• ThredUP

Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.47/10 1.47/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.15/10 2.15/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.32/10 1.32/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.62/10 1.62/10

"ThredUp was a terrible experience for me. I sent them a coach bag and a dooney & burke bag that they sent back to me and kept a pair of new with tags rich & skinny jeans that i purchased for $100 in the Fall (couldn't return them and they didn't fit). They did not consider them "consignment" which are items they decide to sell under $60 and I would have the ability to set the price. So that means they get to keep them and give me $17 for them. Which actually turns out to be $4 after they take out the $12.99 for the return shipment of the bags and a paypal fee. I spoke to them numerous times that I wanted these jeans back and they just quote their policy. Am telling all of my friends to NOT use them for anything nice. I guess if you're just getting rid of clothes you would donate anyway, then it's not a big deal. Anything nice, they have the ability to keep and so I am out $100. Horrible business model."

"Waited 2 months for them to review by bag because they are overwhelmed with orders to then only give me $5.95 for a bag full of clothes. To add to the nonsense, they are still holding on to my $5.95 as the cash out balance hasn't cleared and it has been two weeks. Scam!"

modified review This review was modified by monika626 on March 28 2015 04:01:51 PM

"I decided to try out the site to see what I could get for my clothes. None were old. All coming from Express, American Eagle, and some White House Black Market pieces. All items were washed, and I checked them over for flaws before sending. There were even items that were brand new with tags.

I decided to try the return assurance due to the more expensive White House Black Market clothes that I knew I could sell on sites like Poshmark, etc.

Well-- they selected 4 items from an entire bag an awarded me $10, and then selected 12 items from the second bag and awarded me a few cents over $10.

Because the return assurance is $12.99/bag, I ended up giving them 16 articles of clothing for free.

Immediately cancelled my account and will not give them the satisfaction of shopping there.

modified review This review was modified by jecollert on March 27 2015 11:20:05 AM

"I was hugely disappointed with my experience. Not only did it take them 3 months to give me my credit but worse: I put a ton of work into selecting items that I was sure would pass their rigorous inspection process, washed, ironed and folded them (something I don't even do for my kids!). Result: Of the 65 items I sent in, 49 were rejected for various reasons (10 were my own fault because I didn't know they didn't accept the European Steiff brand) and I got a meager $15.39!!! Ridiculous. Don't fall for it. STAY AWAY and spare yourself the aggravation."

modified review This review was modified by cc1974 on March 22 2015 08:14:57 PM

"I sent a huge bag of items into thead up! About 7 of the 25 items were consigned . After contacting Thead up customer service by phone and email, asking them to find the whereabouts of my other items, no response! I even emailed the CEO of the company, James Reinhart, via LinkedIn, pleading for his assistance. No response! DO NOT SEND YOUR ITEMS TO THREAD UP! "

"Agree with all the reviews that state you do not get a fair payout for your items. I mailed them my daughters entire outgrown summer wardrobe of name brand clothes (mini boden, hanna andersson, gap) and got less than $1 an item. I wanted to avoid the hassle of eBay but honestly I could've made more money donating them and taking the tax write off. Will not consign with them again."

modified review This review was modified by Brad0154 on March 19 2015 11:52:04 AM

"SCAM this is not a bona fide business, you send them new or almost new bags of clothes and since you are sending new or almost new clothes you do not check return assurance. They will steal your clothes and do not have the decency of returning them to you even if you offer to pay whatever amount for the return. Do not send clothes to this company they are going to steal your items or check the return assurance, maybe you get lucky I am not sure."

modified review This review was modified by Balenciaga22 on March 15 2015 06:58:06 PM

