Stores > ThredUP

Customer service: Rating 1.11/10 1.11/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.25/10 1.25/10

2016-09-25

Dishonest and sleazy

"I ordered 3 it'ms for $27.50 with free shipping, all new with tags. I checked out, then saw after my payment that they changed the terms of the sale to where I paid $4.50 for each item, and $6 shipping. Then, each item was listed as, "final sale" meaning I could not return them. One of the three items had picks and peels on the leather all over the lining which were not disclosed in their pictures, or listing. They said I was covered under their, "polka dot promise" if an item was not in the stated condition, but here's the catch: you can only get a credit to their store, or pay $8.99 for the money to go back on your card. I wasn't going to win either way, because I did not want to buy from them again. I ended up selling the damaged item on ebay and making a decent profit. Basically, lesson learned.... Use Swap.com to buy instead."

2016-09-23

SCAM company and should be illegal!

"They processed a very full bag of awesome clothes, brand name, barely worn, and are giving me $12.99 in total payout for 4 items. They took off $4.99 for shipping of my bag because they claim the payout was less than $50... which was not stated when requesting the sell bag. These items are now listed on their site for a total over $100 !!! WTF ?!
Additionally, I had a return and sent it in the bag it came but placed in the sellout bag to make it easier for everyone. Apparently that is not allowed. But again, I did not know this. So now I forfeit my return and it's processed like the other clothes. Which by the way, they didn't offer me money for. Yet they originally had it listed ??? Customer service is not willing to work with you to fix and basically just says this is how it is and you are screwed.
READ THE FINE PRINT PEOPLE!

2016-09-13

Sellers Beware

"It takes 4+ weeks for them to process a bag and 2 more weeks before you receive payment, they have horrible customer service if you're lucky enough to reach someone and if you seem to be unhappy or question their practices, they ignore you completely. They have no standard calculations for used or new with tag items and you can receive as little as 1% on a brand new in style recently purchased item with tags attached -- I was paid $.79 for a $79 item with tags attached. They are basically a resale company and the goal is to buy as cheaply as possible so donate your clothing and take the tax deduction -- it's a lot less frustrating!!"

2016-09-11

Awful thieves. AVOID

"Boy I wish I had found this site first!! I've experienced the same garbage everyone else has. When I sent my back in in June, I was told I'd have a total payout amount over four weeks later in July, which was shocking and a bit annoying (an ETA at the top of the process would have been great), but when that date came and went with no update from them and nothing on the website, I was pissed.

I contacted them several times-- the worst part about this company is the lack of customer service. It was almost impossible to get in touch with someone, and either their customer service reps only are allowed to copy/paste scripts, or it was a bot responding to me. When the cash out amount was finally available, over two months after I sent my items in (I sent them several items, a mix of brands like J. Crew and higher end labels like Nicole Miller, all were barely worn), it was LESS THAN TWENTY DOLLARS! Then, they weren't going to issue me the money AT ALL (I have screen shots of the "cash out" button being greyed out so I couldn't click it) with no mention of any policy of needing at least $20 to cash out. I threatened to take legal action and they allowed me to "cash out" and allegedly I'm receiving a Visa gift card (bs, give me a direct deposit plus damages) in 2-3 weeks.

I also hate when companies bury their "contact us" form DEEP within the FAQs; I believe that is illegal as far as clear consumer routes to rectify transaction issues. We should file a class action lawsuit, regardless of the result it will alert the company to issues within.

thredupclassaction@gmail.com

This review was modified by losangelesshopper on September 11 2016 10:11:40 AM

2016-08-27

Waste of Time for the cost

"Don't waste your time selling through them. They are very picky about what they will sell. They will sell something for $24 and you might get $2.75 for it. You will have to pay twice to have your clothes shipped back to you. First they will deduct a return amount and then you have to pay postage when you receive the item. I think this store is a seller ripoff and I will not use them again to buy or sell."

This review was modified by imase44 on August 27 2016 09:52:21 AM

2016-08-26

Another dissatisfied customer

"When cleaning out my closet, I decided to consign older clothing locally, and intentionally sent ONLY items that were "new with tags" to Thred-up because I thought their condition would be obvious. Only one of 23 items was listed as "new with tags". I know that there can be a difference of opinion as to how worn an item is, or how valuable, but there should be no disagreement over what constitutes "new with tags." A few of them were even listed as "lightly worn."

