Musician's FriCoupons

Chance of future purchase: Rating 3.21/10 3.21/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10

"I bought a Luna Guitar for my wife on November last year and I have to wait for almost a month to get it. I waited just because I needed for Christmas. It wasn't a good experience having to wait so long for the item to arrive.
On June I bought a Ukulele and I recevied an email saying that is a back order and I have to wait until mid July. After three email they reply saying that is expected to ship on August 15th.
MF has a very competitive prices but customer services is the worst and the delivery time is their weakness, so I decide not to buy from MF never again.

modified review This review was modified by jacob66 on July 18 2014 10:07:09 AM

"Bad Business all the way around! I purchased what was supposed to be a new Tone King Sky King Amplifier. Item arrived poorly packed and without it's original packaging. After it's first use it was extremely obvious there was something wrong with the $2995 amplifier. Contacted Musicians Friend to find that the item all though listed as new was indeed used. Tone King has dropped them as an authorized dealer and the estimate on a replacement was over 6 weeks. Still waiting on the entire refund. Poor way to conduct business. Long time buyer moving on to a more reputable dealer. "

modified review This review was modified by Dammc71 on July 12 2014 09:21:32 AM

"I am really surprised why Musician's Friend is getting any bad review at all. After reading some of the negative reviews here, I wrote them off. MF had better pricing, but I certainly didn't want to deal with any issues to save a few dollars.

But, then I read some positive reviews on another website. Someone also mentioned that MF had "new management." I figured that it might be worth at least speaking with them on the phone.

So, I called them several times and asked about all sorts of questions. Everyone of their sales staff were both knowledgeable and extremely nice.

I am glad I "took the chance" and purchased Yamaha dgx650 from them. Included in my purchase was a piano bench and a sustain pedal.

MF told me that my purchase would be delivered in two separate packages and within the next 5 to 7 business days. Both packages were delivered sooner than what they told me.

I had to return the pedal and the bench (not MF's fault.) They gave me no problem whatsoever with the return. They arranged the return process for me.

They just sent an email to let me know that they received the returned products and that they would be crediting me. Judging by their "performance" throughout the pre-order, order, delivery & returns process, I have no question that they will be crediting me soon.

Musician's Friend definitely surpassed my expectations, and I highly recommend them.

modified review This review was modified by yma071 on July 10 2014 02:33:06 PM

"Purchased 3 of the same item. One was new, the other two were open box. Actually, there was no box at all. Completely unacceptable for a new retail item."

"I ordered a refurbished Native Instruments Maschine Mk 2 for $100 less than retail from their website. They shipped me a Maschine Mk 1, which goes for much less online.

When I called in to tell them about the mistake, the customer service rep told me that refurbished items are often older models. When I pointed out that the picture on their website clearly shows a Mk 2 and not a Mk 1, he stated that they get their pictures straight from the manufactures and have no control over them. He rambled on for some time and said many outrageous things, and blamed me several times for their mistake.

I began to suspect that this guy had been coached on how to deal with customers who called them on their bait and switch operation. None of what he said made any sense from a business perspective.

Here's how the Musician's Friend Bait and Switch scam works:

* Musician's Friend buys old models at a steep discount (stuff that can easily be found at 50-75% of MSRP online)

* Musician's Friend sells it as a refurbished the new model at a modest discount (around 15% off MSRP)

* Musician's Friend banks on their customer service reps ability to talk upset customers out of refund.

DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM MUSICIAN'S FRIEND! It is not worth the headache.

modified review This review was modified by dirfti4 on February 07 2014 10:57:57 PM

"I have purchased 1000s of dollars worth of music equipment from Musicians Friend(?) in the past. I recently purchased an Epiphone PR-100 ($100) and an Epiphone PR-150 ($150) plus a Fender Squier Jaguar ($200) guitar. The Epiphones were purchased on the raving, positive comments of their telephone rep who said he had bought the same guitars himself and they were outstanding (MF probably gets "push" money from Epiphone). The guitars arrived (one box badly damaged) and were typical Asian (China, Indonisian) junky imports . I had originally planned to purchase a Yamaha, Recording King, or Washburn when I called, but the MF telephone rep gave Epiphone raves and convinced me they were the best deal/value for my money. I did expect better quality from the Squier Jaguar but it was another cheap, low quality import ($200)with concentric "click stop"(?)volume and tone controls. The click stop had little effect on the sound. No manual or warranty paper work in the box - it was probably a previously sold restock. The Squier also was badly scratched - I covered the scratch with a stick-on label. I called MF and their "customer support" rep informed me that I could return the guitars within 45 days at MY EXPENSE for an exchange. I hesitate to do this - who knows what they would send as replacements? MF has recently hired a new CEO - hope he can right the ship. Deceptive phone reps;cheap stock and shoddy business practices. Good-by MF! "

"ordered the sony mdr-7520 headphones on sunday jan. 26. received the item in perfect condition on tuesday jan. 28. can't ask for better than that!"

