• Restaurant.com

Chance of future purchase: Rating 0.14/10 0.14/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.83/10 1.83/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.56/10 0.56/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.50/10 0.50/10

"2/19/15. Well, I have decided to report on every experience I have with restaurant.com. Tonight, my husband and patronized Becky's Bistro in Willoughby Hills, OH. I had a certificate for $25, and in the fine print it says you must spend ***$37.50***

When we arrived at Becky's tonight, there was a piece of paper taped to the door that said, "restaurant.com coupons are only accepted with a $50 purchase or more." Which is fine -- I'm all about being reasonable. (BTW, I NOW HAVE A PHOTO OF THAT SIGN.)

So we spent $50.50 before tax, which included 2 beers. When we got our bill and presented the certificate, the waitress said, "Becky has a policy and we are not allowed to accept these certificates unless you spend $50 on FOOD." So I took a freakin picture of the sign and ALL IT SAYS IS THAT YOU HAVE TO SPEND $50.

I am p!$$ed, and I don't know who to be mad at. Did restaurant.com make a mistake when they set a minimum of $37.50? Probably. Was the waitress operating on rules from 3 years ago that DID say alcohol doesn't count? Maybe. I wouldn't be so mad except that I FOLLOWED THE WRITTEN RULES and did my part.

There's nothing I can do. I can't call the cops and have Becky thrown into coupon-jail. So who do I have the right to complain to?

More to come, from different restaurants.

2/18/15. I received excellent customer service from Restaurant.com this week. I had purchased three $5 certificates to a sandwich shop that went out of business, and I wanted to exchange them for one $15 certificate. Well, you can't do that in their system. I reported this on their customer service page. It took about 10 days, but a rep emailed me today and said she would do it manually for me. They have always been good about helping me.

The only thing is that I have had the same experience other people have had where a restaurant stops honoring them. I think the restaurant owners feel that they are not getting the benefits they expected. As a result, fewer and fewer good restaurants are participating.

So I have some suggestions. First of all, don't buy them to try new places. I did that for years, but it has become a problem because of the increasing number of crappy restaurants they have. Before you buy, check out the restaurant first -- google earth it to see the neighborhood, check the website & menu etc.

Next, if you find you have to exchange your certificates, go for the tried and true places you already know. There are some really good, overpriced restaurants that will always take these, and I will not visit those restaurants without a coupon/certificate. Those restaurants can often be found on Groupon as well.

Finally, I've found that many of the mom and pop establishments are the first ones to bail on restaurant.com, so if you have any of those, you had better use them up as soon as possible.

One more thing. If you have a large denomination - like $50 -- and you exchange it for a $25. two $10, and a $5, you are going to have a problem. If you ever want to recombine them and change them back into a $50, the only way you can do this is by contacting a human.

As I said, they have always been nice to me, and most of the time I get my moneys worth. You just have to be aware of what youre getting into.

modified review This review was modified by TinkerbelleM on February 19 2015 08:57:22 PM

"this is a COMPLETE SCAM as everyone else has posted. I had the exact experience. I purchased several of these and was able to redeem 2 over a 3 year period. The ones I successfully redeemed were in the first 6 months. Then every one after didn't work, location didn't accept them, or the place was out of business. I have spent the last 4 months trying to get my $$ refunded - they state their system can't perform refunds. REALLY???? How is that even possible??? Horrible customer service, I've been lied to and told I'd get return phone calls which never happened. PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT WASTE your $$ with this scam and horrible app/business."

"This is an ABSOLUTE scam. None of the 6 restaurants I bought gift cards for will accept them. Two of the restaurants have never even talked to anyone from restaurant.com. Restaurant.com will not give refunds-they will only allow you to exchange them for more cards that do not work!!!!!!!"

modified review This review was modified by christineray on February 04 2015 11:01:15 AM

"Restaurant.com has shady business practices. They allow third party sellers to sell certificates and allow purchasers to set up accounts with those certificates; yet they delete those certificates from the purchaser's account based on an unsubstantiated claim from the third party seller that the purchaser was given a refund. Restaurant.com wiped out $100 from my account claiming that they were notified by the company from which I purchased the certificate that a refund was issued back to me. However, I was not issued a refund, nor did I ask for a refund. In addition, Restaurant.com never notified me that someone made that misrepresentation and that Restaurant.com intended to void the certificate. If they had notified me (since I was the person who established the account and redeemed the certificate), I would have disputed the company/seller's claim at that time.

