Stores > ThinkGeek.com

Chance of future purchase: Rating 3.00/10 3.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 4.50/10 4.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10

"I had an interesting experience this afternoon with ThinkGeek. I was looking online for some gift ideas, and found a few I liked. Living in Orlando, I thought "hey, I'll just stop into the store they have here and see if they have what I want.". So I went in and noticed something. A statue I liked was $40 online, but in store it was $79.99. Double the price. Same for a Funko Pop figure i thought my wife would like. Online-$9.99. In store-$16.99. I called customer service and they said the store markup may be to compensate for shipping and handling. However, after doing some math, the statue online, combined with one day/overnight shipping, would still be $15 less than what they were selling it for in store. I asked an employee about it, and he did mutter that they'll match the price online. However, a customer would have to call them out on it before they match it. After looking around, I found numerous instances of the markups. So a word of advice. Although they only have one brick and mortar store thus far, do your research. If you plan on buying something from the store, find the price online first to make sure it matches up. Shady business if you ask me. To be fair, everyone i talked to was pleasant, and I've been a customer of theirs online for years. But this left a bitter taste in my mouth."

This review was modified by pgdate317 on November 16 2015 05:33:01 PM

"About two months after I upgraded to the iPhone 6 with Sprint at the Best Buy Mobile Store my screen cracked. I called the Apple Store to see what they would charge to fix it and they informed me it would be around $90. Then I remembered I purchased a Geek Squad protection plan through Best Buy. When I called and explained I needed my screen replaced the agent told me I was still covered under the 1 year Apple Warranty and that there would be no charge to replace my phone. They would overnight ship me a new phone and I would just have to mail my broken phone back unlocked. So that's what I did. A week later there was a $163 charge on my credit card from Best Buy/Geek Squad and an email stating my phone was NOT covered under the 1 year protection plan. I called Geek Squad to get to the bottom of what happened about 15 times. Each time I was transferred and rerouted around to different departments. A few times the call was "accidentally" disconnected. When I would rarely come across helpful agents, I asked them what it said in my file and they flat out admitted it said the agent I first spoke to made a note stating I wouldn't be charged and was covered. I've spoken to supervisors, the customer relations department and still nothing. No one has any answers or solutions to this error on their end. I do NOT recommend getting any kind of protection plan with them. Go directly to Apple. I wish I would have done that to begin with,. Geek Squad's customer service is atrocious!

"I ordered a comic book that cam destroyed. They refused to do anything about it, and threatened me that I will never be able to order again if i filed a complaint with my bank. Check out the convo:

Kayla (Listening)
Kayla: Thank you for contacting ThinkGeek! My name is Kayla. How can I help you today?
File attachment upload has started.
The file 20151021_165743.jpg (1270.13KB) was received.
ME: in ref to Order #6ccc5e14b the comic book i ordered came to me destroyed.
Kayla: Hi. I'm very sorry your comic book arrived bent. Unfortunately, this item isn't covered under our return/replacement policy. As noted on the product's page (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/htno/?pfm=Search&t=star%20wars%20variant ), all comics are shipped bagged and boarded, however cannot be guaranteed to arrive in mint or graded condition.
ME: Well thats ridiculous! Ok no problem I will file a complaint with my bank then.
Kayla: I do want to make you aware that if you file a chargeback with your bank, you will not be able to place orders with ThinkGeek in the future.
ME: Ok no problem. You guys should ship your products better, and stand behind your shipping. I paid for a garbage product and you will not fix it? No need to do business with you again.
Kayla: Thanks for chatting. Have a great day!

"I ordered two blind bags and not only were the two the exact same item one of them was bent and had this powder, which i assumed was pigment from the resin piece, and finger prints all over it."

This review was modified by Auzie13 on July 22 2015 01:45:16 PM

"Great webiste; great assistance!
I admit; i was skeptical at first due to all the bad reviews i've seen
Having had gone through a purchase that went swimmingly well (except for a cracked sword which is being replaced free of charge), I can honestly say i would recommend and send again. Love ThinkGeek! They had great customer service, and great prices. 10/10 would use.

"Terrible customer service. Received a broken coffee mug, all for $18.50. You must submit photos of the packing of the item, the way the box arrived, pictures of the damaged product, and wait for a return approval before anything can be done. Its days between customer service contacts. "

This review was modified by beener13 on March 12 2015 03:33:50 PM

"Glamorized by a fancy website and friendly auto emails, don't be fooled by this team of geeks. They specialize in ripping you off and cowering when called upon for it. If you're going to be a middle man for tech products, have some sort of relationship with your suppliers so that when a customer has a problem, both of you can work together to resolve it, rather than burden your customers with guilt for getting scammed."

This review was modified by Natestain on March 07 2015 09:13:46 AM

"I've ordered a few things off of thinkgeek and it's a hit or miss. Sometimes, the packages superspeed over here and everything is intact. Sometimes, thing are broken or missing or the quality is soso"

"I love ThinkGeek! I've been buying from them for about three years now - they are my go-to site for gifts for my boyfriend. The only time I've ever had a problem with one of their products was when a ForceFX Lightsaber arrived defective. I called their customer service line and the issue was solved amazingly quickly. The woman on the phone was kind and helpful - I just wanted the piece replaced, not a refund so she immediately submitted my order with free expedited shipping, plus they sent me a refund of my original shipping fees and duty charges PLUS I didn't have to send the original broken piece back. I was really impressed. I will be a long time customer. "

"ThinkGeek got a fan in me! My wife's birthday is at the end of the month. I just happened to order her a bouquet of kittens two days before Valentine's Day. I figured it would take a week or so for my order to get to me, which was fine. I didn't need it until 2/28.

