 20 years I go to a local kids consignment store and because I have Gap and Gymboree I never walk away with less then $50 to spend at the store. This is a total scam! I would not recommend this to anyone! Find a local store, support a local person and AVOID THRED UP!

2017-05-03

Awesome clothes for little $

"Buying there is awesome. Everything I've bought is great quality, accurately described
If you decide to send them your clothes, yeah, you will get pennies for what you originally paid --that said, NOBODY is forcing you to send your clothes to them. Goodwill is an option (which gives you no $, but is tax deductible)

2017-05-03

The Company That Preys on Selling Consumerd

"This company are simply loan sharks. They will take extremely good items and give you about 1.00 per item upfront with no mention of consignment. They turn around and sell your item for 20.00, making 19.00 profit off your item. They accepted 26 of my new and near new Nike, LaBlanca, etc items and paid me $44 upfront. They subtracted 22.00 s/h and profited about close to 400.00 off of me. Writing a complaint to the BBB and inquiry to AG in that state. "

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!