• Protectcell.com

Chance of future purchase: Rating 3.42/10 3.42/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 4.78/10 4.78/10
    Customer service: Rating 4.18/10 4.18/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.06/10 3.06/10

"Protectcell did a great for my stolen phone. Called in for another smart phone n received it in 2-3 business days. Wow! That was fast! Thumbs up :)"

"VERY dissatisfied customer!!
Bought the ProtectCell plan at the recommendation of Verizon 2 years ago. They said it was a "no-lose" situation, that I'd have the insurance if I ever needed it and if I didn't use it that I would get $109 dollars of the purchase price back. They never said it was a buyback program. (Incidentally, they told me today they no longer use ProtectCell).
Kept the phone 2 years. Never had a problem with it. Upgraded my phone 2 weeks ago. Had Verizon wipe the old phone clean and inspect it. They assured me I would get an offer of $109. But of course that's not what happened.
Had an email from ProtectCell saying they inspected it with a pen light and that the liquid damage indicator was tripped, and that didn't mean it had ever been dropped in water and that it was common and could just be caused by humidity, and that the phone could still function but would "EVENTUALLY it would not function properly." How convenient for them. So what choice do you have? You either take their measly offer of $56 bucks or get nothing.
What a sham, Just thankful I never had to file any kind of claim with them if that's the way they do business.

"Protectcell did a great job replacing my stolen phone. They were sympathetic about the loss and very helpful. I got a notice they shipped on the promised day, but Fedex let us down and delivered a day late. Protectcell did their part, though."

"My son dropped his phone and the screen on his phone shattered. I called protect cell. I had to pay the $150 deductible. They said I would have the phone in two days. Later I received an email that the phone was on back order. It took two weeks for the the phone to ship. They also didn't tell me that they ship through fedex and someone needs to sign for the package. Good thing I just happen to go home for lunch that day."

"It went OK. I was told be Verizon dealer that you could get a replacement in 24hrs. My phone broke on a Friday evening and I had a new phone on the following Tuesday. Although I had to pay extra for rush delivery. Its a business phone, so it was necessary. I was surprised by the $150 deductible. But I put that on the Verizon dealer selling the plan. They probably get some sort of commission from ProtectCell, so they paint a rosier picture to get the sell. ProtectCell overall wasnt bad. Wasnt great either."

"I handle the smartphone problems of my two teenage grandaughters and have used Protectcell twice in a year. I honestly don't know how their service could be any better. I understood about the original policy cost and deductible charge before I purchased the policies. When it came to actually using Proteccell, everything went smoothly and quickly. The first time I called to report a loss, the rep. was very polite, and accomodating. I recieved my replacement in 2 days. The second lost phone, I just answered a few simple questions on their website and again had my replacement in two days. They even offerred assistance in activating the new phone. Everthing went off without a hitch, couldn't be more satisfied."

"Omg this company is beyond horrible. Words cant even begin to describe. Made me pay 150 to replace my phone..stated id receive my device 2days..waited around..nothing. I had to call them back. Told me it was on back order. Randomly without any email I received my device a few days later. what do u know...defective. Called back..went through the EXACT SAME process no different except even longer to receive it. Opened it up today..Same DEFECTIVE ONE AGAIN.NOW STUCK WITH 2 DEFECTIVE PHONES! REVIEWS ARE BAD FOR A REASON PEOPLE. GO ELSEWHERE. EVEN YELP HAS SAME ISSUES. NOT A SINGLE POSITIVE FEEDBACK."

"I am disappointed, still do not have my replacement device. The first replacement device was reported as stolen/lost and therefore unable to be activated. The second replacement device was supposed to be sent overnight, just received an email saying it would be here in 2 days. I question how they sent a customer a stolen/lost device, so I question just how reputable are they...."

