Stores > Musician's Friend

Product & services pricing Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.86/10 2.86/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 4.00/10 4.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10

I ordered a set of recording mics and paid extra for 4 day expedited shipping so they would arrive in time for a weekend event I was recording. Paypal notified me within 30 minutes that my payment was waiting for Musicians Friend to ship.

Musicians Friend didn't even pack the order until 5 days later. UPS received it 7 days later.

I complained and Musicians Friend lied and told me that PayPal delayed my order. I sent them the PayPal approval and pointed out they were lying.

Then they said they would credit me for the expedited shipping charge but they never did.

They lie.

"I came across the reviews for Musicians Friend here, AFTER I had already ordered an open box synth from them. After reading several negative reviews with only the occasional positive review sprinkled in, I got a little nervous. Luckily, my experience turned out to be quite excellent.

I ordered my synth on a Friday morning around 8am est. I paid the 4.95 for express ground shipping, as the website stated that express orders ship out the same day as long as they are purchased before 5pm est. Come Saturday morning I still had yet to receive any type of shipping confirmation. All the negative reviews I read had me quite anxious so I went ahead and called MF customer service. I spoke with John who let me know that my order had not shipped Friday because my card was under a 24 hour verification delay. He offered to refund the 4.95 shipping charge, and assured me that my synth would ship out Monday. I received a shipping confirmation email later that evening. Knowing that Saturday isn't a business day, I didn't expect to see any kind of actual tracking info until Monday. My package showed up in Hodgkins, IL early Monday morning and left the IL hub later that same afternoon. I received my synth Tuesday, less than 24 hours after it left IL. Even if my package had left on Friday as I expected it to, I didn't think I would get anything until at least Wednesday or Thursday.

Although MF had exceeded my expectations shipping-wise, I was still nervous about the condition of the open box synth that I had purchased. I opened the box and was pleasantly surprised to see that my synth was physically brand new, and likely never used at all. The protective plastic still covered all the keys and screen, the power supply still sealed in it's original box, and after a thorough inspection I found no blemishes. I immediately plugged everything in and tried everything out. It works perfectly.

I got a brand new Dave Smith synthesizer for 450 dollars less than retail, and I got it in 2 business days. Needless to say, I am satisfied with my first MusiciansFriend.com purchase.

This review was modified by formulalton1 on September 15 2015 04:30:53 PM

"Worst company ever!! I stay in Glasgow and couldnt find a local retailer with what I needed, ordered a 10" tom with Mucisians Friend and received a 13" so refused delivery which Ups told me to do and then the item is sent to germany and declared abandoned!! Ups wont deal with me but request that Musicians Friend contact them and pay for return shipment. They wont do this as it costs too much and so I have payed £150 for nothing!!! Im more than un-happy, dont ever use this company!!!!"

This review was modified by RichKennedy13 on August 15 2015 07:38:47 AM

"Ordered an instrument overnight shipping,,, they sat on the order for 3 days. Once I finally received the instrument it had a cracked neck, evident as soon as the item was unboxed. Someone amed Luke Waala spent 2 days trying to convince me to take a lesser instrument, but i wanted the one I ordered. He finally sent me a replacement. The second instrument had a crqack in the resonator, its obvious this company sells blems or refurbished items as new. Fat forward 7 months later, I get a message from Credit Karma alerting me that potentially negetive information is on my credit report. I log in to fins a collection agency on behalf of Musicians Friend put 3 derogatory remarks on my report saying they never received the first instrument back!!!! Do not use this company. Research it and you will see many complaints similar to mine"

This review was modified by Kevin83165 on July 30 2015 09:18:47 AM

"I purchased an RSQ K-2 player online on 07.01.2015 for use in a show scheduled for 07.04.2015. I paid the extra $54.60 for next day delivery so the unit would arrive in time for the show. I received an order confirmation email at 3.11 pm on 07.01.2015. The unit did not arrive on 07.02.2015 when it was supposed to, and their website said that the order was "processing." Giving them the benefit of doubt and assuming the order was placed too late in the day to ship on the 1st I was not overly concerned. I called customer service on 07.03.2015 to inquire about the time of delivery. I was first told that the order had not yet been shipped. I told them to cancel the order and return the funds to my card so I could purchase the unit elsewhere. Then I was told that the unit was put on a truck this morning and was on the way, and I would have to wait for the order to be returned to their warehouse before the money could be credited back to my account; in a week to 10 days. Now I have no money to purchase a unit to use in the show and the delivery is scheduled for Monday the 6th. After receiving the order and payment, it took this company almost 40 hours to "process" the order, pull a box off a shelf, put a shipping label on it and put it on a truck for "next day" deliver, for which they were paid an extra $55.00. The only upside to this is that they said that they would refund the delivery charge, but I will have to wait several days to receive the unit and to make sure the delivery charge gets credited back to the account. Poor service all the way around."

