• Restaurant.com

Chance of future purchase: Rating 0.12/10 0.12/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.56/10 1.56/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.60/10 0.60/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.44/10 0.44/10

"Do not buy anything from restaurant.com. It's a scam!
I initially bought $50 certificates from them. When I went to the restaurant, the restaurant said they wouldn't except them. And now restaurant.com wouldn't refund my money any more!!!

modified review This review was modified by Jlai22 on March 30 2015 09:12:44 AM

"Well, I thought I was making a great decision by purchasing the $40 priced e card for Restaurant.com by buying that from living social for a $200 dollar e gift card to use on Restaurant.com. I read the faq's, browsed the website. It all seemed like a swell idea. So I went ahead and bought it thinking, I could save some money I'm in college, we go out to eat no way this could go wrong. Well. I applied that voucher from living social to Restaurant.com. All the prices magically changed! And the prices you have to spend after the discount to prices a college student can't afford! Amazing how that works. Because I read the print and there was no way to see these prices without the card being applied, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the card. I went back to living social saying, this is what happened. I want my money back, which I think is completely reasonable. I've bought plenty from them. Then I get the response back that they will not be refunding me my $40 I was scammed out of because I had applied the card to their site. Well, I told you that up front? How would I have known prices magically change without it applied? The full amount is still there. And after the fact I was like, I need to know. Opened up Restaurant.com started browsing through places in my area. Got out my phone and started calling. Not one. Not one restaurant I had called took these vouchers, and some had not even heard of restaurant.com so they absolutely did not take their vouchers.

So thank you both Living Social and Restaurant.com !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

modified review This review was modified by SigmundFreud on March 25 2015 08:48:09 PM

"Absolute worst online coupon site there is. Buyer beware.. actually, more than beware as this is a total scam site that takes your money and offers no help other than generic automated emails.

I purchased a total of $35 worth of coupons for local restaurants in January. The restaurants have since backed our of their deals (gee, can't imagine why.) so I was sent an email notifying me of such and stating that I can "easily" (HAHAHAHA) exchange my coupons for a different restaurant. What a nightmare. Restaurant.com split that $35 in to three $10 "eGiftcards" and one $5. So now, when I do want to reinvest my coupons towards a new restaurant it constantly states I don't have enough credit. There is no way to combine all my "eGiftcards" leaving me with putting in my credit card some more. Really?! The scam artist wants MORE?! Anyone who would fall for this is a complete idiot and deserves the rip off. Irritated I searched and search... annnnnd searched some more to find NO phone number to call. My only option? Email. So I did. I did not only once but twice. The second email I got gave me instructions on what I was doing and never even addressed my issue of "hey, can you guys either 1) refund my original money or 2) combine my "eGiftcards". So I am stuck with four tiny "eGiftcards" that can't over any purchase anyways. What a complete joke. This site needs to be removed, banned, and sued for stealing customers money. This is an absolute illegal site and is fraudulent on every level. DO NOT USE THIS SITE!!!!!!!

"If you don't know what Restaurant.com is, here is a quick explanation: Spend good money to get nothing more than a COUPON for 50% a restaurant. That is it. You MUST spend twice the amount of your "gift certificate" to redeem it. There are a ton of other loop holes and catches as well. I had to use some miles from a credit card, and I pretty much just threw them away by getting a retaurant.com certificate. Oh well, lesson learned."

modified review This review was modified by deebow on March 09 2015 02:12:47 PM

"We went to Ami's in Sheffield last night with a $25 coupon. Always, always present your coupons when you first get to the resturant. I presented my coupon, the waitress told the manager about it and the waitress said the manager said, no problem. When it came time to pay bill, guess what...there was a problem. The manager did not want to honor coupon. I showed her the coupon on my IPad and told her we were up front about coupon before we ordered. She said she was not aware of resturant.com and them putting coupons online about Ami's . She finally ended up honoring the coupon because I was un front with them from the start. The manager was nice and did honor coupon, but this made me very disappointed in Resturant.com and Ami's...Don't see me using them again. My husband and I are retired and I am always looking for coupons, but this experience was not good."

"2/19/15. Well, I have decided to report on every experience I have with restaurant.com. Tonight, my husband and patronized Becky's Bistro in Willoughby Hills, OH. I had a certificate for $25, and in the fine print it says you must spend ***$37.50***

When we arrived at Becky's tonight, there was a piece of paper taped to the door that said, "restaurant.com coupons are only accepted with a $50 purchase or more." Which is fine -- I'm all about being reasonable. (BTW, I NOW HAVE A PHOTO OF THAT SIGN.)

So we spent $50.50 before tax, which included 2 beers. When we got our bill and presented the certificate, the waitress said, "Becky has a policy and we are not allowed to accept these certificates unless you spend $50 on FOOD." So I took a freakin picture of the sign and ALL IT SAYS IS THAT YOU HAVE TO SPEND $50.

