Stores > SquareTrade

Customer service: Rating 8.36/10 8.36/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 7.97/10 7.97/10

2016-05-21

TOTAL SCAM

"My brother and I have tried twice in five years to recover from a faulty product and found that this company { Square Trade } rejects claims even with store receipts stating product, date and the purchase of the extended warranty. I wish, better yet, I'm going to pass on my paperwork to Office Depot and challenge them to go back and forth with ( Square Trade } and have them say "We can't find this in our system" We even had their warranty confirmation number" They just wear- out people with their endless back and forth b.s. NOTHING SHORT - "TOTAL SCAM""

This review was modified by coneybb on May 21 2016 01:57:41 AM
Rep reply posted May-26-2016

A rep from SquareTrade, SquareTrade, has responded

“We're sorry to hear you are having such trouble with your claim. That's certainly not the impression we want to leave you with. Would you please email us at socialhelps@squaretrade.com with "ResellerRatings" in the subject line? We'd like to take another look! ^AP”

2016-05-17

Very disappointed in the claim process!

"Received a check after having sent my HP laptop in for repair three times-- unrepairable. I questioned the discount of the Costco coupon, as well as the nonpayment of tax. No they don't pay-- not really correct or fair in my opinion BUT in looking over their materials, I discovered that my first claim was in for servicing for more than five business, and they owed me back the warranty price. In asking about this, they denied the claim saying that the claim from July, 2015 is closed. Extremely dishonest in more ways than one-- they compared their service to an auto accident claim-- are there any claims that don't include tax or the cost of replacement? UNFAIR!"

This review was modified by janineswanson51 on May 17 2016 07:13:36 PM
Rep reply posted May-19-2016

“Hi Janine,

We saw your message on another site & reached out to you. We'd like to help. Please send an email to socialhelps@squaretrade.com.^BF”

2016-05-15

Unimpressive Service.

"I had trouble with a hard drive showing signs of failing hard drive on my Dell laptop. I check the smart check on the hard drive and it indicated that it was starting to fail in more than one area. I called squaretrade and waited and talk to someone. I explained that the hard drive was failing and he had no idea what I was talking about. He asked if he could put me on hold and decided that the wait was too long and that he said that he wasn't sure what I was telling him. He said to send it in the box squaretrade would send me. I told him that I would send the hard drive in but not the laptop since there was nothing else wrong with it. I told him all I wanted was a replacement hard drive and I would install it myself. I am a pc technician that repairs and builds computers.
I do not need someone else to verify what I test and see. I offered to send my hard drive in since I agreed that there was something wrong with it. He said that he couldn't do that. I told him that it wasn't acceptable to send in a working laptop. He told me he was canceling the claim and was in a hurry to get me off the phone. I quote from the squaretrade website for Dell laptops. "What does a SquareTrade plan cover? Hard Drive Failure If your hard drive fails, we’ll replace it for you." Squaretrade is not replacing my failing hard drive like I was lead to believe. I either want squaretrade to honor the warranty and replace the hard drive or refund the warranty in full.

I also had to call in numerous times to get a warranty claim for my chair that arm snapped clean in two. I was hung up on once and second time I was lied to on when I should get my arbitration forms. The third time I called in because I didn't get it them and was told he showed no record of it. I spent over 2 hours of my time for this issue. Luckily I did get a check which I was finally promised at the end.

This leads me to believe squaretrade does not have a standard in which they follow and that they are trained to lie unless the customer calls in repeatedly. I file a bbb complaint but didn't hear back. I think the next step will be to seek legal aid for breach of contract.

Update: I talked to Brittany on the phone and talked about different solutions while she talked to her team. I was offered to either take it in locally to be checked and replaced or send in the whole laptop again. I said never were really a solution since I knew it was a hard drive issue. I did agree to send the hard drive in for them to check at the repair shop. She went back to her team and talk to them. I was then told I could buy a hard drive and install it myself. I was told to give them a copy of the invoice and they would reimburse me for it. However nobody has told me where or how to submit it. My hard drive is now almost completely failed and I still have no clue what them want to do.

tl;dr stay away from squaretrade.

