• The Book Deposi

• Contact: help@support.bookdepository.com

Product & services pricing Rating 7.00/10 7.00/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 5.50/10 5.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 6.50/10 6.50/10

"I ordered 1 book from this site because of it's free delivery. I'm very satisfied because of the affordable price they offer and their customer service is very friendly. I live in Malaysia and my book arrived in about 1 month. I will purchase again from this site. Very happy customer. Thank you bookdepository.com!"

This review was modified by RLCK on August 25 2015 08:19:16 PM

"I bought several books on bookdepository.com (about 5 or 6 times) and I must say I am very satisfied. The books are shipped in the time announced, however, it is possible that your order arrive with a few days of delay if your local delivery office is not efficient enough; for example, in Brazil it might take 10-15 business days after date of dispatch. Certainly, this is not a seller's lack."

This review was modified by lezambranof on August 18 2015 02:47:24 PM

"Not one book in my order arrived. A number of them are for my masters studies - which are underway. The Book Depository will not respond to my emails asking how the matter will be resolved. Do I wait for a replacement order? Or do I order the editions from a more reliable company and secure a refund?"

"We purchase our Spanish class text books, regularly in quantity for our Spanish school in NYC, and we get them on time each time, generally within 7 days as advertised. Ele Actual series. So far so good. It'd be 5 stars if the price wasn't a bit higher than other places. "

This review was modified by learnspanishnewyork on August 06 2015 03:32:34 AM

"I'm still waiting for my books. It's been more than 10 days. I was promised to get the books within 7-10 business days. Most reviews I read about book depository is about their delivery. There's no possible way the courier service mess things up this frequent. They way the customer service handle this was too smooth. As if this happens a lot. Not going to recommend this website in the near future."

"The only problem I've ever had with them is that shipping can take for ever, which is understandable, since they're UK-based, and I live on the west coast of America. I order a lot from them, and have been for months."

This review was modified by sydneylive on February 25 2015 05:39:43 PM

"Would never order from them again. They screwed up BOTH my orders. Cancelled one of my uni textbooks which was $113 and still waiting on the refund.
On the second order they sent me TWO copies of the same book, and didn't send me the more expensive different cover art version, but charged me for it.
Still waiting on a $16.38 refund for this also.
Seriously, if you live in Australia, stick to Angus & Robertson or Booktopia. Don't waste your time and money with these morons.

This review was modified by PrincessMiaow on February 04 2015 04:02:06 PM

"I'm very happy with the Book Depository service. I've made two orders so far and had no trouble with none of them. Love the free worldwide shipping and the amazing discounts they have all the time. The books take around 3 weeks to arrive, but I don't mind with that, after all it's free delivery! "

This review was modified by afonso_elisabete on January 20 2015 05:16:49 PM

"I read all the negative reviews AFTER I had placed my order and was instantly regretful.

However, I placed my order for a book I couldn't source locally or through any online channel in North America (100 bullets deluxe book 4) on January 13 and it was in my mailbox in Canada on January 19. The book is in perfect condition and I paid well under the cover price.

I'm thrilled with the transaction and will use them again.

This review was modified by Randomletters on January 19 2015 09:21:38 AM

"Do not do business with this company!! I ordered from them and they emailed me back and said there was a problem with my credit card and the order was cancelled. They charged my credit card anyway and never sent the book I ordered and would not credit the money back to my credit card. I finally disputed it with the credit card company and got a refund. It took 6 weeks and 7 or 8 emails to clear this up."

This review was modified by Atari432 on December 31 2014 06:18:02 AM

"So you want your book on time? Don't buy it here! I have been waiting for a book ordered 12/1/14 and still no book. I contacted the customer service rep for help and this was his reply. Sam Peacock, Dec 16:
Hi Orders are shipped by Royal Mail priority airmail and will be delivered by your local mail network . I'm afraid as we ship to over 80 countries we do not have a list of every single postal sorting office nor their contact details. The details will be available via an internet search engine . Please check under your name and address with the post office who deliver your mail. I'm afraid we do not have tracking numbers as your items were sent via our free standard delivery method. Kind Regards , Sam Peacock, Customer Advisor. So if you want your book on time this is what you can expect from The Book Depository! You do the math on the days! Today is 12/18/14

"Unimpressed. They took longer to dispatch the books than they promised on the website, and it has been nearly a week over one of the expected delivery dates and no sign of my books. They're meant to be Christmas presents but it seems increasingly unlikely they'll ever arrive. All customer service keep saying is 'wait another day'. Oh great. It's got to the point where if I wanted to order now via Amazon I'd need to use their 'global express delivery' and would all cost twice as much. Don't save a few dollars on the Amazon prices; just use them and know that if you have a problem, at least they'll move heaven and earth to sort it out. Just 'waiting it out' isn't a solution. Fed up with BookDepository; won't be ordering from them again. Thanks for messing up Christmas gifts, guys. "

This review was modified by jasa_uk on December 09 2014 08:19:01 PM

"Given Amazon.co.uk stopped their free shipping policy for my country, The Book Depository was until now the cheapest mean I found to buy books (at least a selected few that I enjoy).

