Stores > ThredUP

Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.05/10 2.05/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.25/10 1.25/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.35/10 1.35/10

2016-08-27

Waste of Time for the cost

"Don't waste your time selling through them. They are very picky about what they will sell. They will sell something for $24 and you might get $2.75 for it. You will have to pay twice to have your clothes shipped back to you. First they will deduct a return amount and then you have to pay postage when you receive the item. I think this store is a seller ripoff and I will not use them again to buy or sell."

This review was modified by imase44 on August 27 2016 09:52:21 AM

2016-08-26

Another dissatisfied customer

"When cleaning out my closet, I decided to consign older clothing locally, and intentionally sent ONLY items that were "new with tags" to Thred-up because I thought their condition would be obvious. Only one of 23 items was listed as "new with tags". I know that there can be a difference of opinion as to how worn an item is, or how valuable, but there should be no disagreement over what constitutes "new with tags." A few of them were even listed as "lightly worn."

Of course, attempts to discuss this with Thred-up received no response. My payout: $32.75. for 23 items. Any review that claims to have made hundreds is not a real review.

I will never do business with Thred-up again, and will do my best to let anyone and everyone know that it is a complete scam.

This review was modified by triplestep on August 26 2016 05:04:30 PM

2016-08-20

An occassional great deal, but TERRIBLE returns and customer service

"I will begin by saying, yes, I have gotten some amazing deals on some clothes that I love (LOVE!!!). However, the returns (and all customer service related to returns) are TERRIBLE!!!!! So terrible, in fact, that it usually doesn't make the deals I do get worth it. As it is with online shopping (can't feel the fabric or try on when you buy) I return quite a bit of what I buy. For most online shopping experiences, that's not a problem, but quite often ThredUp screws up the return. If it's a big, combined return, they miss at least one or two things. Almost always something pricy. So far they have always ended up refunding me (at least for the things I have caught!!!!), but it always takes at least ten to fourteen days of arguing with them. So I have to be SUPER careful about checking EVERY THING EVERY TIME I return ANYTHING. Which is a pain. Then I have to spend hours arguing with them when I find the error. And it delays my refund.

Here's the most recent example: I bought 3 items and returned two (together in the same package). The returned items cost $24.99 and $75.99. The item I kept cost $27.99. I initially created a return for all three (individually), but only printed and returned the slips for the items I actually returned. When I received the email notifications that the returns were processed, they had processed the two cheaper items. The dress I had not returned was a very, very unusual brand and the picture they posted had the same wrinkles as the original, so I was certain it was the same one. These dresses look NOTHING alike, but they were not paying attention or something. As I said, it's almost always something pricy. This is a $48 difference. It has been 72 hours since I notified them of the error and no word. We'll see what happens.

I also agree with the reviewers who say you don't get much for what you sell. But that was what I expected. That's just how these business models work. I figure, hey, I was just cleaning out my closet. Since it was always free to send in the past, I just figured, hey, why not, it's no more trouble going to the post office than Goodwill and I might end up with some cash (to date nearly $400, but that's about about fifteen months and I had sent in some really high end stuff). Now it looks like they are going to start charging $6.99 for shipping, so I'll probably quit and send my nicer stuff somewhere else.

This review was modified by moth07 on August 20 2016 07:21:15 AM

2016-08-18

Great to buy from! Because they rip off the people who sell to them.

"Waste of money and time. I received less than one dollar from a huge bag of clothing from brands accepted by ThredUp. If you would like to donate to a for-profit company, "sell" this company your clothing.

They are able to sell clothing at great discounts. The value as a buyer is great, but the business model relies upon screwing their sellers.

Donate your clothes or sell on Ebay. Selling to this company is a complete ripoff.

This review was modified by helgs on August 18 2016 05:52:23 PM

2016-08-12

What a HOAX

"I do not recommend ThredUp to anyone!!!!! It took them nearly 3 months to work my bag and clothes will be out of season by then. I had brand new items in my bag that were new with price tags attached. I certainly do not expect to get even half of what I paid for them!!! Items sent had a value on the price tags of $385. I had a few odds and ends (VS items) that were new without tags as well. All items sent were name brands! So today I got my email indicating that I have $12.45 credit to use from the clean out bag submitted. I WILL NOT BE USING ThredUp ever again and will NEVER recommend them. In fact I may contact the BBB because I feel that they are not ethical in their business practice and I actually took photos of what I sent, including showing the price tags attached and also shows the value. I requested a second bag before my first bag was worked. I will be throwing that bag away and deleting the app from my phone. I would have done better donating the items to the Salvation Army, got a receipt and used the deduction on my taxes.

