Product & services pricing Rating 3.82/10 3.82/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 4.29/10 4.29/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.57/10 5.57/10
    Customer service: Rating 5.10/10 5.10/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 4.52/10 4.52/10

"Horrible experience. $150 administrative fee to replace my broken phone, which is high in addition to the $200 for insurance, but fine. The problem is, that for $150, I got a refurbished iPhone that had a home button that didn't work. So I called and they sent me another phone....which was missing the ENTIRE metal back, as it came off with the packaging when the Verizon rep unwrapped it. So then, I call them, after two trips to the Verizon store and now my second trip to the post office to return them the broken phone they sent me, and they tell me that not only will I not have another working phone for 3 days since they "can't" overnight something since it is a Friday, they furthermore will only refund me $25 of my administrative fee. The third replacement refurbished phone should be arriving tomorrow, fingers crossed third time's the charm and it actually works. "

"Many tries to get my phone replaced. Protect tried to tell me that I didnt pay for my plan. I promtly sent my bank statements showing the deductions but still cant get any response. I have been placed on hold for hours only to be hung up on. Was promised call backs for the last 3 days and still no call backs and when I call in they are rude and do not understand the urgency. Last lady I talked to said maybe it would be corrected by next week. This company is a joke. Stay away. They will only steal your money. Report them often to the BBB. Crooks!!!!!"

modified review Rep reply posted Oct-08-2014

“Hi rbarborak,

I apologize for the delays you experienced in getting your device replaced. We're currently in the middle of implementing some upgrades to our processing systems, but they very rarely cause the types of issues you've described. And no overhaul should ever result in a conversation with one of our support reps that can be described as rude and uncaring. If you would kindly send an email to Marketing@protectcell.com with your name, plan #, and the number of the phone you were trying to get replaced, it will make it much easier for me to get to the bottom of your issue.”

"2nd device that we've replaced because it was lost. Shipping was 2 days both time & the staff was very helpful & courteous. I spoke with a customer service rep both times that spoke English well & that's nice to hear when calling a customer service desk."

"they did it efficiently and fast both the call took 3 minute and i got two days later no questions asked and good service only use them!!!!!!!!!1"

"Furious and frustrated. I purchased this plan fully aware of both the cost of insurance and replacement cost. I was not, however, informed my replacement phone would be refurbished. Moreover, I was told my replacement would be the exact same device. I was shipped a white, refurbished iPhone 5s that will be replacing a black 5s with a cracked screen that is just under three months old. The customer service representative I spoke with was both rude and condescending. Lesson learned. Never again."

modified review Rep reply posted Oct-08-2014

“Hi TotalScam,
Apologies for your frustration in getting your phone replaced. Regarding the color of your new phone, the only reason we wouldn't send you a new device that's the same color as your original is simply because we didn't have any of that color in stock, and we don't want you going without a phone any longer than is absolutely necessary. I suspect that's also why the device you were sent was refurbished; again, we attempt to send customers the exact same device they want to replace, but if our stock is low that does sometimes mean we send out refurbished devices. However, none of that should necessitate a 'rude and condescending' conversation with one of our support specialists. That part I would like to dig a little deeper on, but to do so I'll need some additional information. If you could send an email to Marketing@protectcell.com with your name, plan #, and the number of the iPhone you replaced, it will make it much easier to do so. Thank you.”

"They acted Quickly to my request and had my new phone for me the next day. Fast and courteous service!"

"A 2 day wait turns into, 'maybe at the end of this week.' Was put on hold for 15 minutes. The lady was terse and rude. I explained the wait is ridiculous for the an amount already paid. She replied with an insincere 'I can refund you the money and when we get it, we can charge you again?' This is not the point, I replied. I had to explain to her, this is a service we pay for, and expect a certain amount of service when money is given. (You would think they would know this). I asked for a supervisor, she said I am one. Wow. I still thanked her for her patience. I originally called on the 19th of September. She said it might be in 'hopefully by the end of the week.' Today is the 30th of September. They now say wait till the 3rd of October. Stay away from protect cell.

