Stores > ThredUP

Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.14/10 2.14/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.30/10 1.30/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.36/10 0.36/10
2017-02-17

They LOST my return items!!!!

"I paid for the 'Return Assurance' - meaning they would send back any items that they chose not to keep. Well, after waiting a couple of months, I contacted them and was told, "oops". They lost 10 items! Then, they told me they gave me a crappy $65 for those lost items. Really???? $6.50 per item???? I'm hoping to speak with a supervisor soon - this is not acceptable!"

This review was modified by roman2008 on February 17 2017 06:30:02 AM

2017-02-07

RIPOFF REPORT - FED UP WITH THREDUP

"This scam company's success depends on taking your clothes, paying you next to nothing for them, then marking the clothing up over 1000% to make a profit.

I made less than $6, for 9 items. Sent them new items with tags and in their original garment bags. The clothing was received in December and processed in February. It'll cost $10 to get your return items shipped back. By the time the processing is complete you've paid someone to rob you.

Left a vm.. no call back. Email reply took 3 days. Bbb complaint hasn't received a response, so it's clear that this company is in the business of taking your clothing AND profits.

Sell your clothes yourselves or drop them off with a local thrift store for a tax write off.

This review was modified by Natrom on February 07 2017 01:45:02 AM

2017-01-31

All these reviews are spot on!

"I really like the idea of not feeding into consumer culture and sustainability is important to me, but this is such a scam. If you are expecting a fair price for the stuff you are sending them, don't bother. You may as well donate. As far as being sustainable you are polluting on the shipping when you would be better off driving them to Goodwill. I've ordered stuff online fromThredup, but this selling experience really annoyed me, so I doubt I will buy anything in the future. It seems like a terribly flawed business model. Spend less on fancy packaging and figure out a better payout structure.

Also, the CEO wrote this really condescending blog post that is kind of gross: https://www.thredup.com/bg/p/we-want-to-buy-100-of-every-bag-you-send-us-period-oh-and-were-human

This review was modified by smtrimmer on January 31 2017 08:45:01 PM

2017-01-25

Waste of Time and Effort - Better to Donate Locally

"Sent in one bag with 18 items. Took 7 weeks to process and at that, I was awarded $6.30 upfront for six items. Five more are being sold under consignment and if they all sell I will receive about %18 on their list prices. Seven items were not accepted at all -- including two items with tags and two pairs of shoes never worn. Mistakes in the listing for items on sale: a brown sweater is listed as black (even the photo looks brown); a sweater and matching scarf are listed separately (customer service says that their policy is to not list "sets" together); two items on consignment are not listed as having "tags on" and one of those says it's slightly worn with a stain (not when I put it in the bag). Since the immediate pay-out amount is less than the $(.99 they want to charge me for the clean-out bag, I need to wait for items to sell before I can even use the proceeds to buy. Since you can change the price on consignment items, I'm considering lowering all of the prices and calling it a day. I would never recommend this method of consignment to any friends and would rather have delivered these items to Goodwill for a tax break."

This review was modified by hoera1603 on January 31 2017 08:33:22 PM

2017-01-25

The 10/90 Split is Amazing! The Best Way to Earn 10% on Selling Clothes!

"Directly from ThredUp:

"Thank you for contacting us. I am happy to review your account and further explain. The $9.99 fee is deducted from your bag payout as soon as the bag is processed. Based on the items accepted, I do show a total payout of $2.95 was provided. Because this payout was used to cover the $9.99 fee, there is no balance available. Your payout for each item will depend on the resale value of any specific item. For example, the shoes from your bag were listed in our shop for $16.99. Based on this resale value, you received a 10% payout of $1.70 which goes toward the $9.99 fee. In order to have the best possible experience, it's important to review our payout estimator here before sending in items." Okay so basically IF they sell $100.00 worth of your items, you will earn money AFTER that but only at 10% per item sold. I truly am so excited that I make a DIME on every DOLLAR they make! At this rate I might be rich NEVER. Thank you so much ThredUp for helping me NOT make any money at all. Kudos for a business that has gone downhill so quickly and now cares more about making money than it does helping others to make money. Oh and ThredUp asks us to 'throw them a bone' by writing a great review. I hope I did them proud! Maybe I'll even get an extra DIME!

This review was modified by doctorrogue on January 25 2017 09:30:02 AM

2017-01-23

ThredUp never received my items...twice...

"Do yourself a favor, and don't bother with this website. I sent them two bags of clothing at two different times, and now they don't have any records of it. After I sent the initial bag, I waited a week or two, checked online, and it indicated that it was received (bag1) and they were in the process of sorting. So, I figured I'll send in another bag, waited a week or two, and checked the website again. This time, it stated they haven't received any items from me (including bag 1). Very annoying. I searched the website for a phone number, email address...anything...with no luck. Seriously, what kind of business provides no contact info...? They want to to message them during certain business hours...ridiculous. If I had the time to hunt down my clothing, checkup on ThredUP to make sure all was processed correctly (or at all...in my case)---I'd just post everything myself on eBay or the like. Try Poshmark or elsewhere. This site is a joke. "

This review was modified by Starfishbythesea on January 23 2017 08:00:02 PM

2017-01-18

DO NOT SELL TO THIS PLACE!

"I sent a huge bag of mostly brand new with tag items and received next to nothing for it. Items that they were selling for over $12.99 on their site from my bag, received only a payout of $0.65 cents. A huge scam for anyone selling their items through them. I don't have any experience with buying but selling is definitely a NOT. I sent the bag back to them in November of 2016 and they only processed the bag in January of 2017. On top of the small payout, they charged me $9.99 cents for processing, etc. "

This review was modified by paolabrooke on January 18 2017 08:45:03 AM

2017-01-17

Have a garage sale and make more money on your clothes!

