The Computer Center Reviews - thecomputercenter.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

Rating 6.79/10 7 reviews

The Computer Center is not a merchant member
The Computer Center does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!

" I ordered a 160GB 7200 RPM Maxtor Drive from the Computer Center on May 1st. I chose UPS ground. It arrived on May 11th. The price was exactly what was advertised on pricewatch. No problems.. "

"Merchandise was as described (two SATA HDs), price was lowest on the Internet, delivery was about a week -- just a little slow (free shipping, ground) but adequate for free."

Rating 8/104/5

"Overall, a good experience dealing with the computer center. Only complaint would be for them to add more info in product descrption. I thought I was buying a retail box, but was actually OEM. No big deal looking back at other retail prices, but not exactly what I was thinking. Shipping was great, didn't even get a chance to track it, it was delivered so quick. Great price, great product."

Buffalo, NY

" I like to experiment with differnet vendors from time to time in my ongoing effort to compare price, quality, delivery and support. Ordered a 60GB MAXTOR HD from The Computer Center that I had gleaned on Pricewatch. Received package promptly, but due to an unforseen personal tragedy, my computer repair sideline was put on hold for several months, and the drive sat in inventory. Upon finally opening the box in January, lo and behold, it contained a paltry 428 MB *SEAGATE* drive!

The customer service department fellow was courteous and I think honestly tried to make it right, but because the shipped item # didn't match the shipping record, he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I abhor venting on powerless front-line canon fodder like him and resigned myself to eating the loss. In my experience, escalation of intractable problems like these is an exercise in frustration.

I suspect that either the shipping department is staffed by overstressed incompetents or there is poor oversight with malicious comedians operating down there. In any case, I wouldn't recommend these folks unless they get their act together.

I give The Computer Center a BIG TWO THUMBS DOWN rating . . .

If I had known about RESELLER RATINGS a long time ago, I would have saved myself a lot of money by making an informed assessment before blindly experimenting with unproven vendors. So goes the world . . . hindsight is always 20/20. :-(

Rating 8/104/5

"Ordered 5 hard drives at approx $10 less than anyone else. Their page said instock, but after failing to get any sort of shipment verification after 3 days, I send an email that went unanswered. Finally on 12/4 I called (toll#) to ask status of order and was told the units 'just came in' and order would be shipped. Still no sort of email was sent, so the following day I called again and was given a tracking number. A few days later my package arrived and was as advertised and packed well.

So, this company seems reasonably legitemate, but they need to improve their e-commerce system to update you on the status of your order like most other vendors do.

Rating 8/104/5

"I ordered from The Computer Center before I read the reviews on this site. After reading the reviews I became worried so I sent them some emails (which I never got a reply to) and ended up calling them.

My advice to you: Call this company, don't use email. They were very helpfull over the phone and informed me that one item I ordered was out of stock which is why my order was delayed. They were able to tell me when the item was coming in, so I called them back on that day and the item really did come in and my order had been shipped out. I expect to receive it in the next day or so and I'll update this if there are any surprises.

So call them to check on your order, forget about email.

modified review This review was modified by sshockey on December 11 2003 07:12:09 PM
Rating 6/103/5

"Ordered 2 Maxtor 80 gb 7200 rpm SATA drives on Nov.28,2003 and still as of Dec.3,2003 haven't received any confirmation of my order or order being shipped. I e-mailed the company on Dec.2,2003 about the status of my order and still haven't gotten a reply. My credit card was billed for the full amount on Nov.28,2003. Still waiting for a response from the company.
Update 12-8-03
Finally got a hold of customer service and was told that the drive that I had ordered was out of stock , but they had just received a new shipment and it was being shipped that day.
Update 12-9-03
I finally received my order that was placed on 11-28-03. The hard drives were well packaged and not damaged. I installed them and they work quite well.
Update 12-10-03
Received shipping notification by e-mail that my order was being shipped and gave the tracking number which was a bit late. I think the company needs to work on customer service to improve their status - it leaves a lot to be desired.

modified review This review was modified by avi8tor on December 13 2003 07:12:06 PM