Stores > Sportsmans Guide

Customer service: Rating 1.94/10 1.94/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10

2016-01-24

Sportsmen's Giude not 2A sympathetic

"I wanted to order a AR-15 upper from Sportsmen's Guide. The price was good, and it was available. However upon checkout, I was surprised to find out Sportsmen's Gide will not ship to my state (Connecticut). The following day I read the state statute and it mentioned absolutely nothing about parts. I then went to one of the larger firearms dealers in my area, and found that indeed that there is no part of any law in the state that bans the sale (other than large capacity magazines) of parts. I then contacted customer service to ask for clarification on why these parts are restricted, and will not be sent to my state. I was told that it was the result of the old computers and software that they were using, and new computer systems will be installed in April, and I should try to re-order then. After that conversation, I then contacted Brownell's and spoke to customer service there. The person on the phone was very knowledgeable of the state statute in Connecticut, and concurred what I had told the customer service representative at the Sportsmen's Guide was the state statute. I then followed up with an email to customer service what had happened, and I was stunned with the response that I had received from. I have cut and pasted his response.
Hello Ken,
Thank you for your email.
We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration that this has caused you. Our restriction was recommended by our lawyer in reference to Connecticut Bill CT1160.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Enjoy the Outdoors!
Derek A. Bradbury
Customer Care Products Specialist

For a business that is counting on the integrity of the Second Amendment for their bottom line, they sure do not help the people that work hard to defend it.

This review was modified by VTWolverine on January 24 2016 11:31:37 AM

2016-01-14

Do not buy ammo from them

"I needed 8mm took forever to ship. When it finally arrived I decided to go out for a shoot. Lo and behold the ammunition wouldn't chamber. So I call customer service and they give a runaround for about 5 minutes. Just to find out they don't return ammo. Now I'm out $200 and i now have useless ammunition. very displeased."

This review was modified by Noneyea on January 14 2016 06:37:21 PM

2016-01-11

"On 1/5/2016 I placed an order for some ammunition that stated an availability expected date of 1/25/2016. I printed out my order confirmation. I then received a "thank you for your order' email, immediately followed by an email indicating my order would not be filled because it was sold out. How can an item that has an expected availability of almost 3 weeks in the future be sold out on the day of the order? I emailed customer service with that very inquiry and the response I got was "We apologize for the inconvenience. You will receive an email with an update on the item." I'm not sure what that meant but it included a link that showed my order as being "in process". A few days go by and no additional email. So I decided to email them again to ask them when my order 'in progress" was expected to ship. They responded by sending me an email titled "Your wish list is waiting" which included a link to my ammo order that now indicates I can still purchase the ammo at a twice the price. I called customer service and I am told the original pricing was a mistake and that is why my order was not filled. Wait a minute I said, that is not the reason given to me in my email. It simply states it was not being delivered because it was sold out and 6 days later I am told I can buy the ammo at twice the price? Not acceptable...although I haven't read all the reviews posted on this website, I suspect this is not an uncommon practice as I have heard from others at different sources complaining of having similar issues. I was told they had actually sent out orders at the incorrect price and requested they be sent back unless the customer wanted to pay the current price of double. Does that not reek of an unethical business practice usually found at unscrupulous car dealers with their bait and switch scams? Until now I have heard rumors of others having had similar experiences with SG, but since all my prior purchases were basically uneventful, I was willing to give SG the benefit of the doubt. I also understand about pricing errors but the way they handled it made me doubt their honesty. They clearly knew it was a pricing error and told me otherwise in my email. They also made statements to me on the phone that can not be reconciled with what was told to me in their emails. I would say that Sportsmans Guide has some real bargains from time to time, but now because of my personal experience it confirms in my mind the similar experiences of others are no longer just internet rumors to me. I now have no way of discerning if any published pricing reflects real deals or if they are actually pricing errors. According to them it was several days after I placed my order before the customer service reps were made aware of the error in pricing. So even if I had called them prior to placing the order they would have confirmed the price was valid. Bottom line...I suspect it is not intentional dishonesty but rather they are simply too big to prevent these types of occurrences from repeatedly happening. Still if this is the best they can do and they have no customer service response other than sorry for the inconvenience would you like to go ahead and continue with the order at twice the price...I think I will pass... and spend my money elsewhere.