"thredup is HORRENDOUS. i sent them a MASSIVE bag (we're talking, the width of a couch cushion, but up to my knees) stuffed with amazing clothes, some still with tags on them, most only been worn once or twice, ALL name brands... Children's Place, BabyGap, Ann Taylor (they accept adult clothes too), Banana, and some European brands. They took nearly a month to process my bag and finally sent me my payout total.... ready for this?.... $3.60!!! HAHAHA. i tried giving stuff away on a "preloved" site, but after weeks of posting and listing, i just needed it out quickly (it was a lot of stuff!). i would have rather just hauled it to my local thrift and got the tax write off that would have been worth more than what they offered me. it's insanity. will never use them again. they literally can do whatever they want with your stuff and give you nothing but promise everything. i'm baffled. and still laughing at how insane $3.60 is... every item met their specs they list on their site, so it was all compliant and met their quality standards. additionally- a few years ago before their massive overhaul, i had posted a ton of stuff for sale, sold a box of it, and shipped it-- all on my own dime, which was supposed to give me credit to turn around and buy a box of stuff from someone else on their dime... well, after the overhaul, i received word, "sorry- everyone's acct simply gets wiped" i was pretty irritated and contacted them-- no apologies, no credit, no anything except "this is just how it is"... so i basically paid someone to take my stuff and got nothing out of it. so this isn't the first time they have massively FAILED as a company and customer service to the Nth degree... oh wait, AND a third offense--- i never got their "promotional credit" for a friend recommending me --another one of their little scams-- because i had already created an acct, even though it had been YEARS prior and i had never used their service a single time yet to buy or sell and didn't even remember doing it years prior-- it was even connected to an old dead email address. they are just master scammers and have horrible customer service and list all these promises on their site that they DO NOT DELIVER on. there's no quality control or protection for people who send them their clothes. they can literally do what they want. again, if i had done a google search first, i would have seen the massive amounts of terrible reviews on them with people all who had this same experience as a seller, but unfortunately i got sucked into their trap and am now one of those statistics. i don't understand how they can stay in business. "

modified review This review was modified by missymomissy on March 14 2015 11:54:40 AM

"Overall, I am merely satisfied with my order. There were a couple skirts that did not match the measurements that were listed on the site. Ironically, the 2 items that were listed as having tiny flaws were perfectly fine, but I have a serious gripe about a dress I received. The dress was not listed as having any flaws, but when it arrived I discovered that it had a tear that was about an inch long. The tear was repaired haphazardly with thick bright green thread that was not tied on the end. When I pulled on it, it came right out. And even if it had stayed, it would have looked ridiculous because the dress was red. Red! And repaired with green thread!
Other than this bizarre piece and the 2 skirts that didn't fit, the order was exactly what I wanted. I bought 14 items and only 3 were unsatisfactory.
I'll probably order from here again, but I'll be wary of high-priced items since ThredUp appears to not be entirely honest with their product descriptions. With some they are, with others they aren't.

modified review This review was modified by princesslivv on March 13 2015 08:16:54 AM

"Just like the others, I had a terrible experience with ThredUp.
I sent them a gorgeous black leather Coach purse in impeccable condition. I have pictures to document it.
They sent me an email that it "did not meet their standards" and since I had not sent in the return fee (never suspecting that this valuable purse would be rejected) I got nothing for my purse which was worth well over $100. I called and emailed numerous times and did not hear back from anyone in customer service. This is a total rip off scam. I will NEVER use them again - they stole my purse! What are they doing with all these valuable purses that they now have in their possession???

modified review This review was modified by tdudis on March 12 2015 07:43:38 PM

"I was apprehensive to try reselling with ThredUP after reading so many poor reviews, but unfortunately, my experience was in the same line. I sent in a bag of clothing, with a Coach and Vera Bradley bag. The clothes were mostly all accepted and I was very pleased with the payout. Neither of the bags (both in excellent condition) were accepted, even though I found two similar bags currently listed on the site. When I spoke with a customer service agent, they informed me that, there was nothing wrong with the Coach bag, but they didn't think that they could resell it. Because I didn't pay the 13 dollars to ensure getting the bag back, I lost out on 60 bucks (the current selling rate for the similar bags). It's complete crap. I had a fine buying experience with them, but selling was so terrible that I'm done. There have to be better ways to resell, and it's horrifying the way they treat your customers."

modified review This review was modified by kylelouise on March 12 2015 01:15:13 PM

"Wow. I had no idea they were this terrible!

I just logged in to my account and I am very very upset!

I sent this email to Anthony@smart-shopping.thredup.com as well.

"Actually, I am quite angry.

You listed my items before I could even approve the payout? What if I didn't agree with the payout?!?! Which I do not agree! Some of my items are now sold so now what??...I am not happy with the payout AT ALL! $21 for 7 brand name items (most with the tags still attached)!!!!!!! That's ridiculous!

Who does your retail price research? They need to be educated or FIRED! My gloves retailed for $88! See them here at Macy's!

