Stores > ThredUP

Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.64/10 1.64/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.02/10 1.02/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.17/10 1.17/10

Misleading and Dishonest Promotion

"As a new customer, I took advantage of a 40% off promotion. I bought two items which cost $4.19 and $61.80. The subtotal somehow became $109.98. The promo discount: $43.99, tax: 4.95, shipping: 5.99. After all three were deducted, the total came to $76.93.
Now, if you add the cost of my two items ($4.19 and $61.80), you get 65.99. Add tax and shipping and voila, you get $76.93!
When I complained, they refunded me $10.94, which the customer support person said was "the difference from the cost of the items to the amount you got, plus additionally, I refunded you back the shipping cost for the order".

This review was modified by thrifty.consumer on October 18 2016 02:14:50 PM

"What a SCAM! I mailed them 6 pairs of nice religion jeans which each jeans paid over $200 retailed. Included in the bag, I've mailed them plenty of nice dress tops. It took them over 2 months to look through my clothes and finally I checked and all they gave me was $10.01. What a SLAP IN THE FACE.

DO NOT.... DO NOT mail them your clothes. Horrible business tactic. I would have gotten over $150 if I were to sell it myself on craigslist or close5. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CLOTHES!!!!!

License to Steal

"If you want to give your clothes away, by all means, send them to ThredUp. I have read the other reviews and I have a similar story that they gave me almost nothing for the quality clothing that I sent in which were in excellent shape and were Ann Taylor, Brooks Brothers and Coldwater Creek. I was initially told that they were giving me $33.80 for my clothing which was ridiculous; however, when I went to ThredUp to use the credit to buy something, I got a notice that I only had $16.82 credit. So either they deceive the sellers or they simply cannot add or subtract. WILL NEVER GIVE MY CLOTHES TO THIS COMPANY AGAIN. I predict this company will go out of business soon enough because they will run out of suckers to sell their clothing to Thred Up."

Do Not Waste Your Time

"Long story short - thredup sends me an email with a 40% off code. The code does not apply to my final order screen so I contact to have them correct it. I'm told they won't give me the discount because I'd placed an order years ago and it's for new customers only. Seriously?? Will not accept order when it arrives and will not do any business with them again. Pathetic customer service."

Give your clothes away instead

"Selling to ThredUp isn't all it's cracked up to be. They take forever to process your bag and then give you an insulting amount for a huge bag full of New and Slightly used items. It seems to be an all around win, win situation for them. Just give the items away or take the time to sell them on eBay. Sending items to ThredUp ends up being a total waste of time A full bag of clothes should at least equal enough to purchase one item from their site. My payout doesn't even cover shipping! Terrible. "

This review was modified by JoanneS66 on October 11 2016 09:41:59 PM

If you want to help ThredUP make money, then totally use this service!

"Like everyone giving a 1 star review, I'm totally dissatisfied. My sister and I sent a bag to ThredUP. To start, our initial process date was pushed out 2 weeks past the initial date they provided (so 6 weeks passed before we got any idea of what the ThredUP fashion "specialists" thought and then we waited 2 more weeks to get our tiny payout).
After the $6.99 S&H fee was deducted, we got a measly $36 (for pristine NWT items, barely worn dresses and maternity items, never used kids items).
I made a list before shipping so I could make sure everything was accounted for on their end. They kept 17 items and trashed 6 (shorts, pants, and tops we'd worn one time, had NO signs of wear at all, and were less than 6 months old--maybe if the payout would be less than 65cents for the item, ThredUp just gives up on it). And from what we understand, ThredUP doesn't donate the items; they send them to a textile recycler to be shredded (and I'd assume ThredUP profits there, too).
You also get a very vague breakdown of what they keep and then have to hunt around to get a sense of what the payout was per item. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who had an item selected for consignment. So instead of getting a couple bucks for a $230 dress, I'll get 50% of the final sale price. (Btw, they list the retail price for that dress as $357 -- 64% higher than the real price -- so the buyer's discount is even more bloated.)
I'll never do business with ThredUP again, and will warn people against using it.
You do not benefit; only ThredUP benefits. Use Poshmark or Mercari or Ebay or donate!

Won't Use Again to Consign

"Thred-up has a nice selection of gently-used clothing to choose from for decent prices if you're in the market as a buyer, but as a consignor, I will not use this site again. Out of 70 items of gently-worn (many brand-new) clothing that I sent in to be consigned (adult, youth, & baby items), they only accepted 13 items, and I was only paid $18.60. To me, that isn't worth sending my items to them again. You can get unaccepted items returned to you for a cost (around $10), but that would be me paying $10 to get my own clothes back and having made a profit of only $8.60 for all of those clothes. I would have been better off donating my unwanted clothing to a local clothing bank for free. Thred-up supposedly "responsibly recycles" the clothes, but you have no idea what really happens to them. To be very honest, I just don't trust selling to this site, again. I don't trust their judgement on what is worth being resold, and I don't trust what they truly do with any unaccepted items that are still in very good condition."

