• Rating 0.00/10 1 reviews

The Waterbed Doctor is not a merchant member
    The Waterbed Doctor does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • The Waterbed Doctor contact information

"I purchased a Genesis waterbed mattress from The Waterbed Doctor in February, 2008. It came with a heater and temperature control, a liner and fill kit. It arrived within the stated 10 days - but not without problems.

First, the mattress was delivered in a box that looked like it had been shipped via Beirut - several large holes that went all the way through. When the box was empty, you could see daylight through three sides. I spoke with the owner of the company who seemed more interested in getting off the phone than in supporting his product. I explained the situation and offered to send photos of the box, but he wasn’t interested. His only comment was, “It’ll be fine. Those mattresses are tough.”

Once unpacked, there were no obvious defects in the mattress. The liner, however, was torn in two places. Rather than beat my head against that wall again, I replaced it out of my own pocket. I also bought a mattress repair kit which I believe was supposed to be included but was not (fingers crossed that I won’t need it).

After everything was set up, I found the temperature control to be hot to the touch. I called the company and was told that the device was not supposed to be hot. Options offered were: 1.) Return it - thus rendering my bed too cold to sleep on - for possible replacement. There was no guaranty they would replace it and no estimate of the time it would take for that determination. I was told that I could be with without a bed for weeks or even months. 2.) Buy another control unit (for about $70.00). Once it arrived, I could return the original. They would then refund the price paid if they found it to be defective. Of course, they could claim that there was nothing wrong with it, in which case, I would own two of them. Conversations with them to this point did nothing to instill confidence that this would not occur.

But here’s the best part: I was told that there would be a $15.00 “warranty service charge” for any of the options mentioned.

Now $15.00 is not a lot of money. But when a reputable company ships an obviously defective part – especially one that, by overheating, demonstrates a significant danger -- they replace it. They do so quickly; they do so without putting the customer out; and they do so with no additional cost to "service the warranty" (and don’t even get me started on that). Such tactics surround the company with the odor of day-old fish.

There are many outlets for waterbeds on the Internet. If I had it to do again, I would buy from someone – anyone -- other than The Waterbed Doctor.

modified review This review was modified by AJ1964 on June 11 2008 06:49:29 AM