Stores > ThredUP

Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.28/10 5.28/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.80/10 3.80/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10

2016-05-24

Just too slow for a seller

"I like the model of Thredup and their payouts are fair (not great) - but the process is incredibly slow and after waiting over a month for each my bags to be processed, I wonder why they do not hire more staff or adjust. I have sent about 10 bags over the last 10 months - from mailing of the bag to actually receiving a payout the time is about 50-60 days. Also if you choose to donate unaccepted items there is no accounting for them (i.e. - were they donated, or just pocked by a processor?) When you contact customer service their standard reply time is 24-48 hours and you can not call them. "

2016-05-11

First Treasure Box / Polka Dot box arrive

"OK, so I have sent in a bag of clothing to sell, and they are running a bit behind there, but I'm in no hurry so no problem there. In the mean time I placed my first order, a dress, jacket, sweater, belt and handbag. Loved Every. Single. Piece!! Their descriptions were exact! Everything but the sweater looked brand new and they had warned me about the wear on the sweater... so I knew what to expect. It's all great! They also sent an adorable little book about second hand clothing helping our earth. Love even how they wrapped my items separately within the box with cute tissue paper."

This review was modified by NatRea12 on May 11 2016 06:49:36 AM

2016-05-08

***WARNING!!!!!! DO NOT USE THREDUP!!!***

"***WARNING!!!!!! DO NOT USE THREDUP***

I sent a bag and they said they received it and that it was supposed to be processed around April 19th. Then, when I did not get my other emails, I followed up. Now, they say they "LOST" my bag. Nothing has been done!!! Support is not telling me what the next step is to reimburse me. I sent a bag of very expensive women's clothes. One beautiful black dress was $1700 new! And purchased from a high end boutique here in Southern CA. I am extremely disappointed. I even received an email from the Cheif Marketing Officer, Anthony Marino, and he has not even responded to my email about my complaint. I made my first purchase through PayPal on February 9, 2016. Purchased some cropped Paige Jeans. I received a ThredUP clean out bag with my order. I used that bag.. Made sure it was taken away by my postal delivery man and received a confirmation email that ThredUP had it. It was all scanned in, how could it have been "Lost"? I sense some shady stuff going on with this company!

Okay.. The saga continues.. I received an email that I had missed 12 days ago and saw yesterday saying that they received my bag but it all got donated (100%)... And that they were sorry. Yesterday, I ALSO received an email saying they found my bag and some of it sold.. That I needed to identify my items. MY $1700 dress sold for $68!!!!! Which means I only get $34! AND... some of my items were not listed I the items they found still! And... A brand new (with tags)... BeBe black dress ( MY FAVORITE).... They stated had a flaw and that they couldn't list it!!!! I know for sure there was no flaw! It was my favorite dress. I looked that dress up and down carefully before placing it in the bag.
I am mortified!!! Something needs to be done here. This is really really bad business practice.

This review was modified by Susansun1 on May 09 2016 04:01:41 PM

2016-05-06

Highly Disappointed with ThredUp

"Unfortunately, my first and last experience with your company was not a pleasant one. I had heard of your company from two friends in my daughters girl scout troop and they raved about it however, I later found out they had only purchased and never sent anything to you to be sold. I ordered my first bag, received it and was feeling pretty excited about doing this. So I scheduled time in my calendar to go through my daughters and my closet, which you can probably imagine with three daughters and a husband that travels is no easy task to manage. So, after narrowing down the clothing, fitting it into the bag and scheduling a pickup I was excited to let it go. A few weeks pass an I start to worry, here I am sending this bag and I have no way to track it, no email confirmation that it was received by the post office, it was just gone and I had to hope that it would just find its was to you and if it got lost then I was just outta luck as I didn't have anyplace in my email a tracking number associated with the bag I sent. THEN, I finally got an email that it was received and it could take some time to go through everything and I will be notified once its been gone through how much I would be receiving. Now this is where I really got upset. I sent in well over 30 items, some still with tags and I was excited to possibly getting some credit to shop within your online store. So the email read, your company decided to keep 22 items and I would be receiving a whopping... $19.33!!!!! That is less that $1 per item, and I was thinking..that has GOT to be a mistake!! I log in online and look at the 22 items your company decided to keep and added up how much you would be selling all these items and that total came to $158!!!! Just WOW!!! Your willing to give your customer a measly $19 but have no problem selling it for $158. Now I understand the process, setting it all up, taking the pictures, writing all the information as to name brand-size..etc, I really do as I have sold my items online before and had to do that very same thing, so I know it is time consuming. I was excited to send my bag in and not have to do the grunt work, but mostly to get away from having to schedule the drop off times and meeting some scary people in unsafe places. But COME ON, $19 is not even worth the time and energy I put into sending the bag in the first place. I could of pulled the same clothing, sold it at our neighborhood garage sale and made way more than that. I know you are probably thinking "then why didn't you". Well, honestly it was a nice idea to be able to send in bags to your company year round as yard sales are typically in the spring so I wanted a test run instead of grabbing a garbage bag and throwing it in the attic to sit until Spring. Then the kicker, I asked for my items to be returned to me since well I didn't just send in bad clothing and could sell them myself at a yard sale, so out of that $19.33 you took over $12 out to ship it back...so my grand total credit that I was excited to get and spend...$6. I am very disappointed in this company and will not shop nor ever be ordering another sell bag."

