Product & services pricing Rating 3.61/10 3.61/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.45/10 5.45/10
    Customer service: Rating 4.68/10 4.68/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 4.00/10 4.00/10

"Horrible Service !

I purchased a ProtectCELL 2 yr plan with an iPhone 5 on Oct 5, 2012. I was told i could return the device after 2 yrs in good shape for $200 after getting a newer model. On Oct 30, 2014 i ordered an iPhone 6 from the same retailer. The phone was backordered. My retailer told me that ProtectCell would buy back the phone under their "buy back" program for $165. Regardless this wasn't the $200 i was told previously, i was given instructions to call ProtectCELL. Both Customer Service AND Management REFUSED to participate in their own buy back program even though it's not the consumer's fault the phone was backordered. To have 2 levels of a company inform a customer that the company doesn't care nor value their own policies in unheard of.

I was essentially told "take a walk, we don't back our product" by Protectcell. I strongly suggest using your phone companies insurance and not a 3rd party company like Protectcell who could care less about their customers,

P.S. I emailed them about this horrible experience and surprisingly ... never received a reply. Terrible company right to the end.

modified review Rep reply posted Dec-09-2014

“Hi JamesAinNJ,

I'm not sure if you misunderstood how our BuyBack feature works, or were misinformed by the rep who first sold you our plan, but there is indeed a two-year window of availability for the BuyBack feature. Actually, I believe it coincides with the two years of your plan; so if your plan expired on October 5th, and you tried to file a BuyBack claim on October 30th, that would indeed be outside the length of the plan contract.

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with your new phone being backordered. Once your plan expired, your opportunity to trade in your old device via BuyBack expired as well. And the sliding scale for trade-in value is also explained on our website; the $200 you were quoted would've applied had you wanted to do a BuyBack trade-in during the first 12 months of the plan. That's not us refusing to participate in our own program, that's us abiding by the terms of the plan.

We absolutely care about our customers--in fact, taking care of them is our #1 priority. And while we never claim to be perfect, I hope no one here would ever tell a customer, either current or past, to 'take a walk'. To that end, I would like to investigate your situation in more detail, especially regarding the customer support members you spoke to, but I'll need a bit more information first. Kindly send an email to Marketing@protectcell.com with your name and plan number, and I'll be happy to look into your issue and see what we can do. Thank you!”

"I feel like a complete idiot for not researching this fraud before purchasing a plan. We received a replacement phone in a case that is obviously not a iPhone case. The screen cracked on day one. When we protested we were told we would have to pay another $150 for a replacement. After talking to a "higher" up supervisor, he told me they would overnight me another phone. Turns out he was just telling me a story to get me off the phone, because an hour later I received an email asking me to call, that they needed more info before sending out the new phone. I called and they told me that they were not sending a new phone until I sent them the fake phone first. After reading the reviews here I am not sure why anyone would fall for this scam!"

modified review Rep reply posted Dec-09-2014

“Hi meisterd,

It certainly sounds like a couple wires got crossed with your replacement process. I'd like to look into your issue a bit more, but to do so I'll need some more information. Kindly send an email to Marketing@protectcell.com with your name and plan #, and I'll do just that. Thank you!”

"I have had to replace 2 phones with this company. Nothing but Professional Customer Service. Received Phones in 2 days with No Problems. The added expense for the Insurance is well worth the Price when Having to make a claim. "

"Working with protect cell was very easy. I received my replacement phone within 2 days"

"WORST COMPANY EVER!!!!!!! I called to cancel my service due to no concern of theirs. I spoke with I hope the rudest person there, because it would be near impossible for anyone to be more rude than her. I called 3 days after the draft date and they refused to refund my money. I asked if I was just out $22 and she said yes. I called again and spoke to someone who had better customer service skills than Evelyn who advised me the service cancels immediately once you request it even if it is the day after your payment is drafted and you will not receive your refund. ABOSULTELY ABSURD!!!! Would NOT recommend this company to anyone. I will also be in contact with Verizon who helped me set up this asinine company!!!!!!!!!!! "

modified review Rep reply posted Dec-01-2014

“Hello auntlulu1980,

It sounds like you had an issue canceling your plan? There's a little bit of information missing here, though I'd like to look into your issue in more detail. Kindly send an email with your name and plan number, and I'll do just that. Thank you!”