"Seemed to be a decently fast turn around for a new iPhone. I made the claim on a Friday and by Wednesday I had my new phone. One BIG issue though, the phone I received wouldn't charge. So I am stuck trying to use my broken phone for another week until they send another replacement. Oh well, 1st world problems I guess. "

"Terrible customer service. I lost my credit card and had to get a new one. I called to give them my new credit card, and reinstate my plan (10 days later!) Instead of the $10/month I signed up for at Verizon, they wanted to charge an upfront fee of $199 to do a new plan! Insane! There is absolutley nothing wrong with my phone, that is basically like me paying for a whole other phone. Do NOT do business with this company!"

modified review Rep reply posted Feb-19-2015

“Hi cheree_hollis,

Sure sounds like things didn't go quite according to plan, but to be honest I'm having a little trouble figuring out what happened. Couple of questions:

-You said you reinstated your plan 10 days later...10 days later from what? Or after what?
-It sounds like your original plan was a Monthly plan, and whoever you talked to told you you had to sign up for a Yearly plan instead? That's quite confusing, as we do indeed offer plans that are monthly and yearly but those prices don't make sense. Are you saying your original plan was purchased through a Verizon store for $10/month?

I'm not quite sure what happened with your issue, but I'd like to get some more information so I can investigate it in more detail. Please send an email to Marketing@protectcell.com with your plan number, the name registered on the plan, and the phone number(s) registered. Thank you!”

"I've had to use my Protectcell plan multiple times over the years for my teenage son and I've been pleased every time. I pay the fee, and it's fast, easy, and hassle free. We love it! Thank you!!"

"I was also disappointed in the "Admin Fee" of $150 as I paid A LOT upfront to have insurance on two phones. I wish I had not been talked in to buying it from the Verizon salesman. My daughter cracked her screen, I took it to a repair shop and had it fixed for the same price as the "Admin Fee". Then it broke again I filed a claim on it this time, paid the fee on a Friday and received her phone on a Monday. So I like the fast service but not the hidden fee. Next time I will NOT buy protection. "

"Omg do not buy this plan .. we bought the best one that was pushed on us by z wireless over the verizon plan.. said no deductible and covers everything.. my phone has been acting up and i finally got through today only to find out its a ripoff .. all that money we paid up front for nothing. a $125 administrative fee aka a replacement fee. DO NOT BUY"

modified review Rep reply posted Feb-13-2015

“Hi kimmyj510,

It sounds like you were a bit surprised by the admin fee that is indeed an inherent part of all our various protection plans. Apologies for that. Please don't assume that we set out to intentionally deceive customers about how our plans work. Actually, we're working constantly to provide the various wireless store reps who sell our plans with the necessary training and informational materials to accurately and honestly explain how our plans work to customers like yourself, and at the same time looking for ways to do a better job of both those things. However, as you've discovered, the unfortunate reality of the situation is that occasionally certain key details (like the existence of the admin fee) are not disclosed in order to make our plans more appealing. Again, this is not a practice we condone, but it does unfortunately happen.

As for why the admin fee exists on top of the monthly fee to begin with, think about it like car insurance. You pay your premium every month (or three month, or twelve months) regardless of whether or not you're in an accident; then when you do get in a fender bender, you'll have to pay your deductible to get your car fixed. It's much the same with our plans. Hope this clears things up!”

"Terrible! Was never told about the $150 "administration fee". I paid it and when I received my new phone there were no instructions or communication in the box. I called protect cell to find out what the next step was and was rudely told "We don't provide instructions on the next step because we assume it would be obvious. Take it to Verizon and pay to have it activated. " So on top of being made to feel like a fool, the initial fee to purchase protect cell, the admin fee, and the activation fee it would have been much cheaper and less humiliating to purchase a refurbished phone on amazon. When I told customer service that he was rude, that I was dissatisfied and wished to return the phone and cancel my contract, not only was no effort made to keep my business and rectify the situation, the rep became ruder, and said I had had the phone over 15 days, (which I did not, It was less than 24 hours) and that the misunderstanding with the return and admin fees where my fault for not reading the fine print in the contract. When I asked the agent to speak with someone else due to his rudeness I was told that he was a supervisor and my only recourse was to send an e-mail to the corporate office. After 20 minutes he finally agreed to let me return the device . I would NEVER recommend this service. Rude customer service inadequate communication, and hidden fees...Shame on you Protectcell "

modified review Rep reply posted Feb-11-2015

“Hello hstrange1999,

That certainly doesn't sound like the kind of customer experience we want to provide. I'd like to forward your issue to our Customer Support manager, but need a bit more information first. Please send an email to Marketing@protectcell.com with your plan number and the name registered to the account, and I'll do just that. Thank you!”

