Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co. Reviews - northerntool.com/ Ratings at ResellerRatings

Rating 2.17/10 45 reviews

Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co. is not a merchant member
Northern Tool + Equipment Catalog Co. does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!

Rating 4/102/5

"After being a long-time NT customer we have parted ways. As long as you don't have a problem with your item, you're fine. If you do, good luck. I have had several problems with in store purchases. When you try to exchange them for an item that actually works properly, they give you a hard time and won't exchange without a mechanic looking at it (who is only there certain hours). The last straw was a water pump that I had had 3 months that got to a point where it ran so rough it was basically useless. I was going to exchange for a better pump, and pay the difference, but the manager, who was very arrogant and condescending, said the mechanic, who wasn't there, had to look at it. He said the fact that I had driven an hour to get there and that I didn't have a backup for the pump wasn't his problem. After an exchange of words, I left the pump for the mechanic to look at. In the meantime, I had to purchase another pump to use, from another store of course, only to be called the next day and told the problem with the 3 month old pump with a 1 year warranty wasn't covered under warranty and that I would have to pay for repairs. I told them to keep the junk and they wouldn't have to worry about me anymore."

modified review This review was modified by sdfslou on April 18 2014 07:09:11 PM

"I ordered a winch frame from Northern tool and during the process wanted to use a gift card they sent me from an earlier purchase but found out there is no way to use it. I use an I-Pad and when I went through the process it sent me strait to the payment section where I thought they would include the gift card discount but they only charged my PayPal account so I went in within 5 minute to cancel the order. Days later they sent me an email saying it has shipped so they could not cancel it and I would have to accept delivery and then go through the return process. This is ridiculous since it is shipping to there store for pickup. It has been over a week since it was ordered and I have sent them many emails to have them refund my account but they refuse to do so until I get the item and them resend it to them. They said then they can refund my account within 24 to 72 hours after their warehouse receives the item. It has been over a week and it still has not been received so how long does it take to get my funds retuned. This is how they get people to keep what they send and ripoff the consumer. I will be filing many complaints and making many posts to be sure everyone knows how they do business. Why do I have to do anything for this refund other then put in a request since it is shipping to their store for pickup unless they think I will just keep it once I pick t up. Since it was cancelled immediately you can't tell me they could not have stopped the shipment and since it has been over a week in shipping where does it come from.

Rick!!

"Purchased and paid for on 29/30th December, a saw for my husbands birthday

By 6 th January I hadn't received the saw, emailed northern tools and was told 10 th jan for delivery. By the 10th It still hadn't arrive so emailed again and was told on 14 th January it was out of stock and I would receive a refund.

Despite 5/6 emails I still didn't get my refund. All I wanted was my money back. If it wasn't for pay pal I don't think I would have received it.

Avoid this company

modified review This review was modified by elaineyork on January 26 2014 09:20:12 AM

"I hate to even give them one star. Buyer Beware. I had the worst experience with this company. I tried to purchase a gift for my father for Christmas. I placed the order on December 11th, and shipped it to my parents in Maine. I received an emailed confirmation. They could not process my credit card (the same one that I used for multiple online purchases with out issue.) So they mailed a letter to my house, postmarked December 31st, but I was already in Maine. I called the day after Christmas to find out where the Hammer/Drill was, they were closed. I called the next day, I spoke with Johnny and he could not resolve my credit card issue (I have a hyphenated last name, he said that was the problem - ?) so i supplied him with an alternate card. He said it went through and we were all set. I asked for free expedited shipping for their lack to appropriate communication of a problem, he declined saying they did nothing wrong. Fine, I just wanted to see my dad open it, but oh well. I returned home, and a week later my Dad still had not recivied his present. I called again, this time insisting on speaking to a manager after the first customer service person told me my order had been canceled. The manager was operating under a guilty until proven innocent mind set. She never apologized, never took responsibility, and kept shifting blame. They had NO record of my conversation with Johnny, and she said I must have called a different company. When I told here I could send her my phone record- you can see all that info on cell phones she said she would have to see it to believe it. She said my order was cancelled on the 30th because I "never" called, I cited the letter received in my absence postmarked the 31st, saying my credit card could not be processed and my order was placed on hold. She said no that wasn't the right letter, but "a different department sends those out." She again wanted a pic of the postmark and letter. WOW! I am in customer service, so I tend to be a little forgiving. But, this treatment was beyond horrible. Customer service manager Christa made sure to detail that taking my call was a favor because she was "on her way out the door" and "they didn't charge my credit car, so what did I want?" Well Christa, I wanted you to sincerely apologize, recognize how bad my experience was, and maybe just maybe see how their system is flawed and needs updating if they hope to retain 21st century customers. Most of all, I wanted to give my father a gift that he was really excited about, selling product is what I thought your businesses goal is. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY - THEY DONT CARE!"

