Musician's Fri Coupons
  • Rating 2.50/10 184 reviews

Musician's Friend is not a merchant member
    Musician's Friend does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • Musician's Friend contact information

Product & services pricing Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 6.67/10 6.67/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10

"I ordered a refurbished Native Instruments Maschine Mk 2 for $100 less than retail from their website. They shipped me a Maschine Mk 1, which goes for much less online.

When I called in to tell them about the mistake, the customer service rep told me that refurbished items are often older models. When I pointed out that the picture on their website clearly shows a Mk 2 and not a Mk 1, he stated that they get their pictures straight from the manufactures and have no control over them. He rambled on for some time and said many outrageous things, and blamed me several times for their mistake.

I began to suspect that this guy had been coached on how to deal with customers who called them on their bait and switch operation. None of what he said made any sense from a business perspective.

Here's how the Musician's Friend Bait and Switch scam works:

* Musician's Friend buys old models at a steep discount (stuff that can easily be found at 50-75% of MSRP online)

* Musician's Friend sells it as a refurbished the new model at a modest discount (around 15% off MSRP)

* Musician's Friend banks on their customer service reps ability to talk upset customers out of refund.

DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM MUSICIAN'S FRIEND! It is not worth the headache.

modified review This review was modified by dirfti4 on February 07 2014 10:57:57 PM

"I have purchased 1000s of dollars worth of music equipment from Musicians Friend(?) in the past. I recently purchased an Epiphone PR-100 ($100) and an Epiphone PR-150 ($150) plus a Fender Squier Jaguar ($200) guitar. The Epiphones were purchased on the raving, positive comments of their telephone rep who said he had bought the same guitars himself and they were outstanding (MF probably gets "push" money from Epiphone). The guitars arrived (one box badly damaged) and were typical Asian (China, Indonisian) junky imports . I had originally planned to purchase a Yamaha, Recording King, or Washburn when I called, but the MF telephone rep gave Epiphone raves and convinced me they were the best deal/value for my money. I did expect better quality from the Squier Jaguar but it was another cheap, low quality import ($200)with concentric "click stop"(?)volume and tone controls. The click stop had little effect on the sound. No manual or warranty paper work in the box - it was probably a previously sold restock. The Squier also was badly scratched - I covered the scratch with a stick-on label. I called MF and their "customer support" rep informed me that I could return the guitars within 45 days at MY EXPENSE for an exchange. I hesitate to do this - who knows what they would send as replacements? MF has recently hired a new CEO - hope he can right the ship. Deceptive phone reps;cheap stock and shoddy business practices. Good-by MF! "

"ordered the sony mdr-7520 headphones on sunday jan. 26. received the item in perfect condition on tuesday jan. 28. can't ask for better than that!"

"I purchased the Line 6 Spider III amplifier several years ago from Musicians Friend. It never worked properly right out of the box. It is a stereo amp and one channel (the right side) has popped and crackled loudly from the very beginning. The thing has so many bells and whistles that I always just assumed that I must be doing something wrong and just did not use it or simply unplugged the speaker on that side to use it as a practice amp. No troubleshooting advice has rectified the situation and thus the amp continues to be useless as a gig amplifier. I understand that it is my own fault that I let the warranties run out before getting it serviced, but I also believe that circumstances are unique and that Line 6 should back up their products. The fix will be out of my pocket, at least $100 by anyones estimates. As a side note, I also purchased a Line 6 FBV Express effects pedal from Amazon around the same time. It also malfunctioned right out of the box (wah/volume toggle never worked), but Amazon still replaced it more than 6 months later. I guess the moral is: Do not buy expensive electronics online - especially ones that weigh more than 50 lbs. It is just too much hassle for the few bucks that you save. I will never buy another Line 6 product."

modified review This review was modified by Roadhardrocker on September 30 2013 03:27:15 PM

"Worst place on earth to buy anything from. You are getting musical instruments unseen and unplayed and... well they deliver absolute junk. Unless you are willing to swallow all kinds of shipping charges to get replacement junk, you are screwed. I bought a Rogue mandolin off them and it arrived in a completely unplayable condition and it's not worth the work to make it playable."

modified review This review was modified by ChollyMo on August 29 2013 06:57:33 PM

"This is my first purchase from Musician's Friend. I ordered a small piano bench which arrived promptly. Upon opening the undamaged box, there was a cut on one of the corners on the padded chair. I contacted their Customer Service the next morning and was given a UPS return label. The lady on the phone was polite and provided me specific instruction on returning the damaged product back to them. I packaged the box back as instructed and when they received the box, I was notified via email. A replacement was shipped out promptly as well, which I was also notified via email. I received my replacement bench without any issue. "

modified review This review was modified by mookoo on August 15 2013 08:49:45 PM

"I ordered a violin from Musician's Friends on 2/28/2013. The Company emailed me and notified me that it is on back order until 3/26/2013. However, they didn't ship the violin (today) and they didn't send email to notify me that the item I have ordered has been delay again to 5/3/2013. I found this out the hard way by going to their site and trying to make an order again. It was then, I know it was delayed."