It really makes no sense why Restaurant.com would take a third-party's word and not even notify the actual account holder (me) of the intention to void a certificate.

Dealing with Restaurant.com customer service was a waste of time.

"As a business owner I decided to give this a chance. After a handful of confused customers who did not understand the concept, me ending up giving them more free food because I felt bad and the fact that restaurant.com signed me up for more than they said they would I have decided to cancel. The certificates never expire, which means you could see them years down the road. Restaurant.com says this is because of "state laws" they need to abide by... Another drawback is there is really no way to keep these from being duplicated at the register. By the time you call in the code and find out it's a re-print it's usually a few days later. Also their mobile app is almost impossible to validate at the register. Restaurant.com is a good idea, they are just doing it all wrong, and as business owners we're the ones paying for it. "

modified review This review was modified by Justinbusinessowner on January 29 2015 09:55:38 PM

"I recently purchased two Orchestra seat tickets to Broadway show as a gift to my sister at specials.restaurant.com. Much to my dismay, the tickets we received 2 weeks prior to the show were far left corner seatings in the Orchestra Stadium section which is priced at half the price of an usual Orchestra seats go for.
The price at which the seats are listed in the promotion are misleading as it suggests that the seatings are orchestra seats instead of the orchestra stadium seats. Regardless of whether the stadium seats offer a better view (so I was told by the phone representative), the stated package value of $176.50 X 2 (126.50 as the full price of an Orchestra seat ticket) + ($25 for $50 eCoupon for dinner) does not truly reflect the market price of the ticket.
I purchased through the vendor specials.restaurant.com instead of making the purchase on ticketmaster.com because the site promises a better value for the money spent. Even with the $25 dinner package being added on, the ticket price in market for the seatings I received are $75.75 each and not even near the $126.25 (which Orchestra seats are priced at) that the description suggests.
Very disappointed and angry that they are refusing to issue a refund or change the seats. The discrepancy between their communication and what is really being sold to the consumers are unethical and fraudulent.
Please beware of its promotional communication as they are inaccurate with fine letters that create loopholes for the site to avoid issuing a refund.
I had another incident with restarant.com when I purchased the eCoupon for Hilton Worldwide. Not only was the description incredibly misleading but also confusing. The site is not an honorable vendor to make any kind of purchases.

modified review This review was modified by jmaeng66 on January 23 2015 12:13:49 PM

"Used to be very good; many local restaurant choices and it actually helped restaurants fill their seats especially during off hours. When it first started it allowed each participating restaurant to indicate their own restrictions......."Mon-Thurs;" "NOT to be used Saturday;" etc. This was confusing to certificate holders but probably the only reason better restaurants participated in the program. Now.....NO RESTRICTIONS; NO REALLY GOOD RESTAURANTS; LOWER CERTIFICATE VALUES: RESTAURANTS LEAVING THE PROGRAM IN DROVES......LOTS OF PIZZA AND INDIAN.............NO LONGER A VIABLE OPTION FOR SAVING $ AT DECENT EATERIES."

"You think you are getting a deal but wait until you hit an issue...thee is no phone number whatsoever to speak to a human and when you email them you get a standardized response which does not help at all! Also make sure you read the fine print."

"Started using Restaurant.com a few years ago for local dining discounts. At first they were ok, honored the certificate when the merchant turned them in.

