Rakuten Reviews - rakuten.co.jp Ratings at ResellerRatings

Rating 0.70/10 66 reviews

Rakuten is not a merchant member
Rakuten does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!

"I bought two pendant lights from this company. When they came they were not the color I expected. One box was opened and the other was not. The lights were never taken out of the box completely. I returned them in the original boxes with 3 days of receiving. I am being charged a 20% restocking fee and because the shipping was free they are taking that out of my credit as well. I am shipping them back on my own UPS dollar. What a rip off. I will never order from this company again. Bad, bad, bad. very bad!!!!!"

"I purchased 4 Coleman lanterns and was sent 4 lantern mantles instead. The order was filled by Wayfair. Wayfair said it was a mistake and will not send me the lanterns. The email confirmation has one order number, the package another one. Some kind of scam going on here. Both companies were no help. Do not order from either."

modified review This review was modified by EastFlorida on April 09 2014 12:04:42 PM

"I have used it first time. I have ordered for Swissgear maxxim laptop bag pack and I got swissgear MARs backpack that was of half the price. I have returned it , hope I get my money back.
Worst is Rakuten does not have any phone number to talk to. that's horrible....Other part is , Rakuten points can't be used with Paypal.......why? These are the thing that make me think Rakuten is worst place to do shopping..

modified review This review was modified by vkumarsh on April 05 2014 05:13:28 PM

"If you are reading this and thinking about buying from Rakuten Company - I beg you - DO NOT. This Company is the worst Company I have ever bought from. You will lose your money and not receive the goods, simple as that. These people are thieves, no less. DO NOT let them steal your hard earned money. Buy elsewhere. You were warned... Good luck."

modified review This review was modified by padwina1 on April 03 2014 02:04:12 AM

"If you are looking to buy an item for a considerably low price, then Rakuten is place to look at. But do not attempt to buy. Your money might be as well thrown away.

I bought an Philips Toothbrush heads, for amount of about $15. Someone name "Sandy" sent me a totally different set. When I tried to find what should I do next, e-mail from someone "Katy" advised me that I can keep an item for 15% less comparing to what I paid or pay my own return shipping for that item.

Why would I need an item that I have no use for? After that all communications went to halt. No emails; customer service on the phone advised me to contact seller, which is some other company, somehow related to Rakuten.

I filed complaint with PayPal, let's see what will happen.

I might be a scam to some point. You order an item, company sent you anything, and you stuck with additional expenses of returning it. If you don't return it then you wasted money. And of course they are sorry for the mistake. $15 here and $10 there, if you get traffic then its not that bed.

modified review This review was modified by stranger22 on March 26 2014 06:05:40 PM

"BUYER BEWARE OF THIS CO STEALING YOUR Credit/Debit card! Go google it! Rakuten Fraud! 2 days after purchasing a steam cleaner (that I have yet to receive) there was 1400 in charges!!! 1275 to groupon, 90 to proflowers, and 1.00 to new york times digital, 68 to intuit. Thankfully I checked it when I did as I was able to get my card closed out right away, contact proflowers and NYT, I tried numerous times to contact Intuit, but you can't get a human on the phone. I contacted Rakuten, and days later they have yet to respond to me.

GO SHOP ELSEWHERE! They are doing NOTHING about this problem that they have been having for quite awhile now.

"These people are thieves, they credit you their so called super points and then taken them away quietly. This is cheating!"

"I tried to buy a gopro hero 3+ silver from Rakuten because they were advertising it for $229.99. I was a little skeptical but did it anyway. Sure enough, 2 days later I heard nothing about my order. I called them and found out that "their system" held my order because of something with my credit card yet they never contacted me about this. They finally got the order going and after checking up on the third party seller I found out that it was billed at over $300 anyway! What a flipping mockery. Do not buy from RAKUTEN.COM. You will be dissatisfied."

modified review This review was modified by blinkypanama on March 21 2014 10:39:40 AM

"They do not ship to Hawaii! It should say so when filling in zip code."