modified review This review was modified by caitlinwg on January 16 2014 02:47:22 PM

"ATTENTION INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMER. I bought well over 2000$ of various equipment from Northern Tool over the last few years but no more. They have sent me used, preopened and used product twice and when I complained this last time they refused to do anything about it. Maybe this is how they get rid of their returned products - send them to Canada where returning will cost the customer enough to make it prohibitive. I bought a generator from NT which had been used. When I received it you could not tell from the packaging but when you took apart the air filter you could tell it was used and the housing was cracked. Also bought a pellet stove and various smaller items. When I called about my last purchase, a solar light, I found it had a broken battery bracket and the glass dome had been handled and was covered in finger prints. They offered a return but this would have cost me more than the value of the thing. I'll be shopping elsewhere in the future."

modified review This review was modified by Domlap on December 25 2013 12:09:18 PM
Rating 8/104/5

"Good news first: I have placed a few orders with these guys and have been happy with the online process and the products. They have pretty good quality and great prices. I think that the orders have totaled under $500. Customer service was on the phone within a reasonable amount of time and really tried to help.

The bad news is pricing confusion and communication about orders. They sent me an email stating that my order had shipped on July 27, but the tracking info made it clear that it didn't actually ship until July 31, and there was no followup to correct the error in the first email. So did they just lie to make shipping look faster than it was?

One item I ordered was priced 50% higher online than was advertised in the catalog and the support folks couldn't change anything at order time so I went ahead and ordered and had to call later to get the refund. I talked to three different reps and they kept suggesting that it was my fault because I was not ordering over the phone! The catalog says nothing about that and, in fact, has the the URL right on the cover! Then they (all three of them at different times) said I had to enter the key code off the catalog, but I DID THAT and it did not change the price. It's annoying that no one would admit that they might have a pricing error. Oh, then one of the other items I had ordered showed up about 50% less online AFTER I ordered. I didn't even want to go there! It was only a few bucks, but another one of their mistakes...

"I've ordered a few things from Northern before, and it's been a hit and miss proposition.. some things get here fine in good shape, while others are damaged due to poor packaging. My latest gripe... I ordered 2 Rough Neck hose reels which seemed fine coming out of the box. The instructions for assembling was fairly poor, and I've assembled a lot of things over the years. The packaging was missing several bolts, nuts, washers, etc. I had to go to Ace to get what I needed. Then to top it off, using the non-kink hoses I got from Northern (and they do kink) there wasn't enough room for the hose to connect to the drum. I contacted Northern and they said sorry... I go back to Ace and I find a swivel goose-neck hose adapter to make things work properly. Then I find out that the basket gets in the way of the crank for the hose winding. It may be a good hose reel, will find out within the next few weeks how well it works.. but so far, I'm not pleased with all the extra hassle... and I wanted to update my review, which Northern does not allow. This will be my last order from Northern..."

Rating 6/103/5

"It's a mixed bag with NT. I have ordered from them with good success many times in the past, but they screwed up my latest order when an expensive Milwaukee power tool arrived damaged. Northern Tool refused the return, said I had to take it up with the manufacturer. Milwaukee was not happy to hear that about Northern Tool, explained that this was a new product line and that Northern Tool had vendor contractual obligations to handle customer returns.

Milwaukee copied me on very stern emails to NT, forced them issue me a prepaid UPS return label at NT's expense. Milwaukee stayed in touch with me until Northern Tool sent me the replacement. In all it took 3 weeks to resolve.

My favorite tool vendor is now tainted. That's what happens when you stiff your active customers.