Bought a few gift certificates along the way when they had deals combined with movie tickets...also okay, except that their gift certificates were money on their account system toward purchase of vouchers for restaurants...and the system is incredibly convoluted and difficult to use! After spending way too much time figuring out how to utilize the voucher system from my account, I've given up and left probably $150 worth of unused vouchers. Some of these vouchers I've given to family members who've said they were no longer honored at the place they took them.

Now I'm finding that many of my local dining places are not taking Restaurant.com vouchers anymore because they've failed to honor their agreement with the merchant. If this website can't follow through with their commitment to the merchant, and all my favorite places to use these vouchers are no longer willing to participate, that speaks volumes about the integrity of Restaurant.com. Don't use them!!

"OK, so I got this Restaurant.com $25 gift card as a bonus from auto glass place for choosing them. That's nice. I read the card and it states 'Never Expires'. Even better right. When I get home that night I decided to check out this gift card I just got. I find out they have an app, getting better. I download the app, make an account and register my new gift card. Ding, $25 on the account. Very nice.
Fast forward a few weeks. We decide to use the card to out for dinner. Wait, what, where is the $25 credit? Oh it must have reset itself or something. I get the plastic gift card back out and try to input the info again. Nothing, says $0 when I input the info. That’s odd, let me re-read this card. Yep says never expires. So I email their customer service and I get the generic response that is telling me how to input the card info as if I’m a moron and can’t follow on screen prompts.
I reply to the email stating the above information again. Had $25, now I don’t. Where is it? Now they kind of respond and tell me the card has $0 on it. Again, I can get that information for myself through the app.
I reply again, 3rd email to them btw, asking how is this so? If the card ‘Never Expires’ and I have not used it? Where did the money go? They respond by stating that it was used.
Well that is odd. I haven’t used it. It’s been in my wallet. It is registered to my account. That’s not possible. I replied again to this poor and simple minded customer service person, who obviously is not accustomed to using a computer and performing any type of research beyond typing random things into google and anxiously waiting for whatever wonder will appear next. I asked how is it that a gift card registered to me on your app that I have not used could be used by someone else. I said that you must know where the card was used. and I’m sure you can tell who used it as they had to register with your site to use it. If you can’t track simple use like that then how can you market your service to restaurants?
They replied with a simple ‘Tina’ used it. Then some explanation that if it were lost someplace then anyone could pick it up off the ground and use it (remember it has been in my wallet the whole time) and there really is nothing else they can do.
Really, then why have people ‘register’ the cards in the first place? Horrible customer service, poor selection of restaurants, and obviously no control over their gift card numbers. I would never waste my money on this sorry business. I called the auto glass place and gave them the low down. They assured me that no one named ‘Tina’ works there and they would send me a new $25 gift card. Now that’s customer service.

modified review This review was modified by Big-Daddy-T on January 02 2015 01:21:26 AM

"I just received my tickets for the show Newsies that I got through a deal on restautrant.com. When purchasing the tickets, it said that I would get lower balcony seats. The seats I received are Balcony, Far Left, Row L, seats 389 and 391. I looked up the seats on the seating chart and I am shocked at the location. When I bought the tickets I knew that I was going to leave the seating up to the discretion of them. However, I am extremely dissapointed at the tickets I received. They are so far back, and all the way to the left, that I will be surprised if I will be able to enjoy the show. I saved a lot of money in order to buy these expensive tickets, and I am devastated that I received such seats.

I am honestly chagrined because I trusted that they would give me good seats. I can be flexible with dates, but if I have to stick with the tickets I have, I feel like I will have wasted $170, which is an extremely large amount of money. Plus, the $50 worth of restaurant giftcards didn't work

modified review This review was modified by ruthieg606 on December 07 2014 05:26:10 PM

"Bought "$40 for a $400 Hotel and Resort eGift Card Featuring Hilton Hotels World Wide" from specials.restaurant.com.
When I tried using this gift card at hotelandresortcard.com to book my $400 hotel, they were charging for $45 from my gift card and rest all i have to pay from my credit card. It was feeling like being fooled and send email to restaurant.com to take gift card back and return my money.
They said they cant give my money back instead they give another gift card.