" I have been financially devastated by a scam through Rakuten. I am a small business owner and full time stay at home mom of two young toddlers. My husband is a professional musician and drum instructor. He is very talented at photography and I wanted to buy him a nice Canon camera so he could make additional income for our family since his drum teaching business had slowed down quite a bit. I found an incredible deal on Rakuten and was a bit skeptical of the seller because when I went to check out and there was a $299 shipping charge. So I sent an email to the “real customer service” Rakuten and they replied back the following to ease my concern about the seller (see quote below at end of this email) in essence saying that he was a verified seller and encouraged I reach out to them directly. Anyways, from their this “verified” and highly rated seller told me that the order had been processed through Rakuten and to check my spam mail for order details and directions. Anyways, it was a fake Rakuten document with order support link that went directly to the thieves...so the rest of my correspondence was through them thinking I was talking to customer support at Rakuten (the order had links that clicked to customer support at Rakuten). Anyways, after much hesitation and many emails being confused on why I could not process through a credit card they said it was a safe transaction and that this particular seller only accepted Wire Transfers. So I told the fake customer support at Rakuten I was confused because the on Rakuten’s real website I saw credit cards were accepted. After researching and realizing that Rakuten also did take Wire transfers as a form of payment I thought ok this is just a weird way of purchasing. The fake Rakuten CS said they were a verified seller and had been with Rauketen for 7 years and I did notice on the real Rakuten Website they were highly rated with good reviews. Furthermore the theives told me that the Wire Transfer would be held with a Rakuten Agent until I received the camera. I know I feel like a fool now but I did research Rakuten and saw this was a really big company like Ebay and again over and over again Rakuten encouraged me to work with the seller directly.

So now I am out of all of our money to pay my families bills is gone. I contacted Tasha at the fraud department and I told her I did a wire transfer...and then she immediately said where to Italy? I said yes, and she said I don’t know how they keep getting on their site. So this seems to happen all the time. Anyways, I was mad...she said I had no recourse and that Rakuten could not give me my money back since the order was not put through the company. Don’t you think think that Rakuten has some responsibility in the fact that their so called verified sellers are completely fake fraudulent accounts? From here I went back on the site to see what was going on and did some research...and now I see the same scam is back up on a different name (I have proof of this because I took pictures of the site and also set ups a sting operation to see if it was the same sellers and indeed it was) So I sent Tasha an email notifying her that they have done nothing to stop the fraud at Rakuten. Within five minutes the Director of Operations, Nick Thompson, calls me….which is funny that for over 24 hours I was waiting for a manager to contact me back. Now I had Nick Thompson calling me asking for the new name of the account. I said I will help you out if you can go back to your guarantee that I will get my money back from your company since I never received my product. He said, well, I can’t guarantee that but if you tell me the whole story then maybe I can help you. I said you know the whole story and he then stated he needed the new name of the seller scamming now so he could get the full story to tell to the CEO. Don’t trust him at all and was a total jerk to me on the phone. Well, it’s funny of the thousands of sellers on there I found them pretty easily...I should be working for the fraud department at Rakuten so maybe someone could pay me some salary from Rakuten and I can tell you exactly what these scam artists are doing. Anyways, I was pissed off...I mean seriously you are going to let the scam artists sell more fraud to the public out there to save you $1400. I told him it’s a million dollar company and you are not going to help a victim out and the general public out. He said big or small companies have to watch their numbers no matter how much money they make. I guess he is willing to let the scam artist stay on the site so he can save money for the company. Furthermore, I asked the Director of Operations, what the process is for seller verification and he said he wasn’t exactly sure and that he’d have to research it. Anyways, this company has a huge PR problem. I am going to tell my story to whoever will listen including the Attorney General , the higher ups of Rakuten, and the media. The customer service so far has taken no responsibility for this breach of security and the site is now completely run by thieves. I hope you are able to notify the CEO and top management of what is going on Rakuten site. Thank you for your time and sorry for any anger that might come across this email it is not directed at you.

