• ThredUP

Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.83/10 1.83/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.40/10 2.40/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.41/10 1.41/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.92/10 1.92/10

"ThredUP.com huge rip off site! Customer beware if you are reselling items to this site expect little or nothing from them.First they offer to send you a "free clean out bag" to mail your clothes to them. They tell you on the site they have waived the fee of the "clean out bag." When you find out later you really paid for the bag considering what they offer to pay for the items sent. You can send brand new and used items. Once you send the items it takes them 2 months just to sort through the bag. Only to be told they can't resell them or you may get anywhere from $5 to $10 for a bag that had over 20 items in there. Then if you request to have the items sent back that you feel can be resold they tell you if you did not pay for insurance on the bag, you cannot get the items back. They come up with some lame answer that the items were already processed and sent to charity. Yet they can give you a full list of every item in the bag. So that just tells me items were still on hand and haven't been sent anywhere. The workers are probably making use out of all the items they claim can't be resold on their site. Please be careful when dealing with Thredup, you will do better selling your items on Ebay or other reputable sites. "

modified review This review was modified by Alivia11 on February 27 2015 06:16:22 AM

"THIS SITE IS A RIP OFF.... TRYING OUT THE SERVICE I SELECTED 9 BRAND NEW IN-STYLE SHOES FROM MY SHOE STORE AND SENT IT ACROSS TO THEM. IT TOOK THEM 2MTHS TO PROCESS MY BAG AFTER THE 2MTHS PERIOD I RECEIVE AN UPFRONT OFFER OF $20.00 WHICH I IMMEDIATELY REFUSED I TOLD THEM I WOULD WAIT FOR THE PROCESSING OF THE BAG SINCE I KNOW THAT THE ITEMS WERE NOT JUST BRAND NEW BUT THEY ALSO HAD A VERY HIGH RESALE VALUE BASED ON THE CURRENT MARKET. THIS IS THE EMAIL THAT THREDUP SENT:
Upfront Payout

Our specialists have carefully reviewed your bag. After examining each item, we've determined that the total upfront payout for the items we will be able to resell is $3.60.

ACCEPTED ITEMS
Practically New Size 6 Dollhouse Heels/pumps for Women Dollhouse Heels/Pumps
Practically New Size 8 1/2 C Label Flats for Women C Label Flats
Thanks for the feedback

$3.60? I then asked for a return on my items which Mylene confirmed can not be done. I am so disgusted! BEWARE THIS IS THE SITE IF YOU ARE SELECTING USED ITEMS THAT HAS BEEN WORN AND POSSIBLY TORN WITH A VERY LOW RETAIL VALUE.

modified review This review was modified by FASHION242 on February 19 2015 09:54:49 PM

"Company with POOR INTEGRITY!! I sent a high end designer dress that was worn only once and purchase for $300.00. I was certain that it had guaranteed resell value and thought that ThredUP would deliver. They reported the dress as having a stain and unable to be sold. Despite all efforts; company refused to return back to me. I find them EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL, UNETHICAL AND EXERCISE EXPLOITIVE BUSINESS PRACTICES on customers. I will never buy or sell to them ever again.

modified review This review was modified by Vocal2015 on February 16 2015 07:05:50 AM

"RIP OFF! If I knew how little I was offered to sell my clothes I would have never used this merchant. PLEASE READ ALL REVIEWS BEFORE USING ThredUP. "

modified review This review was modified by emilygolfgirl on February 13 2015 06:53:16 AM

"Are you kidding, this place is a rip off. They just offered me 20.00 for over 50 peices of clothing and new shoes. Never again, wished I had read the other reviews first, I'd rather give my clothes away then send to them again."