You sold them at retail value of $38! http://www.thredup.com/shop/women/Gloves/MICHAEL-Michael-Kors/12/4668406

They are selling on ebay for $54! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Kors-Leather-Circa-Silver-Logo-womens-Gloves-MSRP-88-FREE-SHIP-NEW-/271312544959

I will need someone to contact me ASAP. I haven't even checked the other items! I am afraid I will get too heated!

I feel scammed and taken advantage of!

Also, I paid for the shipping of the items you did not accept. Are those going to be coming back to me? I haven't heard anything and there is nowhere on the site where I can check that.

You should have never sold my items without me approving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

modified review This review was modified by bjcoll2 on March 12 2015 11:10:29 AM

"I just had the worst experience with this consignment site. They were offering 100% consignment for designer handbags and I sent a Christian Dior and a Prada handbag after reviewing and meeting their strict guidelines only to be notified that they could not be accepted. I didn't take the return assurance that is offered because I know my bags met the requirements for reselling. Much to mt dismay, all of the sudden my Christian Dior saddle bag had "stains" on it. Not true!! They tried to send me a picture of said "stains" but all they sent was a picture of woman holding my bag against a wall. I tried to contact the company and didn't receive a response until almost 4 days later. The response was similar to the ones in the previous reviews. How does one reject a Christian Dior handbag. I'm so distraught over the situation and they have done nothing but tell me the bags are gone. Please don't send anything valuable to this site. I've learned my lesson the hard way and want to warn people to either stay away from this site or take the return assurance, which still doesn't guarantee you'll get your things back. Seller beware!!"

modified review This review was modified by spydr1999 on March 05 2015 01:53:02 PM

"ThredUP.com huge rip off site! Customer beware if you are reselling items to this site expect little or nothing from them.First they offer to send you a "free clean out bag" to mail your clothes to them. They tell you on the site they have waived the fee of the "clean out bag." When you find out later you really paid for the bag considering what they offer to pay for the items sent. You can send brand new and used items. Once you send the items it takes them 2 months just to sort through the bag. Only to be told they can't resell them or you may get anywhere from $5 to $10 for a bag that had over 20 items in there. Then if you request to have the items sent back that you feel can be resold they tell you if you did not pay for insurance on the bag, you cannot get the items back. They come up with some lame answer that the items were already processed and sent to charity. Yet they can give you a full list of every item in the bag. So that just tells me items were still on hand and haven't been sent anywhere. The workers are probably making use out of all the items they claim can't be resold on their site. Please be careful when dealing with Thredup, you will do better selling your items on Ebay or other reputable sites. "

modified review This review was modified by Alivia11 on February 27 2015 06:16:22 AM

"THIS SITE IS A RIP OFF.... TRYING OUT THE SERVICE I SELECTED 9 BRAND NEW IN-STYLE SHOES FROM MY SHOE STORE AND SENT IT ACROSS TO THEM. IT TOOK THEM 2MTHS TO PROCESS MY BAG AFTER THE 2MTHS PERIOD I RECEIVE AN UPFRONT OFFER OF $20.00 WHICH I IMMEDIATELY REFUSED I TOLD THEM I WOULD WAIT FOR THE PROCESSING OF THE BAG SINCE I KNOW THAT THE ITEMS WERE NOT JUST BRAND NEW BUT THEY ALSO HAD A VERY HIGH RESALE VALUE BASED ON THE CURRENT MARKET. THIS IS THE EMAIL THAT THREDUP SENT:
Upfront Payout

Our specialists have carefully reviewed your bag. After examining each item, we've determined that the total upfront payout for the items we will be able to resell is $3.60.

ACCEPTED ITEMS
Practically New Size 6 Dollhouse Heels/pumps for Women Dollhouse Heels/Pumps
Practically New Size 8 1/2 C Label Flats for Women C Label Flats
Thanks for the feedback

$3.60? I then asked for a return on my items which Mylene confirmed can not be done. I am so disgusted! BEWARE THIS IS THE SITE IF YOU ARE SELECTING USED ITEMS THAT HAS BEEN WORN AND POSSIBLY TORN WITH A VERY LOW RETAIL VALUE.

modified review This review was modified by FASHION242 on February 19 2015 09:54:49 PM

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!