Also, it seems that no one at Customer Service is aware of these scams , as Wella, a CS person I spoke to several times over the phone told me there was still a chance I might get the camera even though I Wire Transferred a person in Italy. Why isn’t there training and an alert going out to all personnel at Rakuten warning of Wire Transfers. The website also has no warnings of Wire Transfer payments like Craigslist does...it just says they accept Wire Transfers as a form of payment.

Thanks for your time,
Jeanette “Jenny” Wilson
I am sorry for the confusion about getting the order placed for SKU 245330120.

In an effort to provide our customers the broadest selection of products, Rakuten offers listings from independent sellers in our marketplace. When you place a Rakuten Marketplace order, you make a purchase directly from the seller throughRakuten's checkout process. Rakuten charges your method of payment and coordinates the shipment with the seller, who ships the order directly to you.

Your security is our priority, so Rakuten does not share your payment information with a seller. We also take pride in carefully protecting our customers with our Marketplace Guarantee should any issue arise in the process of receiving your order.

We encourage you to reach out to the sellers to confirm any information regarding the item or the independent seller's policies. You may contact Ballhogjoni Enterprises via email at:

BLH.Enterprises@aol.com

You may contact them directly about the shipping fee of the item they have listed in our website as at is currently offered at higher price than the $11 shipping charge mentioned in their email.

Rakuten holds its marketplace sellers to high standards of quality, so you can expect a response back from the seller by the close of the next business day.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.

Sincerely,

Wella | Customer Support
Rakuten.com Shopping

"Ordered a Dell 2007FP monitor, was informed that the item shipped after the transaction was processed through PayPal, and then, two weeks later, after the monitor had not arrived, I checked the shipping status only to find that the item has not shipped. When questioned about the issue, Rakuten told me to contact the seller! They processed the PayPal payment, but they claim not to be the seller. Absurd!!"

modified review This review was modified by gmvgmvgmv on March 09 2014 05:21:04 PM

"I will never buy from Rakuten again. I responded to an unsolicited ad from them for a laptop. After waiting 4 days without any update on my order (status showed 'processing'), I finally contacted them via email (the only way) and got an automated response. Then a day later, I got an email from them saying they cancelled the order blaming paypal not approving my payment. I called Paypal and Paypal told me they approved it and the money already went to Rakuten. With me on the phone, Paypal called Rakuten and was bounced around Rakuten for 45 minutes with lots of holding/no response or busy signal. Finally Paypal insisted on talking to the supervisor who after a long delay said the order was refused by Rakuten verification department because my ship-to address is different fromn the bill-to address. Now I own 2 homes and I happen to be at the other home address which has been in Paypal record for years ( I have bought many items shipped to this address and paid via paypal without any problem). Rakuten has the worst customer service and their attitude is that the customer needs them, they don't need the customer. I ordered the same item via Amzon.com for the same price and no shipping charge. Please be careful when dealing with Rakuten or just simply avoid them"

Rating 8/104/5

"I was search for a price on a great cordless drill recommended by Consumers Reports and Google showed the lowest price from this company. I think they used to be Buy.com but have ben taken over. Well anyways, I bought the drill because their price was the lowest from a reputable seller on the web. Turns out my wife got me the same model for Christmas before mine arrived... well I contacted Rakuten to return it and they were friendly and fast with the refund. They do have great service.
L.

"Terrible online experience. Stay away from Rakuten.com "

modified review This review was modified by Mishania1 on January 28 2014 10:41:57 AM

"Worst ever online seller. I bought an iPad, it is not like described, many dents on back and sides. Will not buy anything from Rakuten and Chubbiestech (real seller)."

modified review This review was modified by Jonans on January 22 2014 07:05:49 PM