This review was modified by photobrook9 on May 06 2016 11:42:33 PM

2016-05-04

Beware! Beware! Beware!

"THREDUP placed an extremely low value on the designer items I sent in for evaluation and resale. Each item they wanted to keep and resell was evaluated at less than $2 as a payout to me! Immediately upon receiving their email informing me of their proposed payout to me, I began contacting them and clearly communicating that I did not wish to use their service and withdrawing permission for any of my property to be either kept or sold by them. They kept and sold many pieces of my property anyway! Told me once I sent in my property, I no longer had dominion over what happened to it and that I wasn't allowed to request that it be returned to me! Are you kidding me! THREDUP assumed ownership of my property and denied me the rights for full dominion over my property. THREDUP profited off of property they virtually stole from me. I asked THREDUP to reimburse me for the items they illegally sold. To date, I have received no compensation for these items sold, I continue to receive automatically generated emails from their site informing me of the sale of my property and I have received a small fraction of my property returned to me. I have submitted complaints to the BBB and the San Francisco Consumer Protection Agency. Beware consumer! Beware, beware, beware."

This review was modified by Celtica on May 04 2016 06:21:26 PM

2016-05-02

NEVER again BE WARNED

"This business is a total scam. I sent designer children's clothes, actually saw them pop up on their website for sale, yet they claim they were not accepted and donated. I sent screenshots, etc. No luck. It's so sad, because the giant stuffed bag I sent could have been given to kids that really needed them. Lesson learned. I will always find someone to give my items to. No stains, mint condition items. Beware, that's all I can say. "

This review was modified by FLYROBINFLY on May 02 2016 07:01:17 AM

2016-04-17

Pleased with my purchase, Save $10 off your first order!

"I have not sold any clothing through ThredUP, so I can't comment on that aspect of the site, but I was very pleased with my first purchase as a buyer. The clothes were of good quality and as described (I appreciate that they list any minor flaws and provide measurement and color info unlike some other online consignment shops). My only complaint is that their shipping is a tad slow, but that could just be to where I live (a more rural area).

You can save $10 off of your first order through this link: http://www.thredup.com/r/ZFCJYY

Someone shared a link with me that I used on my first order, so I figured I'd spread the love (and savings). The coupon / promo code will be added to your account automatically when you sign up.

This review was modified by AureliaB on April 21 2016 09:56:45 PM

2016-04-13

ThredUp is a rip off

"I sent them 4 fairly expensive items of clothing and 2 pair of shoes (each very gently used). After seeing how much they resold my items for and how much I was able to cash out, I realized they were making close to a 300% profit. I didn't even receive a communication regarding the shoes, only how much they were selling the clothes for. I sent a complaint to the company and what I got back was an automated message which essentially just reiterated their policies... none of which included the fact that I was going to get ripped off by that much. Never again."

This review was modified by Rnadolna on April 13 2016 08:55:43 AM

2016-04-12

Very Good

"I receive what I want in good conditions. I'll continue looking for more options."

2016-04-08

Roll the dice: Selling and buying are both a gamble on ThredUp

"First, let me say, I am completely happy with the amount of money I received when I sold items to ThredUp. However, which items they bought and how much they paid for each item was completely unpredictable. A significant number of my items were not identified correctly when listed for sale on the site. This unpredictability and inaccuracy means I would not recommend ThredUp to friends for either buying or selling.

I read all of the information ThredUp provides about their buying process including posts from their blog. I used the seller calculator to estimate how much I might make for each item. None of this information matched up very well with my selling experience.

For a bag containing 14 items from brands like J. Crew, Gap, Sofft, Frye, Rockport, Express, and Seven7, I expected about $50 . I received $37 up front and a consignment item could fetch another $34. So better than I expected. But how ThredUp arrived at those numbers is inscrutable.

A pair of like-new Sofft heels was rejected. But a 12-year-old Gap jacket, which I tossed in just to see if they really know if items are over 5 years old, was accepted. It wasn't the only accepted item over 5 years old either.

