Stores > ThredUP

Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.83/10 2.83/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.75/10 1.75/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.83/10 0.83/10

2016-07-22

Selling through ThredUp is a huge ripoff

"I was excited to sell on this site and carefully selected high quality items that I knew would sell, including a pair of brand new Miraclebody jean capris, size 10, that were new with tags and sell for $92. You know what they sold them for? $19.99 - I got a whopping $2. (WARNING: for items they price under $14.99, you won't even get 10% --- they'll give you 5% instead). They didn't even call them NWT though it was evident from the picture that they are.

ThredUp hugely underpriced everything, emailing me that "Our specialists have carefully reviewed your bag. After examining each item, we've determined that the total upfront payout for the items we will be able to resell is $16.06." (I sent in the kit May 27, they received it June 2, I got this email June 15)

But that's not all! I knew all these items would sell but if not, that at least I could get the tax write off for donating them, so opted for the return bag for $12.99 for anything they didn't want. Again, that cost is $12.99. They rejected ONE item - a gorgeous, semi-dressy, in style Ann Taylor knee length pencil skirt in size 8 with splashy brown and coral flowers. Really, that won't sell? It sure would have. But instead they sent me back one nearly weightless thing, charged me $12.99 and gave me $16.06. My net receipt: $3.07.

Big, expensive lesson. I will never sell through this company again and recommend you not make the same mistake so many of us did =(

2016-07-20

Worst Thieves

"I don't trust these people. They rejected most of my items because they couldn't sell them yet accepted 5 things that were exactly like them. Then only gave me $19.26, which I could not get because the minimum was $20. My only way to get "paid" was to spend it with them. When I complained my entire history was wiped clean and shows that I never sent in anything, never got credit for anything, NOTHING. They don't respond to emails. You cannot call them. They are a huge rip off. "

2016-07-18

Terrible from start to finish.

"I was really excited to sell the Thredup, I felt like they had a very professional system and would be a company that bought and sold high quality items at fair prices. I have been purchasing and selling to and from consignment shops for about 5 years, so I know the drill. I know what typical pay out is. I expected the same from Thredup's buyers.

WELL. I could not have been more wrong.

First of all, the 3 week turn around they promise on there website? Try seven weeks from the date that they received my bag, 8 if you count the week it took to arrive.

Second, I turned in a bag of D.E.P.T. Free People, BCBGeneration, Joes Jeans, Citizens of Humanity, Hudson Jeans, brand new jlo shoes, worn once steve madden shoes, brand new Lauren Conrad clothing, and about 5 things from old navy and forever 21. What did they buy? The forever 21 and old navy garments. The rest (all without holes, genuine, almost brand new quality label garments) were donated. My payout? $11.54. ELEVEN dollars.

Last complaint, the two week waiting period to get my measly $11.54. So, from start to finish nearly 10 weeks to get $11.54. Honestly, I could have taken all my things to my local store, earned about $70-80 and been out the door cash in hand within an hour or two.

Ignore what they "say" they buy. They want cheap crap, not quality merchandise.

I will never sell to, or purchase from them again.

This review was modified by kelsd on July 18 2016 07:57:55 PM

2016-07-17

THEIVES

"Their website is full of total crap, fair condition stuff, yet only accepted 43% of my high-end, next to new clothing and shoes.

I did not pay for the return of my items, because I thought at least 90% would be a shoo-in. Based on the crap they sell.

I have filed a complaint with their local BBB and it was accepted, so they will be investigated.

DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. MY STUFF WASN'T DONATED TO CHARITY. IT WAS STOLEN BY THEM.

I AM A SELLER. I HAVE NOT PURCHASED ANYTHING FROM THEM. INVOICE # AND PURCHASE DATE ARE NOT FACTUAL.

This review was modified by imlesw on July 17 2016 01:24:13 PM

2016-07-05

UNBELIEVABLY LOW PAYOUTS vs their markup

"I was super excited to send off my first bag. I packed it worth of high quality items for sale. After a few weeks I was informed about the items they accepted. I think it was 9 items. Some were NEW WITH TAGS. Of these items I got $5.39 or $.59 per item upfront payout. I decided to check to see what the items were listed at. To my SHOCK the items were listed at about 10 times what I was paid out and in fact some had already sold. This was within hours after me getting the notice that the items were accepted. I have 2 more bags ready to go out. I will wait and send them to SWAP.com who actually let you set prices and take a cut from the items sold. "

2016-07-02

Worst customer experience of Entire Life!!!