"Awful, awful service. First, I can't get in, although I'm not certain it was because my password was wrong or not. I ask to reset it, yet a reset password is never sent to my email. I actually had to create a new account to order something - THEN, even that new account never gets any verification email that it was ordered or that the account was created. What gives!? I call them and they say there's a "verification hold" on the order but that everything is fine. I doubt everything is fine and still to my knowledge, the order hasn't shipped. Probably the last time I order from Musicians Friend."

"Order something on January 8th marked as in stock. It was not I was told it will shipped March 4th. Now it is March 15th. Was told they would only charge my card once it shipped. It was charged IMMEDIATELY. Prices are good but not worth this kind of hassle. "

"I WAS having a good experience with this company until I tried to send back four items that I had originally ordered for $50 with "free" shipping.
When I wanted to send the items back, I had to pay $30 to ship and then when they were processed I was given a refund minus the "shipping charge." I was told by their customer service that because they sent the items as "free shipping" originally they were deducting the shipping charge.
I was told that their refund policy was clearly stated on their web site. I read the same policy before ordering and saw nothing about this. They refused to budge on this even though I had spent hundreds of dollars with them.
The lesson is, if you are absolutely sure you are keeping the items, it's not bad. If there's a remote chance you will return products, you are out of luck.
I will never order from them again. It's a shame that they aren't interested in good customer service.

"I hope you never need warranty service from them. I did and got no joy what-so-ever. Called several times about my problem with my new Ibanez guitar and got nothing but the run-around. Was told I should have purchased a Musician's Friend warranty. They wouldn't give the phone number of Ibanez. I had to find it through an authorized repair center. Called Ibanez and got very good response."

"Ordered the last two of an item that were restocks. Got a weird email the next day saying that they were backlogged but the amount backordered was ZERO and they would let me know when they arrived. I called that afternoon and was told that this was an error. The service rep did extensive research and said I had gotten the last 2 that they had and the email was just a weird error. I said, "Are you sure?" and he said he was, that he had verified they had 2 and that they were now reserved to me and should ship soon. GREAT! I thought. I thanked him and hung up.
A day later, I got a call from a different rep.
Him: Oh we need to cancel your order. We don't have these.
Me: But I just confirmed with your rep yesterday that you did in fact have two and they were going to be shipped to me.
Him: I can tell you that we most definitely do not have these and don't know when we will be getting any in.

I'm beyond furious! Don't LIE to me on the PHONE! Do they record their conversations? I'm now without product, and the guy showed no remorse. He actually seemed like he just wanted to get off the phone and onto the next phone call that would ruin another person's day.

I will never order from Musician's Friend again, and will make sure my associates know of my dealings so they won't want to either. HORRIBLE SERVICE!

"Purchased a Pick 'n Glide chair for approx. $300 in Oct 2011. Paid an additional $70 for shipping. When it arrived, the box was ripped and assembly contents were not individually wrapped within, but packaged loosely. It was a birthday gift so we were in earnest to use it. Have discovered that one of the brackets was cracked, and would not have cracked from weight. Deducing that either the product was faulty, or the shipping was. We were told to contact the chair's manufacturer, who was as nice as could be, and he sent us out (at his cost) replacement brackets. He as well agreed that shipping is poor at best from these merchants at times and it oftentimes causes his product to suffer. Doesn't seem right. "

"Absolutely terrible experience...do not waste your time with them. Everthing you read about bait and switch is correct...should be and is illegal. Never a problem with Sam Ash."

"Over time, I have purchased a number of items from MusiciansFriend. I have never had a bad experience. Recently, I purchased a 2012 Fender American Stratocaster from MusiciansFriend. The experience could not have been better. I was able to get a price match on the item with absolutely no hassle (they matched a price from Hello Music). The sales people I spoke to were kind, courteous and helpful. I ordered the guitar on 12/11/2012 and received it on 12/15/2012 (two business days earlier than promised).

The guitar came in a factory sealed box that had never been opened. The Strat was pristene.

To complete the experience, they sent me a $45 coupon for half the amount of the price match reduction.

Overall, it is hard to imagine how this interchange could have been any better. Thanks MusiciansFriend!