Of course, attempts to discuss this with Thred-up received no response. My payout: $32.75. for 23 items. Any review that claims to have made hundreds is not a real review.

I will never do business with Thred-up again, and will do my best to let anyone and everyone know that it is a complete scam.

This review was modified by triplestep on August 26 2016 05:04:30 PM

2016-08-20

An occassional great deal, but TERRIBLE returns and customer service

"I will begin by saying, yes, I have gotten some amazing deals on some clothes that I love (LOVE!!!). However, the returns (and all customer service related to returns) are TERRIBLE!!!!! So terrible, in fact, that it usually doesn't make the deals I do get worth it. As it is with online shopping (can't feel the fabric or try on when you buy) I return quite a bit of what I buy. For most online shopping experiences, that's not a problem, but quite often ThredUp screws up the return. If it's a big, combined return, they miss at least one or two things. Almost always something pricy. So far they have always ended up refunding me (at least for the things I have caught!!!!), but it always takes at least ten to fourteen days of arguing with them. So I have to be SUPER careful about checking EVERY THING EVERY TIME I return ANYTHING. Which is a pain. Then I have to spend hours arguing with them when I find the error. And it delays my refund.

Here's the most recent example: I bought 3 items and returned two (together in the same package). The returned items cost $24.99 and $75.99. The item I kept cost $27.99. I initially created a return for all three (individually), but only printed and returned the slips for the items I actually returned. When I received the email notifications that the returns were processed, they had processed the two cheaper items. The dress I had not returned was a very, very unusual brand and the picture they posted had the same wrinkles as the original, so I was certain it was the same one. These dresses look NOTHING alike, but they were not paying attention or something. As I said, it's almost always something pricy. This is a $48 difference. It has been 72 hours since I notified them of the error and no word. We'll see what happens.

I also agree with the reviewers who say you don't get much for what you sell. But that was what I expected. That's just how these business models work. I figure, hey, I was just cleaning out my closet. Since it was always free to send in the past, I just figured, hey, why not, it's no more trouble going to the post office than Goodwill and I might end up with some cash (to date nearly $400, but that's about about fifteen months and I had sent in some really high end stuff). Now it looks like they are going to start charging $6.99 for shipping, so I'll probably quit and send my nicer stuff somewhere else.

This review was modified by moth07 on August 20 2016 07:21:15 AM

2016-08-18

Great to buy from! Because they rip off the people who sell to them.

"Waste of money and time. I received less than one dollar from a huge bag of clothing from brands accepted by ThredUp. If you would like to donate to a for-profit company, "sell" this company your clothing.

They are able to sell clothing at great discounts. The value as a buyer is great, but the business model relies upon screwing their sellers.

Donate your clothes or sell on Ebay. Selling to this company is a complete ripoff.

This review was modified by helgs on August 18 2016 05:52:23 PM

2016-08-12

What a HOAX

"I do not recommend ThredUp to anyone!!!!! It took them nearly 3 months to work my bag and clothes will be out of season by then. I had brand new items in my bag that were new with price tags attached. I certainly do not expect to get even half of what I paid for them!!! Items sent had a value on the price tags of $385. I had a few odds and ends (VS items) that were new without tags as well. All items sent were name brands! So today I got my email indicating that I have $12.45 credit to use from the clean out bag submitted. I WILL NOT BE USING ThredUp ever again and will NEVER recommend them. In fact I may contact the BBB because I feel that they are not ethical in their business practice and I actually took photos of what I sent, including showing the price tags attached and also shows the value. I requested a second bag before my first bag was worked. I will be throwing that bag away and deleting the app from my phone. I would have done better donating the items to the Salvation Army, got a receipt and used the deduction on my taxes.

THREDUP IS A SCAM and I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT recommend them!!!!!! BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY!!!! If it was up to me, I would NOT have given them any stars!!!! Wish I would have looked at feedback before I even requested a bag!

