• Address: 2650 Bridge Lane Woodstock, IL 60098

Shipping & packaging: Rating 9.05/10 9.05/10
    Customer service: Rating 8.67/10 8.67/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 7.73/10 7.73/10

What is this?

"Great ordering experience online (with guidance & support by phone throughout the process). Also was impressed by the multitude of expedient shipping options to tailor to your specific needs - seriously, they have over a dozen!

On the products:
I ordered an OWC Mercury Electra 240GB SSD;
an On-the-go 3.0 USB Enclosure;
and a NewTech Laptop Battery

This was to upgrade an ancient mid-2007 2.16gHz MacBook (white)

The SSD works like a charm; after extensive research, this drive seemed the best. It may be tempting to go with the 'cheapest' drive for a computer this old at this point, but if you're already spending money to upgrade, this component is one of the few future-proof, transferable items you can get for a MacBook that you can take out an continue using beyond.. Too much to outline here, so just do your research and you'll find this to be one of the strong contenders. The performance boost (even on a SATA I 1.5gb platform, which was a primary concern) is incredible.

The 3.0 USB, straightforward (no drive included) version of the 'On-the-Go' enclosure for $30 as of time of this writing, was a choice based on compatability with both traditional HDDs as well as SSDs, since after all I was looking to use the HDD I was replacing with the SSD, as an extended storage drive. Great value for the money; again even on a 2.0 USB connection it runs relatively snappy, and very low temperature-wise thanks to the aluminum heatsink. Don't be thrown off by the mostly interfaced-based instruction booklet included with the enclosure - the reason it lacks backs basic mounting instructions is because it is that intiuitive and otherwise self-explanatory. If you're concerned it seems too simple, feel free to call OWC's technical support!! That's what I did and all they had to do was reassure me I was already on the right path. It never hurts to do so since you are, after all, dealing with sensitive and potentially costly equipment; never mind your own personal data as well..

The Newtech battery (again, a replacement battery for the Macbook) has a great capacity, and I'm running 2.5 to 3 times the amount of apps, functions, etc than I did when I first my got my MacBook and running on simpler apps and Apple battery - yet the duration time feels just about the same as back then. That is a testament to the capacity & quality of the NewTech battery.

I've been careful to write a pedestrian - perhaps oversimplified - review so that it is hopefully the most widely useful. That said, do your research and know what you're looking at and looking for before you commit to purchasing.

The point here is that based on my recent purchases, OWC itself is a GREAT, GREAT source for your hardware needs, for functionality, capacity, quality, and level of service.

"The product came quickly. Tech Support answered the one question I had quickly and accurately. No problems. But then again, I didn't expect any. All of my purchases from OWC have gone well."

"received item in post today - has taken a week to get here."

"Great product. Got some extras for free with instant rebate! Shipping adequate but not super fast, but it was free! Thanks very much."

"NO problem as usual: short and sweet"

"Excellent prices and selection. Super fast shipping. "

"Order arrived very quickly even with cheapest shipping. Well-packaged and arrived in good condition. I love working with these guys!"

"Works very well and has a 5 year warranty"

"Extremely fast, efficient international delivery. I was thoroughly impressed. "

"Order arrived when promised and performed without any problem.

The software that was also made available with the order wasn't that obvious to obtain; but an online chat provided the links necessary.

However, the instructions on how to use the software, are less than complete.

"As always, OWC (aka MacSales.com) had the product I needed and at a reasonable price... and shipping was quick and affordable."

"As always I'm a satisfied customer."

"We love dealing with OWC...quick reliable service...great products"

"The people at OWC have always been helpful with information about projects that I want to complete on my macs. The videos are very helpful also. "

"I appreciate how quickly I received my order. The items are just what I was looking for."

Other World Computing (macsales.com, eshop.macsales.com) is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Other World Computing (macsales.com, eshop.macsales.com) is a merchant member
Other World Computing (macsales.com, eshop.macsales.com) participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. This merchant is also Elite. See all 1,880 merchant members.