"Thred Up pays out worse than garage sale prices! Seriously!
I sent a bag full, they kept 20 items, donated rest and then gave me .50 cents store credit, oh yeah, and they have to charge YOU for shipping the bag of clothes to them. MESSED UP!
They are making BANK $$$ on this and it's pathetic!

This review was modified by mtsj on January 31 2017 08:33:57 PM

2017-01-12

Thrilled with the prices, quality and quickness!

"I was pleasantly surprised when I got my package. Nicely packaged and high quality with a personal touch. Got my new clothes quick and they were just like advertised."

This review was modified by therapypetz on January 12 2017 05:00:02 PM

My new favorite store

"As a plus size gal it's really hard to find decent clothes at my local resale shops, here in the rural Midwest. So, when I heard about this and checked it out, I fell in love. I can search up my size only and browse through their selection instead of spending hours pilfering through overcrowded racks to come away disappointed.
Recently, I placed an order for a pair of shoes. Unfortunately, they were the wrong size from what was listed on the site. It was disappointing, but people are human and make errors. I decided to keep the shoes, because they were my daughters size, but I did contact customer service to notify them of their error. I was happily surprised to see that there was a text option to contact them instead of just phone and email. After texting them, I received a real reply with an hour. They were very apologetic and compensating with a credit for the shipping fees and a 40% off credit for a future order. These were available immediately.
Today, I sent off my first bag full of clothes. I have read the reviews and realize that most people are not happy about the amount they received for their clothes. I can't speak for everyone, but I sent my clothes off with the mindset that anything is better than nothing. I plan to use the credit towards new purchases, so anything is better than what I'm getting with the clothes sitting in my closet. If I wanted to make more money off of them, I would try other means, than this.
All in all, I'm very happy with ThredUP and will continue to use them for a long time to come.

AVOID reselling here!!

"I wish I would have read more reviews before I sent my kids clothing (sizes 6-10) in but a friend had a good experience so I tried it but it was obviously before they changed their policies. 77% of my clothes were rejected. I received a "whopping" $1.80 for the FULL bag of clothes I sent in. I had checked them over carefully to ensure they were free of stains and I washed them before I sent them. They only accepted TWO items outright and then will "try" to sell 5 items on consignment BUT you don't receive that money until they are sold. I had many sets from Gymboree and a Jack and Janie wool dress that they didn't take. I saw they were selling kids shirts from Walmart, and then they don't take the majority of my clothes?? TERRIBLE service....stay away from sending items in. I never bought anything from here so I cannot comment on that aspect. Deleting the app and not looking back!"

This review was modified by SeifertA on January 11 2017 10:52:50 AM

2017-01-11

I would have felt better donating these items to charity

"I submitted a very large bag full of good quality items, some never used. It took over a month for them to process the bag. They accepted 30 items and my payout was only $4.95. What bothers me is that they have sent me emails saying 7 of my items have sold. I made about 15 cents per item. Waste of time. I would have felt better donating these items to charity. "

2017-01-07

Gross!

"I ordered three coats and one handbag from ThredUP. The handbag was great. Gently used, but clean and looking almost new. The coats were disgusting.
One coat was actually a man's coat, but sold as a woman's. I found a pair of gloves in the pocket that were men's gloves, it didn't fit correctly and it buttoned to the right.
The other coats were women's coats, but arrived filthy and wrinkled. Then when I put my hands in the pockets, I found a wadded up piece of gauze with blood on it in one coat and two used tissues in the other coat!
Seriously? You can't even check the pockets when this stuff comes in? If I shopped at a local consignment shop, even Goodwill, the clothes would be clean and pressed and they would not have biohazards lurking in the pockets.

2016-12-26

Avoid!!!

"I requested a clean out bag and I filled it full of designer clothing and sent to them. I finally had to call and ask if they got it. They did. Got less than 2.00 for all the trouble. Wish I had taken it to a local charity. "

2016-12-23

Selling to Thred Up so not worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Like many others have mentioned, really wish I would've read reviews before selling stuff to thred up. What a joke!!! Several weeks ago I sent a bag of probably 17-18 items, including 3 pairs of shoes (2 that I actually bought recently from thred up no less, one of which was a super cute pair of Steve Madden wedges that unfortunately didn't fit me). Most of the items I sent in were things I bought off thred up recently, I never wore any of them and they were sent back in the same condition that thred up sent to me, but now aren't worthy of resale????? I obviously was not expecting to get back the full amount I paid, but had to laugh out loud when I saw my net earnings of $7.16 (that isn't available to me for 14 days unless I want to use it toward a thred up purchase) They don't provide any reason for why 65% of the bag was rejected and their website says that have "very high standards" typically accepting less than 40% of items. 95% of the items I sent were purchased from thred up just a few weeks prior and never worn!!!! Their high standards accepted a pair of cheap Target flats but rejected Steve Madden wedges (that again I bought from them just weeks prior and were never worn) It seems like the magic number is 6 - looks like many reviewers only got 6 items accepted regardless of how many were sent. I will never sell to or buy from thred up again - just not worth it! Oh and did I mention that the bag was described as *FREE* but once you send it in, they deduct a $9.99 shipping fee from your earnings . What a scam!!!!!"

This review was modified by Bink327 on December 23 2016 05:39:55 PM

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!