EDIT: After several conflicting excuses, I recently received yet another. It claims "Unfortunately we were notified by the vendor that this item is discontinued and the order was canceled."

Really? Magtech 9mm FMJ is a discontinued item? I don't think so, and as previously stated they have offered to sell it to me at twice the price. They can't even get there stories straight.

This review was modified by DanTampa on January 14 2016 08:55:10 AM

2015-12-29

"Very Poor Company, respected sellers don't charge your account until they ship. Been waiting two weeks, call them daily and they have no answers. Told them I wanted my money back, said they had to call who they were getting the gun from to see if it was OK...RUN FROM THESE PEOPLE!!!!!"

2015-12-21

"Don't count on them to get your firearm shipped in a reasonable amount of time. I ordered on 12/11 and now it's 12/21 and it still hasn't shipped. I've contacted them via email twice and was assured that it would ship by 12/18. I called support and the fellow I spoke with hung up the phone on me, so I had to call back and speak with a supervisor. She was nice, but offered nothing other than to cancel the order. I'll take my money elsewhere, and I suggest you do too!"

This review was modified by LandoGriffin on December 21 2015 08:11:44 AM

2015-12-20

"We purchased a rifle from The Sportsmans Guide on 12/8/15. We were told by more than (1) TSG employee that the item would arrive by the time we needed it to, (12/18/15). As we continued to follow up it became clear that wasn’t going to happen. In fact, not one TSG employee we’ve communicated with through today, (12/20) can tell us exactly what the status of the rifle is – the website still says “In process”. We then asked to cancel the order on, either the 10th, or 11th of December. We continued to follow-up inquiring about the cancellation and refund status. At one point a TSG employee stated that the order was in process of cancelling and that we should expect a refund within a few business days. We called back and have since been told, they are not sure the order can be cancelled because the order might have shipped – again, no one from TSG, or their supplier, (Armalite) can confirm, or deny this. Today I was told our only option was to refuse delivery and we would be charged a 15% restocking fee, (That’s $300!!!). I’ve repeatedly asked for a Supervisor, or Manager and have been denied the opportunity to speak to one.

Dates of contact via phone: 12/8, 12/9, 12/10 & 12/11. Dates of contact via email: 12/13, 12/19 & 12/20.

This review was modified by surftrybe on December 20 2015 01:07:22 PM

2015-12-19

"Business Ethics: NONE
Customer Service: SUCKS

Will not ship items ordered. Will charge "membership fees" when not authorized. Cannot tell much about their products, because I have not yet received them....customer service was to have gotten in touch with me "within 24-48 hours". Is 8 days (without word) fall within the time frame stated........RUN FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!! TREAT IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!

This review was modified by sprtsmnsgidusucks on December 19 2015 09:35:56 AM

2015-10-17

"Some great bargains, hidden among a lot of garbage! If you know a lot about the products you are shopping, and are very careful to read the description AND the reviews, you can find some real bargains at Sportsmans Guide. The first thing to know is to NEVER buy anything that doesn't have a goodly number of customer reviews. SG is generally honest about letting customers post reviews, which is why you will often find items in their catalog with dozens of 1-star reviews (unlike some stores that post only the good reviews). ALWAYS READ the reviews and start with the lowest ratings first, some will be from customers who didn't read the listing or who didn't know what they were ordering, but most will have good information about exactly what might be wrong with an item. This is especially true for military surplus items that make up nearly half the SG catalog. Many such items are "new" in that they have never been issued, but have been sitting on a shelf in some East European military warehouse for decades. Leather left on the shelf for 30 years drys out or gets moldy for example. WHEN (not IF) you get an item that doesn't match the description, call SG Customer Service on the phone. They will take the item back (even most "non-returnable" items) and will send you a free shipping label. NEVER order anything on backorder even if they show a date when it is supposed to be available. To be blunt, they LIE about the "expected availability date" - this is not just poor communication with their suppliers, they will repeatedly claim a backordered item is expected to arrive in 1-2 weeks so they can dodge the FTC rules about items not expected within 21 days. Then when the "expected" date comes, they will just say the item is due in another week or two. Another recurring issue with SG is their packing department. Do you remember those old Samsonite luggage commercials with the gorilla tossing the suitcase around? Well, SG much have hired that gorilla and all his relatives. So far as I can tell, when they pack your order they must put a big box in the middle of the warehouse then throw all your items into the box from at least 10 feet away, then drop some paper or bubble wrap on top, close the box and ship it. The outer box is always much bigger than needed and rarely has enough padding. But, again, if an item arrives broken, they will take it back if you call them."

