Product & services pricing Rating 3.87/10 3.87/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 4.06/10 4.06/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.55/10 5.55/10
    Customer service: Rating 4.88/10 4.88/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 4.38/10 4.38/10

"I would never in a million years recommend ProtectCell to anyone. I used this service to replace a broken iPhone and received a fake iPhone in return. Confirmed to be fake by an official Apple store. My local Verizon store informed me that they've had multiple complaints of the same issue. When confronted with the issue over the phone, ProtectCell offered to replace it, if I were willing to pay the $150 fee to get a new replacement. They've already ripped me off for $350 and will never receive another cent from this customer. Even in my worst nightmares, I could not imagine a worse sense of business ethics. ProtectCell is an absolute scam of a company. Do yourself a favor and don't even consider doing business with them."

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-24-2014

“Hello Kingjr5,

That's definitely not the sort of customer experience we're shooting for. Regarding your issue with the replacement device, we don't send out 'fake' iPhones, though occasionally when demand for a particular model is especially high, we do send out refurbished devices. However, regardless of if your device is brand new or refurbished, no pre-existing issue should necessitate paying a second admin fee. I've forwarded your issue on to our Customer Support manager, who should be reaching out to you shortly. Thank you!”

"HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Do not get protection with them. I never even wanted to insurance. Verizon gave me a month free. I called 3 days late to cancel and they wouldn't refund me. My mom called to cancel the insurance and they accused her of not being my mom. The supervisor was rude and unhelpful. "

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-24-2014

“Hi mahta123,

Well! That certainly sounds like a less than ideal customer service experience. I'd like to look into your issue in more detail, but need some more information to do so. Kindly send an email to Marketing@protectcell.com with your name and plan number, or the phone number registered to your plan. Thank you!”

"For the most part I have had a positive experiences with PC.
The customer service i received while on the phone with them was good.
I wish however the website was a bit more robust when it comes to a few things. 1- when i find my plan, give me a list to remind me of all charges.( i was told at the cell store, but i forget quickly)
2 - give me a better way to do the WHOLE transaction over the web. Sometimes i do not have time to do it over the phone. I feel like i could do it more quickly on the website.
3 - have the website do a better job of helping me find my plan/device (search capabilities?) I take care of a business plan, which has several devices on it. It is hard to manage at times.

At times its confusing if i should return my broken device or not.
The service rep on the phone says not to, but i always get a return envelope to send the broken device back.

"I have been extremely dissatisfied with this service. The fee of $199 plus the monthly is outrageous for how long it takes to receive the service. I put in an order for a replacement device twice, and both time canaceled after not receiving my phone for OVER A MONTH! Twice! The customer service was horrible as well. I could barely hear the guy talking and he did not care for my issue at all. I was trying to be patient and never got upset, but after I'd had enough, I just quit the service altogether. I would never recommend this service to anyone. "

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-12-2014

“Hi Ranzy642,

One of the things we pride ourselves on is our quick turnaround time for getting customers replacement devices. However, it certainly sounds like something has not gone according to plan in your case. I'd like to look into your issue in more detail, but I'll need some information to do so. If you would send an email with your name and plan number to Marketing@protectcell.com, I'll get started on that right away. Thank you!”

"I'm just mad because nowhere on the site does it say I would receive a REFURBISHED phone. They claim that the phones are remanufactured (basically meaning refurbished) when you talk to them on the phone. Way back when I first got the plan I wasn't even told about the $150 replacement fee, which is a ridiculous amount for a refurbished phone that isn't even apple certified. I was already upset about the $150 fee I wasn't told about, which seems to be a problem for a lot of people, but getting a refurbished phone is ridiculous. When I received the phone today I realized that they hadn't even completely cleared the phone, about 5 other people's emails popped up when I went to log into my apple account. The phone was in a pathetic plastic wrap that in no way protected the phone. Also, when I talk on the phone I sound like I'm "talking through a tin can", which a few people have told me. When my insurance from protect cell ends I will never get their service again. It's pathetic that they pull this stuff on people. "

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-12-2014

“Hi shelbymf5,

It sounds like there are a couple issues at play here. Let's start with the admin fee (or replacement fee), which is indeed an inherent part of all our plans.

First and foremost, please understand that we in no way condone or encourage any sort of deceptive practice that merely seeks to 'get the sale'. The vast majority of wireless store reps who sell our plans do so in an accurate and upfront manner, which includes providing information to customers like yourself about how our plans work. And although we provide training and informational materials to all the stores where are plans are sold, the unfortunate truth is that on occasion certain details are left out in order to increase the likelihood that a plan will be purchased. If that's what happened her, then you have our apologies.

As to your replacement device, we make every effort to provide customers with a brand new device that's exactly the same as the one they're trying to replace. Sometimes the demand for a particular model is quite high, and when replacement orders come in for that model we opt to do whatever it takes to get customers a working phone ASAP.

However, a replacement device that doesn't work properly is never acceptable. I'd like to get some more information about that portion of your post; if you could send an email with your name and plan # to Marketing@protectcell.com, it will make it much easier for me to investigate. Thank you!”

"The service was excellent but the replacement phone's main button did not work nor did the speaker. Am in process of receiving the second replacement."