THREDUP IS A SCAM and I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT recommend them!!!!!! BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY!!!! If it was up to me, I would NOT have given them any stars!!!! Wish I would have looked at feedback before I even requested a bag!

This review was modified by Montanagal1 on August 12 2016 09:03:48 PM

2016-08-09

LOVE THREDUP

"Not sure why all the bad reviews for TU because I have been sending them bags for about a year now and always receive a great payout! I think people are using this as a way to make extra money like as if they were selling the items on ebay or something and that's simply not what it is. Thredup is basically a place where you can send your unwanted , good condition clothing, in order to make just a few dollars instead of not getting anything by donating them. I send them probably two bags a month and have had great success with my payouts. I send about 20 to 30 items and all different brands. Some high end and some not. I would rather make 5% on them than give them to a goodwill for free. Dont expect to send in a bag and get what you paid for the item or think its like selling on another site like Posh or eBay because its not! Its just a way of getting rid of unwanted clothing and making a few bucks. Here are just a few of my payouts and they are not that bag considering I was never going to wear these items. As far as turn around time, they are very slow and waiting two weeks for your cash payout is crazy, but there is always good and bad with all of these companies .

8/3/16 - payout confirmed $147.67

4/30/16 - payout confirmed $89.43

This review was modified by wingirl123 on August 09 2016 05:23:30 AM

2016-08-07

Not Happy with Customer Service

"have tried three times over the course of the last 8 days to reach out to them. No response."

2016-08-05

Don't trust for important life events, they're not there for you.

"Just placed a big order (~$300) on Thredup (well, actually it was on JULY 23). I have been a loyal customer for a long time; in fact the night I placed this order of about 14 items, I referred someone to Thredup who did end up purchasing. I just started a new job in an extremely well-known nonprofit. I do not have a lot of money but I need to be business formal for interviews, meetings, and photo ops. I ordered through Thredup before I even started. I have recently moved and accidentally kept my old address. All I wanted was a simple address change. The first person I talked to said no problem and that it was taken care of; he then sent me a review option and I gave him full marks. Days passed by and although my shipping info stated "rerouted, no action needed", something just did not smell right. After five phone calls and various emails later, turns out no one, not even Thredup, knows where my order is. Their only solution was to refund me, no answer to an expedited shipping refund (I NEED these clothes starting MONDAY), let alone any hope of talking to an actual person. Absolutely disgusting. I have since taken back every good review, and every in-person referral I have given them thus far (I get asked almost daily about my outfits). I was previously a LikeTwice.com follower. They affiliated with Ebay and disappeared. I gave Thredup a chance and when I really, TRULY needed them, they MESSED UP. I'm not even confident that they will successfully figure out how to refund me. I am MAD. DO NOT trust important orders to these guys, I have yet to see any real resolution. SOOOOOO disappointed, can't even begin to express. I counted on them and they failed."

This review was modified by LaurelGhoshRoy on August 05 2016 10:49:58 PM

2016-08-05

DO NOT USE! LIKE ROBBERY COMPANY

"Do not use this terrible company. Long story short I sent in my bag of clothes. I received back $10.95 in credit and an email with the 4 items they will be using. Those items are reselling for a total of $72.96. Out of that, let me remind you they gave me $10.95! Worst suggestion to use this company. "

This review was modified by Drea620 on August 05 2016 07:47:16 AM

2016-08-02

THINGS GOING BAD AT THREDUP

"over 100 reviews at site jabber today. That's right 100+ instead of usual 4 or 5 reviews 90+ reviews rated 5 stars. Talk about a dishonest company !
f you ordered a bag after July 16 you will be charged 6.99 when they process it. Plus 6.99 to recycle any rejects, even if it's only one item. Lower tiers mean up to 14.99 thredup price you will recieve 5%, so for up to 14.99 resale price you get 65 cents max. Up to 19.99 resale you get a whopping 1.99 MAX. How many items will you need to just cover the 13.98 fees. Great place to shop, especially now with so many items at 19.99. Guess they have a big enough inventory now they think it will be OK to screw sellers, at least until they get rid of excess inventory. SELL if you must, but don't say I did not warn you HONESTLY

2016-07-31

Sellers Stay Away - Rip Off!