"I ordered a purse in good faith on June 30. My billing, shipping, and credit card information was all correct. I received my confirmation email and happily awaited my purse. On July 2 I discovered by logging into my ThredUp account that my order had been cancelled on July 1. No reason given in my account history. Checked my email account; no apology email from ThredUp. I find this absolutely outrageous! The worst part is this was my very first purchase and I used my first customer discount. I understand things can happen that are unexpected, but to not even send me an email explaining what happened! Bad customer service. VERY BAD. I am telling everyone I know about my horrible experience with this website."

This review was modified by lolabellabelkin on July 02 2016 07:43:19 PM

2016-07-02

Slow, Deceptive, and Extremely low payoff

"I was so excited about using ThredUp. I loved the idea of being able to send in a bag, get money for what was accepted and then have the rest donated to charity. They have an image of an open hand and says "Support causes that stregnthen our community and keep clothing out of landfills. However after reading more reviews as I was becoming concerned I was being scammed because over a month had gone by and they still had not reviewed my bag, I was directed to the fine print that says the unaccepted clothing are sold or shredded at textile recycling centers. This felt very deceptive to me. The postcard that came with the clean out kit and the website had confilicting messages about what was accepted, so I emailed them for clarification. I was pleased to get a quick response that told me to look at the accepted brands online not the card. I sent in my bag, mid may, it is now June and I can see my credit but do not have access to it yet unless I want to buy from their site. I do not. I filled the entire bag with accepted brands in great and like new condition and they accepted 12 items (about 18% of bag) For twelve items, I received a credit of $9.83. This is less than 1.00 a piece. I can not afford a dress from their site with that payout. I think it is awful that I can sell TWELVE things and not even cover half of a used dress on their site. I sent in a three piece outfit from Carter's. They are selling it as three separate pieces claiming the pants alone had an original price of $27.00. That is completely false. In the future I will donate my clothing to charity or use local consignment shops. I will not support or recommend ThredUp to anyone. "

This review was modified by mamad27 on July 02 2016 02:13:51 PM

2016-06-24

I have made thousands of dollars selling to thredup! Do your research before selling.

"I started selling clothes to thredup a year ago. I always use the Earnings Estimator to look up the name brand of what I want to send to determine if it is worth sending. Everything that has been accepted matched the estimated payout. I do my homework before sending in a bag. I write down what I am sending and what the estimated payout is, then when my bag is processed, I look at what they took and note what the actual payout for each item is. It has ALWAYS matched up. I took time and read all of the site's explanations about what they take and don't take and the reasons behind it.
I always use the return assurance option for $12.99 on each of my bags. This protects me as the seller. There have been times I have not received items back they did not buy, but a when I emailed customer service with a description of the item not returned, they paid me up front for the item, NO QUESTIONS ASKED! Amanda in customer service took great care of me.
What I am not crazy about is the amount of time it takes to process bags. Some processing times are up to 45 days. But cashing out to PayPal is easy once the money becomes available.
I have also purchased items from this site. Almost all of the stuff is as described. I did buy a pair of shorts that were listed as a size 12 in the description, but turned out to be a size 16 when I received them. I didn't bother to return them, and gave them to a friend. I haven't ever returned anything, so I can't evaluate that process.
One thing that has always bothered me about the site is how they promote they donate clothes they don't buy, but as you search their site, you find they do donate, but also sell them to "3rd party sellers". This does feel a bit deceptive to me which is why I always use the return assurance option.

This review was modified by shopper1976 on June 24 2016 08:48:08 AM

2016-06-15

Rip Off

"They 'accepted' 20 items and offered me $18. Ridiculous. 90% had never been worn and retailed for $40. And they took over a month to process the offer. Will never use. "

This review was modified by philasweet on June 15 2016 06:52:07 PM

2016-06-14

Tips from someone who works there (and hates it)

"When buying, wait for the sales (that have been occurring a lot lately) due to the fact that there is a bottleneck and we are out of warehouse space to store the incoming bags of clothes when they get opened and processed (there is over a month backlog in unprocessed bags). Also, don't buy handbags from here because nobody is actually checking them for being authentic (even though we put a sticker saying so on the tag, we don't have time to do it and nobody is knowledgeable to know the difference). If you buy one make sure you get someone knowledgeable about fake handbags and knockoffs to check it out if you do buy them. Thredup has been getting many complaints from buyers and clothing/bag manufacturers for selling knock-off items. Also, ThredUp does not donate the clothes you don't get sent back to you, they sell them for profit to clothing recyclers who destroy the clothing for the materials."

