• The Antenna Far

Product & services pricing Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10

"Worst possible customer service. Impossible to reach via phone and will make good on defective merchandise. I purchased several pieces of Belden 9913f coax with new connectors, shrink sleeve and installation. When the first connector fell off in my hand I checked the others and found the only thing holding the connectors on was the shrink sleeve. The shield on every piece was not soldered and the center conductor was not soldered either. I contacted John Holbrook the owner and told him how displeased I was with his performance and was told to fix the problem myself. Now I have to remove all my antennas from the tower and check each piece and connector. This is allot of unnecessary work. I spent over $550 dollars with The Antenna Farm bad bad bad"

This review was modified by bigdogus55 on April 30 2015 04:29:19 PM

"I contacted The Antenna Farm because I needed to have some custom car satellite radio antenna wiring done. I asked them if they would be able to take the wiring I supplied to them and install specific connectors (SMA ones) to them. They replied that they could do that. So I mailed to them the wiring (rg174 coax cable assemblies --- not the most common coax cable, but not rare), and we exchanged emails and phone calls on what I wanted done. It was a rush order, for which I was paying a premium, and I said I needed it by a certain date. That date came and went with no sign of the package. I sent a couple of emails asking for the tracking number. Finally I said I needed the parcel or I would contest the charge. Only at that point did he provide the tracking number, also informing me that he did not want to do business with me again. No problem there. I finally tracked the package down, and to The Antenna Farm's credit, the delay had been UPS's fault entirely. Still when I opened the package and checked the newly installed connectors, I saw that all five out of five were CRAP because whatever genius assembled these did not solder them together at all. I've never seen anything like this before. Anyone who has worked with coax connectors knows you have to solder on the center tip, and that simply wasn't done here, so that as soon as connectors were coupled and uncoupled, the center tips came out completely. These are worthless, and I have to start all over again.

Based on what I've seen on this site, I would guess that if what you want is an off-the-shelf item that The Antenna Farm sells, things may work out fine. My experience suggests you should be careful if you want a custom order, and do NOT expect the owner to be receptive or helpful if you have any problems with the order. He seems to interpret a customer complaint as a personal attack and gets way too defensive and hostile. Really if you can do business with them while avoiding interacting with him, that would probably work out best.

This review was modified by tralfaz62 on March 02 2015 07:15:31 PM

"I was surprised to see the rating Antenna Farm has on here. I have made at least 6 purchases from them over the last 2-3 years, to include UHF handhelds and mobile radios and have never had a single issue. I have always got a brand new product, as described, at a good price with fast shipping. One time I received a radio with incorrect programming (based on bad info I provided) and they fixed it quickly. I will continue to order from them without hesitation. "

"the collection is good. i like it very much"

This review was modified by servocean23 on June 08 2014 08:19:45 AM

"16 phone calls - no answer at any time.
3 emails - no replies

This review was modified by Amused63 on June 07 2014 11:31:29 AM

"I've placed two separate orders recently with these folks and no problems. Great prices, fast and cheap shipping. Exceeded my expectations."

This review was modified by finaloption on September 23 2013 07:33:45 PM

"Expect the worst kind of customer service when there are disagreements with the owner, John Holbrook:

I ordered $32 worth of connectors (weight 6 oz) and accepted the flat shipping of $9.95, but with a request to switch to USPS, if that would be quicker. I did not ask for a refund of overpaid money. John at TAF acknowledged to look into it and he had confirmed that all parts are in stock. The order was placed on 3/19 at 10 am.

Tracking information told me that the shipment was accepted by USPS 36 hours later, so we already lost one day. To add insult to injury, he shipped it 1st class! It took three more days to arrive. I would have expected Priority Mail and shipping same business day for goods that are in stock.

When I asked him why he was shipping it snail mail when I had requested otherwise, and whether I might get a refund as a make-good, I received the rudest and most unethical response:

...that nobody forced me to order from him, and that I agreed to the price when I ordered. No comment on why he chose the cheapest (for him) and slowest shipping method, when I had explicitly requested otherwise.
Then he poked me in the eye saying that I am "responsible for my own actions, something that is completely forgotten about in today's "cradle to grave"[sic] entitlement mentality."

Oh, and also that, for the sake of everyone around me, I should grow up and at least try to act responsible.

Your world view and your business ethics suck, Mr. Holbrook!

PS: On his website he promises: "Enjoy low shipping rates as low as $1 & NEVER pay more than $9.95 shipping no matter how large the order!" Not sure how this works, and certainly not retroactively. Mea culpa.

This review was modified by notashill on March 29 2013 02:43:12 PM

"I placed an order on Wednesday November 7, 2012 for three Vertex radios, a speaker mic, and programming software/cable. The order shipped the same day and was received on Monday November 12th via UPS. When I received the order everything was as described. I had an excellent experience and will certainly order from The Antenna Farm again. I have already recommended this merchant to several people. "

"I needed to place an Urgent Order and was having trouble placing it on the web. I contacted the Antenna farm, and NO ONE EVER ANSWER, which was a big Red Flag, but went against my instinct.