This review was modified by ka2thompson on July 03 2015 08:36:46 AM

"The guitar showed up brand new and very well packaged. This was my first purchase in Musician`s friend and it wont be my last."

"One of my recent orders for a brand new $200-ish pedal turned out to be a used one. Then another recent order ended up returning both items. The return process was harsh. More than 10% ($19.xx out of $170) lost in shipping. Keep away form MF, which is no longer Musician's Friend. Try the local MF's parent store, Guitar Center. The return is no hassle. Don't be tempted by any coupon/promotion/10% off gift card off posted on MF's website. You'll get the same or better after mentioning it at a local Guitar Center store."

This review was modified by macki on June 15 2015 02:22:07 PM

"I'd ordered a few times with them with no problem, and was even pleasantly surprised when contacted via e-mail over an item that was out-of-stock and offering assistance to find similar items that were in stock. The first time, I'd known it was out-of-stock and was willing to wait. The second time, there were substitutes available and so I wrote back. No response.

A few weeks later, I get an identically worded e-mail from somebody else at Musician's Friend. Again, I write back and got no reply. I suppose I could've called, but with my busy schedule, this was not my highest priority. Eventually, they did ship it about three months late.

So, I'm not exactly irate, just rather disappointed. They had been my go-to merchant for purchasing musical gear, and I think I'll be dropping them down a few notches.

"this is the 3rd time I have bought something on sale that was cancelled after taking the order, presumably because it was out of stock. They need to fix their system so that it properly handles both preorders (that it views as backorders) and orders to out of stock items on sale. I still shop here because you can get some really good sales pricing for some items - but it can be really frustrating when they get you excited for a good deal that just later is cancelled."

This review was modified by whormongr on April 14 2015 12:34:30 PM

"Very dissatisfied with recent order! Took way too long to ship. Well be going elsewhere for my online musical purchases!"

"This is the best music place to buy from. Lowest prices, super fast and free shipping. Great customer service....etc."

This review was modified by imarvincr on February 05 2015 01:26:36 AM

"I've received a sudden letter from Caine & Wiener, a debt-collecting company, stating that I owe Musician's Friend a 201$!, Although I've never bought anything on credit from them, and I've been their customer for years.
After asking them to resolve this issue,They still refuse to resolve anything, saying that "there's nothing they can do about it", and asking me to resolve it myself with Caine & Wiener.(who also insist that I've to pay the specified due).
Make sure not to deal with them again, even for a single time, or you may find yourself receiving an annoying letter asking you to pay a debt you haven't taken!

This review was modified by Halloweening on January 26 2015 01:30:54 AM

"These guys won't honor their "Lowest Price Commitment" that states "We'll beat any verified price from any authorized US dealer for the identical new item up to 45 days from purchase".
Apparently, the deal I found was too good and they didn't want to beat it. First they told me that the other retailer wasn't an authorized dealer so they couldn't help me. The retailer was listed as an authorized dealer on the manufacturers website, so I sent them the link. Then they told me that the other retailer needed to have a storefront. So, I sent the other retailers storefront address (which was also on the manufacturers website). After that, they just ignored me and wouldn't reply to my emails until I threatened to contact the FTC. Then they gave me a price that did beat the other retailer by a couple of dollars, but they would not provide information on how to redeem that price and check out with Paypal. The last couple emails I've sent asking for more information have gone ignored. So, bottom line is they will not honor their advertised policy. What really pisses me off is that I spent $7159.94 with them since August 4, 2007 and they're willing to lose a customer over a price match of $74. The item was a TC Electronic G-Major that they had listed for $469 and I found it for $394.99 at Pitbull Audio in California. The hell with them, they'll never get another penny of my money.

This review was modified by matthewl0799 on January 24 2015 06:47:45 PM

"I have ordered about $2000 worth of gear and not one thing was defective. From drums and cymbals, to guitar pedals.. This place rocks. I called in and asked for a discount in which they worked out a great deal for me. I had recently been robbed and finding the money to make a purchase seemed quite hard.. So when I had the money MF hooked me up. I appreciated that. I have not had one problem to date with this company. When they sent me a extra $9 drum part, I wanted to return it but they just told me to keep it for the hassle. Great company. "

"Ordered a high priced Gibson guitar along with a 2 year warranty ($300). The guitar was flawed and MF would not honor the warranty because they claimed it was still under manufacturer's warranty. Why did they offer the warranty then in the first place? Now I have to ship it back to Gibson at my cost and see if they honor their warranty. Not pleased with MF's customer service at all."

This review was modified by WCA1227 on December 30 2014 01:16:57 PM

Share Musician's Friend's store rating

Musician's Friend is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Musician's Friend is not a merchant member
Musician's Friend does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!