• Petco

Product & services pricing Rating 7.50/10 7.50/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10

"Horrible.

I placed an order for 3 things.
Next week I l waited for package and nothing. Went online to check to the status and it read "cancelled". I called customer service and they said they could not get in touch w/me to verify the order. What?? This is crazy. I don't expect someone to call for verification on a Petco order. They def did not leave a message if they called. This is ridiculous

"I recently purchased two ferrets from Petco. And one of my ferrets passed away from an illness two months later. Ferrets are supposed to live 8-10 years. I had my receipt and I had no Marshalls guarantee for the ferrets which is ferret insurance for a full year. The employee working at the time must have forgotten because they were very busy when I bought my pet. So I went into the store to explain my issue. They were under new management since my purchase but the manager was very polite and worked with me very well. I asked her if I could have a new ferret on account for the miscommunication and I asked her if she could contact the other pet owner that was housed with my ferret that passed away to make sure it didn't have the virus. A week later the manager called me back and said that she discussed my case with Marshalls and I got a new ferret. Also the manager called the other ferret owners to make sure their ferret was okay. I will be returning to petco as a frequent customer due to the amazing service. Great staff. Well knowledgeable. And perfect management staff. I couldn't be happier with my service at Petco."

modified review This review was modified by ferreting5570 on April 11 2015 04:50:55 PM

"Petco has ruined my Christmas dinner this year, as I now have a very hurt Grandmother that thinks I forgot about her gift. I ordered a Christmas gift for my grandmother with Petco with plenty of time for the items to reach her in time. After a little over a week passed, I wondered why I did not hear from her about the gift. I went to track the order only to see that Petco canceled it. They did not call, nor email nor explain why they canceled my order or to even inform me. When I called them to find out what the issue was, they said they canceled it because the shipping address did not match the billing address (that's normally how gift orders work, isn't it?) They did not offer to expedite anything, send a letter explaining THEIR MISTAKE or do anything to help fix the problem. If they informed me instead of making me go look for their mistake, I would have been able to find a gift to ship to her in time for the holiday.

They previously solicited me to write a survey, before they canceled my order and now I know why.

modified review This review was modified by llindsay13 on December 21 2014 10:54:03 PM

"Any call to Petco with a question about an order takes you to a Philippine call center where the sound quality is terrible, people are always talking in the background, the person you are talking to speaks marginal English, and they are generally clueless about what is going on at the corporate headquarters. Most recently I placed an order for saltwater fish. Two were DOA and 8 more died within 2 days of acclimation in my aquaria. I have been involved in this hobby for 3 years, my tanks have elaborate filtration systems, my existing fish are all active and healthy. I requested a refund and reordered replacements for some of the lost fish on 11/11. The fish were supposed to be delivered today and when I did not receive tracking info I called one of the call center idiots. She told me the order had been cancelled by Petco, could not give me an explanation and would not transfer me to someone who could. I suspect the reason is that I had the nerve to actually make use of their 30 day guaranty. The fish were obviously in poor health when they were shipped. The company is sleazy and dishonest and would not order from them again. "

"If you pay with PayPal then you can only get a store credit for the items you need to return. When I called to complain I was told to email pictures of the items I needed to return. I turn, a refund to my PayPal account would take place in 5-7 business days. Ten days later still no refund. I call back customer service who repeatedly put me on hold only to tell me I will receive a refund in 5-7 business days. The whole experience was a huge hassle.

Customer service for Petco.com is horrible. They must source out to foreign countries because the customer service people are hard to understand due to not speaking clear and concise English. It is frustrating on so many levels to have to deal with their customer service. Petco.com will not be my go to web store in the future. Life is complicated enough without having to deal with this store's screwed up policies and hard to understand customer service.

"STAY AWAY!!! I recently attempted to purchase Petco products online as a gift for a new puppy. The puppy Kongs showed up the wrong color, the exercise pen never arrived after a 10 wait (promised shipping 3-6 biz days) on the final day my order was cancelled. Apparently, it's MY problem that they use 3rd party vendors they are NOT accountable for & certainly don't care if I'm apprised of the situation or not. The only apology of any sort I received was for the 36 min time on hold. The worst customer service & care I've ever encountered."

modified review This review was modified by duskasteph on October 16 2014 04:14:36 PM

"I had two absolutely unacceptable experiences with Petco selling through Amazon. I bought a bird cage from Petco in mid-July and in mid-August, I asked for a status update, as the shipping estimate from Amazon indicated that the item should be shipped soon. At that time I was told that despite that I was given a shipping estimate from Amazon, that it was in backorder!!!!! Wouldn't be in for another month. But they didn't tell me, I had to ask!! They said sorry, offered me a 10% discount, and I trusted them again when I placed an order on 9/15, again with a shipping estimate in early October.
On 9/27, I asked about the status of my second order and they informed me that, despite that there was a shipping estimate of early October from Amazon when I placed the order, that the item was on backorder and would be available in mid November. THIS is despite the fact that I bought a product that said it was in stock when I bought it, apparently it wasn't, but they didn’t bother to tell me until I asked TWO WEEKS LATER
DO NOT TRUST PETCO, YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED!!! On two separate occasions, they have shown INCOMPETENCE AND A COMPLETE LACK OF CARE FOR THE CUSTOMER.
BECAUSE OF PETCO, MY BIRD CANNOT MOVE IN WITH ME!!

