• Microsoft Store

Chance of future purchase: Rating 0.36/10 0.36/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.83/10 0.83/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.25/10 1.25/10

"Worst online retail experience ever.

I shop a lot online. I've purchased from Dell, Best Buy, Newegg, etc. Microsoft Store is the WORST ordering experience I've ever had.

I had to place an order 4 times over the the course of several days just to get my laptop. Microsoft WILL CANCEL YOUR ORDER AND DOES NOT BOTHER TO CONTACT YOU, so be sure to look for a confirmation e-mail to make sure your order goes through.

My order was cancelled due to the following reasons:
1. If the purchase sets off a fraud alert on your credit card, they will cancel your order or blame a glitch in their system.

2. If your shipping address does not match your billing address, Microsoft will cancel your order. I get that this is a security measure to prevent fraudulent transactions, but Microsoft does not tell you that or bother to verify. Instead, it will simply cancel your order. So instead of having the laptop sent to my work where I or a coworker can sign for it, it was left at the front door all for the sake of "security."

3. Their system is glitchy. If you do not get a confirmation email within 4-6 hours of placing an order, it probably got cancelled, and no one will contact you.

After the fourth time, my order finally went through, but my god. If it weren't for the 10 percent education discount, I would've shopped elsewhere. Their ordering system is really, really stupid.

At least shipping was fast.

"Extremely bad customer service. Their support people are confrontational, rude and have a 'cannot do' attitude. The video chatting showed one of them laughing at my trouble as if it's amusing him to torture clients. I ordered 7 HP tablets from the store as a gift to a school. A the top of the screen they advertise $25 gift card with purchase. Before ordering I had a chat session with them and asked about the offer and whether it's one gift card per tablet. They confirmed it was. After ordering I got an email with a link to get the gift card. I followed the instructions and got an error "PC does not qualify". Connected to support again and they told me that I had to click that link ON THE TABLET. Since I ordered this as a gift and shipped it to another state, it was impossible for me to do this, thus I couldn't claim the gift card. They don't tell you this on the HP info page, and they never mentioned it when I inquired about the offer via chat. The only time I learned about it was after I ordered and when I tried to redeem. Their support refused to help saying they cannot help. I asked for a supervisor that just repeated what the support said. Even worse, they were confrontational in their attitude and even challenged me to get a resolution from the supervisor! Wow! MS, you can copy Apple's store and ideas, but you also need to copy their SERVICE if you want to compete!"

"Microsoft's online store lives in the dark ages of the internet. I have (or had) an individual membership for Office 365. I simply wanted to upgrade my membership to the Home version (more licenses). At most sites, you'd simply login to you account, select the current plan you have and hit an upgrade button. Not at Microsoft. So far it's taken an online chat, four emails, and two phone calls. At this time my personal account has be deactivated and I have not received the promised code to activate my Home account. That means that right now I cannot use Office 365 and I cannot access my files on OneDrive. CRAZY!"

modified review This review was modified by RottenRod on April 18 2015 10:29:04 PM

"Biggest waste of time and headache a person can imagine. It is unreal how hard it is to figure out what went wrong or why as my order was pretty simple and one single item.
Throwing errors on their site that their representatives do not seem to have a good understanding of, order get put "under review" after it eventually successfully makes it to order completed and all for nothing.
Ended up attempting their chat feature (dont waste your time unless it is a pre-sales question. That's right, software giant MS cannot help you with actual order issues through chat like the rest of the world).
The phone representative was friendly enough but wasn't much of help. We shared quite a streak of dead air on the phone until I figured out she was waiting for me to attempt to order again. Same error of course so my time is wasted and will just find another vendor.
I really expected more from Microsoft.