2015-08-21

"I love The Sportsmans Guide and have never been dissatisfied with a purchase. Great finds and prices. Customer services has always been friendly and easy to work with. The only catch is that you better order it when you see it; items sell out very quickly. There are shipping restrictions on some items, but these restrictions are implemented by manufacturers or state governments not The Sportsmans Guide. Shipping is always quick. "

This review was modified by jamos1978 on August 21 2015 05:13:41 AM

2015-07-14

"Very poor customer service. They publish expected dates for product availability that are completely unreliable, changing these dates because they don't know when they are getting anything. Their relations with their mfg./vendors/dist. are pitiful. If you don't know when product is going to be available, don't publish an "expected" date, just say "unknown."

This review was modified by thomasst on July 14 2015 08:36:27 AM

2015-07-06

"this is the worst company every. customer service suck. the customer rep to called me son. very unprofessional. they cancelled my membership and said it had expire last year June 2014 when i only signed up in march 2015. worst company to buy from."

2015-06-12

"Poor Customer Service and order resolution. They described a product on their website incorrectly. It was missing some parts that made it legal to use.

I called them on the phone prior to purchase to verify the accuracy of the product and customer service assured me the rifle was as described. Not the case! I called customer service after receiving the item to ask them to send me these additional parts or cover the cost to purchase directly from the supplier but they refused. I will never purchase from this retailer again!

2015-06-10

"This is the worst company I have ever dealt with.
The first order sent the product was not what was described, and I spoke with customer service to verify the product first.
I returned it to get the original product. They sent the new order to the wrong address.
Again I did this over the phone with customer service.
I call customer service again and they will not fix the error.
They are incompetent and very rude and unprofessional
The customer service "Supervisor", "Mike", no I.D.#, just Mike was so rude he actually was insulting me and telling me that "He could not fix me" trying to bait me into getting angry.
I am appalled that there are people in customer service who act in this manner.
I order weekly online and will never use this company again.

This review was modified by Never5 on June 10 2015 02:31:35 PM

2015-05-24

"Have always been pleased with dealing with them. Which availability has been a problem at times, their prices on ammunition has always been the best. They consistently ship quick."

2015-05-19

"BOYCOTT THIS UN-AMERICAN COMPANY! Their SHIPPING RESTRICTIONS are unreal, check them for yourselves! I joined the Buyer's Club before I realized this, they cheated me on the refund of the unused Buyer's Club discount when I requested closure of my account.

They will NOT ship a SPRING-ASSISTED KNIFE over 2" to CALIFORNIA! They must be the ONLY company in the USA that WILL NOT. Spring-assisted knives are TOTALLY LEGAL in CALIFORNIA. Customer support does NOT CARE! This is only the most EXTREME of MANY egregious SHIPPING RESTRICTIONS this company has. This company has been reported to KNIFE RIGHTS many times!

Support USA owned and supporting companies and DO NOT PURCHASE from SPORTSMAN'S GUIDE or their related companies!

Share Sportsmans Guide's store rating

Sportsmans Guide is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Sportsmans Guide is not a merchant member
Sportsmans Guide does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!