Petco User

"I placed my order at Petco.com for two items on 8/26/2014. On 8/28/2014 I received an email stating that one item in my order has shipped with a UPS tracking number. My credit card was charged for the first item on 8/29. On 8/30/2014 I received another e-mail showing that both items were shipped with two separate tracking numbers. My credit card was charged for the second item on 8/31. It took the first item 1 1/2 weeks to be delivered. At two weeks I sent a message to customer service through the Petco.com website. The only reply I got was an automated receipt message. On 9/11/2014, I have not received my second package, so I called customer service and they could not tell me why I have not received my package. I was informed that a replacement order has been entered and I should receive it by 9/15 or 9/16/2014."

"We ordered 6 diffents itemsin one time last week,the delivery was scheduled for monday following week,the boxes came in 2 different delivery in two different days and with missed stuff,SURELY i do not order anymore else from PETCO.COM.
UNTRUSTABLE AND UNPRECISE

"We bought two saltwater fish and some coral for our 125 gallon tank that we have had going for 8 years. The two fish that we bought contaminated are fish tank the 2 fish that we bought died first then killed are other fish and then killed are coral out a lot of money."

modified review This review was modified by saltwatergonebad on March 22 2014 10:53:39 AM

"WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED
I ordered 2 fish tanks on PETCO.COM and My order could not be processed and keep saying "PAYMENT NOT APLPICABLE" while there is nothing wrong with my bank account. I did placed an order one more time and petco.com keeps rejecting my order with the reason that items are out of stocks or backordered. That reason does NOT make any senses to me since that items I want to order still AVAILABLE on the website. So does PETCO still want to sell products to customers or just put products on there and say NO with all of customers's orders?

modified review This review was modified by SammieTr on March 01 2014 09:39:22 PM

"I went in to get my dogs nails cut. Since I have never been to petco for grooming services they needed proof of my dogs rabies vaccine. Which I have never heard of anyone else requiring this (I usually go to different vets or to petsmart to get my dogs nails cut). I had in my wallet my dogs ID cards which consists of a card with his picture on it from his normal vet for his microchip information... And I had a card from his vet with all of his vaccinations on it, but the card was one year old (I never received an updated card the previous year) ofcourse that wasn't good enough for them so I asked if they could call my vet and confirm he got it last year (even tho I'm telling them he did and even know the exact day!) she called and said they closed 15 mins ago. I then confirmed that all they needed was to hear from my dogs vet for verbal confirmation and she said yes... So I called the vets cell phone and she remembered me (my dog has back issues and we have become very close to the vet!) vet told the lady at petco that I DID get all the vaccines last year and my dog is current. Now petco says that's not good enough and I needed something faxed. It was the absolute WORST experience I have EVER had. I talked to three people (two managers) total and each of the girls where extremely rude. I gave them EVERYTHING they asked for! I will NEVER step foot back in a petco for any needs, and if I hear anyone going there I will make SURE to tell them my experience and tell them how bad I was treated and highly suggest they go elsewhere. I plan to voice my anger in every place possible and on as many blogs and websites as I can to reach the most amount of people. "

modified review This review was modified by BrayBray929 on February 01 2014 06:27:40 PM

"We ordered a crate for our dog and expected it within a couple of weeks. As time went on, and on, we phoned petco.com, only to be connected with someone we could not understand. We asked for a supervisor and was told the item was not available and the order had been cancelled. We are still waiting to get a refund. Very poor customer service. We do shop in store but will never again order from petco.com on line. "

modified review This review was modified by Diane1126 on December 21 2013 07:03:04 AM

"I ordered a K & H Kitty Sill Bolster Deluxe Cat Window Perch on a one day online sale (30% off sale) .
Item was shipped/delivered in terrible condition (damaged) with the box had been re-taped shut (at some point) and the retail box was thrashed and looked like a bad store return . I returned the item instore asking for replacement vs a refund . I was told that it was not possible and that I'd have to RE-order the unit online again at current/full price ( as this item was not sold in/at the local store(s) ). I said ok please give me a full refund including the $5.99 shipping charge ; since the condition of the unit was not my fault. The CSR said I could receive a refund on the unit only but not on the shipping. I tried again nicely to get my shipping refunded , but again was told no .
I shop Petco locally (when they have a good sale) , but this was my first online "shipped" item and it will be my last ; and probably my LAST Petco purchase ....period .
If a company can not take responsibility for shipping damaged and/or sell pre-opened/used items that were sold as new and will not ship a replacement or give a FULL refund ; then I have NO reason to continue shopping at their establishment .

modified review This review was modified by stereo5555 on November 18 2013 02:20:10 PM

"Never order from Petco.com. They are liars and scammers of the first rate. Ordered several items that were all in stock for shipping next business day. Four days later the items still haven't shipped and no one can tell me when they are going to ship. All they can tell me try back tomorrow, try back tomorrow. One person said I would receive an update by the end of the day. That was a lie and never happened. Everything they do is pass the buck off to the next poor sap. For the size of this company, I am in disbelief that their logistics are so horrible. Oh and even though my order still hasn't shipped or been charged it can't be cancelled. So I am in this never ending state of limbo waiting on them. What a bunch of crap!

I will never step foot in another Petco or order online from them again. I hope they go bankrupt. If you have problems with them, please take a few minutes and file a complaint with your states Attorney General, that's where I'm headed next.

Update - One week later, and the order still hasn't shipped, bear in mind their website said all of these items were in stock. A tracking number was generated and I was charged. They also told me they would upgrade shipping to get it here faster. Another lie! It is listed as standard shipping so even if it goes out today it will will be another week before it arrives. I have since had to buy the products elsewhere. What a disaster....

modified review This review was modified by jp2600 on August 22 2013 09:52:18 AM

Share Petco's store rating

Petco is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Petco is not a merchant member
Petco does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!