Two of my items, when listed for sale on the site, were grossly misidentified. That Gap jacket? It is made of a cotton twill. But it's now listed on the site as a faux fur jacket. Similarly, a linen-blend skirt was labeled as wool. I haven't purchased anything from ThredUp, and this misidentification of the items I sold makes me quite reluctant to buy anything from the site.

Listing prices are based on original retail prices, while seller payouts are based on listing prices. The original retail prices shown on the site for my listed items was almost never accurate. A coat was undervalued and then listed for sale at $14.99 putting it just barely in the lowest payout category, which netted me a mere 10% of listing price. So I got $1.49 for a really nice, never worn coat because it was incorrectly identified.

To be fair though, I received more than I should have for other items. In my particular bag, the sloppy identifications tipped to my advantage, but there's no predicting what will happen with each bag sent.

Bottom line: Both buying and selling seem to be a gamble with ThredUp. On the buying end, I would suggest only sending things you're happy to get even a small amount of money for because what will or won't be accepted is mysterious and accepted items may not be correctly identified. For purchases, there are some wonderful deals, but buyer beware. Scrutinize the photos and consider whether the descriptions seem accurate.

This review was modified by ashsalt on April 08 2016 04:46:10 PM

2016-03-30

Sellers: Donate your clothes instead

"Since they changed their payout pricing my recent bags have earned me around $20. When I view my bag, they sell mostly everything I send (15-20 items) and what I have found is that they price things on the .99 scale so they can avoid paying you the higher percentage (i.e. selling something for 19.99 vs 20.00 is a difference in earning 15% or 25%!- that one penny cost me 10%)

I would have much rather donated my clothes to Dress for Success, or something similar, knowing that they will be put to better use.

This review was modified by nob2010 on March 30 2016 04:25:26 AM

2016-03-17

Love, Love, LOVE!

"This was my first time ordering from ThredUp and I absolutely love everything about the company and my experience! ThredUp really has something to fit every women's taste and style. Not to mention they also provide a huge selection for the kiddos too.. and it's all at a price that's sure to fit anyone's budget! Items came exactly as described/pictured if not better. My shipment arrived 2 days earlier than the estimated delivery date. Oh, and I have to also rave about the ADORABLE packaging my order was in! It defiantly put a huge smile on my face when opening! I would overall give my experience with ThredUp a 10 out of 10! Thanks for making it so easy and affordable to stay with the latest trends!"

2016-03-10

Good quality clothes and Get $10 off your first order

"ThredUp does a nice job only selecting good quality used clothing, shoes and bags and they tell you up front if there are any signs of wear on the item. Processing and shipping is a little slower than other online shops, but items are packaged with care, which is a nice touch.

This review was modified by havernell on March 12 2016 11:23:42 AM

2016-03-09

SELLING FAKES!!!!!

"I loved ThredUP in the beginning. less than half of what they have shipped to me has been authentic designer product. I recently purchased three coach bags and a Burberry top and skirt for my daughter from them have all been COUNTERFEIT!!!!!!!!!! I paid 50 dollars for a Burberry skirt and it arrived with a tag and logo that said "Burberrys" with an S. the material is crap The zipper was plastic for crying out loud! The coach bags didn't have the coach creed the logo wasn't correct and the leather tag for the coach creed and authentication stamp was completely missing! I paid 70+ dollars per bag for piss poor imitations that are worth nothing! I thought buying from ThredUP would be good for the environment but I paid to have trash sent to me from the other side of the country! Talk about the worst environmental and financial decision I've ever made! NEVER AGAIN, F U ThreadUP! "

This review was modified by DinosaursRawr on March 09 2016 04:14:28 AM

2016-02-23

It may be great for the buyer but not for this seller.

"I recently sent a bag of items for review to ThredUP. After waiting a month, they finally reviewed my items (6 tops that had been lightly worn and 2 brand-new, tags still on them, pants). They said they would keep 4 of the tops and the 2 pairs of pants. I opted, when I sent the bag, to have items returned that they did not want (a $12.99 fee).

They are listing my items for just over $68 and paid me $8.60. That's means I am getting around 12% of what they will potentially make from selling my items. I have sold on other sites before where I got 60% of the resale value and was happy with the portion I got to keep there.

So because I opted to get my unwanted items back (which they make you do up front, before you send them anything), that means I owe them $4.39 to sell my clothes and return my two items. I have read reviews where people had much nicer items than mine were and they got next to nothing for them. If nothing else, I learned a lesson.

I understand they have to make money but taking an 88% cut seems pretty steep. The folks buying clothes on there are getting them at a great deal so I cannot attest to that end of it. However, I will not be trying it out as a buyer since I am rather unimpressed as a seller.

This review was modified by tmb110 on February 23 2016 01:57:53 PM

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!