• Northern Tool +

Product & services pricing Rating 3.61/10 3.61/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 0.28/10 0.28/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 0.56/10 0.56/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.28/10 0.28/10

"I ordered a tool box it said its box was 44" when it arrived it was 55", great but it wont fit my truck!

They wouldnt refund my shipping and on top of that it cost me $289.00 to ship it back!!!!

so if you want to get hosed buy from these guys!

modified review This review was modified by billboxman on January 30 2015 01:57:59 PM

"On December 28th I ordered a Klutch Bench Sander from Northern Tool. It cost $235 plus $68 shipping. It shipped two days later via UPS. After a UPS "mechanical failure" in the midwest (I am in California.), the item supposedly continued en route. A few days later UPS tracking said it would be delivered on January 9th. It wasn't. Then UPS said it would be delivered on January 12th; that day they said it had not yet been unloaded from the truck. On the morning of the 13th, UPS said it was "left in the warehouse." I called Northern Tool and they seemed very helpful, talking about possibly sending me another unit while they sorted out the problem with UPS. Today, January 14th, UPS again said it was "left in the warehouse." So I called Northern Tool back only to get the real story about their customer service and UPS.

The day before they instituted a trace with UPS, which actually had no idea where the package was. Until that trace was finished, they could do nothing for me. The trace would take three to five business days! So Northern Tool won't take any action until as late as January 20th. Based on experience I am confident that UPS has lost the package, and another one will need to be shipped. While I do not know the nature of their contract with UPS, I have never encountered this attitude toward a company's packages being lost by UPS. In the past the company has just shipped another, saying I should refuse the first one if it finally arrived. When Northern Tool says they are "sorry" about this, their tone says, "If you don't like it, tough."

So my bench sander, which shipped on December 30th, will probably arrive sometime after January 30th. Meanwhile I paid an additional $68 shipping for this premier service.

If a package’s delivery is several days late, in this case five days, and the shipping company has no idea where the package is, the supplying company should ship a replacement and demand that UPS return the item (if they actually find it) and refund their original shipping fees. If this happened with Amazon, the replacement shipping service would also be upgraded at no charge.

Reading other reviews of Northern Tool, it is apparent that huge delays are always the customer’s problem, not theirs.

"Ordered three winches at $79.99 each. Shipment was via priority mail. Charges were stated as $123.70 which seemed a high but I went ahead anyway. On arrival I found the box to be very poorly packed with virtually no packing material to cushion the boxes. I checked the ship cost and the got the real surprise -- $50 of the $123 was for packing!! So my $80 winches are $120-- I could have done better elsewhere. This is clearly not a web-quality company that is expert at web order fulfillment."

modified review This review was modified by kaakre on January 13 2015 09:44:14 AM

"I wish I'd seen this site before ordering with Northern Tool. I ordered a cast iron burner from them in August by December I still hadn't received it. They only communicated once in September, by letter, that there was a delay. When I called to check the status I was told by each rep. that they were back-ordered and they would receive some on such and such date to be shipped. Well, when such and such date came nothing shipped. I went through this several times with customer service. The very last straw was when I spoke to a rep in December that said the item was back-ordered again to January. Please note that I'd spoken to a rep that Monday who told me the item would be SHIPPING that Tuesday or Wednesday. I made this call on Thursday only to be told again of a back-order, not a shipping status as I was expecting. I asked to speak to a supervisor because honestly, I was fed up with getting the runaround. The rep came back on the line (not the sup.) only to tell me that no shipments of the products EVER came in since the date of my order in August. My question was why was I told that shipments were coming in and that they were being back-ordered when that wasn't the case? If I was told up front about production issues and the time-frame in which I'd receive the product, I would have been fine with that. However, non-communication and lies are not values of a company I want to do business with. So I got no answers, no help, most importantly no burner. I asked for a refund of the regulator that they actually shipped. They said they could do so with the return of the regulator and that they would send a return label. It's 1/6/2015 and I still have not received the label even though this call was made weeks ago. I'll NEVER do business with Northern Tool again, online or otherwise. This was hands down the worst shopping experience I've had in my 38 years.