I am p!$$ed, and I don't know who to be mad at. Did restaurant.com make a mistake when they set a minimum of $37.50? Probably. Was the waitress operating on rules from 3 years ago that DID say alcohol doesn't count? Maybe. I wouldn't be so mad except that I FOLLOWED THE WRITTEN RULES and did my part.

There's nothing I can do. I can't call the cops and have Becky thrown into coupon-jail. So who do I have the right to complain to?

More to come, from different restaurants.

2/18/15. I received excellent customer service from Restaurant.com this week. I had purchased three $5 certificates to a sandwich shop that went out of business, and I wanted to exchange them for one $15 certificate. Well, you can't do that in their system. I reported this on their customer service page. It took about 10 days, but a rep emailed me today and said she would do it manually for me. They have always been good about helping me.

The only thing is that I have had the same experience other people have had where a restaurant stops honoring them. I think the restaurant owners feel that they are not getting the benefits they expected. As a result, fewer and fewer good restaurants are participating.

So I have some suggestions. First of all, don't buy them to try new places. I did that for years, but it has become a problem because of the increasing number of crappy restaurants they have. Before you buy, check out the restaurant first -- google earth it to see the neighborhood, check the website & menu etc.

Next, if you find you have to exchange your certificates, go for the tried and true places you already know. There are some really good, overpriced restaurants that will always take these, and I will not visit those restaurants without a coupon/certificate. Those restaurants can often be found on Groupon as well.

Finally, I've found that many of the mom and pop establishments are the first ones to bail on restaurant.com, so if you have any of those, you had better use them up as soon as possible.

One more thing. If you have a large denomination - like $50 -- and you exchange it for a $25. two $10, and a $5, you are going to have a problem. If you ever want to recombine them and change them back into a $50, the only way you can do this is by contacting a human.

As I said, they have always been nice to me, and most of the time I get my moneys worth. You just have to be aware of what youre getting into.

modified review This review was modified by TinkerbelleM on February 19 2015 08:57:22 PM

"this is a COMPLETE SCAM as everyone else has posted. I had the exact experience. I purchased several of these and was able to redeem 2 over a 3 year period. The ones I successfully redeemed were in the first 6 months. Then every one after didn't work, location didn't accept them, or the place was out of business. I have spent the last 4 months trying to get my $$ refunded - they state their system can't perform refunds. REALLY???? How is that even possible??? Horrible customer service, I've been lied to and told I'd get return phone calls which never happened. PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT WASTE your $$ with this scam and horrible app/business."

"This is an ABSOLUTE scam. None of the 6 restaurants I bought gift cards for will accept them. Two of the restaurants have never even talked to anyone from restaurant.com. Restaurant.com will not give refunds-they will only allow you to exchange them for more cards that do not work!!!!!!!"

modified review This review was modified by christineray on February 04 2015 11:01:15 AM

"Restaurant.com has shady business practices. They allow third party sellers to sell certificates and allow purchasers to set up accounts with those certificates; yet they delete those certificates from the purchaser's account based on an unsubstantiated claim from the third party seller that the purchaser was given a refund. Restaurant.com wiped out $100 from my account claiming that they were notified by the company from which I purchased the certificate that a refund was issued back to me. However, I was not issued a refund, nor did I ask for a refund. In addition, Restaurant.com never notified me that someone made that misrepresentation and that Restaurant.com intended to void the certificate. If they had notified me (since I was the person who established the account and redeemed the certificate), I would have disputed the company/seller's claim at that time.

It really makes no sense why Restaurant.com would take a third-party's word and not even notify the actual account holder (me) of the intention to void a certificate.

Dealing with Restaurant.com customer service was a waste of time.

"As a business owner I decided to give this a chance. After a handful of confused customers who did not understand the concept, me ending up giving them more free food because I felt bad and the fact that restaurant.com signed me up for more than they said they would I have decided to cancel. The certificates never expire, which means you could see them years down the road. Restaurant.com says this is because of "state laws" they need to abide by... Another drawback is there is really no way to keep these from being duplicated at the register. By the time you call in the code and find out it's a re-print it's usually a few days later. Also their mobile app is almost impossible to validate at the register. Restaurant.com is a good idea, they are just doing it all wrong, and as business owners we're the ones paying for it. "

modified review This review was modified by Justinbusinessowner on January 29 2015 09:55:38 PM