This review was modified by Montanagal1 on August 12 2016 09:03:48 PM

2016-08-09

LOVE THREDUP

"Not sure why all the bad reviews for TU because I have been sending them bags for about a year now and always receive a great payout! I think people are using this as a way to make extra money like as if they were selling the items on ebay or something and that's simply not what it is. Thredup is basically a place where you can send your unwanted , good condition clothing, in order to make just a few dollars instead of not getting anything by donating them. I send them probably two bags a month and have had great success with my payouts. I send about 20 to 30 items and all different brands. Some high end and some not. I would rather make 5% on them than give them to a goodwill for free. Dont expect to send in a bag and get what you paid for the item or think its like selling on another site like Posh or eBay because its not! Its just a way of getting rid of unwanted clothing and making a few bucks. Here are just a few of my payouts and they are not that bag considering I was never going to wear these items. As far as turn around time, they are very slow and waiting two weeks for your cash payout is crazy, but there is always good and bad with all of these companies .

8/3/16 - payout confirmed $147.67

4/30/16 - payout confirmed $89.43

This review was modified by wingirl123 on August 09 2016 05:23:30 AM

2016-08-07

Not Happy with Customer Service

"have tried three times over the course of the last 8 days to reach out to them. No response."

2016-08-05

Don't trust for important life events, they're not there for you.

"Just placed a big order (~$300) on Thredup (well, actually it was on JULY 23). I have been a loyal customer for a long time; in fact the night I placed this order of about 14 items, I referred someone to Thredup who did end up purchasing. I just started a new job in an extremely well-known nonprofit. I do not have a lot of money but I need to be business formal for interviews, meetings, and photo ops. I ordered through Thredup before I even started. I have recently moved and accidentally kept my old address. All I wanted was a simple address change. The first person I talked to said no problem and that it was taken care of; he then sent me a review option and I gave him full marks. Days passed by and although my shipping info stated "rerouted, no action needed", something just did not smell right. After five phone calls and various emails later, turns out no one, not even Thredup, knows where my order is. Their only solution was to refund me, no answer to an expedited shipping refund (I NEED these clothes starting MONDAY), let alone any hope of talking to an actual person. Absolutely disgusting. I have since taken back every good review, and every in-person referral I have given them thus far (I get asked almost daily about my outfits). I was previously a LikeTwice.com follower. They affiliated with Ebay and disappeared. I gave Thredup a chance and when I really, TRULY needed them, they MESSED UP. I'm not even confident that they will successfully figure out how to refund me. I am MAD. DO NOT trust important orders to these guys, I have yet to see any real resolution. SOOOOOO disappointed, can't even begin to express. I counted on them and they failed."

This review was modified by LaurelGhoshRoy on August 05 2016 10:49:58 PM

2016-08-05

DO NOT USE! LIKE ROBBERY COMPANY

"Do not use this terrible company. Long story short I sent in my bag of clothes. I received back $10.95 in credit and an email with the 4 items they will be using. Those items are reselling for a total of $72.96. Out of that, let me remind you they gave me $10.95! Worst suggestion to use this company. "

This review was modified by Drea620 on August 05 2016 07:47:16 AM

2016-08-02

THINGS GOING BAD AT THREDUP

"over 100 reviews at site jabber today. That's right 100+ instead of usual 4 or 5 reviews 90+ reviews rated 5 stars. Talk about a dishonest company !
f you ordered a bag after July 16 you will be charged 6.99 when they process it. Plus 6.99 to recycle any rejects, even if it's only one item. Lower tiers mean up to 14.99 thredup price you will recieve 5%, so for up to 14.99 resale price you get 65 cents max. Up to 19.99 resale you get a whopping 1.99 MAX. How many items will you need to just cover the 13.98 fees. Great place to shop, especially now with so many items at 19.99. Guess they have a big enough inventory now they think it will be OK to screw sellers, at least until they get rid of excess inventory. SELL if you must, but don't say I did not warn you HONESTLY

2016-07-31

Sellers Stay Away - Rip Off!

"They sold my items for $90.41 and gave me $7.00. Visit a local consignment store instead of using this company. You will be helping a local business owner and get more cash for your items. "

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!