Stores > Petco

Product & services pricing Rating 2.08/10 2.08/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.43/10 1.43/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.25/10 1.25/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.36/10 0.36/10

"Received the wrong order and that has never happened to me before. I order online all the time and when I called the lady who sounded like she was from another country was rude and not at all helpful or accommodating. I I will no longer do business here."

This review was modified by elizabeth_guillen on November 12 2015 05:33:01 PM

"My experience with Petco is as such. I ordered two 30 lb. bags of Blue Buffalo online and then for some reason after receiving them I did a search online about this food. I noticed that there were a lot of complaints with dogs having stomach issues, even veterinarians were suggesting that this food may be the problem. I thought to myself that my dog is having these same issues so I went to return the food to my local Petco. Instead of Petco returning my money they gave me a Petco gift card. That would be fine but they didn't have the food that I wanted to try next such as Taste of the Wild. The only reason Petco gives you a gift card is to force you to keep your hard earned money in their store. I detest this action and wrote to their customer service where they were no help at all. In fact they kept getting what I was telling them wrong. Then after the third email I sent I never got a final resolution from them. I am done with Petco and I hope everyone who reads this understands that if you want your money back you will not get it. Down with this type of practice. I could see if it were over 30 days from purchase but this was the following day that I returned the dog food after receiving it. I guess I will have to buy $100 worth of dog chews now just to use the damn gift card. "

"WAY Over Priced, uneducated staff, unfriendly service and they never know how to process the rewards programs, they do not respond to emails or complaints.. The grooming is just unspeakable. How irresponsible can one be - leaving a dog in the dryer? Allowing animals to die in cages? Having a dog escape out the back door and get killed?"

"I am about to complain about something I seen and have video documentation. It happened in the Minot ND, USA Petco. I watch a baby green iguan die. The worker said it was sleeping . So i asked if she could gently wake it for proof. She roller her eyes and tapped its head quite intensly into the glass. I knew it died when its mouth opened and its tounged was hanging she laughed and said heavy sleeper. Then I was a looking at a baby chinese water dragons enclosure where i seen it floating in a pool of water.. then I heard one lady worker tell another worker to move it around becaue people are looking. So the worker pushed me back and positioned the dead dragon beside the glass. I video-ed it because it was horrible ... Like seriously?? Take them out into the back room instead of displaying them.. It sickened the hell outta me! Please hire people who dont just need the minimum wage $$ .. hire people who love animals and want to work with them!"

"I'm sorry if this is overly negative but I have repeatedly had issues with you website and had no choice but to shop in-store only. I really like the local Petco here and never had issues with the store or staff. The local petco store is amazing but not there website. As a regular customer and a family that spends hundreds of dollars at your store on a monthly basis I hope to be treated better in future. I have attempted to order from your website 4-5 times in the past few months, each time I added items to my cart but never ending up purchasing them for the following reasons: ERRORS, errors, errors on your website. I've tried to apply currant coupon/promo codes none of which ever worked (errors allows occurred). Free shipping did not work, % off never works, sometimes my Pecto Pals Rewards points don't/won't apply due to errors on your webpage. Then there is the payment issues... I've repeatedly saved my information and everytime it goes back to old card information, everytime I re-enter my information every single time I try to order from your website....this is annoying and ridiculous. I have contacted your customer service, I tried online without response, so then I tried the suggested phone #, repeatedly calling the customer service number and no one picked up....after being frustrated I emailed customer service and finally received a response that was to late to help me order online. I have tried to load my $5 rewards dollars to my card and everytime it fails to work...so my only option is to print them and use them in-store only or lose them. The Local Petco management & staff are all very nice & I've never had problems with them, have honored all coupons, points and will try to fix any problem they can, very knowledgeable and always helpful."

"Nothing but problems with their website and very poor customer service including long wait times if you have to call in. Could not even remove my email address from their mailing list without a problem."

"First, I had problems with petco.com website: re-directs, lack of confirmation, promo codes, etc. When I placed an order, there was no confirmation and nothing in my account to confirm so I called. I was told no orders were placed. Five hours later I received confirmation of two orders. I called and was reassured they had been canceled. The next day I received two emails that TWO orders had been shipped. I called. They said they couldn't do anything about it. Meanwhile, I ordered from another company that immediately shipped with no problems. Now I'm getting over $160 of food for an elderly, ill dog, and my only option is to return it to a store over 30 miles away? As a precaution, I contacted VISA to make sure no more orders are charged to my card. Maybe the website is incredibly slow and the mistake(s) was not intentional, but the service is unacceptable. "

I placed an order for 3 things.
Next week I l waited for package and nothing. Went online to check to the status and it read "cancelled". I called customer service and they said they could not get in touch w/me to verify the order. What?? This is crazy. I don't expect someone to call for verification on a Petco order. They def did not leave a message if they called. This is ridiculous

"I recently purchased two ferrets from Petco. And one of my ferrets passed away from an illness two months later. Ferrets are supposed to live 8-10 years. I had my receipt and I had no Marshalls guarantee for the ferrets which is ferret insurance for a full year. The employee working at the time must have forgotten because they were very busy when I bought my pet. So I went into the store to explain my issue. They were under new management since my purchase but the manager was very polite and worked with me very well. I asked her if I could have a new ferret on account for the miscommunication and I asked her if she could contact the other pet owner that was housed with my ferret that passed away to make sure it didn't have the virus. A week later the manager called me back and said that she discussed my case with Marshalls and I got a new ferret. Also the manager called the other ferret owners to make sure their ferret was okay. I will be returning to petco as a frequent customer due to the amazing service. Great staff. Well knowledgeable. And perfect management staff. I couldn't be happier with my service at Petco."

