• Rating 2.17/10 143 reviews

ThinkGeek.com is not a merchant member
    ThinkGeek.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • ThinkGeek.com contact information

Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.25/10 2.25/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 2.86/10 2.86/10

"Wrote them an email a year ago to ask for missing batteries that were supposed to be included. They responded today(over a year later!) that I was SOL, however I could feel free to buy some from the internet. I responded that this was extremely poor customer service, and their response boiled down to "too bad."

I have ordered from thinkgeek several times, and this is the first problem I've had, but it is so negative, that I have never shopped there again. They have a terrible company, and will most likely not fix any problems you have. DO NOT BUY FROM THINKGEEK.

modified review This review was modified by Ihatethinkgeek on January 11 2014 12:28:49 PM

"Similar experience as some of the other negative reviews. Ordered some items on Dec. 12 to be delivered before Christmas, took them 5 days to report one item was out of stock. Other items were reported to be arriving by Dec. 23. Didn't arrive that day or the 24th, despite our waiting at home and checking constantly. While all of the other kids were opening their presents on Christmas, had to take one child aside and explain why their presents weren't there. Won't order from them again, and wouldn't have done so this time if I had seen the other negative reviews ahead of time. "

modified review This review was modified by JohnBRSmith on December 27 2013 12:49:25 PM

"Was a bit surprised to see the 2 out of 5 stars average (as I write this review that may change given time of course) for thinkgeek, I've ordered from them several times in the past with no problems whatsoever.. basically the problem was my fault - ordered a $9.99 grumpy cat "no" mug for Christmas that my 10 year old little guy didn't like so much (nothing wrong with the mug itself arrived in perfect condition, was just a bad choice on my part) ... knowing that many stores offer prepaid shipping and handling in a situation like this to return unwanted xmas gifts but also knowing thinkgeek's standard return policy (like that of many stores) is to have the customer pay return shipping if there's nothing wrong with the product (fair enough) I contacted them via phone seeing if there would be an exception to the policy for the holiday season... while their standard return policy does apply the customer service rep, who was SUPER nice and sweet as pie, consulted with someone else then let me keep the mug for free AND gave me a gift certificate for the same dollar amount as the mug ($9.99).. how generous is that !?! :) ... again very astonished by all the bad ratings on here, I've had nothing but positive experiences with thinkgeek though to my shame I haven't bothered to comment about it publicly until now- given their previously mentioned kindness however I felt compelled to do so right now. (scratches head again in confusion while looking at all the other reviews)..."

"Wow, after reading so many comments here I was fearing the worst when I had to return something that was broken in shipment. I must say, I did not expect what came next. Possibly one of the easiest and best customer service resolutions ever. I received a shipment of items the day before Christmas eve, 1 item had a broken piece in shipment so I submitted an RMA for replacement. 10 hours later (Now it's Christmas Eve) I get a reply that and a confirmation order email stating they're sorry for the issue and have already sent my replacement out, free of charge and no return necessary. Like I said, after reading so many negative reviews here, I was simply blown away at how easy and wonderful this was. I've shopped at ThinkGeek numerous times and this was the first issue I've ever had. I've never had shipping delays, everything has always arrived in a timely manner. I'm quite happy with how it all worked out and WILL continue to order from them. "

modified review This review was modified by Optics82 on December 24 2013 11:42:20 AM

"Here's the important takeaway about ThinkGeek, from my personal experience and the many reviews below:

They frequently miss delivery commitments, they *know* they have lousy customer service, and they've chosen not to fix either. They've made a business decision to simply accept a significant percentage of disappointed customers - usually messed over right around the holidays - rather than spend money fixing the issue.

Specifically: Thinkgeek is notorious for blaming shippers for 'losing packages'. As a UPS rep told me, they rely on customers not knowing that 'Tracking Information Received' (the status message you'll see on UPS, that translates to your-delivery-is-not-coming) doesn't mean the shipper ever got a package.

All it means is that Thinkgeek sent UPS a notice that a package *would* be coming. When Thinkgeek's warehouse folks drop the ball, as they seem to do routinely, this gives Thinkgeek somebody else to blame.

In my personal case, I ordered an item the 19th December for guaranteed delivery on the 23rd December. It didn't arrive that morning, so I checked the status - "Tracking info received".

I livechatted Thinkgeek, who promptly blamed the shipper, but who did agree to ship a replacement next day - so it would arrive today (24th December). I was pleasantly surprised.

Then I read my email this morning. From UPS:

SHIPPER TENDERED THE SHIPMENT TO UPS AFTER THE LATEST PICKUP TIME FOR THE REQUESTED SERVICE. A DAY DELAY IS LIKELY.

Contacted Thinkgeek again, and they simply repeated what UPS told me.

I've cancelled the order, demanded a full refund including prepaid return shipping to send back the item when (if?) it ever arrives.

In summary - last time I'm buying from them. My recommendation is showroom their site, and find the merchandise someplace else.

modified review This review was modified by JEMUR on December 24 2013 10:11:52 AM

"Absolute worst customer service and problem resolution ever. will never buy from them again. Ordered on the 14th and will not even get my order until the 26th if im lucky. They never shipped my order , and never contacted me when it was supposedly lost.they claimed it got lost in transit yet ups tracking states they never even received the package. i emailed them 3 times and never received a response. Good luck calling them either, they dont ever answer. i finally got ahold of someone on live chat and they refused to ship the package with a fast enough speed to get me my order by christmas. Delivery was available yet they chose not to do it! When i asked to connect me with a supervisor , i was told they wont do live chat. She stated that i need to call in. i told her "whats the point of that when no one answers the phone!" i told her to have them call me since they dont answer and she stated they wont make outgoing calls. If they screw up your order, they will not go out of their way one bit to fix it. i look forward to never buying from them again!"

modified review This review was modified by jz2107 on December 23 2013 08:04:59 PM

"The worst company ever. Cancels purchases with no notification. Only way to find out they f@cked you is to go track down your order history and see "CANCELLED".

