California

"Placed an order for some sprockets on Tuesday afternoon. They shipped on Weds and I received them on Friday morning which is right on par for Priority Mail. Shipping is quite expensive though. Was charged $12 for items that easily could have fit into a Small Flat Rate Box and shipped insured for $5.50."

"Ordered from them three times.

Order accuracy has been 100% all three times.

Expediency has been lacking. Same day shipping on online orders if picking standard freight is not possible. If you pick next day or secound day maybe that will light a smoldering fire under their can, I don't know. I give them a 2 out of 10 on this. Last order placed 9 am their time Friday didn't go out till MOnday. Really slow.

They charge padded freight charges. More than what the carrier charges them plus they tack on $ 2.00 S & H to every order.

BY the time you add on higher freight and S&H charges many of their smaller items are not that compelling a deal.

But some things are a much better deal. Like many online dealers its in the details and you must sift through the product offering and read the freight rates and s & H fees to see if its really worth doing.

"I have placed two orders with Surplus Center.
Prices range from reasonable to low except that I was able to find lower prices for hydraulic fittings elsewhere.
Both orders were complete and delivered in a timely fashion. I have no experience with customer service or return issues.
Would I order from them again? Sure, no problem.

"Great price for this regenerative blower , fast shipping and very good customer service . I got the package sooner than expected and it came more than half way across the country . The shipping was what I would consider to be cheap , especially when you look at shipping prices on Ebay . They also always answer emails and hold times when calling have been almost nil or no time at all . I recommend this company . "

"I purchased a pool pump on Monday night online and chose UPS Ground ($21.35 with handling).
I called first thing Tuesday AM to tell them I wanted to change to 3 day shipping to get it here by Friday so I could have my pool open over the July 4th weekend. I was told total shipping cost would be $47 (can't remember exact amount). I approved that and then checked an hour or so later online and saw the $47 amount listed on the invoice. I thought all was well and that I would recieve my pool pump on Friday.

I returned home late in the afternoon to find a message on my answering machine from Chris telling me the package was ready to ship but it would be $73.30 and he wasn't sure if I still wanted the 3 day shipping. I called immediately..

I spoke to Chris and he said it had not been shipped and wouldn't be shipped until Wednesday afternoon since that's when UPS picks up there. (So I ordered Monday night.. and it won't leave their building until Wednesday afternoon.. ouch). I told him that I didn't want to pay the $73.30.

It would have been nice had they honored the original quote for shipping 3 day instead of trying to stick me with an additional $26.

((updated 7/8/06)) -------------------
I received the pump Monday (i.e. if they had shipped it regular ground when I ordered it then it most likely would have gotten here Friday as it was sitting at UPS a few miles from here Friday night).
I did receive an e-mail from Surplus Center, but they made no attempt to right this blunder (it sounded like they didn't see it as a blunder at all).

The product was great, the price was great, it was packaged great.. they just dropped the ball in customer support and in estimating the shipping.

So here's the skinny:
-- 1 - When I called Tuesday AM to say I needed it by Friday they should have been able to say "we'll ship it today and most likely you'll get it by Friday via UPS Ground" then that would have been great.
-- 2 - If, when I called Tuesday AM, they had told me 3rd day would be $73 (instead of $47) then I would have told them to ship it ground and would most likely have gotten here Friday. All would be well.
-- 3 - If, when they realized that it was going to cost more to ship 3rd day than they estimated, they had absorbed that extra cost and gotten it to me on Friday then I would be happy.
-- 4 - If, when I contacted them to tell them that I was an unhappy customer because they had dropped the ball and inconvenienced me, they had sent me a discount coupon or something.. then I would most likely order something from them again.

modified review This review was modified by mike6496 on July 08 2006 06:38:11 AM

"I have made several purchases from Surplus Center over the years, even dating back to before they had a web store. My recent order was shipped timely and well packed, just like every other experience I have had with them has been in the past."

Surplus Center is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Surplus Center is not a merchant member
Surplus Center does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!