This review was modified by ferreting5570 on April 11 2015 04:50:55 PM

"Petco has ruined my Christmas dinner this year, as I now have a very hurt Grandmother that thinks I forgot about her gift. I ordered a Christmas gift for my grandmother with Petco with plenty of time for the items to reach her in time. After a little over a week passed, I wondered why I did not hear from her about the gift. I went to track the order only to see that Petco canceled it. They did not call, nor email nor explain why they canceled my order or to even inform me. When I called them to find out what the issue was, they said they canceled it because the shipping address did not match the billing address (that's normally how gift orders work, isn't it?) They did not offer to expedite anything, send a letter explaining THEIR MISTAKE or do anything to help fix the problem. If they informed me instead of making me go look for their mistake, I would have been able to find a gift to ship to her in time for the holiday.

They previously solicited me to write a survey, before they canceled my order and now I know why.

This review was modified by llindsay13 on December 21 2014 10:54:03 PM

"Any call to Petco with a question about an order takes you to a Philippine call center where the sound quality is terrible, people are always talking in the background, the person you are talking to speaks marginal English, and they are generally clueless about what is going on at the corporate headquarters. Most recently I placed an order for saltwater fish. Two were DOA and 8 more died within 2 days of acclimation in my aquaria. I have been involved in this hobby for 3 years, my tanks have elaborate filtration systems, my existing fish are all active and healthy. I requested a refund and reordered replacements for some of the lost fish on 11/11. The fish were supposed to be delivered today and when I did not receive tracking info I called one of the call center idiots. She told me the order had been cancelled by Petco, could not give me an explanation and would not transfer me to someone who could. I suspect the reason is that I had the nerve to actually make use of their 30 day guaranty. The fish were obviously in poor health when they were shipped. The company is sleazy and dishonest and would not order from them again. "

"If you pay with PayPal then you can only get a store credit for the items you need to return. When I called to complain I was told to email pictures of the items I needed to return. I turn, a refund to my PayPal account would take place in 5-7 business days. Ten days later still no refund. I call back customer service who repeatedly put me on hold only to tell me I will receive a refund in 5-7 business days. The whole experience was a huge hassle.

Customer service for Petco.com is horrible. They must source out to foreign countries because the customer service people are hard to understand due to not speaking clear and concise English. It is frustrating on so many levels to have to deal with their customer service. Petco.com will not be my go to web store in the future. Life is complicated enough without having to deal with this store's screwed up policies and hard to understand customer service.

"STAY AWAY!!! I recently attempted to purchase Petco products online as a gift for a new puppy. The puppy Kongs showed up the wrong color, the exercise pen never arrived after a 10 wait (promised shipping 3-6 biz days) on the final day my order was cancelled. Apparently, it's MY problem that they use 3rd party vendors they are NOT accountable for & certainly don't care if I'm apprised of the situation or not. The only apology of any sort I received was for the 36 min time on hold. The worst customer service & care I've ever encountered."

This review was modified by duskasteph on October 16 2014 04:14:36 PM

"I had two absolutely unacceptable experiences with Petco selling through Amazon. I bought a bird cage from Petco in mid-July and in mid-August, I asked for a status update, as the shipping estimate from Amazon indicated that the item should be shipped soon. At that time I was told that despite that I was given a shipping estimate from Amazon, that it was in backorder!!!!! Wouldn't be in for another month. But they didn't tell me, I had to ask!! They said sorry, offered me a 10% discount, and I trusted them again when I placed an order on 9/15, again with a shipping estimate in early October.
On 9/27, I asked about the status of my second order and they informed me that, despite that there was a shipping estimate of early October from Amazon when I placed the order, that the item was on backorder and would be available in mid November. THIS is despite the fact that I bought a product that said it was in stock when I bought it, apparently it wasn't, but they didn’t bother to tell me until I asked TWO WEEKS LATER

"I placed my order at Petco.com for two items on 8/26/2014. On 8/28/2014 I received an email stating that one item in my order has shipped with a UPS tracking number. My credit card was charged for the first item on 8/29. On 8/30/2014 I received another e-mail showing that both items were shipped with two separate tracking numbers. My credit card was charged for the second item on 8/31. It took the first item 1 1/2 weeks to be delivered. At two weeks I sent a message to customer service through the Petco.com website. The only reply I got was an automated receipt message. On 9/11/2014, I have not received my second package, so I called customer service and they could not tell me why I have not received my package. I was informed that a replacement order has been entered and I should receive it by 9/15 or 9/16/2014."

Share Petco's store rating

Petco is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Petco is not a merchant member
Petco does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!