• Rating 4.00/10 73 reviews

The Book Depository / BookDepository.co.uk is not a merchant member
    The Book Depository / BookDepository.co.uk does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • The Book Depository / BookDepository.co.uk contact information

• Contact: help@support.bookdepository.com

Product & services pricing Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10

"DO NOT purchase anything from the BookDepository.com UNLESS you want to pay additional Foreign Services Charges from your credit card company.

They will charge your card overseas (A little fact they forget to mention on their website), and your credit card will charge you a fee.

In the end, the book that I thought I was getting cheap, turned out to be more expensive than the one I could have bought off Amazon.

AVOID unless you want to pay hidden fees!

modified review This review was modified by SarahW37 on December 05 2013 08:30:02 AM

"After not being able to find the required Thermodynamics text in hardback locally, I ordered it from The Book Depository. The textbook that came was actually a softcover, much to my chagrin. After a few emails back and forth it ws clear that their description from the publisher was wrong. They corrected this by issuing me a full refund for the book. They even let me keep the book.

The book came quickly to me in the US - I was prepared to wait several weeks and it came in less than one. I would buy from them again.

"Unsatisfied and extremely disappointed with customer service. I ordered a book and my account was immediately charged; I have a confirmation printout of the order, but never received a confirmation email so I have no order number. When I tried to track the order, I'm told no order history so I have no idea if the book has shipped (but I have been charged for it). I have sent 3 emails and have never received a response. I just want to know if it's in route as class starts in a day and I have no idea if I'll ever receive this book. Will never buy from them again. And will dispute my charge as I need to purchase an electronic copy elsewhere now."

"I ordered a book in this website and it arrived ok. After that I ordered another 3 books and none of them arrived after I have been waiting for 15 working days. They have no idea where are the books, what happened to them, and their customer service is terrible. They offered to send me a replacement or refund me. How can I wait another 15 workings days to find out if the book will arrive or not? They will replace my money, but I already lost like 20 working days that I could have bought these books and study. They are not trustful at all."

modified review This review was modified by Ktmadureira on May 12 2013 04:58:16 PM

"I ordered 4 books for my grandaughter who lives in Korea. I live in Canada and I loved the idea of saving on shipping. I also purchased a book in Canada and mailed it to Korea at a ridiculously high shipping rate. The books I ordered from the book depository all arrived well before the book I sent. In fact at this point it has not arrived at all. Thank you book depository your service is fabulous and I will order again."

modified review This review was modified by canadiangramma on May 07 2013 03:47:27 PM

"For some idiotic reason this is my THIRD SHOT at this review.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE LIKE THE PLAGUE!

They have burned me several times. I will not knock on their door again.

"The Book Depository is awful store .

March 20th, morning , I ordered two books but while waiting for showing up order conformation site, something wrong happened ...... over 5 minutes I waited but finally my PC was frozen. Later I ordered again.

I was afraid that I might order same books twice and asked customer support to make sure and cancel one order if there are double orders. Customer support just sent cancelation notification about order BDA-010-04761169689 and never mentioned another order BDA-809-93761266545 active.

I checked my order history and knew there was BDA-010-04761169689 cancelled. Still now BDA-809-93761266545 has nat came up in my order history,

Later I ordered same books at Amazon com (I live in California , USA).

Next morning, on 21th, I got notification about order BDA-809-93761266545 and they said to me that ''Nineteenth fashion in detail' was dispatched (shipped ) and I could not cancel this ... I have to receive it and return it from SF USA to England. After they receive this , they will refund book fee on my credit card . Also they don't pay returning cost from SF, USA to England.

Many times I asked why this happened, why my order history can not show up order BDA-809-93761266545, why I need to pay returning cost from USA to England even though I have no way to know order BDA-809-93761266545, Customer support just said that they can not assist this case any more.

Also I read another review, same double order happened and he returned one book from Australia to England, it past 6 months, they continued to say ''they have not received it yet and they can not refund him". Finally he gave up collecting refund !!

I am so afraid that same case will happen and I can not get refund about book at all.

I am still thinking that book Depository must pay refund book and returning cost from USA to England.

Customer support and this Book Depository was so awful !!

Later I checked my order history but

"I've ordered two books from there before. The first one I ordered came within 1-2 weeks of ordering it and the other one came in about three weeks. I like how everything on there is free shipping, so I'd probably buy from there again."

modified review This review was modified by peetamellark on March 20 2013 05:24:36 PM

"Dreadful. I ordered a book which was "usually despatched within 24 hours". It was not, and the company did not bother to inform me until 5 days later after I emailed them. At which point, they told me there had been a problem sourcing the book, and still did not tell me when it would be sent to me. I had ordered it in advance of the Christmas last order deadline, so I asked if they could send it by special delivery so that it would arrive in time. They replied to say no they could not, and they still could not tell me when it would be sent. To add insult to injury, they offered me a 10% discount off my NEXT purchase. Well that isn't going to happen, I will never use the company again.

To put this in context, when another company could not send an item on time, they not only sent it by 24 hour delivery but also gave me a £5 discount off the price of the item AND a £5 voucher for future use. That's customer service. The Book Depository should learn from this - their inflexibility was dreadful. Because they took so long to inform me of the delay, I had to order the item on 24 hour delivery from Amazon at my own expense.

"I ordered a book in March and now, in November, I did not received it, and when I ask the staff about it, they say they could not assist me. I don't like the customer service of this site, and I agree with all the comments below that say that, besides being managed by Amazon, it is not good. I am disappointed."

"I bought a book about a month ago and have not received it. I am extremely disappointed as this is the first time I bought from them and I went out on a limb to get this book I have been dying to get. The staff do not want to know about it either, I have emailed them multiple times and have had no reply which is very frustrating ! All in all not worth it. I warn you to not buy from this site even though it does seem cheap. You pay for what you get, and in my case it was nothing"

Mariana1788's Avatar
Adelaide, South Australia

"I've ordered a number of books through the Book Depository and all I can say is I LOVE IT!
The books are the cheapest you'll ever find, and the delivery is always FREE. I saved about $250 on textbooks just because I was able to find them on this site.
The delivery turnaround to Australia is usually a few weeks but sometimes less. I have always had a smooth process with them and have recommended them to many friends. I will always continue to use them and to always look there first before purchasing any books. Definitely my favourite online bookstore.

"SLOWWWWW SHIPPPPIIIINNGGG.

Ordered a sketchbook almost 48 hours ago and it's still "processing." It was cheaper than anywhere else but I should have ordered it on Amazon and paid a little extra to get it to me much faster.

Now I realize how valuable Amazon is with fast turnarounds for orders. This is ridiculous.

"Their price for a US-published book delivered to the US was less than anyone else, so I ordered it. They shipped three days later, and the book arrived three days after that. They sent the correct book and it was in new condition. Excellent service and I am entirely satisfied. "

"I have used the Book Depository twice to get music books that are only available in the UK. Prior to the BD, I used to look for the best price on ebay, but ended up paying alot for shipping. I found the BD prices lower than what was found on Ebay and you can't beat the FREE shipping to the US. The first order took about 2 weeks to arrive, but the second order was significantly faster, arriving in 1 week. Since I wasn't in a rush, the free shipping works for me.

Since I used Paypal to pay for the purchases, I didn't get hit with any additional fees for international transactions....