I bought 4 books so far. 2 came in perfect condition but the other 2 had some damage in the covers (probably due to the way they were shipped). However, the damages are small and not very visible.

The books took, on average, about 2 weeks to arrive, which is acceptable given the low cost of the service.

I am very pleased with the service from The Book Depository and will continue to buy from them in the future!

This review was modified by ViperIV on December 01 2014 04:22:49 AM

"Lies lies lies about them. They sending items to my country when nobody even think about that.
Best site for books etc...
I ordered once, and shipping delay was too big. I get another book gratis (free).
After their last changes to the website, prices are not lowest on the web, but still competitive.
Customer service is fast and honest, flexible to solve problems!
And no, i didn't asked by BD to rate them!

This review was modified by Antoaneta72 on November 27 2014 02:13:19 PM

"As a research student, I have been purchasing from The Book Depository for a couple of years now. In that time I have purchased hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of goods from them. Every now and then I'd get a misprinted or damaged book, which I figured was fair enough considering their competitive prices. If the book was still legible, I wouldn't worry. If the error was bad enough to warrant a replacement, then I'd wait while they sent me out a new one.

Finally, a couple of months ago, when I received two of three books with damage, I decided to call them up on it. This time the damage wasn't bad enough that I couldn't use the books, only sufficient to make me wonder why I was paying full price for damaged goods. In my claim I mentioned that I wasn't interested in a replacement (their standard procedure), as it'd be a waste of paper, I'd have to wait for it to be shipped out, and in the end I'd be stuck with a couple of useless paperweights. Their service rep, a Mr. M*****d M***r, completely ignored my request, and responded by saying that they'd send out replacements. Feeling cheated, I reiterated my previous claim for a partial refund -- I was happy to only be refunded for the cost of one of the two damaged books. Mr. M***r immediately replied by saying that he'd cancelled the replacements and issued a refund for the single book. I figured that was satisfactory.

A couple of weeks flew by, and while I was doing some accounting I remembered the refund that was promised to me. I looked over my transaction history and it was no where to be seen. Furious, I contacted The Book Depository, and they told me that they'd processed it, but AbeBooks, through whom I'd placed the order, had not confirmed it. ("We've done it on our end!") This was an outright lie: to make sure that I wasn't cheated (again), I contacted AbeBooks, who said that they'd only just received the info for the refund on that day -- not a couple of weeks prior. In the end, after hours of accounting and drafting whiny emails, I was able to secure my $15 refund. Not at all worth my time.

Following the whole debacle, figuring that perhaps I'd just been unlucky enough to get a bad service rep, I decided to purchase a few more books from The Book Depository. Big mistake. In a single order of two books, both arrived with damage (one was severe, the spine had separated at the top). I thought "here we go...", and contacted them again. Over a week has elapsed and I have not received a reply. Now I'm left with damaged goods, and I can't help but wonder whether or not the damage was intentional, and what exactly it was that I did that was so horrible that I am no longer entitled to customer service -- not even a reply. Is it their policy to blacklist a customer who calls them out for neglecting to process a refund that they promised? Because that's exactly what happened.

I will not be ordering from The Book Depository again. Amazon also has competitive prices, sometimes a little bit more, but their customer service is fantastic -- well worth it in the long run. I have not enjoyed writing this long diatribe, but I figure that somebody has to warn other consumers about such a vindictive and incompetent service.

(I should specify that all of my problems encountered with the Book Depository were with services provided through their UK branch. I've seldom used their US service, but when I have, the packaging has been much better -- cardboard as compared to a thin satchel -- and I have not needed to contact their service team.)

This review was modified by CliveBear on November 17 2014 04:04:21 PM

Share The Book Depository / BookDepository.co.uk's store rating

The Book Depository / BookDepository.co.uk is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

The Book Depository / BookDepository.co.uk is not a merchant member
The Book Depository / BookDepository.co.uk does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!