The voice mail instructed to email and place "NEED TO PLACE AN ORDER" on the subject line and will be called back within minutes, which was a complete lie.
I emailed more than you can think of, and had repeatedly mentioned URGENT

No Call back, and a our production line is down.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY, in fact I don't know and wonder how they stay in business.

If anything goes Wrong with the parts you purchase from them.. Good luck getting them on the phone or have them pay attention to you..

"I purchased several Icom Business Band radios from The Antenna Farm as well as a programming CD and a programming cable. The software indicated the radios weren't responding to attempted programming to I tried calling The Antenna Farm. I couldn't ever get them to answer so I e-mailed. That began a weeks-long e-mail correspondence that didn't end very nicely and I certainly didn't get anything resolved. John Holbrook, the owner, is who I was talking with in the e-mails. He wouldn't not answer specific, repeated questions. The answers he did give were vague. When pressed to resolve my the problem he became rude. My guess is that he doesn't know how to resolve the problem and instead of admitting that he replies with vague, waste-your-time e-mails hoping the customer will give up and go away. I did check with the Better Business Bureau and The Antenna Farm has the lowest possible rating, F.

I think the Icom radios I bought are fine. The is a compatibility issue with the cable or software he sold me. His customer service/tech support is the worst I've ever encountered.

"I recently purchased an antenna in Ebay but i had a really bad experience with this asshole called John...He did not answer any eamil i sent him .. eventually i ended up buying an antenna from him but this cocksucker sent me the wrong one.. After i opened a dispute with Ebay he started sending me nasty emails .... DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS FUCKER...."

"I was a bit apprehensive about ordering from The Antenna Farm after reading some of the negative reviews around the internet. That said, after having a positive experience, I thought it only fair to add my voice to the positive reviews that are _also_ posted around.

I can't say that I had a 100% positive experience, but I did get exactly what I ordered in a timely manner and the pricing is unbeatable.

I placed my order for a radio and accessories on Tuesday, 3/27/2012 and received it on Thursday 4/5/2012, a bit over a week later. That included a brief backorder for the radio.

After placing the order, I didn't hear anything from The Antenna Farm until I emailed them on Friday, 3/30/2012, to check when it would ship. John responded on Monday, 4/2/2012, that I should have received a backorder notice and that it would ship that week. It shipped Tuesday and arrived Thursday (Bozeman, MT -> Seattle, WA).

Basically, the only problem I have with The Antenna Farm is that I didn't actually receive the backorder notice, so I had to email them and ask about the ship date. Even so, for a small company to get product to me in just over a week is excellent.

I also emailed The Antenna Farm a question about one of the products (radio programming cable at a fraction of the price of the OEM version) and got a helpful response 2 days later. Not the ideal response speed, but it was a personal response from John, the owner.

All-in-all, I'll definitely continue to patronize The Antenna Farm unless something awful happens. I'll take flakey backorder emails for the great prices and selection.

"This place is great, great knowledge of VHF radios and components, great products, and fast shipping. I've read some bad reviews about this site, but after dealing with this guy im convinced those reviews were written by folks pissed of at life and venting thru a blog. keep up the good work antenna farm"

"What an arrogant prick; made the horrendous mistake of trying to purchase an Astron power supply from this guy on EBay recently--after being continually "misled" and lied to, we finally cancelled the order. (Thank God)
Don't know which is worst--"John's" rancid idea of what constitutes "customer service", (his "take-it-or-leave-it approach is truly exceptional) or the fact that he truly doesn't give a shit about anything but YOUR money due HIM.
Don't make the same mistake--patronize legitimate dealers and let disreputable charachters like this prey on their own kind...

"I sent a quick email to theantennafarm.com the day prior to placing my order to ask if the items I wanted were in stock. I got a very prompt reply from John indicating that they were there and ready to go. My order was a mix of Amateur and Commercial radio accessories (antennas, mounts, programming cables, head separation kits, etc). I submitted my order just before 9am and before the end of the work day my order had been shipped and I had a UPS tracking number in my in-box. I chose the bargain "best way" shipping, which at ten bucks really was a bargain. My order arrived in less than a week... it was well packed and everything was in perfect condition.

I've got to say that I had seen some of the negative comments about theantennafarm.com before I placed my order, but several local hams have described excellent experiences with John's company... and the prices are the lowest I've seen anywhere for stuff I wanted. Communication from John was very good... he answered my questions promptly and accurately.

I will absolutely be giving John Holbrook and theantennafarm.com more of my business in the future and will encourage my friends to do the same.

Share The Antenna Farm's store rating

The Antenna Farm is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

The Antenna Farm is not a merchant member
The Antenna Farm does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!