Big scam run by Special.restaurant.com and hotelandresortcard.com, I lost my $40.

modified review This review was modified by Big_C on December 05 2014 09:33:37 PM

"This all started on Oct 1st 2014 when I moved to a new home 80 miles away from my old stomping grounds. At this point in time I logged into my restaurant.com account and attempted to exchange the certificates for restuarants in my old neighborhood with ones in the new area I am living in. After several failed attempts to exchange certificates following the procedures outlined on restuarant.com's help section I chalked it up to the website having a glitch. A week later I came back to try again, still no luck, two weeks later, three weeks later still no luck. So november rolls around I try a couple more times off and on and still nothing. So I utilize the help contact on the restaurant.com website, explain my situation in detail on 11.24.2014, hilghlighting the fact that I had followed the instructions on how to exchange a certificate multiple times and that it was not working. Shortly after I sent the help request I was sent a reply by somebody named Ashley Lanham, the reply was nothing but a carbon copy of the istructions posted on the website on how to exchange certificates. The very same instructions I had followed and had informed the company that I had followed them in an attempt to exchange. I responded to Ashley Lanham on 11.24.2014 explaining all this again and never received anything further. On 11.25.2014 I sent another email to restaurant.com stating everything that had already happened and that the exchange function was not working, I took the time to highlight the fact that I had already tried this multiple times and that it still was not working and even attatched the previous emails. They responded on 11.25.2014 with nothing other than the instructions posted on their site for exchanging certificates. So I logged onto the BBB and found their phone number and contacted them by phone on 11.25.2014 and spoke to a person who called himself Raul. I explained to Raul that I wanted a refund and I was tired of the games his company was playing, I informed him that I needed to speak to a supervisor. Raul told me that his supervisor was not in and that they had a no refund policy, but I should feel free to utilize the website to exchange the certificates. I then told Raul that I did not believe that a business would be in operation with no supervisor, and that I wanted to speak to a supervisor, the boss or the owner of the company as I was certain that he was not the end all be all of company decisions. I was placed on hold. Raul came back on and stated his boss was in a meeting, I then asked Raul why he had told me that there was no supervisor there and then immediately changed it to my boss is in a meeting. He responded with " you never asked for a supervisor, you just told me you wanted to talk to my boss or the owner." Good job Raul, you fail at customer serivce by the way. Raul also refused to provide me with a direct link to a supervisor, said he did not have a phone number, and there was no way for me to speak with them. Raul would also not provide a name of a supervisor. Put on hold again. Raul then informed me that he had talked to his boss and they were waiting to hear from me. I then asked him to transfer me, he said no and that I should email them at myboss@resaurant.com. He said again they were waiting for me to contact them, I said ok transfer me then to their phone. At this point in time Raul was kind enough to transfer me to an extension with a pre recorded message stating that restaurant.com was closed and to call back during normal business hours. Strange since I called them during there normal business hours.

Your Desired Resolution:
In my eyes there is nothing this company can do to make this right other that refund me 100%. I have no desire to deal with this company any more as they possess absolutely no customer service skills at all. They blindly relpy to help emails obviously not reading anything their customers are writing. Their customer support phone line operators, in my first hand experience are nothing more than liars and game players. To me this business is now nothing more than a way to scam people out of their hard earned money. Right now my opinion is that they are thieves, and they have stolen from me as they took money for a service they are now not willing to honor.

modified review This review was modified by af123456789 on November 25 2014 08:47:50 AM

"I join those who find a certificate not accepted at restaruant ans promised. They offer"100% customer satisfaction", but do not answer phones and only offer exchanges when a refund is demanded."

"I would never trust restaurant.com again. I tried two restaurants on here, Beijing and Tokyo and Alan's of Boscawen restaurant. Both restaurants did not honor this restaurant.com certificate!! Buyer beware!"

Share Restaurant.com's store rating

Restaurant.com is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Restaurant.com is not a merchant member
Restaurant.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!