Don't answer the phone. Don't answer the live chat.

Absolutely pitiful. Good Riddance. Will be sure to tell everyone I know to avoid TG like the plague.

modified review This review was modified by thinkgeeksucks on December 20 2013 11:45:03 AM

"After years of dealing with this company, I made another purchase recently. The items I wanted were in stock and waiting. They held onto my order and one of the items went out of stock during this time. They then shipped a partial order, with one of the items being back ordered for months. Charged me extra for 3 day shipping to get it prior to Christmas and because of the delays, it won't arrive until after. I was flat out lied to, two times on two different days by two different people. Turns out, they have zero clue when items are shipping and tell you things like "It will ship today" based on the amount of processing time the order has. I would not bother with this company, they have become one of those internet companies you look at and shudder. I will never do business with this company again.

I worked with customer service after posting this review and they refunded the cost of the 3 day shipping.

modified review This review was modified by visad on December 20 2013 07:03:51 AM

"They lost my order, then refused to replace it in time for Christmas even though I had ordered it weeks before, in plenty of time for the holidays. Take your business elsewhere. "

modified review This review was modified by aadacl on December 19 2013 03:35:06 PM

technut77's Avatar
Washington DC

"Shocked at the reviews here, but I ordered a little gizmo for my daughter and she loved it. She constantly asks to look at the site."

"Absolutely Horrible - I placed an order on the 9th..I'm sent a tracking # for UPS ground the next day...today the 18th I still see no updates on the tracking and that only a label has been printed..which anyone who has shipped items knows you can just print a dummy label while something is being processed AKA if you physically don't have it to ship....I go on the live chat today the 18th and they tell me the item is out of stock. Yes, this happens but how can they be so lazy and not even email and let me know. It's Christmas and this was a gift. They offered me a $10 extra credit with the refund to use on their site..HA. Will not be back. F- "

modified review This review was modified by havetohavetodothisbut on December 18 2013 04:45:52 AM

"While I love the items for sale on the website, I absolutely hate this company. There's really no excuse for how badly they perform.

I've been shipped the wrong items. Customer service is unresponsive to the point it's almost non existent. You can't exchange anything, if you get the wrong size of a shirt for example, you have to return and rebuy it. If the price is higher now, well too bad for you, it now costs you more. If you do return something, there's a good chance they'll never credit you. Their inventory tracking is terrible. They have no idea what their current stock is on anything and will oversell.

Everything about this place is anti-customer, and like it's run out of some guy's basement. Hey, that's fine, that's their choice. My choice is to not shop there if I can get it elsewhere.

modified review This review was modified by hlang on December 11 2013 05:55:24 AM

"Wow, i didnt know there were so many negative reviews, if i had known, i wouldnt have bought stuff on there. I wouldn't say they scammed me, but 2/3 not perfect and i wouldn't order again even with geekpoints. I ordered the butterfly in a jar, molecular cuisine kit, bleeding candle, diy bloodtype test, and bloody butcher knife purse. The diy bloodtype test didn't come was missing the plastic pipette, and the bloody butcher knife purse was sorta scuffed up and bent. Obviously i am sending the test back since i couldn'tt do it without everything, but i ultimately decided to keep the purse because its still cool and i figured they woulda sent me the same one and not in better condition. It was not worth it for the price though."

modified review This review was modified by toriimoca on August 18 2013 04:37:42 PM

"I ordered the Minecraft Bundle, I chose economy shipping to the UK as I didn't have that much money and thought everything would be fine and dandy, it'll arrive in 1-3 weeks. Oh, how wrong I was. I waited an entire month with no sign of my parcel, I thought it was a little peculiar as the last time I ordered something from there, it arrived in 2 weeks. I contacted them to see if they could at least tell me whether or not my parcel had arrived in the UK as economy shipping can't be tracked. They came back with the response of "economy shipping can't be tracked blah blah blah" and telling me that it appears my parcel was lost in transit. I was asked which option I'd prefer a. A replacement shipped via economy shipping b. a store credit or c. a full refund, I still wanted/want my bundle so I chose to have a replacement, which low and behold, is out of stock. So now I'm on a notification list to tell me when it comes back in stock, they still have my money, and I have to tell them to ship it to me when they should do this on their own when it comes in stock! It's not my job to tell them, the only reason I haven't got a refund is because some of the items are exclusive to ThinkGeek. Not happy in the slightest.

Edit: Almost 2 months on from ordering my Minecraft bundle, I have now just been notified that I cannot get one because restrictions have been placed on the product, meaning it can't be shipped out of the US or Canada; useless for me because I live in the UK. Terrible company, never purchasing from them again! Also took around a week to get any response from customer service. I would choose all 0 stars if I could, 1 star is generous in my opinion!

modified review This review was modified by TastesLikeChicken on July 24 2013 07:35:39 AM

"Apparently if you order and item that is in-stock on the website and then later, before it ships, it becomes out-of stock so that it won't be a part of your order anymore the entire order doesn't ship! Also, they won't tell you about it until you contact them. I waited 8 days for an order that was supposed to ship in 6 at the most. The customer service guy told me when I expressed my dissatisfaction with that whole system that I could call them to check on the order next time. So apparently it's my job to make sure that a website ships my orders, not theirs. It's an awful system and that was the first and last time I will be ordering from thinkgeek.com. SO BAD!"

modified review This review was modified by nimafu on June 29 2013 07:44:50 AM