"I recently purchased two Orchestra seat tickets to Broadway show as a gift to my sister at specials.restaurant.com. Much to my dismay, the tickets we received 2 weeks prior to the show were far left corner seatings in the Orchestra Stadium section which is priced at half the price of an usual Orchestra seats go for.
The price at which the seats are listed in the promotion are misleading as it suggests that the seatings are orchestra seats instead of the orchestra stadium seats. Regardless of whether the stadium seats offer a better view (so I was told by the phone representative), the stated package value of $176.50 X 2 (126.50 as the full price of an Orchestra seat ticket) + ($25 for $50 eCoupon for dinner) does not truly reflect the market price of the ticket.
I purchased through the vendor specials.restaurant.com instead of making the purchase on ticketmaster.com because the site promises a better value for the money spent. Even with the $25 dinner package being added on, the ticket price in market for the seatings I received are $75.75 each and not even near the $126.25 (which Orchestra seats are priced at) that the description suggests.
Very disappointed and angry that they are refusing to issue a refund or change the seats. The discrepancy between their communication and what is really being sold to the consumers are unethical and fraudulent.
Please beware of its promotional communication as they are inaccurate with fine letters that create loopholes for the site to avoid issuing a refund.
I had another incident with restarant.com when I purchased the eCoupon for Hilton Worldwide. Not only was the description incredibly misleading but also confusing. The site is not an honorable vendor to make any kind of purchases.

modified review This review was modified by jmaeng66 on January 23 2015 12:13:49 PM

"Used to be very good; many local restaurant choices and it actually helped restaurants fill their seats especially during off hours. When it first started it allowed each participating restaurant to indicate their own restrictions......."Mon-Thurs;" "NOT to be used Saturday;" etc. This was confusing to certificate holders but probably the only reason better restaurants participated in the program. Now.....NO RESTRICTIONS; NO REALLY GOOD RESTAURANTS; LOWER CERTIFICATE VALUES: RESTAURANTS LEAVING THE PROGRAM IN DROVES......LOTS OF PIZZA AND INDIAN.............NO LONGER A VIABLE OPTION FOR SAVING $ AT DECENT EATERIES."

"You think you are getting a deal but wait until you hit an issue...thee is no phone number whatsoever to speak to a human and when you email them you get a standardized response which does not help at all! Also make sure you read the fine print."

"Started using Restaurant.com a few years ago for local dining discounts. At first they were ok, honored the certificate when the merchant turned them in.

Bought a few gift certificates along the way when they had deals combined with movie tickets...also okay, except that their gift certificates were money on their account system toward purchase of vouchers for restaurants...and the system is incredibly convoluted and difficult to use! After spending way too much time figuring out how to utilize the voucher system from my account, I've given up and left probably $150 worth of unused vouchers. Some of these vouchers I've given to family members who've said they were no longer honored at the place they took them.

Now I'm finding that many of my local dining places are not taking Restaurant.com vouchers anymore because they've failed to honor their agreement with the merchant. If this website can't follow through with their commitment to the merchant, and all my favorite places to use these vouchers are no longer willing to participate, that speaks volumes about the integrity of Restaurant.com. Don't use them!!

"OK, so I got this Restaurant.com $25 gift card as a bonus from auto glass place for choosing them. That's nice. I read the card and it states 'Never Expires'. Even better right. When I get home that night I decided to check out this gift card I just got. I find out they have an app, getting better. I download the app, make an account and register my new gift card. Ding, $25 on the account. Very nice.
Fast forward a few weeks. We decide to use the card to out for dinner. Wait, what, where is the $25 credit? Oh it must have reset itself or something. I get the plastic gift card back out and try to input the info again. Nothing, says $0 when I input the info. That’s odd, let me re-read this card. Yep says never expires. So I email their customer service and I get the generic response that is telling me how to input the card info as if I’m a moron and can’t follow on screen prompts.
I reply to the email stating the above information again. Had $25, now I don’t. Where is it? Now they kind of respond and tell me the card has $0 on it. Again, I can get that information for myself through the app.
I reply again, 3rd email to them btw, asking how is this so? If the card ‘Never Expires’ and I have not used it? Where did the money go? They respond by stating that it was used.
Well that is odd. I haven’t used it. It’s been in my wallet. It is registered to my account. That’s not possible. I replied again to this poor and simple minded customer service person, who obviously is not accustomed to using a computer and performing any type of research beyond typing random things into google and anxiously waiting for whatever wonder will appear next. I asked how is it that a gift card registered to me on your app that I have not used could be used by someone else. I said that you must know where the card was used. and I’m sure you can tell who used it as they had to register with your site to use it. If you can’t track simple use like that then how can you market your service to restaurants?
They replied with a simple ‘Tina’ used it. Then some explanation that if it were lost someplace then anyone could pick it up off the ground and use it (remember it has been in my wallet the whole time) and there really is nothing else they can do.
Really, then why have people ‘register’ the cards in the first place? Horrible customer service, poor selection of restaurants, and obviously no control over their gift card numbers. I would never waste my money on this sorry business. I called the auto glass place and gave them the low down. They assured me that no one named ‘Tina’ works there and they would send me a new $25 gift card. Now that’s customer service.

modified review This review was modified by Big-Daddy-T on January 02 2015 01:21:26 AM

Share Restaurant.com's store rating

Restaurant.com is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Restaurant.com is not a merchant member
Restaurant.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!