Thing is, I ordered the bouquet on 2/11. They just delivered it to my office today, which is 2/13....two days later! And I did not do expedited shipping or anything.

People like to fly to the internet to post bad reviews and far too few take the time to post good ones. ThinkGeek did great by me. They just got a new regular customer!

"I can only echo the other horrible reviews in here. Terrible customer service, very unsatisfactory experience. Apparently expidited shipping means, well, not expidited. Customer service was not helpful, two day shipping seems to actually mean 7 business days and F-u very much for shopping with us."

This review was modified by Jpeg1971 on February 11 2015 09:48:09 PM

"I never received the item I ordered for a Christmas gift. Think Geek billed me. They acknowledge that they never sent the item and even sent me a gift certificate but they said they never billed me.
I'm trying to go as many sites as I can to warn other potential buyers. I wish I had read the reviews before I ordered.

This review was modified by oscar099 on February 08 2015 06:46:25 PM

"I unfortunately have no choice but to write this review. I absolutely love this online store and all that it offers its customers as far as merchandise; however their customer service skills are lacking in full. My boyfriend is a huge Dr. Who fan, as am I, so in November I ordered several items off of thinkgeek. I ordered a Tardis tie that was awesome and I ordered a BadWolf tee and 2 of the comic style Dr. Who posters- one being the Tardis and one being the Dalek. I wanted one of each. When I received my order the posters were rolled inside a cardboard tube so therefore I just went ahead and wrapped them for Christmas and put them under the tree. The rest of my order was correct so I did not even think to check the posters and get them out. It was my first time ordering from this company so I had no reason to believe the order would be wrong. Anyways on Christmas Eve I gave my boyfriend his presents but when he opened the posters I had unfortunately been given 2 of the same poster - the Dalek poster. If this had been my only issue I would not be making this complaint; however I tried getting in touch with thinkgeek via the phone and I sat on hold for over half an hour with no answer. I decided to call again later that week because I imagined everyone was calling right after Christmas with returns. The next call I waited 23 minutes with no luck. I finally decided that I would go about this by emailing ThinkGeek with my issue. It took over a week to get a response from them and in the email response it said I should be hearing from a representative within 24 hours and after a week had passed I decided I needed to further contact this company. The email the had sent me before about the representative said if there was any issues to reply to the email to which I did asking if there was anyone to help me with this poster issue. Weeks later still no response. This is insane. I wanted to order further items for Valentines Day because my boyfriend just loved stuff from the site; however I cannot spend further money on a company that cannot even get back with its customer who has tried every route to contact and correct the mistake from the first order I ever placed. Severely displeased and do not plan on doing business with them again. "

This review was modified by ksudar00 on February 04 2015 01:31:22 PM

"Placed a large order 11/28/14. When I inquired about its lack of shipping status 12/6/14, I was contacted on 12/13/14 and told the shipper had a problem (UPS shows the tracking number was generated, but no package ever entered their system) and they would reship the order, less all the items they had since sold out of. On 12/15/14 I get an automated reply that even more items cannot be shiped as they are sold out. The original order was for $205, they refund $106 and ship $81 worth of merchandise. ($18 mysteriously disappears). I ask for the remainder of my money back. On 12/31/14 I give them notice that they have 48 hours to respond (THEIR policy) or I will file a dispute with my credit card company. No response. On 2/3/15 i receive this reply:
:Hello Mark.

First, I would like to apologize for the extended delay in responding to your inquiry. We have been horribly backlogged with emails and we are working tirelessly to get to every customer, which is taking some time. We certainly acknowledge that the wait time for a response from us has been severely delayed due to the overwhelming back log we have been dealing with, and for that we sincerely apologize.

I am very sorry to hear that you have filed a dispute with your bank regarding the refund of this order, as it all could have been taken care of with no further action needed in that regard. Unfortunately, since the dispute has already been filed, you will no longer be able to order from ThinkGeek.com.

We are very sad to see you go in this way, as you have been a very valued customer with us for such a long time. We would have been more than happy to provide you with a positive resolution on this issue, and it is to your detriment that we were not able to provide that in a timely manner.

Despite the less than pleasant experience you have had with us over this issue, I hope you have an otherwise good day.

Jasmine S | Customer Service Supervisor"

THAT is how ThinkGeek operates. They mess up, and I am banned from ever ordering again. (Not that I would.)

"Think Geek sent a duplicate item. I have emailed them several times with no response, complained through their surveys, waited on hold for over 45 minutes, tried live chat but could not wait an hour to talk to them. There is no way to return unwanted items because they require a 'return number'. Although their stuff and indeed, their website seems cool, there are apparently no "geek monkeys" to service customers. "

Share ThinkGeek.com's store rating

ThinkGeek.com is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThinkGeek.com is not a merchant member
ThinkGeek.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!