"They sold my items for $90.41 and gave me $7.00. Visit a local consignment store instead of using this company. You will be helping a local business owner and get more cash for your items. "

2016-07-22

Selling through ThredUp is a huge ripoff

"I was excited to sell on this site and carefully selected high quality items that I knew would sell, including a pair of brand new Miraclebody jean capris, size 10, that were new with tags and sell for $92. You know what they sold them for? $19.99 - I got a whopping $2. (WARNING: for items they price under $14.99, you won't even get 10% --- they'll give you 5% instead). They didn't even call them NWT though it was evident from the picture that they are.

ThredUp hugely underpriced everything, emailing me that "Our specialists have carefully reviewed your bag. After examining each item, we've determined that the total upfront payout for the items we will be able to resell is $16.06." (I sent in the kit May 27, they received it June 2, I got this email June 15)

But that's not all! I knew all these items would sell but if not, that at least I could get the tax write off for donating them, so opted for the return bag for $12.99 for anything they didn't want. Again, that cost is $12.99. They rejected ONE item - a gorgeous, semi-dressy, in style Ann Taylor knee length pencil skirt in size 8 with splashy brown and coral flowers. Really, that won't sell? It sure would have. But instead they sent me back one nearly weightless thing, charged me $12.99 and gave me $16.06. My net receipt: $3.07.

Big, expensive lesson. I will never sell through this company again and recommend you not make the same mistake so many of us did =(

2016-07-20

Worst Thieves

"I don't trust these people. They rejected most of my items because they couldn't sell them yet accepted 5 things that were exactly like them. Then only gave me $19.26, which I could not get because the minimum was $20. My only way to get "paid" was to spend it with them. When I complained my entire history was wiped clean and shows that I never sent in anything, never got credit for anything, NOTHING. They don't respond to emails. You cannot call them. They are a huge rip off. "

2016-07-18

Terrible from start to finish.

"I was really excited to sell the Thredup, I felt like they had a very professional system and would be a company that bought and sold high quality items at fair prices. I have been purchasing and selling to and from consignment shops for about 5 years, so I know the drill. I know what typical pay out is. I expected the same from Thredup's buyers.

WELL. I could not have been more wrong.

First of all, the 3 week turn around they promise on there website? Try seven weeks from the date that they received my bag, 8 if you count the week it took to arrive.

Second, I turned in a bag of D.E.P.T. Free People, BCBGeneration, Joes Jeans, Citizens of Humanity, Hudson Jeans, brand new jlo shoes, worn once steve madden shoes, brand new Lauren Conrad clothing, and about 5 things from old navy and forever 21. What did they buy? The forever 21 and old navy garments. The rest (all without holes, genuine, almost brand new quality label garments) were donated. My payout? $11.54. ELEVEN dollars.

Last complaint, the two week waiting period to get my measly $11.54. So, from start to finish nearly 10 weeks to get $11.54. Honestly, I could have taken all my things to my local store, earned about $70-80 and been out the door cash in hand within an hour or two.

Ignore what they "say" they buy. They want cheap crap, not quality merchandise.

I will never sell to, or purchase from them again.

This review was modified by kelsd on July 18 2016 07:57:55 PM

2016-07-17

THEIVES

"Their website is full of total crap, fair condition stuff, yet only accepted 43% of my high-end, next to new clothing and shoes.

I did not pay for the return of my items, because I thought at least 90% would be a shoo-in. Based on the crap they sell.

I have filed a complaint with their local BBB and it was accepted, so they will be investigated.

DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. MY STUFF WASN'T DONATED TO CHARITY. IT WAS STOLEN BY THEM.

I AM A SELLER. I HAVE NOT PURCHASED ANYTHING FROM THEM. INVOICE # AND PURCHASE DATE ARE NOT FACTUAL.

This review was modified by imlesw on July 17 2016 01:24:13 PM

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!