"I began this hellish process on 1/5/15 after dropping my new phone (bought within the last 30 days) in water. I called Protectcell about the replacement. I was told to send proof of purchase. I faxed paperwork that proved I had purchased the Protectcell insurance. My fax machine at work , for some reason, could not get through to the fax number they gave me. I had to go back to the Verizon store and had them fax it. A day later I call again to see if they got my fax. They did, but that was not what they needed. I was then told that I had to fax proof that I bought the phone. Well the rep should have been more clear as to "what" he needed proof of. I was told by the rep on day two that they already knew I had the insurance, they needed to know I bought the phone. Well why would I need your damn insurance if I had not bought a phone! So I start the process all over again. Again I cannot fax to Protect cell from my work fax, although it works fine to send faxes to anywhere else. I go back to the Verizon store and have to have them fax my proof of purchase. So on day three, I call again to speak with a rep. Of course they can't help me so I get transferred to the Corporate Office. Finally spoke with someone who did receive my fax and could get approval to send my replacement phone. I was told I would have my phone within 1-2 days. I gave my work address so that FedEx could deliver, as I was told I had to sign for it. I waited for two days and the phone never arrived. So I call again on a Friday to see what the problem was. Again I was routed through several people before getting to someone who could actually help. I was told all my paperwork was there and they didn't know why the phone was not sent yet. I was told by that lady my phone would be there the next day, which was a Saturday. So I gave her my home address, as that was where I would be. I stayed home all day waiting for FedEx. I should have known the lady didn't know what she was talking about. I live in WYOMING, nothing gets here in a day. Do you people own a MAP??? My mistake for believing her. The phone didn't arrive until either Monday or Tuesday of the next week. Of course I was back to work and not at home to sign for the package. I had to leave a note on my door for the Fed Ex person to either leave it at my house or deliver to my work place. Then when I get the phone on 1/12 or 1/13/15, is it the same phone I bought at the Verizon store? Oh no, it is not the same phone at all. So I take my replacement phone to the Verizon store to get it programmed. The lady at the Verizon store said it was a much older and cheaper model of phone that what I originally purchased. I went from a HTC Desire to a HTC DNA. She called Protectcell and was told that was what I got. I had to take it or leave it. When my two year contract with Verizon is up regarding THIS phone, I will cancel my Protectcell and never do business with you again. "

modified review Rep reply posted Feb-09-2015

“Hello celia.d.easton,

Apologies for the delays you experienced in getting your replacement phone; that issue with your work fax machine is definitely unique, as I've never heard of that issue before. And regarding the delivery delay, I'm not sure what happened there but I'll be happy to look into it for you. Concerning the model of replacement phone you were sent: if we can't replace a device with the exact same model, we send out models that are at least as good as the original, if not better. I'm not sure who you spoke to, but according to these review sites (http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/HTC-DROID-DNA,HTC-Desire-HD/phones/7498,4890) and (http://versus.com/en/htc-droid-dna-vs-htc-desire), the DNA is actually better than the Desire. Please understand: we didn't provide you with a different device purposefully to upset you--it was most likely that we didn't have your model in stock and wanted to keep the amount of time you went without a device as minimal as possible.
That being said, I've forwarded your information along to our Customer Support manager, who should be reaching out to you shortly. Thank you!”

Share Protectcell.com's store rating

Protectcell.com is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Protectcell.com is a merchant member
Protectcell.com participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 1,838 merchant members.