Stores > ThredUP

Shipping & packaging: Rating 6.51/10 6.51/10
    Customer service: Rating 5.83/10 5.83/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 5.11/10 5.11/10

2016-04-17

Pleased with my purchase, Save $10 off your first order!

"I have not sold any clothing through ThredUP, so I can't comment on that aspect of the site, but I was very pleased with my first purchase as a buyer. The clothes were of good quality and as described (I appreciate that they list any minor flaws and provide measurement and color info unlike some other online consignment shops). My only complaint is that their shipping is a tad slow, but that could just be to where I live (a more rural area).

You can save $10 off of your first order through this link: http://www.thredup.com/r/ZFCJYY

Someone shared a link with me that I used on my first order, so I figured I'd spread the love (and savings). The coupon / promo code will be added to your account automatically when you sign up.

This review was modified by AureliaB on April 21 2016 09:56:45 PM

2016-04-13

ThredUp is a rip off

"I sent them 4 fairly expensive items of clothing and 2 pair of shoes (each very gently used). After seeing how much they resold my items for and how much I was able to cash out, I realized they were making close to a 300% profit. I didn't even receive a communication regarding the shoes, only how much they were selling the clothes for. I sent a complaint to the company and what I got back was an automated message which essentially just reiterated their policies... none of which included the fact that I was going to get ripped off by that much. Never again."

This review was modified by Rnadolna on April 13 2016 08:55:43 AM

2016-04-12

Very Good

"I receive what I want in good conditions. I'll continue looking for more options."

2016-04-08

Roll the dice: Selling and buying are both a gamble on ThredUp

"First, let me say, I am completely happy with the amount of money I received when I sold items to ThredUp. However, which items they bought and how much they paid for each item was completely unpredictable. A significant number of my items were not identified correctly when listed for sale on the site. This unpredictability and inaccuracy means I would not recommend ThredUp to friends for either buying or selling.

I read all of the information ThredUp provides about their buying process including posts from their blog. I used the seller calculator to estimate how much I might make for each item. None of this information matched up very well with my selling experience.

For a bag containing 14 items from brands like J. Crew, Gap, Sofft, Frye, Rockport, Express, and Seven7, I expected about $50 . I received $37 up front and a consignment item could fetch another $34. So better than I expected. But how ThredUp arrived at those numbers is inscrutable.

A pair of like-new Sofft heels was rejected. But a 12-year-old Gap jacket, which I tossed in just to see if they really know if items are over 5 years old, was accepted. It wasn't the only accepted item over 5 years old either.

Two of my items, when listed for sale on the site, were grossly misidentified. That Gap jacket? It is made of a cotton twill. But it's now listed on the site as a faux fur jacket. Similarly, a linen-blend skirt was labeled as wool. I haven't purchased anything from ThredUp, and this misidentification of the items I sold makes me quite reluctant to buy anything from the site.

Listing prices are based on original retail prices, while seller payouts are based on listing prices. The original retail prices shown on the site for my listed items was almost never accurate. A coat was undervalued and then listed for sale at $14.99 putting it just barely in the lowest payout category, which netted me a mere 10% of listing price. So I got $1.49 for a really nice, never worn coat because it was incorrectly identified.

To be fair though, I received more than I should have for other items. In my particular bag, the sloppy identifications tipped to my advantage, but there's no predicting what will happen with each bag sent.

Bottom line: Both buying and selling seem to be a gamble with ThredUp. On the buying end, I would suggest only sending things you're happy to get even a small amount of money for because what will or won't be accepted is mysterious and accepted items may not be correctly identified. For purchases, there are some wonderful deals, but buyer beware. Scrutinize the photos and consider whether the descriptions seem accurate.

This review was modified by ashsalt on April 08 2016 04:46:10 PM

2016-03-30

Sellers: Donate your clothes instead

"Since they changed their payout pricing my recent bags have earned me around $20. When I view my bag, they sell mostly everything I send (15-20 items) and what I have found is that they price things on the .99 scale so they can avoid paying you the higher percentage (i.e. selling something for 19.99 vs 20.00 is a difference in earning 15% or 25%!- that one penny cost me 10%)

I would have much rather donated my clothes to Dress for Success, or something similar, knowing that they will be put to better use.

This review was modified by nob2010 on March 30 2016 04:25:26 AM

2016-03-17

Love, Love, LOVE!

"This was my first time ordering from ThredUp and I absolutely love everything about the company and my experience! ThredUp really has something to fit every women's taste and style. Not to mention they also provide a huge selection for the kiddos too.. and it's all at a price that's sure to fit anyone's budget! Items came exactly as described/pictured if not better. My shipment arrived 2 days earlier than the estimated delivery date. Oh, and I have to also rave about the ADORABLE packaging my order was in! It defiantly put a huge smile on my face when opening! I would overall give my experience with ThredUp a 10 out of 10! Thanks for making it so easy and affordable to stay with the latest trends!"

2016-03-10

Good quality clothes and Get $10 off your first order

"ThredUp does a nice job only selecting good quality used clothing, shoes and bags and they tell you up front if there are any signs of wear on the item. Processing and shipping is a little slower than other online shops, but items are packaged with care, which is a nice touch.

This review was modified by havernell on March 12 2016 11:23:42 AM

2016-03-09

SELLING FAKES!!!!!

