Musician's FriCoupons

Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.82/10 1.82/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.06/10 3.06/10

"Ordered a NEW amp on Thanksgiving day. Kinda a Christmas Present to myself. Head arrived defective. They sent me one someone already returned. Cabinets backorder date was 12/6/14. Now its in the middle of January. Canceled order and sent back head. A week since they received it, and still no refund. Almost all their salesman dodge you. Wont return my calls or emails. I am not mean or cursing. Always getting stuck with a new person. TOTAL NIGHTMARE. BELIEVE THE BAD STORYS! bought my first amp from MF 15 years ago. They are not a good company to deal with anymore. I ordered mine during 15% off and it is worth the extra money to go somewhere else."

modified review This review was modified by dickdangerous on December 17 2014 06:27:01 PM

"I went on line to purchase and Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro. I entered the 15% discount code and received a message that the discount doesn't apply to this piece of equipment. So I went to read the discount exclusions. They are as follows: "Only one coupon may be used per transaction. Not valid on past purchases. Coupon is valid on select products only and does not apply to: Stupid Deal or On Sale products, Restocks, Gold Coverage, AppleCare, Gift Certificates." This guitar was not a stupid deal, onsale, a restock, etc....

So I contacted them by online chat. I explained that the exclusions did not apply to the Epiphone guitar I was going to purchase. He then gave me a list of over ten manufacturers which were not covered by the discount. I asked him why this wasn't specified in the ad or in the exclusions. He hung up on me.

You want great service and lower prices than Musician's Friend, buy at SWEETWATER MUSIC. I have been dealing with them for over 15 years and any problem I may have encountered, they took care of right away. More importantly, SWEETWATER MUSIC doesn't bait and switch. What you see is what you get.

"Good and Bad. Got a great deal on an Epiphone es339 Ultra.
Recieved on time. So far so good. Opened box and found cracks in the finish where the nut meets the neck. Not just small cracks but very noticeable cracks. I'm sure they were caused by whomever in China put the nut in.so they replaced the guitar promptly. Second guitar recieved withy he same issue , though not as bad as first. Who as fault? Is it Epihones poor quality control? Is it Musicians Friends ? Are they knowingly selling seconds when they say they are not? I would give MF the benifit of the doubt except for all the negative reviews they have. Spotty but From now on I'll buy elsewhere,deal or not.

"This is a terrible company, period. Unfortunately, there are a few really good guys working there, but the overall company is out for one thing - to take your money, and then abandon all responsibility after that, from horrible packing to even worse shipping services. They simply don't stand behind the products they sell. Almost everything I've ever ordered from them has arrived damaged. Sure, they will return everything, but why not take more care before it ships out? We'd all save more money that way. I give up on this company, after many years of trying to give them more chances."

modified review This review was modified by weve1272 on December 12 2014 06:00:28 PM

"Horrible experience twice. Both experiences were guitar purchase. The guitar I bought was on sale and arrived with damaged frets. Basically when I wrote an email about the issue the guitar had they tried to tell em different stories: We can't exchange because your payment was through paypal. When I called the other story was that: we don't have that model on stock which was later a lie. "

modified review This review was modified by shredhero on October 24 2014 09:21:13 AM

"I have to laugh reading these reviews. I have literally purchased thousands of dollars or gear, almost all new, and have NEVER had one problem. Never! Over the last four years. Just some of the stuff we bought:
Fender MIM Strat;
Blackstar combo tube amp;
Fender travel amp;
Provia keyboard, etc.

As well as:

Drum set, high hat, E practice pad, sticks
Tuners, capos, strings, cleaning supplies, straps, tools, books, string winders, cases, gig bags, picks, music stands, pedals, cables, a microphone, iPad interfaces, etc. Even used pickups (Fender CS 69s).

I have NEVER, never had any trouble with MF. They beat every price, every time. And right now, they are even replacing the amp that I ordered when I ordered the wrong one. No shipping fees being charged either way. No restocking fee even though I opened it and played for five minutes. Even when the 15% code doesn't work, if you call or chat they will give you a code that does work. And if they can't give you the code, they will give you free stuff equal to the money that you would have saved. I actually don't know how they stay in business with such low prices, etc.

No, I'm not an employee. I doubt MF cares if I write this review. I'm just a guy with literally 12 pages of orders over the last four years.

"This company is full of liars. There was a credit card promo but this company would not let me use it, they claimed that the number I gave did not match my card company's records, which is BS because it's NEVER happened with ANY other merchant in five years, and I haven't changed numbers in almost a decade.

I updated my cc anyway, then asked them to redo it. They said ok on phone, then nothing. I chatted online a few days later and they said that it was authorized but for some reason wasn't updated. I said fine just do it. Nothing for days, I send them another message and this time they simply cancelled my order.

And this was no fluke--my wife placed a similar order and they made up b.s. about how the credit card wasn't going through but they'd take a bank transfer. She said no, but could she give them the card number again over the phone. They refused and demanded a bank account number. AS IF we would give these crooks a bank account number!

Basically the company tried to weasel out of actually honoring their promo via my card company. I can't recommend these liars and will never do business with them again. Plus their prices usually suck anyway.

modified review This review was modified by victimizedbycrummycompany on August 10 2014 11:08:34 PM

"I'm very unhappy about the way this company treats its customers. I've ordered a ton of things from MF over the last several years. Most recently I ordered a Q4 Zoom audio/video recorder for an upcoming gig which was advertised as new. The item arrived in packaging with tape on the outside that said "QA INSPECTED." Sure enough, the item was defective and split my test session recording into several segments. The recordings would stop midway through songs and start a new recording! I did speak with MF personnel and they have agreed to send me a new item after informing me that it was "clearly" advertised as used. Not true! Images of the item on the website were all from the manufacturer and nothing indicated that it was used. I received no apology. This is a huge inconvenience as I have an upcoming gig and wont have a way to record.