"Like the other reviewers, the items which were "unacceptable" were high end and flawless. I di dnot pay for the "return bag" so there went my items. I could have sold the two unacceptable items on ebay and made more than the entire payout for the items they did accept. The reason I did not rate one star is that my purchase from them was fine. I will NEVER send more items to them. I received an email asking to let them know my opinion of the service, and when I told them my candid opinion, I heard NOTHING back."

modified review This review was modified by luv2fly1011 on February 03 2015 11:15:19 AM

"VERY disappointed! DO NOT sell or buy from here. Very poor quality of clothing and very low payout. VERY slow shipping . "

modified review This review was modified by kristiemdpdr69 on February 03 2015 03:58:15 AM

"Without a doubt Thredup is an eCommerce site to STAY AWAY FROM if you are a seller. Might be ok as a buyer, however, it takes FOREVER to get paid (over 33 days and STILL counting), they charge you a fee to be paid though PayPal (which is another ripoff) and then the price you get back is ridiculously low! Most of the items I sent in were high price items AND still had the tags on them - BRAND NEW! I received most of the items as gifts and didn't want the hassle of selling on Ebay so I filled up a bag and gave Thredup a try. Boy am I sorry I did! It would have only taken ONE ITEM FOR SALE ON EBAY to make more than ALL of the items I have (and hopefully will) be paid from Thredup. They still have $10.99 that they show will be credited to my account and this hold has been OVER 3 WEEKS SO FAR! What a LOUSY way to treat people!! If you are a seller, please learn from my mistake and STAY AWAY FROM THREDUP!!!!"

modified review This review was modified by Drvyoder on February 02 2015 12:00:31 PM

"It looks like I'm the only one, but I LOVE ThredUP! I've only sent in one clean out bag, but it was packed and they accepted every item. The stuff I sent them was not high end, it was clothes from places like old navy, target, macy's... stuff like that. But it was all barely worn or brand new w/ tags. I've bought clothes from them 4 times now. I've been very happy with everything I've purchased. I'm always surprised at how new and clean smelling everything is. I feel bad that everyone has such horrible experiences but I'll keep using them until I have a bad experience myself. "

modified review This review was modified by cassielw on February 01 2015 05:27:37 AM

"Adding to the wealth of consistent information here. Do NOT use ThredUp to resell your clothing.

Along with several friends, I ordered a clean out bag and set about determining which of my clothing items I could reasonably expect them to accept for resale. I think the first "trick" is that they emphasize how strict their criteria is, and that they generally only accept new or like new clothing from top end manufacturers. So naturally in the course of deciding which things to send, we all took this warning very seriously.

I sent items that were new with tags from recent seasons (you know, the dress you bought and it didn't fit quite right but then you missed the return window and had to keep it? like that). I kept telling myself I'd sell them on ebay but the thought of taking the photographs and making measurements and posting the auction ... I just kept putting it off. So ThredUp seemed like a good compromise even though I knew I wouldn't make as much money from them. It made sense to get less money but then have someone else do the work of selling it. Anyway, I carefully packaged the new clothing in drycleaner type plastic dress bags inside the clean out bag for the journey.

Then as an afterthought, I also folded and packed in some other things that were used but still name brands that I figured they could just donate if they didn't want. But after I sent the bag and was talking to my friends about what we'd included in our shipment, I realized the used things I'd sent were outlet quality (like Banana Republic outlet, etc) and they said they didn't accept outlet store items. Oh well, I'd pretty much written those items off anyway.

Since I hadn't read any of these reviews, I was naive enough to be surprised when after looking through my bag, they "rejected" all of my current season, new with tags, carefully packaged name brand pants and skirts and dresses, size 6, not so much as a cat hair clinging to them - and "accepted" the used outlet store clothing that didn't meet any of their alleged high standards. My friends all had similar experiences.

Between 6 of us, not a single new with tags item was accepted.

Not a single high-end brand was accepted.

Not a single high quality item was accepted.

Only the dregs of our bags were accepted and naturally we were paid pennies for the dregs because they weren't worth that much.

I know it's weird to immediately think that a company that advertises this heavily is running a scam, but what do you think they are going to do with the "rejected" new with tags designer dresses that currently sell on ebay for >$100? Recycle them to a textile mill? Of course not.

