• Contact: help@support.bookdepository.com

Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.36/10 1.36/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.44/10 3.44/10

"BUYER BEWARE: Book was never sent to me and they apparently have zero shipping details for me to query where it could be. Their customer service have told me that if the book doesn't arrive then I'll be the one out of money.

Simply put: run the risk of them shipping it to you with the expectation that if it gets lost then you're out of the money. I've used them before and this is the first issue I've had so I guess 9 out of 10 times you probably won't lose your money. Those are pretty good odds in the gambling world....right?

modified review This review was modified by snick347 on September 29 2014 08:22:55 PM

"Ordered three items. The first arrived but it was wrong. Five days of automated customer "service" emails asking me to supply ISBN numbers (emails continuing even after I did their job for them and supplied the numbers).

Found the only way to get things done was to complain on TrustPilot.

Refunded for the incorrect item and assured that the other two had been dispatched on the same day. One arrived after two days, still waiting for the other after seven.

Have been fully refunded on the full order (after TrustPilot) but just the worst company I have ever dealt with. Absolutely zero customer service and mistake after mistake.

DO NOT use this company. They are truly terrible.

modified review This review was modified by MRSRTODD on September 23 2014 10:26:51 PM

The Book Depository / BookDepository.co.uk User

"Great site!
I have been ordering books from this site for a couple of years now. and have only had one problem that was resolved.

I ordered the "Hunger Games" trilogy about a year ago. The third book was misprinted ( Obviously not their fault ) . After i contacted them by email about the issue they refunded my money and sent another copy of the books free of charge.

My books always arrive on the tenth day after i order them which is great, and the prices are lower than anywhere else.

very happy with their service.

The Book Depository / BookDepository.co.uk User

"This is the worst place to place an order, not only did wait for 12 days but I didn't even get the dang textbook I ordered! Their excuse? That the textbook was unavailable for the suppliers. Why didn't they say anything from the beginning, if I wouldn't have asked myself then who knows how long it would of taken for me to hear from them. They just refunded me the money without asking if that's what I wanted. I wasted my time with they crappy website. Its horrible, don't waste your time!!!"

"As a school librarian in Australia, I have been happily using The Book Depository for a number of years. Books would arrive withing two weeks, which is often quicker than book suppliers elsewhere in Australia. My only complaint is with my most recent order. Usually I make orders of anywhere between one and a dozen or so books at a time. These would typically arrive in individual parcels. Even larger orders were usually shipped in small batches. I made the mistake of ordering over a $1000 in one order, not worrying about import duties, as books usually are usually sent in small consignments.

Big mistake. Book Depository didn't do what it normally does and sent it all as one shipment. My books are now being held for ransom by our extortionist government in a warehouse somewhere until I pay them $300.

How much trouble would it have been for this company to put the interests of a previously loyal customer ahead of its own convenience and send the order as shipments below $1000 in value so as not to incur import duties. Thanks Book Depository. Well done.

I contacted them to complain and their only curt response was to draw my attention to their small print recommendation to keep orders below $1000 and that they were not liable.

No doubt they will continue to send consequent orders as multiple shipments to mock me.

Not only am I totally dissatisfied with their lack of thoughtfulness and change of shipment strategy, but with their indifference to my emails.

Overall satisfaction: Very disappointed!

modified review This review was modified by whmumfrey on August 18 2014 05:24:10 PM

"Avoid them/ If you live in the US you are lucky- Amazon is a million miles cheaper even with their shipping.
They always say they have such 'generous' discounts but they keep changing the 'RRP'
like a week ago when I ordered a book and the RRP was ~$40 and with a 10% discount of 4
Now the RRP is listed as ~$55 and they give a 10% discount of $5.50
Their bibliographical info is always wrong, customer service is a shambles, and ALWAYS check the prices offered on other sites- this site changes the reserve price which conflicts with what I have seen on the other wise

modified review This review was modified by bibli on August 01 2014 07:23:33 PM

"Possibly the worst customer service ever!

Will never order from them again. They keep sending the same automated response when I email to say I have not received goods.