"I loved ThredUP in the beginning. less than half of what they have shipped to me has been authentic designer product. I recently purchased three coach bags and a Burberry top and skirt for my daughter from them have all been COUNTERFEIT!!!!!!!!!! I paid 50 dollars for a Burberry skirt and it arrived with a tag and logo that said "Burberrys" with an S. the material is crap The zipper was plastic for crying out loud! The coach bags didn't have the coach creed the logo wasn't correct and the leather tag for the coach creed and authentication stamp was completely missing! I paid 70+ dollars per bag for piss poor imitations that are worth nothing! I thought buying from ThredUP would be good for the environment but I paid to have trash sent to me from the other side of the country! Talk about the worst environmental and financial decision I've ever made! NEVER AGAIN, F U ThreadUP! "

This review was modified by DinosaursRawr on March 09 2016 04:14:28 AM

2016-02-23

It may be great for the buyer but not for this seller.

"I recently sent a bag of items for review to ThredUP. After waiting a month, they finally reviewed my items (6 tops that had been lightly worn and 2 brand-new, tags still on them, pants). They said they would keep 4 of the tops and the 2 pairs of pants. I opted, when I sent the bag, to have items returned that they did not want (a $12.99 fee).

They are listing my items for just over $68 and paid me $8.60. That's means I am getting around 12% of what they will potentially make from selling my items. I have sold on other sites before where I got 60% of the resale value and was happy with the portion I got to keep there.

So because I opted to get my unwanted items back (which they make you do up front, before you send them anything), that means I owe them $4.39 to sell my clothes and return my two items. I have read reviews where people had much nicer items than mine were and they got next to nothing for them. If nothing else, I learned a lesson.

I understand they have to make money but taking an 88% cut seems pretty steep. The folks buying clothes on there are getting them at a great deal so I cannot attest to that end of it. However, I will not be trying it out as a buyer since I am rather unimpressed as a seller.

This review was modified by tmb110 on February 23 2016 01:57:53 PM

2016-02-17

Rip off if you sell to them

"I sent them several pairs of designer shoes--barely worn because they were uncomfortable. Each of the 4 pairs cost in the $400 range plus about 10 other pairs of shoes in the $150ish range which were very gently worn. They sent me a check for $5.13. Do not send them your clothes/shoes. My shoes have never showed up on their website, making me wonder if the people unpacking them might have taken them home? I emailed a complaint but got no response other than "sorry". No offer to look into the problem at all. It took over a month for my bag to even get processed. I could have sold on eBay but just didn't want to bother with it. I would have been better off going to Goodwill. At least then I would have helped some people."

This review was modified by KarenPalmer12 on February 17 2016 07:39:19 AM

2016-02-14

Hoping for better trade in value!

"I do a lot of selling at local consignments, eBay and Crossroads - and I was SO hopeful of ThreadUp as I love the easy send-in process. Sadly, out of a huge, heavy bag that I lugged 10 blocks to ship, they accepted a total of... 3 items... and offered $19.00. Comparatively at a Beacons Closet or Crossroads I would have gotten ~$40-100 for the same amount typically. While I appreciate that they are choosing only "like new" items, I know for a fact at least a few other items were in great condition, including a pair of leather lace up boots that look just like the ones currently sold in store. In any event, the customer service and branding is great, but I just don't know if I got enough value back to do it again."

This review was modified by ConstantResellerSEA on February 14 2016 12:59:28 PM

2016-02-05

ThredUp is so great!

"Well, I've never sold anything via ThredUp, so I cannot comment on that. However, I have used it to buy clothes and it's a great company! I wish there were more pictures and/or better quality pictures so that it can be easier to see exactly what I'm interested in, but with online shopping you can't expect too much. I've purchased two shirts from ThredUp and I am very happy. You can't even tell they are used clothes. There have a wide selection of nice brands and designers and you can't beat the prices. If you're looking to refresh your wardrobe at a reasonable price, this is definitely the place to check out! Delivery is very quick and I love how the clothes come wrapped in pretty packaging. I feel like I'm opening a really special gift just for me. "

This review was modified by cmpark95 on February 05 2016 10:34:32 AM

2016-02-05

Complete Idiots

"Thread up my be a good way to get 2$ for a $90 used top.
But they RETURN or just take if you let them, NEW W TAGS Tahari, Free People, Betsy Johnson etc dresses tagged at $200 - $500 dollars.
Always get clothes returned, see for yourself.
COMPLETE IDIOTS
PS. Happened more than 5 times over last 8 months.

This review was modified by jadedjuls on February 05 2016 07:22:16 AM

2016-02-04

Fast and affordable !

"Good quality, easy click, reviews on some lines of clothing always helpful with returns options you can not beat!!!"

2016-02-04

THIEVES!!

"I sent them a bag of about 30 items, all gently used, lots of name brand stuff (Zara, Adriano Goldschmied etc.) and they took 8 items and said that they payout would be $15.63. That's $1.95 per item! I would have gotten more money if I just went to Crossroads. It's great if you are buying from them, but just know when you do they screwed the seller. I'm on their site now and saw one of my blazers on there that they are selling for $15!!!!! Do not waste your time with this place. "

This review was modified by katieob83 on February 04 2016 11:31:48 AM

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!