"Laptop froze within 24 hours. Spent time with 4 support people on the phone. Realized that support was very poor. Returned laptop."

modified review This review was modified by eggertson on March 04 2015 06:15:38 PM

"so, it was time to renew my office 365 subscription. I chatted with a sales rep on their store site about the best deal, and settled on a deal where i buy a tablet and get office for one year plus a $25 gift card, for only $15 more than just getting office alone. They sent the tablet, but not the office key or the gift card. And when I contacted them, I was told that I needed to repurchase office separately even tho my order confirmation clearly lists it as included. SO PISSED OFF!"

modified review This review was modified by acclic on February 27 2015 06:22:48 PM

"Purchased Office online - told processing would take 4-6 hours (to get keys and download link). After multiple calls - now being told 48 hours (maybe). Customer service is awful!!"

modified review This review was modified by BHogan19720 on February 24 2015 09:59:50 AM

"I guess Microsoft only posts positive reviews?? OK, they have fooled me once and stolen my $99 but that will be the last time. Apple from now on for everything.

From: Microsoft Store [mailto:noreply@microsoft.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:18 AM
To: SYF2
Subject: Your review has been moderated

It cannot be published to the website, but.. —

SYF2,

Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!

Submit something new

Thanks again,
Microsoft Store

Wasted $99 and time but no diagnosis or solution
Was having BSOD crashes related to the Display driver, probably some kind of conflict between the Windows Update driver software and that provided by the manufacturer of the laptop although I am not sure. Dealt with a succession of support folks including supposedly higher level "engineers" but none seemed to have any clue and all just wanted to go through some standard list of activities, none of which appeared related to, got us closer to an accurate diagnosis of the problem or solved the issue despite a whole amount of time wasted.

Microsoft respects your privacy. Please view our online Privacy Statement . To set your contact preferences for other Microsoft communications, see the communications preferences section of the Microsoft Privacy Statement.

This email was sent by: Microsoft
One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA, 98052, USA

SYF2 2/21/15 9:52AM

modified review This review was modified by syf2 on February 21 2015 09:07:15 AM

"I purchased a 1 HP Stream 11 Signature Edition Laptop and an Asus VivoTab 8 on 12/7/2014 online via the Microsoft Store. I realized that I placed the wrong address, and I called within five minutes either to correct the order to cancel. Needless to say, I spoke to a representative who explained that I would be sent two orders of the same product because the address could not be changed. Instead, the wrong address was canceled, revised, and another order was added. None of that made sense, but I was reassured that I could return the products without any hassles.

I received both orders, and instead of returning the duplicate order online , I returned the products to a retail store. According the the Microsoft website, online purchases can be returned to a retail store. The customer service rep at the store said he would return the items, gave me a receipt with a refund number, and said I should check within 3-5 days for a refund.

The date is 2/21/2015 and I have yet to receive a refund. I have called Microsoft online on three occasions, but I was told they do not have the ability to check the order. I have called the retail store twice and was told the items are in the possession of Microsoft, but the refund can take up to 9 weeks. How can a company who is in the business of computers not have the ability to check invoices and order numbers, change names, or cancel orders?

So disappointed by this experience. I am going to avoid Microsoft as much as I can, which includes dumping my Windows phone and learning to use another operating system...

modified review This review was modified by Nolongerafan on March 04 2015 09:37:54 PM

"I went to a local Microsoft Store here at a mall. I purchased the Stream 7 tablet they had on sale. Few days later I notice my bank statement isn't balancing and find that I have been charged twice for the tablet. Now I get to deal with disputing the transaction to get my money back for one of the purchases. The girl working had me sign twice and before I signed the second time I asked why and she said the charge didn't go through. Funny it sure looks like it went through on my bank statement."

"Terrible. They took my money within seconds, but after a week they still hasn't processed my order. The order was for a digital download of windows. It should take seconds, not days, to confirm an order for download. Requested a refund since I had to buy windows from another source. 3 weeks later, still no refund. That was my first time trying to buy from Microsoftstore, and it will be the last. You lost a customer."

modified review This review was modified by kbonilla on January 26 2015 05:35:05 PM