Also, last year, I ordered a guitar tuner. The item arrived broken in half and was placed in a plastic, ziplock baggy. They sent a new one but this is downright insulting as a customer. I wrote the guitar tuner off as a rogue incident but I know now that this is the way this company does its business. Beware if you need an item quickly. Merchandise is advertised as new but that may not be what you receive in the mail. They will replace defective items but this won't help you if you need something reliable in a pinch. You'll also be required to return items to the company which is an added inconvenience. I'm taking my business elsewhere.

modified review This review was modified by LongboardTokyo on August 02 2014 04:06:44 PM

"I bought a Luna Guitar for my wife on November last year and I have to wait for almost a month to get it. I waited just because I needed for Christmas. It wasn't a good experience having to wait so long for the item to arrive.
On June I bought a Ukulele and I recevied an email saying that is a back order and I have to wait until mid July. After three email they reply saying that is expected to ship on August 15th.
MF has a very competitive prices but customer services is the worst and the delivery time is their weakness, so I decide not to buy from MF never again.

modified review This review was modified by jacob66 on July 18 2014 10:07:09 AM

"Bad Business all the way around! I purchased what was supposed to be a new Tone King Sky King Amplifier. Item arrived poorly packed and without it's original packaging. After it's first use it was extremely obvious there was something wrong with the $2995 amplifier. Contacted Musicians Friend to find that the item all though listed as new was indeed used. Tone King has dropped them as an authorized dealer and the estimate on a replacement was over 6 weeks. Still waiting on the entire refund. Poor way to conduct business. Long time buyer moving on to a more reputable dealer. "

modified review This review was modified by Dammc71 on July 12 2014 09:21:32 AM

"I am really surprised why Musician's Friend is getting any bad review at all. After reading some of the negative reviews here, I wrote them off. MF had very good pricing, but not worth it to deal with problems to save some money.

But, I read some positive reviews on another website. I figured that it might be worth at least speaking with them on the phone. I called them several times and asked about all sorts of questions. Everyone of their sales staff were both knowledgeable and extremely nice.

I am glad I "took the chance" and placed an order for a Yamaha dgx650 along with a bench and a sustain pedal. MF told me that my purchase would be delivered in two separate packages and within the next 5 to 7 business days. Both packages were delivered sooner than what they told me.

I had to return the pedal and the bench (not MF's fault, I didn't need them.) They gave me no problem whatsoever with the return. They arranged the return process for me, sent me an email to let me know that they received the returned products, and then credited my card within a couple of days.

I have very high expectations, and seldom bother to write up a review to recommend a business. But, I am much pleased by their "performance" throughout the pre-order, order, delivery & returns process. Musician's Friend definitely surpassed my expectations, and I highly recommend them.

modified review This review was modified by yma071 on August 03 2014 10:43:15 AM

"Purchased 3 of the same item. One was new, the other two were open box. Actually, there was no box at all. Completely unacceptable for a new retail item."

"I ordered a refurbished Native Instruments Maschine Mk 2 for $100 less than retail from their website. They shipped me a Maschine Mk 1, which goes for much less online.

When I called in to tell them about the mistake, the customer service rep told me that refurbished items are often older models. When I pointed out that the picture on their website clearly shows a Mk 2 and not a Mk 1, he stated that they get their pictures straight from the manufactures and have no control over them. He rambled on for some time and said many outrageous things, and blamed me several times for their mistake.

I began to suspect that this guy had been coached on how to deal with customers who called them on their bait and switch operation. None of what he said made any sense from a business perspective.

Here's how the Musician's Friend Bait and Switch scam works:

* Musician's Friend buys old models at a steep discount (stuff that can easily be found at 50-75% of MSRP online)

* Musician's Friend sells it as a refurbished the new model at a modest discount (around 15% off MSRP)

* Musician's Friend banks on their customer service reps ability to talk upset customers out of refund.

DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM MUSICIAN'S FRIEND! It is not worth the headache.

modified review This review was modified by dirfti4 on February 07 2014 10:57:57 PM

"I have purchased 1000s of dollars worth of music equipment from Musicians Friend(?) in the past. I recently purchased an Epiphone PR-100 ($100) and an Epiphone PR-150 ($150) plus a Fender Squier Jaguar ($200) guitar. The Epiphones were purchased on the raving, positive comments of their telephone rep who said he had bought the same guitars himself and they were outstanding (MF probably gets "push" money from Epiphone). The guitars arrived (one box badly damaged) and were typical Asian (China, Indonisian) junky imports . I had originally planned to purchase a Yamaha, Recording King, or Washburn when I called, but the MF telephone rep gave Epiphone raves and convinced me they were the best deal/value for my money. I did expect better quality from the Squier Jaguar but it was another cheap, low quality import ($200)with concentric "click stop"(?)volume and tone controls. The click stop had little effect on the sound. No manual or warranty paper work in the box - it was probably a previously sold restock. The Squier also was badly scratched - I covered the scratch with a stick-on label. I called MF and their "customer support" rep informed me that I could return the guitars within 45 days at MY EXPENSE for an exchange. I hesitate to do this - who knows what they would send as replacements? MF has recently hired a new CEO - hope he can right the ship. Deceptive phone reps;cheap stock and shoddy business practices. Good-by MF! "

"ordered the sony mdr-7520 headphones on sunday jan. 26. received the item in perfect condition on tuesday jan. 28. can't ask for better than that!"

Musician's Friend is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Musician's Friend is not a merchant member
Musician's Friend does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!