"I would never in a million years recommend ProtectCell to anyone. I used this service to replace a broken iPhone and received a fake iPhone in return. Confirmed to be fake by an official Apple store. My local Verizon store informed me that they've had multiple complaints of the same issue. When confronted with the issue over the phone, ProtectCell offered to replace it, if I were willing to pay the $150 fee to get a new replacement. They've already ripped me off for $350 and will never receive another cent from this customer. Even in my worst nightmares, I could not imagine a worse sense of business ethics. ProtectCell is an absolute scam of a company. Do yourself a favor and don't even consider doing business with them."

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-24-2014

“Hello Kingjr5,

That's definitely not the sort of customer experience we're shooting for. Regarding your issue with the replacement device, we don't send out 'fake' iPhones, though occasionally when demand for a particular model is especially high, we do send out refurbished devices. However, regardless of if your device is brand new or refurbished, no pre-existing issue should necessitate paying a second admin fee. I've forwarded your issue on to our Customer Support manager, who should be reaching out to you shortly. Thank you!”

"HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Do not get protection with them. I never even wanted to insurance. Verizon gave me a month free. I called 3 days late to cancel and they wouldn't refund me. My mom called to cancel the insurance and they accused her of not being my mom. The supervisor was rude and unhelpful. "

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-24-2014

“Hi mahta123,

Well! That certainly sounds like a less than ideal customer service experience. I'd like to look into your issue in more detail, but need some more information to do so. Kindly send an email to Marketing@protectcell.com with your name and plan number, or the phone number registered to your plan. Thank you!”

"For the most part I have had a positive experiences with PC.
The customer service i received while on the phone with them was good.
I wish however the website was a bit more robust when it comes to a few things. 1- when i find my plan, give me a list to remind me of all charges.( i was told at the cell store, but i forget quickly)
2 - give me a better way to do the WHOLE transaction over the web. Sometimes i do not have time to do it over the phone. I feel like i could do it more quickly on the website.
3 - have the website do a better job of helping me find my plan/device (search capabilities?) I take care of a business plan, which has several devices on it. It is hard to manage at times.

At times its confusing if i should return my broken device or not.
The service rep on the phone says not to, but i always get a return envelope to send the broken device back.

"I have been extremely dissatisfied with this service. The fee of $199 plus the monthly is outrageous for how long it takes to receive the service. I put in an order for a replacement device twice, and both time canaceled after not receiving my phone for OVER A MONTH! Twice! The customer service was horrible as well. I could barely hear the guy talking and he did not care for my issue at all. I was trying to be patient and never got upset, but after I'd had enough, I just quit the service altogether. I would never recommend this service to anyone. "

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-12-2014

“Hi Ranzy642,

One of the things we pride ourselves on is our quick turnaround time for getting customers replacement devices. However, it certainly sounds like something has not gone according to plan in your case. I'd like to look into your issue in more detail, but I'll need some information to do so. If you would send an email with your name and plan number to Marketing@protectcell.com, I'll get started on that right away. Thank you!”

"I'm just mad because nowhere on the site does it say I would receive a REFURBISHED phone. They claim that the phones are remanufactured (basically meaning refurbished) when you talk to them on the phone. Way back when I first got the plan I wasn't even told about the $150 replacement fee, which is a ridiculous amount for a refurbished phone that isn't even apple certified. I was already upset about the $150 fee I wasn't told about, which seems to be a problem for a lot of people, but getting a refurbished phone is ridiculous. When I received the phone today I realized that they hadn't even completely cleared the phone, about 5 other people's emails popped up when I went to log into my apple account. The phone was in a pathetic plastic wrap that in no way protected the phone. Also, when I talk on the phone I sound like I'm "talking through a tin can", which a few people have told me. When my insurance from protect cell ends I will never get their service again. It's pathetic that they pull this stuff on people. "

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-12-2014

“Hi shelbymf5,

It sounds like there are a couple issues at play here. Let's start with the admin fee (or replacement fee), which is indeed an inherent part of all our plans.