I am guessing that their complaints dept. is located somewhere in India and they really don't give a hoot about the customer.

Avoid this company like the plague.

modified review This review was modified by Cartwheel on July 03 2014 12:50:33 AM

"That is the worst customer service I ever had. 2 orders placed and 2 orders cancelled without any notification even I sent an email after the 1st purchase and somebody told me that I can place another order because my order failed their routine payment security checks. At least if my order has been cancelled they have to send me an email. Wasted my time with this f***** site, I don't even know if they could be a scam."

modified review This review was modified by jorgenthau on June 26 2014 08:28:24 AM

"I am totaly disgusted with The Book Depository. They sent me a Damaged DVD then refused to pay for return shipping costs when their website says they are responsible for return postage if they send an item that is faulty. "

modified review This review was modified by kiwinz777 on June 26 2014 03:23:22 AM

"BEST bookseller on the net ...before AMAZON ACQUIRED it!

Bookdepository WAS THE BEST bookseller on the net:
- great customer service
- cheaper than amazon!
- when a book I ordered was damaged, they simply sent me a new one and told me to keep the damaged copy (wow)
- awesome gimmicks (useful bookmarks as little present in every shipping)
- great selection of books
- good and reliable shipping
- awesome events with great price discount (back to school discount, summer discount, 25% discount on books not yet released,...)
...

When AMAZON acquired this company, it went downhill.

If I were amazon and would like to destroy my competitor (that HAD better prices and service) I would have bought Bookdepository, too.

- prices got more expensive
- less discount events ... and not as great discounts
- shipping is late
- gimmicks are not given anymore (book marks)
...

Thanks amazon.

"I am very satisfied with the Book depository. I order most of my books through them. They have an extensive choice in multiple languages and are cheaper than online shops available in Australia. Being DownUnder means that free postage is important and I am don't expect my book to turn up the next day, I feel they are actually faster than other overseas online providers. I also use them to ship orders for gifts to the french side of the channel."

modified review This review was modified by VeroniqueCL on May 23 2014 01:11:54 PM

"I am totally disgusted with The Book Depository. I order my book on 8th April and they said that they despatched it on 10th April, but till today I have not received my book. I sent a number of emails to their customer service person Jackie Crilly, but she just kept on asking me to wait. My daughter's exams were nearing and she needed this book. They were unhelpful and now they have not got in touch to let me know where my book is. I feel they are a hoax and do not trust them anymore."

modified review This review was modified by Cab17 on May 05 2014 09:47:27 PM

"DO NOT purchase anything from the BookDepository.com UNLESS you want to pay additional Foreign Services Charges from your credit card company.

They will charge your card overseas (A little fact they forget to mention on their website), and your credit card will charge you a fee.

In the end, the book that I thought I was getting cheap, turned out to be more expensive than the one I could have bought off Amazon.

AVOID unless you want to pay hidden fees!

modified review This review was modified by SarahW37 on December 05 2013 08:30:02 AM

"I saw a Stanley Gibbons Commonwealth Stamp Catalogue for 2014 offered at a 24% discount on the full price of 82.50. I emailed them to see if they actually had it in stock as Stanley Gibbons publishers are out of stock at the moment. When I checked the site again a few hours later the discount had dropped to 19%. I then got an email asking me for the ISBN number. I got the number off their own site and emailed it in the morning of the 22nd October. By 6.30 pm I had received no reply to my email. I checked the site again and guess what the book was offered at full price. So no stars from me."

modified review This review was modified by dap88eht on October 22 2013 10:47:00 AM

"After not being able to find the required Thermodynamics text in hardback locally, I ordered it from The Book Depository. The textbook that came was actually a softcover, much to my chagrin. After a few emails back and forth it ws clear that their description from the publisher was wrong. They corrected this by issuing me a full refund for the book. They even let me keep the book.

The book came quickly to me in the US - I was prepared to wait several weeks and it came in less than one. I would buy from them again.

The Book Depository / BookDepository.co.uk is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

The Book Depository / BookDepository.co.uk is not a merchant member
The Book Depository / BookDepository.co.uk does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!