This review was modified by aes11 on October 06 2016 09:44:13 AM

Stealing is a core value

"I tried it all with them ... send a bag of "almost new" items. One of 10 or so items was accepted, rest rejected. Ordered overpriced used items. What I sent was better quality and it had been rejected. Where did my other stuff really go? Didn't like most of what I ordered but kept it. Received damaged shoes ... rhinestones on strap were obviously missing. Was told I was given a discount price because they defect was seen when packaging for shipping. No call, charged me shipping for an item I would have declined. Issued me a credit upon complaining. Actually wanted me to return them, with me paying shipping and them giving me a credit for shipping. WHAT? Lastly they refused to credit Paypal or send me a check for the balance in my account. Their actual response "thredUP credits are not eligible to be transferred out of the account, they are only eligible to be used toward orders of shop merchandise and shipping". So I have to buy something more expensive than my balance and pay shipping to get my money back. That seems wrong on lots of levels to me. To me, this is STEALING. STEALING is apparently a core value of ThredUp and key element of their business model. Note ... I communicated 3 times with them about closing my account and being paid my balance. Got the same response each time. Gave them plenty of opportunity to do right before I resorted to negative feedback. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THREDUP!"

Run- don't walk from this site, you will next to nothing on your clothes

"I had a bag PACKED full of maternity clothes of which they took and gave me app. $3.00 an item, maternity clothes are a hot commodity and in high demand and while I totally understand the cost of business this one will take your clothes make a significant profit off of them and fee the **** out of you!!!
THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS CONDESCENDING and I would rather throw my clothes out a car window over a bridge than allow this company to make a gross profit on my items.

This review was modified by Mak09mommy on September 28 2016 08:02:38 AM

Dishonest and sleazy

"I ordered 3 it'ms for $27.50 with free shipping, all new with tags. I checked out, then saw after my payment that they changed the terms of the sale to where I paid $4.50 for each item, and $6 shipping. Then, each item was listed as, "final sale" meaning I could not return them. One of the three items had picks and peels on the leather all over the lining which were not disclosed in their pictures, or listing. They said I was covered under their, "polka dot promise" if an item was not in the stated condition, but here's the catch: you can only get a credit to their store, or pay $8.99 for the money to go back on your card. I wasn't going to win either way, because I did not want to buy from them again. I ended up selling the damaged item on ebay and making a decent profit. Basically, lesson learned.... Use Swap.com to buy instead."

SCAM company and should be illegal!

"They processed a very full bag of awesome clothes, brand name, barely worn, and are giving me $12.99 in total payout for 4 items. They took off $4.99 for shipping of my bag because they claim the payout was less than $50... which was not stated when requesting the sell bag. These items are now listed on their site for a total over $100 !!! WTF ?!
Additionally, I had a return and sent it in the bag it came but placed in the sellout bag to make it easier for everyone. Apparently that is not allowed. But again, I did not know this. So now I forfeit my return and it's processed like the other clothes. Which by the way, they didn't offer me money for. Yet they originally had it listed ??? Customer service is not willing to work with you to fix and basically just says this is how it is and you are screwed.

Sellers Beware

"It takes 4+ weeks for them to process a bag and 2 more weeks before you receive payment, they have horrible customer service if you're lucky enough to reach someone and if you seem to be unhappy or question their practices, they ignore you completely. They have no standard calculations for used or new with tag items and you can receive as little as 1% on a brand new in style recently purchased item with tags attached -- I was paid $.79 for a $79 item with tags attached. They are basically a resale company and the goal is to buy as cheaply as possible so donate your clothing and take the tax deduction -- it's a lot less frustrating!!"

Awful thieves. AVOID

"Boy I wish I had found this site first!! I've experienced the same garbage everyone else has. When I sent my back in in June, I was told I'd have a total payout amount over four weeks later in July, which was shocking and a bit annoying (an ETA at the top of the process would have been great), but when that date came and went with no update from them and nothing on the website, I was pissed.

I contacted them several times-- the worst part about this company is the lack of customer service. It was almost impossible to get in touch with someone, and either their customer service reps only are allowed to copy/paste scripts, or it was a bot responding to me. When the cash out amount was finally available, over two months after I sent my items in (I sent them several items, a mix of brands like J. Crew and higher end labels like Nicole Miller, all were barely worn), it was LESS THAN TWENTY DOLLARS! Then, they weren't going to issue me the money AT ALL (I have screen shots of the "cash out" button being greyed out so I couldn't click it) with no mention of any policy of needing at least $20 to cash out. I threatened to take legal action and they allowed me to "cash out" and allegedly I'm receiving a Visa gift card (bs, give me a direct deposit plus damages) in 2-3 weeks.

I also hate when companies bury their "contact us" form DEEP within the FAQs; I believe that is illegal as far as clear consumer routes to rectify transaction issues. We should file a class action lawsuit, regardless of the result it will alert the company to issues within.

This review was modified by losangelesshopper on September 11 2016 10:11:40 AM

Waste of Time for the cost

"Don't waste your time selling through them. They are very picky about what they will sell. They will sell something for $24 and you might get $2.75 for it. You will have to pay twice to have your clothes shipped back to you. First they will deduct a return amount and then you have to pay postage when you receive the item. I think this store is a seller ripoff and I will not use them again to buy or sell."

This review was modified by imase44 on August 27 2016 09:52:21 AM

Another dissatisfied customer

"When cleaning out my closet, I decided to consign older clothing locally, and intentionally sent ONLY items that were "new with tags" to Thred-up because I thought their condition would be obvious. Only one of 23 items was listed as "new with tags". I know that there can be a difference of opinion as to how worn an item is, or how valuable, but there should be no disagreement over what constitutes "new with tags." A few of them were even listed as "lightly worn."

Of course, attempts to discuss this with Thred-up received no response. My payout: $32.75. for 23 items. Any review that claims to have made hundreds is not a real review.

I will never do business with Thred-up again, and will do my best to let anyone and everyone know that it is a complete scam.

This review was modified by triplestep on August 26 2016 05:04:30 PM

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!