And what is the experience going to be of the buyers who are shopping on the site and being offered poor quality used clothing, since that is all ThredUp is currently accepting for resale?

So read over all of these reviews and look for the trends. ThredUp emphasizes the type of quality they're looking for, but your best quality, newest and most re-sellable items will mysteriously not meet their criteria (but will be kept unless you pay in advance to ship them back).

I don't know what the real issue is here - either the people they pay to assess their clothing are stealing the most expensive stuff and selling them on the side, or ThredUp is keeping the items and maybe selling them through a secondary store, or to another reseller? I really don't know. It seems silly when this could be such a legit business model.

But the take home message is -- don't send them your stuff. Just sell it as a big lot on Craigslist to someone who wears your size. And if you're considering buying from ThredUp, I hate to say this but the stuff they accepted isn't very good and I don't think you'll end up with anything high quality.

modified review This review was modified by GenevieveAst on January 31 2015 06:39:24 AM

"ANOTHER BAG STORY - Yup, they advertized 100% profit for my bags. Sent in two, top grain leather expensive Marc Jacobs and Ann Taylor handbags in MINT condition. Was told neither were accepted and as a result, they keep them. What the heck? This is crazy. What a horrible gamble. Done with them. "

modified review This review was modified by kck1244 on January 29 2015 05:00:36 PM

"ThredUp does mostly deserve the bad reviews it seems to be getting from a huge number of dissatisfied customers. Although I don't think they are intentionally scamming anyone as some have suggested, it easy to feel that way when they consistently reject items as "not current" or stained or faded when they are brand new and in fashion. My guess is that they have poorly trained or incompetent/unknowledgeable staff who don't actually know enough about fashion or trends or just how to determine condition. For example, they mistake intentional distressing for fading and wear on brand new jeans or think that the natural fuzziness of high end mohair is "pilling," etc. I could go on. The bigger problem is that they make consumers decide if they want their rejected clothing returned BEFORE they send it in and charge $13 in advance for the option. So they might accept all of your clothing except for a couple of items that you don't really care about and if you chose the return option, you'd still have to pay $13 to have the pleasure of receiving the items back and donating them yourself. Likewise, you could end up with a bunch of high end, new with tags items being rejected and if you didn't choose the option, you can't get the stuff back when you discover they are being donated for reasons that make no sense. This happened to me and my sister with a bunch of stuff that I was too lazy to sell on ebay but was certain they would accept. Instead, we lost all of it. Overall, expect to be disappointed. If you are going to donate everything anyway, then it is worth taking the chance. But if you are looking for a good consignment option, look elsewhere. Ironically, the one thing I bought from them was a pair of boots that were described as practically new and which were creased and scuffed in multiple places."

modified review This review was modified by girlsellingstuff on January 29 2015 06:32:23 AM

"I was a little nervous after sending in my polka dot bag and reading poor reviews that I was going to get no money back. But they were great in keeping me posted about receiving my bag, the status of it's inspection and then details of my final inspection. I am a little skeptical that at least on of the items (only worn once or twice) wasn't posted but I see the same shirt in a different size posted. So why wouldn't they take mine (still waiting on an answer). But I was happy with what they took. Some stuff was outdated, out of season so I get why they didn't want it. But all my in-style pristine items they took and made note that they are in near perfect condition. Be sure the things you send it are a) a designer that they even accept and b) they look good. You wouldn't want to buy someone's ratty stuff on a high end site!"

modified review This review was modified by AshleyCB on January 27 2015 08:26:12 AM

"I sent in a bag of clothes more than 6 weeks ago. Only communication from the company is a series of e-mails pushing back the date they intend to review my clothes. The latest e-mail stated it would be another 2 weeks, yet I have little faith that date will be honored. Avoid this company. I am sickened when I think of the nice things I sent them. "

modified review This review was modified by BridgetAY27 on January 22 2015 06:00:37 AM

"I'm still not convinced that this is a legitimate company!!! I ordered a t-shirt way back in mid-December and still haven't received my product. They won't respond to me at all. Don't order from them!!!! "

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!