"I bought an ASUS Net Book around Christmas of 2013. I got it home and it died after a few months. I am a truck driver over the road and use MS Streets and Trips, so I needed a Windows platform Tablet or Notebook while it was in the store for repair. I bought a Dell Venue Pro 8 inch that was on "sale."
It was a piece of garbage and later when I finally talked to Dell Techs, I was informed that it had a Bios chip #1, which needed to be upgraded to Number nine.
. The thing sat in the closet for most of a year because every time I tried to use it there was one issue after another. The main issue is that the keyboard was so sensitive, the moment you typed on it three to eight letters would pop up for each key stroke hit. Finally, realizing the thing would be out of warranty, I spent about two months talking to Dell Techs. Besides the Bios needing an upgrade they took control of unit and upgraded all kinds of stuff, along with numerous patches and upgrades. The thing still had the same issues, just not as bad. Finally, I was given a Verizon Hot Spot by a friend. Well, it connected to everything but my Dell Tablet. It sat for more weeks, I couldn't even give it to my niece for Christmas, as it is worthless. Finally, I went back to Houston walked in the store and told my story. They tried everything but couldn't get it to connect to Hotspot. I told them again, that that wasn't the only issue, after they decided to send to Dell directly.
As I explained the keyboard issue they acknowledged that those "units," had a slight issue. Later the manager comes by and says "Well, you can't get updates when the thing is sitting in a closet."
This was when he thought that an update was going to fix the problem. It didn't.
I answered him, "Well, you can't own a computer when a store knowingly sells you faulty products." He walked away. Meanwhile, Christmas they had an Acer 11.6 Laptop that was marked down 40%. Like an idiot, I bought one.
My Tablet is still in "repair," because I suspect that they are waiting for warranty to expire in March. Nonetheless, I am going to extend warranty for forty dollars to spite them. And then for the next year, I am going to get it out of repair and demand they put it right back in until they fix it.
My new laptop has many issues as well. If you don't bang on spacebar it won't work. It won't plug in to an inverter which I need on road, as every other computer laptop or Tablets all work with inverter. This cord is faulty, however, and doesn't consistently carry current.
I have come to the conclusion that Microsoft Store buys problem merchandise from it's distributors and then places these items on supposedly "Great Sales," it is a joke.
Unless, you are buying a Mircrosoft product, I wouldn't purchase a battery or cord from these crooks. Plain and Simple. John@thehandofthelord.org
Bought latest on 12-22-14 Transaction 12642674129

modified review This review was modified by colwelljohng on January 21 2015 08:19:44 AM

"Horrible customer service. I ordered an HP Stream 7 handheld for a christmas gift and received on 11/25/2014. Gift receipient wanted another handheld instead. Called Microsoft Store to request a return/reorder for my new and unopened product, but they refused because my request was placed 2 days after their strict 30 day refund policy - NO EXCEPTIONS! You cannot reach a representative in the USA whose primary language is English. Very disappointed. BUYER BEWARE!"

modified review This review was modified by Dreamalaska on January 07 2015 01:44:18 PM

"WORST SERVICE
This is by far the worst online experience that I have had so far with online shopping. They don't even do the shipping properly. I have ordered a Lenovo Flex laptop and paid for expidited shipping (2 days by air) as I need it by 6th of January. I have ordered this product on 30th december 2014 and was eagerly waiting for it. I haven't received the product even on 5th jan 2015. I call Microsoft Support and she puts me in a call with UPS agent. The UPS agent says it is given as GROUND shipping and that I will receive the product by end of 7th jan. Are you kidding me ????? I need this product by 6th. This is supposed to be a surprise Bday gift to my cousin in India and my aunt is leaving on 6th... I paid for the expeditation as well. Then.... why on hell can that not happen ?? If fast shipping is not present, then, why did u even charge me for that and provide false expectations ??? LEAST EXPECTED FROM MICROSOFT STORE... You don't even to a 5% of customer satisfaction that Amazon provides !!!! Can't even deliver the orders on date !!! I wonder why the hell are you in retain business.... Completely disappointed all my plans in the new year ... I would never buy ANYTHING from you guys....

modified review This review was modified by pdmn on January 05 2015 11:54:38 AM

"I ordered an Xbox One bundle that was advertising a $50 gift card with the purchase. After I checked out I did not see the gift card on my receipt. I contacted Microsoft and they told me it was after Midnight when I placed the order so they would not give me the gift card. As I am writing this, the gift card is still being advertised on their web site. This is false advertising. I will never order from these crooks again. It was before midnight when I started shopping."

modified review This review was modified by missbj321 on January 03 2015 11:28:03 PM

Share Microsoft Store's store rating

Microsoft Store is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Microsoft Store is not a merchant member
Microsoft Store does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!