This review was modified by B0LTZ on May 18 2016 10:46:19 PM

“Hi Derek,

Thanks for speaking with me today.
As we discussed we will make an exception to reimburse you once we receive your invoice. Thanks again for allowing me to resolve this to your satisfaction.^BF”

2016-05-10

Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing!

" I had a clam with Square Trade with an I Phone 6 that was damaged. For unknown reasons beyond my control I could not process the clam on line, in turn I had to call "customer service" or in my case the lack of it. First when I called multi able times the calls go to Pakistan with operator names like Kevin, Bob and Heather...really? I don't think that's their given birth name but that's beside the point. The problem is they do not have a clue what's going on. Fist they told me to go to the Apple store...that's great but the closets Apple store is four hours one way after explaining to them that will not work for me.They agreed to send a phone to me that's great...but it was the wrong phone. I had a Space Grey with black face I was sent a silver with white face. Once I received incorrect phone I called again talking to "Bob" in Pakistan. He tells me to activate the phone and use it and they would send me out the correct phone. I knew not to do that so asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor told me to send both phones back my broke phone and the new replacement that was not the correct phone oh and the supervisor said" If you read the agreement with Square Trade it has language that they will replace close to what you had" That's like your auto insurances company saying after a accident yes your car is red but we got a great deal on blue paint so we are going to have the body shop paint your car blue. I guess I should of had a lawyer read over my agreement with Square Trade but if I could afford to do that I would not worry about insurance on a phone. So after waiting for my second replacement phone Square Trade charges me 500.00 for not sending the broken phone to them. I called back and finally got a lady in the USA that after about an hour she sent me the proper phone and I sent the broken phone back. I have not been credited my 500.00 yet. I'll wait and see what happens. I am not very happy with Square Trade. Does Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Glen Beck know what they are really advertising?

This review was modified by Seaydog on May 10 2016 11:55:03 AM
Rep reply posted May-12-2016

A rep from SquareTrade, SquareTrade, has responded

“Thanks for speaking with me to resolve your concerns & turn your experience around. We appreciate your business and value you as a customer.^BF”

2016-05-05

Very Poor Communication!

"I have been a loyal customer of Square Trade Warranty and my last claim they failed me badly. I did not find out a solution to what happened to my item until the 16th phone call. They used Amazon.com to ship replacement items and that was never communicated to me until the 16th call and after speaking to 7 different representatives. 7 hours and I finally got an answer to my call. This is unacceptable! If they use a 3rd party shipper this should be communicated to the customer. I had 2 headsets that went out at the same time. I bought one from Ebay and the other from Plantronics. I assumed the one that was shipped by Amazon was from Plantronics as per my conversation to them.

Here I am wasted 2 months calling Square Trade to find out what the heck happened to my claim. It just said pending and then I was told they shipped it. I questioned them on several calls letting them know I never received it. This was back on 3/15/2016 and finally today 5/5/2016 they tell me they used Amazon. Good grief they should of told me that from the jump! Now I have to deal with Plantronics to find out about the other missing headset. Jeez!!!

This review was modified by MarieR2016 on May 05 2016 10:55:53 AM

“Hi Marie,

We saw your post previously & I requested for you to reach out to us. Please email us when you can. We'd like to help.^BF”

2016-05-04

SQUARETRADE NIGHTMARE!