"They failed to make a good faith effort to deliver a trailer kit I purchased. They indicated the shipper attempted to contact me - there was absolutely no evidence of that - then returned the product to them because their contact attempt failed. Out of the original $429 charge, with zero shipping and handling charges specified, they only credited my account $203. When I protested they, quite dismissively, indicated that they "do not credit shipping and handling"?

The first question of course is 'what shipping and handling charge'? My receipt shows zero.

- They failed to complete their end of a purchase agreement wherein they are responsible for delivering to me a product that I in good faith paid for.
- They arbitrarily assigned a shipping and handling amount - never documented in the original purchase - and summarily made it my responsibility because they and/or their representative failed to make a delivery.

I researched this company and its reputation on the BBB and consumer watchdog websites - and found I am not unique in this experience. It is my recommendation to any consumer that wants a positive experience purchasing a product - Go Elsewhere!

modified review This review was modified by smacone on May 30 2013 11:09:06 PM

"STAY AWAY FROM NORTHERN TOOLS ONLINE. THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY, NOT SEND AN ITEM AND THEN DON'T WANT TO REFUND YOU. IF NOT FOR PAYPAL STEPPING IN, I WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT $47.24. PAYPAL REFUNDED ME AND WENT AFTER NORTHERN TOOL."

modified review This review was modified by membername67 on May 08 2013 03:37:15 PM

"18 March 2013
On 07 Feb I ordered a generator. After about 2 weeks of waiting to receive the generator, the shipping company called to let me know when it would be delivered. I was excited to get it and on 18 Feb the truck pulled up in front of the house. I went out to meet them and found a crate that was broken and a box on top of the broken crate that was only held together by tape. I rejected the package and it took another 2 weeks to get an email from Northern Tool indicating the generator had been received back to them. I call to confirm the new generator would be shipped out and was told it would go out that day or the next. Frustrated but still excited to get the new generator I waited again. On 15 March I received a letter letting me know that the product was no longer available. No phone call. No help to find another product. No information to let me know what had happened to my money. I called their customer service where they were no help at all, except they did tell me my credit card had been credited back for the purchase. So I got on my credit card account only to find out they did credit back the cost of the generator but not the $142.10 for shipping. I couldn't get back in touch with their customer service until this morning where they had no reason for this, but did credit back the remaining amount.

I have never dealt with a company who didn't seem to care about helping their customer find a replacement product when the one ordered was out of stock. No, help whatsoever.

If you are order a product on line I would not recommend buying from Northern Tool.

"Have ordered a few things from Northern Tool over the past month, fairly high dollar stuff. A generator and a contractor truck rack. Contacted customer service for both items, one for a question on the generator and the other because the shipping company lost the contractor rack. Both times the customer service at Northern Tool was very friendly and helpful. I have been very pleased with the service provided by this company. "

"Nightmare Experience, Unfair Practices
I purchased a wood stove for $500 from Northern Tool. My bank account was credited 3x ($1500) for that same purchase on three separate occasions!!
For a whole WEEK NT had me going back and forth among their departments and my bank, were rude and NEVER acknowledged any wrong doing.
This had me frustrated and without sleep for an entire week, and messed up with my finances terribly.
Wouldn’t recommend the risk of buying from them to my worst enemy, Stay Away from them!

Rating 8/104/5

"I ordered two 18,000 BTU, Dyna Glo Cabinet heaters model RA18LPDGD, to replace my well used one pound indoor units. Northern Equipment had these hard to find Cabinet Heaters in stock for a reasonable price. This is my first order from this outfit and I found their ordering process easy and glitch free. They gave immediate conformation for my order, and two days later it was shipped and I was furnished a UPS tracking number. Five days later UPS delivered them. I inspected and tested each unit and found no defects and they work very well. I also like the esthetics of these units, they're well made and should provide many years service. I'm now ready for cold man winter. Thank you Northern Equipment."

modified review This review was modified by DmaxD on August 28 2012 04:50:48 PM

"I purchased something valued at 19.99. It was the wrong product. I returned the item. I sent them the shipping information. They claimed they never received it and never refunded my money. Would never purchase anything from them again. Buyer beware!"