Update, 3 Oct. I called back to say I have no phone still, They said 'sorry' offered other inferior phones. I was upset, not happy, this same lady seemed to be enjoying my frustration. They mentioned my service provider, saying they have it on order. I asked what does this have to do with protect cell? Did I not give you money for a service? I am a bit confused. It seems they were passing the buck. I asked to speak to this ladies boss, or someone in a higher position. She said they will get with me in 24-48 hours. I mentioned to her, reminded her, that I asked to speak to someone higher to her on the 29th. 'No one has called me as of yet', I tried to explain. Again an insincere 'sorry, you just have to wait.' I again expressed my frustration and said, 'I don't know what to get online and write a review, saying, 'stay away from protect cell.' She seemed not to care. Gave another insincere 'sorry.' So...here I am. Stay away from protect cell! Update 10 October. No phone yet. Tried, unsuccessfully to talk to a supervisor, 2 weeks in a row. Called yesterday, they said they would put this in again. Got a call to my home number, asking to send inferior replacements...again. How many times must I no? Stay away from protect cell. It has been three weeks now. They drag their feet, are rude, seem uncaring and offer inferior phones. Stay away from protect cell.

modified review Rep reply posted Sep-30-2014

“Hi VFWVeteran,

That certainly doesn't sound like the level of customer satisfaction we're aiming for. Would you mind sending us an email at Marketing@protectcell.com so we can investigate your issue a bit more internally? Kindly include your name, plan #, and the phone number of the device you were looking to replace. Thank you, and our apologies for the difficulties!”

"Prompt and effective service. Very happy with my purchase of this service. "

ProtectCell1, Protectcell.com rep has responded

“We're very happy that you're very happy!”

"SCAM!! I paid 250 for insurance in advance and was told i would get a brand new phone if i needed it replaced. So now my phone is broken and i am trying to use the insurance the people at protect cell tell me i need to pay an additional 150 and they will send me a used phone. I was lied to when to when i paid for the insurance and feel scammed. So basically they want me to pay a total of 450 dollars for a used phone. This is not what i paid insurance for. I can buy the exact same phone on amazon for 65 dollars and through insurance it would be 450? This company hung up on me several times when i called them and was trying to explain my situation. There staff was rude and did not help me at all the guy on the phone told me i am better off buying a phone off craigslist. Why would i pay 150 for insurance and the insurance company tells me to buy a replacement phone off craigslist. The representative at the corporate office said his name was chris. i own a business and can not be without a phone since i am unable to talk to anyone at the company without them hanging up on me i need to buy a phone on my on."

“Hi Kevin,
It sounds like the admin fee--which is indeed an inherent part of every ProtectCELL plan--came as a bit of an unpleasant surprise. And for that, I apologize. We make every effort to provide the wireless store reps who sell our plans with the necessary resources to present our offerings in an appealing and ACCURATE light; these resources include training programs and educational materials that exist specifically to help consumers understand how our plans work. Though it doesn't happen often, occasionally customers (like yourself, it seems) are not given the whole picture and, resultantly, feel blindsided when it comes time to actually replace a device.

Understand that we absolutely do not condone misleading customers or misrepresenting our products in the name of making a sale.”

"DISGUSTING company. I am waiting for my third cellphone in a matter of a week. Protectcell has sent me two defected phones that do not work. Customer service could care less that the company is handing out defected phones. They won't even compensate me for any thing even though it's a two time mistake on their end. My professional life has been affected by their mix ups and not having an working device on me.
For anyone even thinking of doing business with this company just run the other way.
worst experience ever!

“Hi Villiesala,

That certainly doesn't sound like the standard of customer satisfaction we strive for. I'd like to look into your issue in more detail; would you mind sending an email with your name, plan #, and the phone # of the device you replaced to Marketing@protectcell.com? That will make it much easier to figure out where we dropped the ball.