"After I purchased a Squaretrade warranty, I moved to a remote Pacific island, my phone was damaged and I reached out to Squaretrade. Unfortunately, Squaretrade only trusts FedEx for their shipping needs and I live in an area not serviced by FedEx. But somehow, they managed to have a replacement phone sent to me through the post office. No complaints with the replacement or the timeliness of the replacement, and the Squaretrade rep said not to worry about sending it back since they only dealt with FedEx. Five months later, Squaretrade sends me an email indicating they have charged, NOT a warning it will happen, but that they did charge, my card $500, they stated, we did not receive your defective unit back within the 7 day grace period. We have charged your credit card $500.00 to cover the cost of the replacement unit we sent you. 7 day grace period?, its been five months! Anyhow, subsequent phone calls and emails came with lots of apologies and lots of not to worry, we will take care of you, from Squaretrade. I just want an address to mail the damaged phone and get my $500 back! The two reps I talked to said I should have had a return label with the replacement, but I did not, of course they did not believe me, and apparently Squaretrade did not keep track of the initial discussions relating to the replacement. Another month goes by and I call again, this rep, who keeps putting me on hold to get advice from his supervisor, because his supervisor would not get on the phone and talk to me directly, will have an email sent to me containing a FedEx label. I remind him again that I do not have a FedEx facility anywhere near me and I will use the address on the label to ship it back through a post office. After more discussion, he is told by his supervisor for me to do just that, and by the way, they will not refund me if the package gets lost since I am not using FedEx, and oh by the way, I need to call and confirm their receipt, and oh by the way, I need to specifically request a refund for the $500. Good grief! Perhaps my bank will come through and remove the fraudulent charge to my account if Squaretrade asserts they do not receive the damaged phone. Meanwhile, thank goodness I can gaze out over the ocean and watch beautiful sunsets and hopefully forget this awful experience with Squaretrade!"

This review was modified by itssunny on May 04 2016 04:36:14 PM

“Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you are unhappy with us. I'd like to see what I can do to turn your experience around. Please send an email to socialhelps@squaretrade.com, include "Help from Reseller Rating" in the subject line, your contact information & concerns in the body of the email.^BF”

2016-05-04

If at 1st you don't succeed...

"I have received prompt, courteous service from Square Trade (ST) each time I called. The ST rep diagnosed my TV problem by phone and ordered parts--I then followed up with the service rep they recommended. While the parts did not fix the prob the 1st time, we went thru the process again, the rep ordered more parts and the 2nd time it was a success.

Something to note--the parts ST provides for repair are not new--they are refurbished. This way ST can afford to send a myriad of parts for replacement w/o worrying about cost, and the consumer gets to keep the tv in-house rather than have it diagnosed/repaired at the shop. I am ultimately satisfied because everyone was helpful, prompt and courteous and the tv did get fixed. It did take 2 service calls but not unreasonable in the scheme of things. I would recommend to others that they buy an extended warranty from Square Trade.

This review was modified by pgbowden on May 04 2016 10:38:42 AM

2016-05-03

Started to like the catchy "hold" music

"My husbands $550 phone broke. Thank goodness we purchased a $99 warranty through Square Trade. After hours of being "put on a brief hold" and countless promises to "call me back within the hour" from managers, we stopped fighting for the refund of the purchase price as stated in the warranty and accepted a minimal payoff amount of $384 minus the $75 deductible. (almost half the purchase price) Then for some reason the check was never sent. That's okay, I have nothing better to do than wait on hold and argue.
Wal-mart product protection!!! Much less expensive and less headaches!!!

This review was modified by ayesquiv on May 03 2016 08:21:02 AM

“Hi,

We are really sorry to hear you had a bad experience getting your claim resolved. I want to ensure you receive your check in a timely manner. Please email socialhelps@squaretrade.com, include "Help from Reseller Rating" in the subject line, your contact information & concerns in the body of the email.^BF”

2016-04-27

Satisfied

"They ended up coming through... broken printer. They made it right."

This review was modified by Toneboogie on May 04 2016 02:32:07 PM

A rep from SquareTrade, SquareTrade, has responded

“Thanks for speaking with me concerning your claim. Though a proof of purchase is required to move forward with the claim we understand the store is closed & we want to make sure your claim is resolved. We will be moving forward with payout for your printer. Thanks again for allowing me to address your concerns & make this situation right.^BF”

2016-04-26

SQUARE TRADE IS A SCAM & A RIPOFF!!!!!!