"Ordered a Tascam recorder and purchased a two year extended warranty. The next day I received an email saying that my order was canceled. I was at work and didn't have time to call and find out why, then I received another email stating my order was shipped. When I get a free moment to investigate, I see that my "shipped" item was the 2 year warranty. The warranty for the canceled item..... So I call them and the guy tells me that someone must've ordered the item faster than me and then tries to sell me crap II don't want. Never mentioned removing the warranty charge from my credit card. Used to be reputable, but it seems they are bait and switch now."

"I purchased the Line 6 Spider III amplifier several years ago from Musicians Friend. It never worked properly right out of the box. It is a stereo amp and one channel (the right side) has popped and crackled loudly from the very beginning. The thing has so many bells and whistles that I always just assumed that I must be doing something wrong and just did not use it or simply unplugged the speaker on that side to use it as a practice amp. No troubleshooting advice has rectified the situation and thus the amp continues to be useless as a gig amplifier. I understand that it is my own fault that I let the warranties run out before getting it serviced, but I also believe that circumstances are unique and that Line 6 should back up their products. The fix will be out of my pocket, at least $100 by anyones estimates. As a side note, I also purchased a Line 6 FBV Express effects pedal from Amazon around the same time. It also malfunctioned right out of the box (wah/volume toggle never worked), but Amazon still replaced it more than 6 months later. I guess the moral is: Do not buy expensive electronics online - especially ones that weigh more than 50 lbs. It is just too much hassle for the few bucks that you save. I will never buy another Line 6 product."

modified review This review was modified by Roadhardrocker on September 30 2013 03:27:15 PM

"I do have a problem with advertising 15 percent off products, then finding out when you enter the promo code, that it does not apply to that product. Why not put that information up front in the advertisement in the product or ordering description? I'm really disappointed. I understand that the manufacturer will have some agreement and/or mandate that there can not be any price below something they set in order to remain an authorized or licensed dealer. But again, my opinion only, it should be made obvious at the outset that the discount or whatever buyer's incentive does not apply to this product or brand. This exclusion was not prominently displayed on the advertisement... I had to hunt for it when it was discovered when ordering the 15% discount did not apply. Really hunt for it.

BTW - it's a made-up order number to get this posted. I did not order the product when I found out the "promo code" did not apply on this item on Labor Day and the price was the same as any other day, and for for the most part other places.

Again, my gripe - if you are going to advertise a discount, then for crying out loud DO NOT bait us and then put an asterisk next to the screaming ad with a disclaimer in microprint as far down the page as possible. That's chicken. Put the deal up front and center, clear up front terms, or do not do it at all.

When I see something like this, it is is a RED FLAG... at least to me. Reading some of the reviews below - there are a few good ones, but the 1-stars seem to predominate. I know that people will only post if they are really happy with the product, or if they had a bad experience. I see a lot of gripes. I'm not hammering MF on service or quality of goods. In fact, I know many who have used MF in the past with good results and experiences. And to add to that, to MF's credit, they do have a manager of customer service that responds to issues. I just wish the ad was up front to begin with.

modified review This review was modified by patakyed on September 03 2013 12:36:59 AM

"Worst place on earth to buy anything from. You are getting musical instruments unseen and unplayed and... well they deliver absolute junk. Unless you are willing to swallow all kinds of shipping charges to get replacement junk, you are screwed. I bought a Rogue mandolin off them and it arrived in a completely unplayable condition and it's not worth the work to make it playable."

modified review This review was modified by ChollyMo on August 29 2013 06:57:33 PM

"This is my first purchase from Musician's Friend. I ordered a small piano bench which arrived promptly. Upon opening the undamaged box, there was a cut on one of the corners on the padded chair. I contacted their Customer Service the next morning and was given a UPS return label. The lady on the phone was polite and provided me specific instruction on returning the damaged product back to them. I packaged the box back as instructed and when they received the box, I was notified via email. A replacement was shipped out promptly as well, which I was also notified via email. I received my replacement bench without any issue. "

modified review This review was modified by mookoo on August 15 2013 08:49:45 PM

"Never have anything in stock, always delay/backordered for months. If you order anything from these people be prepare to wait for months. If you call their customer service they have no any idea about anything else that is not already posted online. God only knows what exactly they have the "customer service" for. The only thing you can do with these clowns is to cancel the order when you call them.

Just read the reviews here and you will see this is not unusual complaint.

modified review This review was modified by daveduda on April 11 2013 07:23:21 AM

"I ordered a violin from Musician's Friends on 2/28/2013. The Company emailed me and notified me that it is on back order until 3/26/2013. However, they didn't ship the violin (today) and they didn't send email to notify me that the item I have ordered has been delay again to 5/3/2013. I found this out the hard way by going to their site and trying to make an order again. It was then, I know it was delayed."

"Awful, awful service. First, I can't get in, although I'm not certain it was because my password was wrong or not. I ask to reset it, yet a reset password is never sent to my email. I actually had to create a new account to order something - THEN, even that new account never gets any verification email that it was ordered or that the account was created. What gives!? I call them and they say there's a "verification hold" on the order but that everything is fine. I doubt everything is fine and still to my knowledge, the order hasn't shipped. Probably the last time I order from Musicians Friend."

Musician's Friend is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Musician's Friend is not a merchant member
Musician's Friend does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!