Thank you!”

"Protect Cell charged me $300 on top of the $150 administrative feels to use my insurance. When I called to ask about this $300 charge they mentioned that is was related to the terms and conditions. What terms and conditions, I have never received anything about any terms or conditions or that any additional terms existed? These were never communicated to me. I don't think this can possibly be legal. I highly recommend that no one ever use protectcell."

“Hi Atmcalpine (that's quite a name),

I'm not sure what happened, but it definitely sounds like you're less than pleased with us. Help me understand--what is the $300 that we charged you? Was that the actual plan fee? Were you on a monthly plan or something like that?

Feel free to email me at Marketing@protectcell.com; I'd like to get to the bottom of what happened. Thank you!”

"I LOVE PROTECTCELL! They have replaced my device twice! Always very quick. The client services are always so nice and informative when I call. My 2nd device was actually just delivered today. I will make sure that I continue to use ProtectCELL as long as I have my iphone! "

ProtectCell1, Protectcell.com rep has responded

“Thanks Susandanielle03! Always nice to hear we're appreciated.”

"After I had to purchase a replacement device based on a cracked screen of my original phone I was happy. The device worked great and was the original color I had ordered. After an incident with water that device needed replaced. I paid the $200 for the next replacement device as I still was under the contract of my carrier for another year. Upon waiting 6 days for "2-day" shipping the device came and was not the color I had ordered at all. I proceeded to call their customer support only to have a representative pretty much say, "Sorry, your S.O.L. because of the fine print in our terms and conditions." My fault I know but I figured that their customer service would be a little more understanding. The kicker is they sent me an e-mail after I ordered a replacement device asking me to write a review to be entered into a drawing for an ipad, saying "Naturally, the part we like most is hearing positive things from our customers." Ha! Well naturally after this experience it is highly unlikely I will be using a ProtectCell plan for my future cell phone."

“Hi Ejasnowski,

Sorry about the shipping delay; sometimes we're a bit optimistic in our estimates, other times we're at the mercy of issues with the shipping company. I'm sure you can relate.

As to your issue with the device color--although we make every effort to replace our customers' devices with the exact same phone, occasionally we have to settle for 'as close as possible', most often as it relates to device color. This certainly doesn't means we just arbitrarily decided to send you a replacement device that's a different color from your original one. What likely happened was that we were simply out of stock for your exact device, and in the interest of getting you another replacement device ASAP, we sent you one that was 'as close as possible'. We just didn't want you to go without a working phone for any longer than was absolutely necessary!”

"My replacement phone took way too long to arrive, 6 days. I understand it was over a holiday weekend but the claim was put in before the holiday and it still took that long. I have had claims with other companies in the past and even on a weekend the replacement phone was overnight shipping, in my hands in less than two days. Also, my phone was red and my replacement phone was black."

“Hi Jolly,

Apologies for the shipping delay. Much like you, we're occasionally at the mercy of the shipping companies, so when they experience issues and delay so do we.

As for your replacement device being a different color than your original, we make every effort to send customers the exact same device as the one that needs to be replaced, but sometimes when we don't have a particular model in stock, we have to settle for 'as close as possible'. The reason for this is simple--we don't want you to be without a phone one second longer than absolutely necessary.”

"This is one of the most deceiving plans I've ever seen. $200 up front for the "Premium plan" and then $125 to replace an iPhone with a shattered screen. The screen can be replaced for less and a new phone isn't that much different that the $325. Again a company taking advantage of people. "

“Hi Gamer_Steve,

I do apologize that you were less than satisfied with our plan, but we certainly don't set out to deceive anyone about how our coverage works. It sounds like the $125 admin fee came as a bit of a surprise, is that the case?”

Protectcell.com is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Protectcell.com is a merchant member
Protectcell.com participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 1,865 merchant members.