This review was modified by ThredUpEmployee on June 14 2016 03:00:16 PM

2016-06-13

DO NOT SELL TO THREDUP - DONATE YOUR CLOTHES TO A LOCAL CHARITY - THREDUP RIP OFF

"DO NOT SELL TO THREDUP
I saw them on Good Morning America -saying you can make hundreds on your old clothes.
I sent a huge bag on NEW WITH TAGS clothes from Chicos.
Original prices totaled over $2.000
I got $14 yes one four, fourteen, dollars......
I am glad I had not yet sent them two more bags I was filling, again NEW WITH TAGS
clothing.
If you are willing to get $1.78 for your brand new $129 jacket - then yes, send it to
ThredUp.
For $1.78 for the new jacket, (and $.97 for a new blouse) I decided I would GLADLY donate to local charities including the Hospitals volunteer thrift store and the women's shelter thrift shop.
I could have used the money for the clothes, but I gladly gave all the clothes to the charities rather than give the profits to this cheesy company.
(being on chemo currently prevents me from holding yard sales)

SELLER BEWARE SELLER BEWARE
Charities, which I have now done.

This review was modified by SMITHSILVER2 on June 13 2016 09:20:23 PM

2016-05-30

Beware buying from them!

"I have made over $500 purchases from this company. All of the items were used designer made ones. Some of them are in a good condition, all worn, but some of them have small and big holes. Because they claim it is a designer clothes, the items are priced not cheap. I purchased Ella Moss dress recently. Because I though I was purchasing good quality stuff I could not have imagined that they can have holes in them. I have inspected the clothes thoroughly upon arrival. I complained to the company management but never heard back. Very unfortunate, if they keep selling used unwearable clothes for such prices, they will lose their clients one after another. "

This review was modified by mamka on May 30 2016 11:13:38 AM

2016-05-24

Just too slow for a seller

"I like the model of Thredup and their payouts are fair (not great) - but the process is incredibly slow and after waiting over a month for each my bags to be processed, I wonder why they do not hire more staff or adjust. I have sent about 10 bags over the last 10 months - from mailing of the bag to actually receiving a payout the time is about 50-60 days. Also if you choose to donate unaccepted items there is no accounting for them (i.e. - were they donated, or just pocked by a processor?) When you contact customer service their standard reply time is 24-48 hours and you can not call them. "

2016-05-11

First Treasure Box / Polka Dot box arrive

"OK, so I have sent in a bag of clothing to sell, and they are running a bit behind there, but I'm in no hurry so no problem there. In the mean time I placed my first order, a dress, jacket, sweater, belt and handbag. Loved Every. Single. Piece!! Their descriptions were exact! Everything but the sweater looked brand new and they had warned me about the wear on the sweater... so I knew what to expect. It's all great! They also sent an adorable little book about second hand clothing helping our earth. Love even how they wrapped my items separately within the box with cute tissue paper."

This review was modified by NatRea12 on May 11 2016 06:49:36 AM

2016-05-08

***WARNING!!!!!! DO NOT USE THREDUP!!!***

"***WARNING!!!!!! DO NOT USE THREDUP***

I sent a bag and they said they received it and that it was supposed to be processed around April 19th. Then, when I did not get my other emails, I followed up. Now, they say they "LOST" my bag. Nothing has been done!!! Support is not telling me what the next step is to reimburse me. I sent a bag of very expensive women's clothes. One beautiful black dress was $1700 new! And purchased from a high end boutique here in Southern CA. I am extremely disappointed. I even received an email from the Cheif Marketing Officer, Anthony Marino, and he has not even responded to my email about my complaint. I made my first purchase through PayPal on February 9, 2016. Purchased some cropped Paige Jeans. I received a ThredUP clean out bag with my order. I used that bag.. Made sure it was taken away by my postal delivery man and received a confirmation email that ThredUP had it. It was all scanned in, how could it have been "Lost"? I sense some shady stuff going on with this company!

Okay.. The saga continues.. I received an email that I had missed 12 days ago and saw yesterday saying that they received my bag but it all got donated (100%)... And that they were sorry. Yesterday, I ALSO received an email saying they found my bag and some of it sold.. That I needed to identify my items. MY $1700 dress sold for $68!!!!! Which means I only get $34! AND... some of my items were not listed I the items they found still! And... A brand new (with tags)... BeBe black dress ( MY FAVORITE).... They stated had a flaw and that they couldn't list it!!!! I know for sure there was no flaw! It was my favorite dress. I looked that dress up and down carefully before placing it in the bag.
I am mortified!!! Something needs to be done here. This is really really bad business practice.

This review was modified by Susansun1 on May 09 2016 04:01:41 PM

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!