First and foremost, please understand that we in no way condone or encourage any sort of deceptive practice that merely seeks to 'get the sale'. The vast majority of wireless store reps who sell our plans do so in an accurate and upfront manner, which includes providing information to customers like yourself about how our plans work. And although we provide training and informational materials to all the stores where are plans are sold, the unfortunate truth is that on occasion certain details are left out in order to increase the likelihood that a plan will be purchased. If that's what happened her, then you have our apologies.

As to your replacement device, we make every effort to provide customers with a brand new device that's exactly the same as the one they're trying to replace. Sometimes the demand for a particular model is quite high, and when replacement orders come in for that model we opt to do whatever it takes to get customers a working phone ASAP.

However, a replacement device that doesn't work properly is never acceptable. I'd like to get some more information about that portion of your post; if you could send an email with your name and plan # to Marketing@protectcell.com, it will make it much easier for me to investigate. Thank you!”

"The service was excellent but the replacement phone's main button did not work nor did the speaker. Am in process of receiving the second replacement."

"Second replacement in the mail and really happy with the customer service responses I've been getting. Will update the review end of week"

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-06-2014

“Hello LessThanAmused,

That certainly doesn't sound like the type of customer experience we strive for. While there are occasionally issues with our replacement devices, receiving a 'fake' phone is definitely a new and unique issue. I'd like to look into this in more detail, but to do so I'll need some additional information. If you could kindly send an email with your name, plan number, and the phone number of the device that was in need of replacement to Marketing@Protectcell.com, it will be much easier to figure out what happened. Thank you!”

"You can bet I will be telling my friends to never use Protectcell. I paid the upfront free for the protection plan but when I went to get my phone replaced I was told that there was another $150 fee. I was NEVER told about this fee beforehand.

On the day my replacement phone was sent to me I tried to return it. I was told repeatedly over the phone that I would be able to send it back and get a refund but every time I was transferred the call would either disconnect or the person at the other line would tell me I couldn't be helped. All told I spent about 6 hours on the phone being transferred from person to person and nothing came of it.

A few months later I finally got the courage to try again and after being transferred to the corporate office I was told that I had missed the 30 day deadline to get a refund. Even though I had been stonewalled on day one and, once again, I was NEVER told about a 30 day deadline. I am really upset. As far as I am concerned, these people scammed $300 dollars from me. I am not happy.

Edit: Despite being promised by whoever responded to this review that I would be contacted by Customer Support, I never was. I'm still waiting a month later.

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-06-2014

“Hi Ethan,

It sounds like the admin fee that's an inherent part of all our protection plans came as a bit of a surprise. For that, I apologize. Although we make every effort to provide the many wireless store reps with both training and plan-related educational materials--specifically so customers like yourself truly understand how our plans work--the unfortunate reality is that occasionally certain details (like the admin fee) get left out of the sales presentation in order to simply 'make the sale'. Please understand that this is never a practice that we condone, and we're constantly working on ways to reduce and eventually eliminate this from happening.

Regarding the issues you had with actually returning the replacement device, I've forwarded your information on to our Customer Support manager who should be reaching out to you shortly.”

"This company helped me get my life back on track when I lost my cell phone. I use my phone everyday for work and it was awful to not have it. They got it shipped in 3 days and it was a brand new device. The price was very low compared to working with my cell phone provider and I will continue to work with them in the future. Thank you for all your help Protectcell!"

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-05-2014

ProtectCell1, Protectcell.com rep has responded

“Helping customers get protected and stay connected is what we're all about! Thanks for the high praise, celine-46587!

PS- Good catch on the typo. Apologies! Especially if you don't like cats.”

"ProtectCell has been amazing!
All their customer service has been incredible - very understanding and efficient.
My plan is absolutely worth the price; I've used their services a few times, and I've saved hundreds of dollars even with the (relatively small) price for a new device.
I will absolutely continue to be a customer, and from the horror stories I've heard from people about carrier protection plans, ProtectCell is the way to go for everyone.

modified review Rep reply posted Nov-05-2014

ProtectCell1, Protectcell.com rep has responded

“Thank you for the kind words, coffeegirl32! Happy we could be of use.”

Protectcell.com is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Protectcell.com is a merchant member
Protectcell.com participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 1,919 merchant members.