**Sidenote: If you don't get results, shame them on Facebook!**

modified review This review was modified by KaySha on January 20 2015 04:36:14 PM

"So far it has been 3 weeks and still waiting for Northern Tool to give me authorization code to return item. You cannot return item without this code and you CANNOT take to a Northern Tool store. I have called them 4 times and each and every time was told they are back upped from the Holidays and today is Jan 15 and no code. On my receipt it says you only have 30 days and today is that day but I have been trying and trying.
Ordered a pair of John Deere boots for a Christmas gift. The reason I ordered from Northern Tool was because if they didnt fit he could take back to Northern Tool. Well they didnt fit and cannot take back to a store. Only way to get a refund is to mail boots back I cannot return at any Northern Tool store. So will NEVER order from them again. You have to return to manufacturers address and NOT Northern Tool. After paying postage you also have to pay a manufacturers 15% restocking fee.

modified review This review was modified by northofraleigh on January 15 2015 08:00:44 AM

"They sent me a broken ladder and it has been over 2 months they have not picked it up, constantly telling me that the manufacture has to pick up and meanwhile their supervisor Christa promised me the credit and I went ahead and ordered a $1000 worth of rolling ladder. In-spite of all this they still have not given me credit for the broken and damaged ladder, neither they have returned by $350 back. I have been getting constant lip service from all of them including their new supervisor I spoke with today (Melissa).

WARNING: YOU WILL LOSE YOUR $$ IF YOUR GOODS COME BROKEN OR DAMAGED. I will never ever buy anything from this company in my life.

"Do not order from northern online. If your need your item on time that is..... I ode red an item from them on November 15 and got it yesterday December 4. It was supposed to be delivered by November 19-21. I called Northern and was told that my shipment had been handed off to another carrier. So I contacted them and they only delivered on Fridays and not over Thanksgiving and they had not received the item until November 24. The package was marked expedited and I was out $175.00 alone for shipment.... Not a happy customer... Come one Norther you can do better....."

modified review This review was modified by willlie on December 05 2014 10:43:56 AM

"purchased 3000 watt power inverter from northern tool.unit never seemed to work properly and always seemed to drain battery for no reason,even when not in use.i had no experience with these and had nothing to compare it with and assumed it was normal.one day it started making a screeching noise and stopped working.i called northern tool and customer service referred me to their service center.after i left message and a man returned my call and informed me that he serviced inverters directly for northern tool,and could not service it for me directly.he also told me that it was unlikely that it was repairable,as they were "throwaway"units and not worth fixing.i paid$349.00 for this throwaway and asked northern tool to honor their warranty as unit was a few months past warranty and requested a manager make a warranty exception and was told they could not.i requested that they allow partial credit towards a better quality inverter from their store,and was told this would not be possible.when they suggested i try to repair it i told them the service center would not service it,they gave me phone numbers for service centers.first number never answered phone,second one allowed me to bring unit for service,which i did.after claiming to adjust unit i was charged $70.00 and after bringing unit home and connecting it found it no different.i called northern tool again,explaining,this unit was only a few months past expired warranty,and to allow partial credit towards a better quality inverter,which they refused.i was a mail order customer with northern tool for many years,and feel that this was poor customer relations.northern tool lost my business as i will find another source for tool and equipment purchases"

modified review This review was modified by augiedoggie on October 08 2014 02:21:48 PM

"Shipping after ordering is 7-15 days while item list says 2-4 days. Tracking, doesn't exist. Restock fees 15% and are written in favor of NT. Refund processing is 2-4 weeks and does not include shipping. Despite local store stock, you MUST wait for your order. "

modified review This review was modified by diyguy1 on September 20 2014 06:07:02 PM