"Second replacement in the mail and really happy with the customer service responses I've been getting. Will update the review end of week"

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-06-2014

“Hello LessThanAmused,

That certainly doesn't sound like the type of customer experience we strive for. While there are occasionally issues with our replacement devices, receiving a 'fake' phone is definitely a new and unique issue. I'd like to look into this in more detail, but to do so I'll need some additional information. If you could kindly send an email with your name, plan number, and the phone number of the device that was in need of replacement to Marketing@Protectcell.com, it will be much easier to figure out what happened. Thank you!”

"You can bet I will be telling my friends to never use Protectcell. I paid the upfront free for the protection plan but when I went to get my phone replaced I was told that there was another $150 fee. I was NEVER told about this fee beforehand.

On the day my replacement phone was sent to me I tried to return it. I was told repeatedly over the phone that I would be able to send it back and get a refund but every time I was transferred the call would either disconnect or the person at the other line would tell me I couldn't be helped. All told I spent about 6 hours on the phone being transferred from person to person and nothing came of it.

A few months later I finally got the courage to try again and after being transferred to the corporate office I was told that I had missed the 30 day deadline to get a refund. Even though I had been stonewalled on day one and, once again, I was NEVER told about a 30 day deadline. I am really upset. As far as I am concerned, these people scammed $300 dollars from me. I am not happy.

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-06-2014

“Hi Ethan,

It sounds like the admin fee that's an inherent part of all our protection plans came as a bit of a surprise. For that, I apologize. Although we make every effort to provide the many wireless store reps with both training and plan-related educational materials--specifically so customers like yourself truly understand how our plans work--the unfortunate reality is that occasionally certain details (like the admin fee) get left out of the sales presentation in order to simply 'make the sale'. Please understand that this is never a practice that we condone, and we're constantly working on ways to reduce and eventually eliminate this from happening.

Regarding the issues you had with actually returning the replacement device, I've forwarded your information on to our Customer Support manager who should be reaching out to you shortly.”

"This company helped me get my life back on track when I lost my cell phone. I use my phone everyday for work and it was awful to not have it. They got it shipped in 3 days and it was a brand new device. The price was very low compared to working with my cell phone provider and I will continue to work with them in the future. Thank you for all your help Protectcell!"

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-05-2014

ProtectCell1, Protectcell.com rep has responded

“Helping customers get protected and stay connected is what we're all about! Thanks for the high praise, celine-46587!

PS- Good catch on the typo. Apologies! Especially if you don't like cats.”

"ProtectCell has been amazing!
All their customer service has been incredible - very understanding and efficient.
My plan is absolutely worth the price; I've used their services a few times, and I've saved hundreds of dollars even with the (relatively small) price for a new device.
I will absolutely continue to be a customer, and from the horror stories I've heard from people about carrier protection plans, ProtectCell is the way to go for everyone.

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-05-2014

ProtectCell1, Protectcell.com rep has responded

“Thank you for the kind words, coffeegirl32! Happy we could be of use.”

"While the customer service provider I spoke with was nice enough I was sold this "insurance" option as a way to save money... I was told that by buying this service for the same price as my phone (an additional $199) would mean that I was eligible for a new phone should my phone break at anytime and would mean no monthly fees or additional "service charge" at that time... They failed to mention that to claim this replacement phone I would have to pay AN ADDITIONAL $150 service charge to Protectcell. "

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-03-2014

“Hi jmutchnik,

It sounds like you were a bit surprised by the admin fee that's an inherent part of all our plans. I do apologize if you feel blindsided, but please understand we absolutely do not support or condone leaving certain details (like the admin fee) out of a sales presentation in order to make our plans more attractive to customers like yourselves. In fact, we make it a point to provide both training and educational materials to all the various wireless store reps who sell our plans, specifically so they can provide customers with a detailed and accurate representation of how ProtectCELL coverage works. And although such incidences are happening less and less, unfortunately it does still happen occasionally. I'd like to investigate your issue in more detail; if you could send an email with your name, plan #, and request # to Marketing@protectcell.com it would make it much easier to do so. Thank you!”

"Mixed reviews on this service. We have five smartphones on a family plan and have purchased the insurance for the past 4 years. In the beginning we had great experiences with a couple exchanges. Recently, we attempted to exchange a Samsung Note II phone and have received 3 phones that do not work. Worst case is now they are denying a replacement because one of the phones we returned had a cracked screen. It did not have a cracked screen when it left us. My issue is the cheap plastic envelope they gave us to return the phone. It offered no protection of the screen. The response from customer service, the package was not torn. So, now we are out a smart phone and $150. Sorry, will not use your service again."

"Replacement arrived as promised and on time. Customer service was effective and courteous. Phone was in good condition but a refurbished phone should should not cost $150 for a 3 generation old technology phone."

"Great customer service! Got help immediately and helped me with the problem. Received my sons replacement phone within 2 days & works great. Couldn't be happier with he service & protection they provide. Thanks!"

"Ive had nothing but a dreadful experience with this service.

I have had to return 3 device for malfunctioning and each time i must send them the device first, they inspect it and then ship me a new one, takes 2 weeks.

You can have them ship you a new device immediately if you front 200 dollars , which i think is unreasonable, if i wasn't dealing with refurbished devices i wouldn't make a fus, but it is their fault the "inspected and tested" devices are failing,

This plan is to expensive for refurbished devices, that just aren't up to par.

Protectcell.com is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Protectcell.com is a merchant member
Protectcell.com participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 1,916 merchant members.