"Square Trade is a scam & a ripoff!!! They start the 1st year of their protection policy the 1st year you have your product even though you have manufacturer warranty the 1st year. Square trade "STEALS" the cost of 1 years coverage & the coverage from the customer by taking a "FREE RIDE" on manufacturers coverage the 1st year. Russ Bombardieri 314-565-0214"

This review was modified by RussBombardieri on April 26 2016 01:06:15 PM

“Hi Russ,

Thanks so much for speaking with me and allowing me to explain how our coverage works & why we offer protection the first year just in case the manufacture doesn't. I have passed on your suggestions for our coverage plans to the appropriate departments. Thank you again for your feedback & your time.^BF”

2016-04-21

Resolved the claim timely

"I was skeptical of the extended warranty from the beginning but I bit the bullet because my TV was a big purchase. It turned out great because my TV had dead pixels after the manufacturer warranty expired. Now because I bought the extended warranty squaretrade has reimbursed me for the purchase price of my original TV so I can purchase a new one. "

This review was modified by isumurphy on April 21 2016 01:52:40 PM

2016-04-21

Still waiting to hear back

"My son had to send in to get fixed cuz his brother got 2 games stuck.they retuned ps4 but not games I called and they send would send back in 48 hrs been over 2 weeks and still waiting to hear back.very expensive games and dont think they are ever going to b returned. "

A rep from SquareTrade, SquareTrade, has responded

“Oh no! Sorry to hear you are having problems getting an update on your claim. I'd like to look into this & get this resolved as soon as possible. Please email us at socialhelps@squaretrade.com, include "Help from Reseller Rating" in the subject line, your contact information & concerns in the body of the email.^BF”

2016-04-18

Buy. Beware they are not truthful bait and switch did not know combines still do this

"I have been with this company for over 8 yrs and they are not a good company when it comes to their customers service. I was emailed a litter saying thank u for buy 8 warranties from us and we are giving u a free warranty well that was until u try to cash in on that and then they bait and switch u and say sorry the free one is only on small items that is not what the email said and they would not honor it talked to a mgr Larry Davis and he said it is what it is all we do is get u to call in and then we switch and say it was a mistake and said to bad and I said I would write a review he did not seem to care he even said to me go ahead write something. So I am please future customer buyer beware stay away they are all liars.just to add on I see above me was another unhappy customer must be a lot of us and see that they write the same thing to everyone kind of makes me feel that they do not read them and a computer dose and says the same thing to anyone that writes a one star wow how in personal can you get see just shows u how bad this company really is."

This review was modified by Scubasteve3 on April 30 2016 04:08:50 AM

A rep from SquareTrade, SquareTrade, has responded

“We apologize for the experience you had. I'm sure we can help track down what happened here. Please email us at socialhelps@squaretrade.com, include "Help from Reseller Rating" in the subject line, your contact information & concerns in the body of the email.^BF”

2016-04-14

Cash on hand!!!

"Overall smooth process to have my TV evaluated. Representatives were very responsive over email and kept me up to date on the claim. In the end my TV had to be replaced but they did not have an equivalent size TV in stock. Without me asking, I was offered a check for the value of the policy. Overall great service. "

This review was modified by acevedof on April 14 2016 07:26:02 PM

A rep from SquareTrade, SquareTrade, has responded

“Glad we were able to accommodate. Sometimes models are hard to come by and we will replace with an equivalent. Thanks for the review!”

2016-04-14

Exceeded Expectations

"I never expected to get a voice on the phone within a couple minuted to deal with my claim. They were fast and great at explaining the process. The company they sent to look at my TV was efficient and on time and had the repairs done in no time at all. I will defintely use Square Trade warranty again and highly recommend to anyone. "

This review was modified by Butchercj on April 15 2016 04:52:02 AM

A rep from SquareTrade, SquareTrade, has responded

“Yep, things move pretty quickly when we have all the info we need. Thanks for your review! We appreciate the feedback! ^AP”

Share SquareTrade's store rating

SquareTrade is a Merchant Member! Learn more

SquareTrade is a merchant member
SquareTrade participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 2,592 merchant members.