"This is the worst company I have ever order something in my live after placing an order 8/19/14 and pay for 2 day delivery I`ve been waiting now for more than 10 days and have not receive my order I call 2 times to find out what was the problem they say they send me 2 email that I never receive, they told me my address on the credit card don`t match I call for the same problem 2 times still don`t receive my order. I don`t even give this company 1 star their service is the worst I ever see. Avoid this company is a headache to get what you order"

modified review This review was modified by greenboxdiagnostics on August 29 2014 08:05:57 AM

"Do not order from this website! Sent me wrong parts, didn't want to work with me to get the correct parts. Forced me to pay shipping just to fix THEIR mistake! Next time i'll just order from JNequipment.com"

"DO NOT order from them online. I placed an order for delivery to my local store and was told that it would take 5-15 business days. My credit card was charged immediately. I called to find out where my merchandise was and they could not locate it. I cancelled the order and was told that my card would be credited the full amount. Called a week later and the credit had not even been started. I was told that it would take another 3-5 days to process the credit. They will have had my money for almost a month for merchandise they could not deliver in the time they promised due to their poor system of tracking and their unwillingness to properly manage customer relationships. I would not ever recommend their catalog service to anyone. If you can't get it in the local store, buy it from somebody else."

modified review This review was modified by SomeOtherCustomer on May 12 2014 10:54:24 AM

"After being a long-time NT customer we have parted ways. As long as you don't have a problem with your item, you're fine. If you do, good luck. I have had several problems with in store purchases. When you try to exchange them for an item that actually works properly, they give you a hard time and won't exchange without a mechanic looking at it (who is only there certain hours). The last straw was a water pump that I had had 3 months that got to a point where it ran so rough it was basically useless. I was going to exchange for a better pump, and pay the difference, but the manager, who was very arrogant and condescending, said the mechanic, who wasn't there, had to look at it. He said the fact that I had driven an hour to get there and that I didn't have a backup for the pump wasn't his problem. After an exchange of words, I left the pump for the mechanic to look at. In the meantime, I had to purchase another pump to use, from another store of course, only to be called the next day and told the problem with the 3 month old pump with a 1 year warranty wasn't covered under warranty and that I would have to pay for repairs. I told them to keep the junk and they wouldn't have to worry about me anymore."

modified review This review was modified by sdfslou on April 18 2014 07:09:11 PM

"I ordered a winch frame from Northern tool and during the process wanted to use a gift card they sent me from an earlier purchase but found out there is no way to use it. I use an I-Pad and when I went through the process it sent me strait to the payment section where I thought they would include the gift card discount but they only charged my PayPal account so I went in within 5 minute to cancel the order. Days later they sent me an email saying it has shipped so they could not cancel it and I would have to accept delivery and then go through the return process. This is ridiculous since it is shipping to there store for pickup. It has been over a week since it was ordered and I have sent them many emails to have them refund my account but they refuse to do so until I get the item and them resend it to them. They said then they can refund my account within 24 to 72 hours after their warehouse receives the item. It has been over a week and it still has not been received so how long does it take to get my funds retuned. This is how they get people to keep what they send and ripoff the consumer. I will be filing many complaints and making many posts to be sure everyone knows how they do business. Why do I have to do anything for this refund other then put in a request since it is shipping to their store for pickup unless they think I will just keep it once I pick t up. Since it was cancelled immediately you can't tell me they could not have stopped the shipment and since it has been over a week in shipping where does it come from.

Rick!!

"Purchased and paid for on 29/30th December, a saw for my husbands birthday

By 6 th January I hadn't received the saw, emailed northern tools and was told 10 th jan for delivery. By the 10th It still hadn't arrive so emailed again and was told on 14 th January it was out of stock and I would receive a refund.

Despite 5/6 emails I still didn't get my refund. All I wanted was my money back. If it wasn't for pay pal I don't think I would have received it.

Avoid this company

modified review This review was modified by elaineyork on January 26 2014 09:20:12 AM

Share Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co.'s store rating

Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co. is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co. is a merchant member
Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co. participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 1,888 merchant members.