"Very poor delivery, stroppy customer service, as other people have mentioned. A bargin is only a bargin, IF you get your stuff. GO TO THE SHOPS its easier."

modified review This review was modified by angela1326 on March 24 2014 01:29:27 PM

"Slow delivery, no response to e-mails and poor customer service attitude. Happened more than once now so....
...NEVER AGAIN!!

Honolulu, HI - a Brit abroad

"For the TL;DR crowd: solid service, good prices and incredibly decent worldwide shipping rates, but pre-sales could use some work.

As a Scot "stuck" in Honolulu, getting a hold of stuff that I could buy at a million and one shops back home can prove to be tricky. The internet increasingly makes items more accessible, but often at a price.

With the conclusion of this year's Six Nations (with Scotland narrowly avoiding the wooden spoon in the same way they've done since 2007) I figured it might be a good time to try to pick up a couple of rugby shirts. Back home they typically are marked down on sale after the tournament is done, but I didn't rate my chances at getting anything at a reasonable cost from nearly 9000 miles away. Nevertheless, I hit google in the hope of turning something up.

The first thing I found were a bunch of online stores based in the U.S. that import jerseys. They typically wanted the better part of $100 plus shipping (often with fairly unreasonable rates to Hawai'i) however, which made them last-resort possibilities, so I kept looking.

I had a peek at the Scottish Rugby Union's online shop. It's operated by Greaves Sports, and I can easily visualise their shop in Sauchiehall street in Glasgow, but their worldwide shipping is expensive, which would have negated any savings from sale prices.

I finally discovered Pro Direct, but I don't remember the part I took to get there. As well as their home site, they also operate Pro Direct Rugby (http://www.prodirectrugby.com/ which is where I originally landed) Soccer, Tennis and so forth.

Browsing to their Scotland section, I found that (like most other UK retailers) they were having a sale, and a decent one at that (40% off). On top of that, their actual prices for overseas customers are lower still as they don't collect VAT, which is now a mind-blowing 20%.

Despite the sale, they had pretty decent stock (unlike the SRU store) Their worldwide shipping rates also looked very reasonable, and were actually lower than what the U.S. stores wanted to move the same merchandise a fraction of the distance.

Things were looking up, but I needed to sort out sizing. The last shirt I bought was some 7-8 years ago, and I wanted to make sure that the manufacturer's sizing hadn't changed since then. I couldn't find a sizing chart on their site, so I emailed their customer service department for clarification. It took them the better part of 6 days to reply, by which time I'd seriously considered not bothering with the whole thing.

Thankfully, patience paid off. Based on their advice, I submitted an order for a couple of shirts. A confirmation email arrived promptly, and was followed up about 1 day later with a shipping notification, which was a nice touch. Their shipping department definitely appears to be much more on the ball than sales.

No tracking was available during transit as the package was shipped by post, but it arrived on my doorstep (signature required) 11 days later, which is pretty typical for mail between the UK and here. Their advice on sizing was spot-on, so full marks to them for that.

All in all, I'm quite chuffed at the way the order went. I got two new rugby shirts shipped halfway round the world, ultimately for the same price as buying a single jersey from one of the various U.S. sellers. Given that sort of savings, the earlier communications delay doesn't seem so important.

modified review This review was modified by twonk on May 18 2011 05:54:03 PM

Pro-Direct Sport is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Pro-Direct Sport is not a merchant member
Pro-Direct Sport does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!